ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #2296
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Also, a feature that I miss from the 60Cx is the ability to store a gpx file for each day's tracks on the sd card. Just a nice back-up feature to make sure you don't lose a track, even if you fat-finger a track delete by accident.
I don't use custom maps so have no idea on that question but you can set the Tracks to Archive each day automatically on the Montana and all the newer handhelds too, I think.

Go to Setup/Tracks/Auto Archive to do so.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #2297
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,657
I replied inside original text, but in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
This is for those of you that already have this unit, can you tell me if there is an advantage one over the other? I am of course trying to compare the 600 vs the 650 vs the 650T?

About me and my habits.

I have my own camera and an iPhone with a camera, no need for another.

I agree, that's why I have a 600. But others point out you can take pictures and tag them with coordinates in the GPS (same with my blackberry :).
The 650T has more internal memory, but you can install maps onto the user supplied flash card, so space is not an issue.

I tend toward free maps from gpsdepot and the like but realize that I will require a newer version of City Navigator.
Routing is how I like to navigate (not opposed to tracks, it's just my preference).

I bought CNNA, but also run at least one map from GPSdepot (pa topo maps).
pa topo mounts will not route. But I just toggle the topo map on and off, on top of CNNA so it still routes, but I can see TOPO if I want.

I HATE units that auto recalculate and I think I am correct in reading that this feature can be turned off?

If you make a route in basecamp, you will have to add some "points" to the map to force the GPS to calculate the route the same way basecamp did.
Now if you veneture off you route, the GPS will try to recalculate the route, but you have 3 choices you can set when you setup your profile.

Yes, allow recalculate
Yes, but prompt first
No.

TowPro screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 05:00 PM
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #2298
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Towpro, You can only use 50 waypoints to shape the route though. I've still not had the unit calculate the same route that I made in Basecamp regardless of how many shaping points are added. Thats why I superimpose the track on the screen. Ive
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #2299
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
"This is for those of you that already have this unit, can you tell me if there is an advantage one over the other? I am of course trying to compare the 600 vs the 650 vs the 650T"

I bought the 600. The camera on the 650 would be more attractive if I was a hiker but having to remove it from the mount to use it makes it worthless to me plus any small camera offers more picture control. The Montana has a very basic camera. The only thing the T offers over the 650 is Topo100 installed. If I wanted topo I would buy Topo24. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #2300
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I don't use custom maps so have no idea on that question but you can set the Tracks to Archive each day automatically on the Montana and all the newer handhelds too, I think.

Go to Setup/Tracks/Auto Archive to do so.

GREAT! Thanks for the tip, Emmbeedee!
Man, these things have a lot of options and menus.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #2301
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,154
coming my way

OK, I bit the bullet and ordered the 600. I feel like so many others do here, I have two cameras with me when I am on the bike so another one is not in the cards for me. I will be waiting patiently for the new unit to arrive and mount it up and go exploring. I just hope that I get one of the units that doesn't need to be sent back under warranty issues.

This is a great thread but I am going to have to read a lot of it again to get the hang of the new unit. I never did use mapsource much so I am going to also start off with Base Camp to see if I can get the hang of it.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #2302
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

I thought I'd post another mounting solution here. Although I realize this isn't a bike-specific thread, I thought others might find the ideas useful enough to adapt to their own use.

On my KTM 950 Adv, I put a ram base on top of the dash, along with a tie-down anchor to clip the Montana's tether to-

I wanted the capability to move the rugged mount to different bikes, and I don't need the audio or data wiring, so I cut the power cable above the junction split, then moved the fuse holder to the middle of the cable-

Then put a Powerlet plug at the cable's end, which allows the portability I need, and the tether- well, I just feel better knowing it can't get too far if it did manage to pop out of the mount-

We'll see how the "high mount" position works out. I can always move it to a handlebar mount, too.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #2303
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
I have my own camera and an iPhone with a camera, no need for another.

I agree, that's why I have a 600. But others point out you can take pictures and tag them with coordinates in the GPS (same with my blackberry :).
The 650 has more internal memory, but you can install maps onto the user supplied flash card, so space is not an issue.
I thought it was the 650T that had more memory. 3.5GB vs. 3.0GB for the 600 and 650

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #2304
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I thought it was the 650T that had more memory. 3.5GB vs. 3.0GB for the 600 and 650
Sorry, Wife was calling me for dinner and I left out the T. I fixed my original post .

Dan, thanks for the default profiles.

This time I made one called Driving, based on Automotive, and one named Adv based on motorcycle. (which I could find the key to make more then the 1st letter upper case).

Now if it blows up it will be on either driving our ADV and original profiles will not be damaged.

There still is a lot of "black magic" in these profiles. which they would tell us the difference.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #2305
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
Sorry, Wife was calling me for dinner and I left out the T. I fixed my original post .

Dan, thanks for the default profiles.

This time I made one called Driving, based on Automotive, and one named Adv based on motorcycle. (which I could find the key to make more then the 1st letter upper case).

At the bottom left under the U and to the left of the space is an up arrow, once you change the case it stays that way until you change it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #2306
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
OK, I bit the bullet and ordered the 600. I feel like so many others do here, I have two cameras with me when I am on the bike so another one is not in the cards for me. I will be waiting patiently for the new unit to arrive and mount it up and go exploring. I just hope that I get one of the units that doesn't need to be sent back under warranty issues.

This is a great thread but I am going to have to read a lot of it again to get the hang of the new unit. I never did use mapsource much so I am going to also start off with Base Camp to see if I can get the hang of it.
OK the new Montana is for my XC, but I have another problem with a different unit. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Much appreciated.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767898
Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #2307
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Nice clean install

Jon...
To match the nice clean bike. New?

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #2308
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I have a question about Geocaching

I have a lot of caches, both found and unfound that I downloaded from Geocaching.com

I have transferred them to my Montana 650t and if I look in waypoints I can find them and navigate to them

What I cannot do is use the Geocaching profile in any way, it says I need to visit the Garmin/geocache

I have a paid for subscription to GC dot com and want to use my pocket queries to download direct to my Montana then log my finds while on the road.

Can anyone tell me how to use the Geocache profile using my previously downloaded caches please?

I am planning a trip to Europe and have quite a few thousand with about 500 per country already in each countries folder and do not want to download them all again if possible as it is very time consuming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #2309
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
I have a question about custom maps on the Montana. I created several custom maps for the White Wash area near Moab, and was hoping to be able to switch between them when needed. However, all the custom maps show up as a single group in Map Info. Is there a way to create 2 or more groups of Custom maps, by adding a second folder in the Montana directory?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can help with this.

I guessing that you loaded them onto the GPS all at one time. If that's correct then if you load them one at a time and then rename each one before loading the next one they will show up individually in the map info screen.

I'm not at home now and I can't remember the file name of the map when it uploads to the GPS but it will be a [filename].img file in the \Garmin directory and should have the date/time you transferred it to the GPS.

At least that's what I did when I loaded more than one map set on my GPS.

Hope that helps,

Jon...
Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #2310
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can help with this.

I guessing that you loaded them onto the GPS all at one time. If that's correct then if you load them one at a time and then rename each one before loading the next one they will show up individually in the map info screen.

I'm not at home now and I can't remember the file name of the map when it uploads to the GPS but it will be a [filename].img file in the \Garmin directory and should have the date/time you transferred it to the GPS.

At least that's what I did when I loaded more than one map set on my GPS.

Hope that helps,

Jon...
Thanks, Jon, that does sound familiar. I think the default file name is gmapsupp.img.
I've read that here before, too. Information overload, I guess.