ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #2401
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Hi and thanks for the reply, I have added some yellow text and screen shots to explain a bit more of what happens.
Just an off-topic observation on your screen captures - use Jing instead - it's a great screen capture utility with no nag tags.

Works on Macs or Windows and does flash video as well, up to 5 minutes worth.

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #2402
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Let's not go down the VHS is better than Beta wars :)

Ok, I see it may need info sent to Garmin, so I will do that and they can add it to the 30 odd crash reports I generated

I am now in the process of deleting ALL the routes I generated and wi recreate using the correct underlying mapset and using 5 vias and hide the ones I don't need to see.

I am still 54 days away from arriving Europe so at least I am not struggling on the road

Thanks for the help DrtByke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 03-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #2403
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Just an off-topic observation on your screen captures - use Jing instead - it's a great screen capture utility with no nag tags.

Works on Macs or Windows and does flash video as well, up to 5 minutes worth.

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html
Thanks for the info, I will check that Jing out when I get home from work

I can probably get a serial for the proggy I am using, I just haven't looked properly yet. It is the updated version of #1 Screen Capture that I used for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #2404
nuckin_futs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I have just installed City naviagtor (dvd) on my Montana , it loaded and says all maps are up to date, But i cant find it on the unit itself ? I go to "set up", to "map" , "select map" , but CN is not there. Any ideas ??
nuckin_futs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #2405
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
New Beta out for the Montana:

Montana software version 3.93 Beta
as of March 5, 2012

Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History

Changes made from version 3.90 to 3.93:
Added symbol filtering to Where To? > Waypoints and Waypoint Manager
Improved GPS response at low speeds
Improved touch screen responsiveness
Improved font sizes for Arabic and Farsi languages
Fixed issues with support for Canada BlueChart g2 maps
Fixed issue with NMEA
Fixed issue with track distance data field when track logging is off
Fixed issue with track log naming when using BaseCamp
Problems with this beta software may be reported to MontanaBeta@garmin.com

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5679
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #2406
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckin_futs View Post
I have just installed City naviagtor (dvd) on my Montana , it loaded and says all maps are up to date, But i cant find it on the unit itself ? I go to "set up", to "map" , "select map" , but CN is not there. Any ideas ??
I ran into the same thing. The install said (implied) that it would also install it on the GPS but it didn't.

You still have to select the map(s) you want to install on the GPS and upload them to it.

In base camp it's listed under the "utilities" section and called "install maps". It will pop up a window showing the area CN covers and then you select the sections you want and then transfer the map over.

I think in MapSource there is a "map selection" tool that you use. Someone else will have to confirm that since I have not used MapSource for awhile.

Hope that helps,

Jon...
Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #2407
simon crewe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Guys,

I just tried to download the 3.93 beta and the link took me to a 'Garmin Shop' not the download itself, so I have e mailed the beta team.

Lets hope the update is more robust than the link!
simon crewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #2408
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Actually neither or your links seem to be working. But, this one does (did). . .

Well, my apologies. Even that link is broken.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 08:17 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #2409
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 450
Thanks Garmin for giving me this shit:

Now I've gotta drive 360km's tomorrow to get it replaced. I HAVE to go to the dutch head office of Waypoint which is the distributer for the NL. I purchased it 30km from home in one of there official store but Hey, they need to SEE the device first to see what's wrong.

#!%@$!$$$^%!!!!

Update: the beta 3.93 link is up (but the instructions are not).

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #2410
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
Thanks Garmin for giving me this shit:

Now I've gotta drive 360km's tomorrow to get it replaced. I HAVE to go to the dutch head office of Waypoint which is the distributer for the NL. I purchased it 30km from home in one of there official store but Hey, they need to SEE the device first to see what's wrong.

#!%@$!$$$^%!!!!

Update: the beta 3.93 link is up (but the instructions are not).
Are you sure there is really something wrong with your Montana? Or, is it just a Power glitch caused by the Garmin Lithium Battery being loose? If the unit will power via USB or the Cradle or AA Batteries, I would suggest you just read back around the beginning of this thread and "fix" the battery so it can't move side to side in the compartment.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #2411
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
The "8 removed" link allowed me to download 3 copies of the file - perhaps you need to "Ctrl" click the link if you're on a Mac.
The links are working now. Garmin must have been listening.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #2412
nuckin_futs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I ran into the same thing. The install said (implied) that it would also install it on the GPS but it didn't.

You still have to select the map(s) you want to install on the GPS and upload them to it.

In base camp it's listed under the "utilities" section and called "install maps". It will pop up a window showing the area CN covers and then you select the sections you want and then transfer the map over.

I think in MapSource there is a "map selection" tool that you use. Someone else will have to confirm that since I have not used MapSource for awhile.

Hope that helps,

Jon...
Thanks Jon_PDX, That worked
nuckin_futs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #2413
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Help -- Beta Update

Quote:
New Beta out for the Montana:

Montana software version 3.93 Beta
as of March 5, 2012

Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History

Changes made from version 3.90 to 3.93:
Added symbol filtering to Where To? > Waypoints and Waypoint Manager
Improved GPS response at low speeds
Improved touch screen responsiveness
Improved font sizes for Arabic and Farsi languages
Fixed issues with support for Canada BlueChart g2 maps
Fixed issue with NMEA
Fixed issue with track distance data field when track logging is off
Fixed issue with track log naming when using BaseCamp
Problems with this beta software may be reported to MontanaBeta@garmin.com

OK, I used my wife's little used HP netbook to download the beta update and then load it onto my Montana (although we're now an all-Mac household, Garmin does not provide for loading beta updates using a Mac). Everything seemed normal. I downloaded the update using the link; I plugged in the Montana and went through the steps until it told me to unplug the GPS, which I did. I then powered up the GPS and it went through its ritual of "validating the update" (or words to that effect on the screen, with a blue progress bar growing from left to right). Then it went blank. Every time I try to power it up, it shows the Garmin logo, then my name/phone details etc that I added, then it goes dead.

Any ideas as to what I do now, or what I might have done wrong?

I just tried running the update again, but when I held down the Montana power button, I'm now stuck with the Garmin logo on the screen and nothing else. When I plug it into the Netbook, the Garmin Beta Updater can't seem to find it (I'm stuck on the update screen which says to "select the drive letter used by your storage card reader". There's a drop-down menu there, but it's blank, even after I hit the "Find Drive" button. Could I have possibly screwed this up the first time I tried the update by selecting the wrong drive? If I recall, there were two choices in that drop-down menu: G and H. I selected the one that said Garmin, though the other seemed Garmin-related as well.

OK, now I took the battery out and re-installed it. When I pushed the power button I get the same result as before: the Garmin logo, then my name etc. for a few seconds then all goes blank. I even tried plugging it into the netbook (it started to power up by itself and then the same thing happened as before).

Am I completely screwed, or what?

marco polo screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 12:44 PM
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #2414
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
ok let's add to the mix that it looks like topo 100k was released with auto-routing as well.

I haven't confirmed it, but others in the forum have.

Not sure when this new version came out and how to differentiate the non-routing to the routing version.
I just starting to read through this thread,and hoped someone can explain what"auto-routing"means. I also want to be sure-if I buy the 600 and add the 24k sd cards,can I use those in my 660 zumo. Last, if I don't buy the dvd maps (which I know will let me see it in basecamp),can I plug the Montana into my mac with the sd card loaded,and view the sd card maps in basecamp?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #2415
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
OK, I used my wife's little used HP netbook to download the beta update and then load it onto my Montana (although we're now an all-Mac household, Garmin does not provide for loading beta updates using a Mac). Everything seemed normal. I downloaded the update using the link; I plugged in the Montana and went through the steps until it told me to unplug the GPS, which I did. I then powered up the GPS and it went through its ritual of "validating the update" (or words to that effect on the screen, with a blue progress bar growing from left to right). Then it went blank. Every time I try to power it up, it shows the Garmin logo, then my name/phone details etc that I added, then it goes dead.

Any ideas as to what I do now, or what I might have done wrong?

I just tried running the update again, but when I held down the Montana power button, I'm now stuck with the Garmin logo on the screen and nothing else. When I plug it into the Netbook, the Garmin Beta Updater can't seem to find it (I'm stuck on the update screen which says to "select the drive letter used by your storage card reader". There's a drop-down menu there, but it's blank, even after I hit the "Find Drive" button. Could I have possibly screwed this up the first time I tried the update by selecting the wrong drive? If I recall, there were two choices in that drop-down menu: G and H. I selected the one that said Garmin, though the other seemed Garmin-related as well.

OK, now I took the battery out and re-installed it. When I pushed the power button I get the same result as before: the Garmin logo, then my name etc. for a few seconds then all goes blank. I even tried plugging it into the netbook (it started to power up by itself and then the same thing happened as before).

Am I completely screwed, or what?
Try re-installing 3.90 and see if that works...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote