ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #2296
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
OK, I bit the bullet and ordered the 600. I feel like so many others do here, I have two cameras with me when I am on the bike so another one is not in the cards for me. I will be waiting patiently for the new unit to arrive and mount it up and go exploring. I just hope that I get one of the units that doesn't need to be sent back under warranty issues.

This is a great thread but I am going to have to read a lot of it again to get the hang of the new unit. I never did use mapsource much so I am going to also start off with Base Camp to see if I can get the hang of it.
OK the new Montana is for my XC, but I have another problem with a different unit. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Much appreciated.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767898
Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #2297
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Nice clean install

Jon...
To match the nice clean bike. New?

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #2298
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I have a question about Geocaching

I have a lot of caches, both found and unfound that I downloaded from Geocaching.com

I have transferred them to my Montana 650t and if I look in waypoints I can find them and navigate to them

What I cannot do is use the Geocaching profile in any way, it says I need to visit the Garmin/geocache

I have a paid for subscription to GC dot com and want to use my pocket queries to download direct to my Montana then log my finds while on the road.

Can anyone tell me how to use the Geocache profile using my previously downloaded caches please?

I am planning a trip to Europe and have quite a few thousand with about 500 per country already in each countries folder and do not want to download them all again if possible as it is very time consuming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #2299
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
I have a question about custom maps on the Montana. I created several custom maps for the White Wash area near Moab, and was hoping to be able to switch between them when needed. However, all the custom maps show up as a single group in Map Info. Is there a way to create 2 or more groups of Custom maps, by adding a second folder in the Montana directory?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can help with this.

I guessing that you loaded them onto the GPS all at one time. If that's correct then if you load them one at a time and then rename each one before loading the next one they will show up individually in the map info screen.

I'm not at home now and I can't remember the file name of the map when it uploads to the GPS but it will be a [filename].img file in the \Garmin directory and should have the date/time you transferred it to the GPS.

At least that's what I did when I loaded more than one map set on my GPS.

Hope that helps,

Jon...
Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #2300
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can help with this.

I guessing that you loaded them onto the GPS all at one time. If that's correct then if you load them one at a time and then rename each one before loading the next one they will show up individually in the map info screen.

I'm not at home now and I can't remember the file name of the map when it uploads to the GPS but it will be a [filename].img file in the \Garmin directory and should have the date/time you transferred it to the GPS.

At least that's what I did when I loaded more than one map set on my GPS.

Hope that helps,

Jon...
Thanks, Jon, that does sound familiar. I think the default file name is gmapsupp.img.
I've read that here before, too. Information overload, I guess.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #2301
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,087
Mapping D2D just for fun

I've got a new 650T. I have CityNav2010 from a buddy on MicroSD. I used BaseCamp to create a route from Wasilla, Alaska to Dawson, YT using Glennallen, Tok, and Chicken (via the Top of the World Hwy). This darn thing REFUSES to route me up and over TOW and wants me to go thru Whitehorse! (350miles vs 900+miles). It does this only on CityNav. When I try the route w/ CityNav disabled and Topo enabled it beeps and says "Route Calc Error - Maps do not have routable roads in this area". Yes, I know Top of the World Hwy isn't the most well traveled route ever, but it is shown on both CityNav and Topo. Any assistance in getting my settings right would be greatly appreciated! Yes, I already know how to get there....just having fun learning this new toy.

I plan to use this GPS for work (turn-by-turn street instructions), on-and-off road motorcycling, and kayaking.

Gracias,
Jim
Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #2302
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

AdvRonski,

Mounting the GPS up high like that on your bike looks good. I think you will like it up there where you will not have to look down or off to the side to see it. I did something similar on my V-Strom and really liked it up there and plan to do the same on my FJR.

Jon...
Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #2303
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, Jon, that does sound familiar. I think the default file name is gmapsupp.img.
I've read that here before, too. Information overload, I guess.
Yeah that sounds correct. I just looked and I don't have a file by that name so that must have been the one I changed to CNNA 2012.img

Just make sure you do a backup of your files so you don't have to go through what I did if something goes wrong

Information overload......you got that right. It took me forever to read through this thread but I've learned a lot while doing so.

Jon...
Old 02-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #2304
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
I have a question about Geocaching

I have a lot of caches, both found and unfound that I downloaded from Geocaching.com

I have transferred them to my Montana 650t and if I look in waypoints I can find them and navigate to them

What I cannot do is use the Geocaching profile in any way, it says I need to visit the Garmin/geocache

I have a paid for subscription to GC dot com and want to use my pocket queries to download direct to my Montana then log my finds while on the road.

Can anyone tell me how to use the Geocache profile using my previously downloaded caches please?

I am planning a trip to Europe and have quite a few thousand with about 500 per country already in each countries folder and do not want to download them all again if possible as it is very time consuming

Cheers
TravellingStrom
I've never tried Geocaching but while trying to find out more about the hobby I came across this video that I thought might be of help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YmXs6CfebE

Jon...
Old 02-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #2305
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,073
Quote:
Yeah that sounds correct. I just looked and I don't have a file by that name so that must have been the one I changed to CNNA 2012.img

Just make sure you do a backup of your files so you don't have to go through what I did if something goes wrong

Information overload......you got that right. It took me forever to read through this thread but I've learned a lot while doing so.

Jon...
Gmapsupp.img is not the custom map, it's the supplementary map. Not the same thing at all.

Here's the Garmin site on Custom Maps: http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps

This is another good place to find out about Custom Maps: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205

One more site, with videos: http://www.gpscity.ca/buzz/2010/04/g...-tutorial.html

And a short video from the GPSCity site showing how to get Custom Maps onto the device:

And finally, one source of Custom Maps, so you don't have to make your own: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 03:16 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #2306
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 683
Thanks for the links, Emmbeedee, but I created and installed the maps without too much trouble. But, since I have 2 different custom maps for the same area, I wanted to be able to select each one separately. However, since I installed them at the same time, they are all together as one Custom map on the unit. I am hoping to find a way to install them so there are at least 2 different selectable Custom maps available. Perhaps the renaming trick might allow that?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #2307
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,073
Quote:
Thanks for the links, Emmbeedee, but I created and installed the maps without too much trouble. But, since I have 2 different custom maps for the same area, I wanted to be able to select each one separately. However, since I installed them at the same time, they are all together as one Custom map on the unit. I am hoping to find a way to install them so there are at least 2 different selectable Custom maps available. Perhaps the renaming trick might allow that?
No, the renaming trick is for the file called gmapsupp.img only. That file is a throwback to the days where all we had was gps units which could only work with one extra "supplemental" map file like the 60/76 line. That file could contain many maps combined in the one download, but it's nothing to do with Custom Maps which are in a directory of their own.

I don't know if you can have multiple custom kmz files which are enabled or disabled independently through the gps, but the Garmin forums I suggested are where Garmin staff hang around and that would be the place to ask your questions.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #2308
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Unfortunately, all Custom Maps (Imagery) are loaded to a single "map" loader. This is the case even if you load one to the Internal and one to the external (SD Card) storage. You will not be able to switch between the two maps that are in the same location. They will overlay each other.

Same holds true for BirdsEye Imagery.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #2309
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
I've never tried Geocaching but while trying to find out more about the hobby I came across this video that I thought might be of help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YmXs6CfebE

Jon...
Hi

Thanks for that it was informative

But, it does not show me how to use a downloaded bunch of caches, maybe I will try and import them as a gpx file?

I did try out the Garmin site for caches, but as an example, my hometown has about 60 or so in the town and surrounding area but this site shows one, so it is next to useless at this time until it propagates more caches.

I guess another thing I can try is to download a pocket query to the gps, but I don't really need for example 500 Italian waypoints cluttering the device until I actually get to Italy

Cheers
TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 10:24 AM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #2310
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Hi

Thanks for that it was informative

But, it does not show me how to use a downloaded bunch of caches, maybe I will try and import them as a gpx file?

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Yes, just import them as GPX. The Geocache Profile should have worked with or without Geocaches loaded. Anyway, transfer your caches via GPX and the Geocache app will work. Garmin has it's own "OpenGeocaching" site not affiliated with GroundSpeak.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote