ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #1966
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,189
Howdy All,

Please excuse my ignorance, how does one get to this "Montana drop box" that a lot of you folks are contributing to and are there any special skills needed to access and use the contents of it? Thanks for any enlightenment you may provide.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #1967
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post

Response From AZDRMN
I know the Montana team is looking into doing this. Hopefully it will be in an upcoming firmware update.
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #1968
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy All,

Please excuse my ignorance, how does one get to this "Montana drop box" that a lot of you folks are contributing to and are there any special skills needed to access and use the contents of it? Thanks for any enlightenment you may provide.
Dave,

We don't yet have any Profiles or Shortcuts posted other than mine. There are some nice Background images though. Here are the steps to get Dropbox access. Dropbox is a web server that allows you to keep info on the web and sync it with any all computers/mobile devices/ you wish to. In this case I set up an account and I am sharing that account with all Montana users who are interested. This is called a Shared Account and is use for groups to share information (files) with each other. If you add files, we all see them on our computer. If you delete files we all potentially have them deleted form our computer. So, some care is required since when you logon, the Montana Dropbox is like your own.
  1. Dropbox install button is at following this link: www.dropbox.com
  2. At the Dropbox webpage, follow the instructions to install Dropbox. After installation the application will show on your Menu Bar as a Blue Box.
  3. Once you have Dropbox installed you can logon to the account that is setup as the Montana shared Dropbox (I'm sending you the Logon info via PM.
  4. Once you have access to the Montana Dropbox you will see the Montana Config's folder. This is where we share Profiles/Shortcut's and Backgrounds. There is a README file in this folder. It will show you the naming convention for files placed in this folder.
  5. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #1969
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Did you notice this response today (24 Jan 12) in Garmin Forums from one of their desktop app developers? It's in the thread entitled "Basecamp Activity Based Routing".

Originally Posted by GEOMONSTER
It seems like such a small thing to ask for... Why does Garmin not give us the ability to turn off "Route Recalculation" when we load routes which we've painstakingly created in Basecamp?

If it's possible for the Zumo, surely it must be possible with the best gps Garmin's ever made for my use, the Montana?

Response From AZDRMN
I know the Montana team is looking into doing this. Hopefully it will be in an upcoming firmware update.

I did. I am "GeoMonster". But who is "AZDRMN" and what does he know that we don't? Is he a Garmin staff member, or is he just repeating what he read elsewhere?

I still felt the topic needed its own thread.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #1970
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
[*]Once you have Dropbox installed you can logon to the account that is setup as the Montana shared Dropbox (I'm sending you the Logon info via PM.
Could I also get the logon info for Dropbox share, please?

Mike
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #1971
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Could I also get the logon info for Dropbox share, please?

Mike
I don't know. . .you seem like a pretty dodgy character to me

PM sent

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #1972
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I don't know. . .you seem like a pretty dodgy character to me

PM sent

Cheers,
That's me, dodgy for sure!

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #1973
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I did. I am "GeoMonster". But who is "AZDRMN" and what does he know that we don't? Is he a Garmin staff member, or is he just repeating what he read elsewhere?

I still felt the topic needed its own thread.
AZDRMN is a member of the BaseCamp Development Team and has been very helpful. The BaseCamp Dev Team actually have communications with the GPS Brand teams and this is a good thing for us.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #1974
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
AZDRMN is a member of the BaseCamp Development Team and has been very helpful. The BaseCamp Dev Team actually have communications with the GPS Brand teams and this is a good thing for us.

Cheers,
Excellent - good to know. Thanks.

Still, the squeaky wheel gets the grease so I think we need to keep asking for the option. And the more people who make their feelings known, the merrier! There isn't a day goes by here that someone doesn't chime in with the same complaint.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #1975
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Dave,

We don't yet have any Profiles or Shortcuts posted other than mine. There are some nice Background images though. Here are the steps to get Dropbox access. Dropbox is a web server that allows you to keep info on the web and sync it with any all computers/mobile devices/ you wish to. In this case I set up an account and I am sharing that account with all Montana users who are interested. This is called a Shared Account and is use for groups to share information (files) with each other. If you add files, we all see them on our computer. If you delete files we all potentially have them deleted form our computer. So, some care is required since when you logon, the Montana Dropbox is like your own.
  1. Dropbox install button is at following this link: www.dropbox.com
  2. At the Dropbox webpage, follow the instructions to install Dropbox. After installation the application will show on your Menu Bar as a Blue Box.
  3. Once you have Dropbox installed you can logon to the account that is setup as the Montana shared Dropbox (I'm sending you the Logon info via PM.
  4. Once you have access to the Montana Dropbox you will see the Montana Config's folder. This is where we share Profiles/Shortcut's and Backgrounds. There is a README file in this folder. It will show you the naming convention for files placed in this folder.
  5. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Since I already was using dropbox on my machine with my own account, I just logged in from the dropbox website with the ADV account and selected the files and downloaded them. Saved me from unlinking from my account and relinking when I was done. Just an FYI for those that are already using dropbox.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #1976
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Since I already was using dropbox on my machine with my own account, I just logged in from the dropbox website with the ADV account and selected the files and downloaded them. Saved me from unlinking from my account and relinking when I was done. Just an FYI for those that are already using dropbox.
I'd sent Dan a PM an hour ago suggesting he create a shared directory and gives us plebes and miscreants access to that. I would prefer to access the drive that way then I could add things much faster to the directory and not have to log out of my own Dropbox account to do so.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 01:27 PM
Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #1977
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
For those of you that have a Dropbox Account already, you can just "Share" the Montana folders with your personal account. That way the Montana Config's folder will show in your personal Dropbox.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #1978
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

So, we have this all figured out now, right? If you're not a Dropbox user previously, you can install the app on your computer and then logon using the credentials for the Montana account - done.

If you are a Dropbox user already, logon to the Montana account and "Share" the Montana folders with your personal account. Doing it this way makes each of us the admin for the account - shared responsibility

Now where are all of those creative Profiles and Shortcuts?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #1979
Twistn'roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Yup, gave it a unique name and dumped it in the folder with all the stock profiles. I guess the file is missing something
Is the profile you are having trouble with the one I sent you? I wonder if it has anything to do with my map sets? For that profile I am using CNNA 2012.3. I also had a number of shortcuts setup that I neglected to send along as well.

~TR~
Twistn'roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #1980
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistn'roads View Post
Is the profile you are having trouble with the one I sent you? I wonder if it has anything to do with my map sets? For that profile I am using CNNA 2012.3. I also had a number of shortcuts setup that I neglected to send along as well.

~TR~
The profile should still load and be available even if maps aren't or shortcuts missing. Something else is not right with the file.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS