ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #2401
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The "8 removed" link allowed me to download 3 copies of the file - perhaps you need to "Ctrl" click the link if you're on a Mac.
The links are working now. Garmin must have been listening.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #2402
nuckin_futs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I ran into the same thing. The install said (implied) that it would also install it on the GPS but it didn't.

You still have to select the map(s) you want to install on the GPS and upload them to it.

In base camp it's listed under the "utilities" section and called "install maps". It will pop up a window showing the area CN covers and then you select the sections you want and then transfer the map over.

I think in MapSource there is a "map selection" tool that you use. Someone else will have to confirm that since I have not used MapSource for awhile.

Hope that helps,

Jon...
Thanks Jon_PDX, That worked
nuckin_futs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #2403
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Help -- Beta Update

Quote:
New Beta out for the Montana:

Montana software version 3.93 Beta
as of March 5, 2012

Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History

Changes made from version 3.90 to 3.93:
Added symbol filtering to Where To? > Waypoints and Waypoint Manager
Improved GPS response at low speeds
Improved touch screen responsiveness
Improved font sizes for Arabic and Farsi languages
Fixed issues with support for Canada BlueChart g2 maps
Fixed issue with NMEA
Fixed issue with track distance data field when track logging is off
Fixed issue with track log naming when using BaseCamp
Problems with this beta software may be reported to MontanaBeta@garmin.com

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5679
OK, I used my wife's little used HP netbook to download the beta update and then load it onto my Montana (although we're now an all-Mac household, Garmin does not provide for loading beta updates using a Mac). Everything seemed normal. I downloaded the update using the link; I plugged in the Montana and went through the steps until it told me to unplug the GPS, which I did. I then powered up the GPS and it went through its ritual of "validating the update" (or words to that effect on the screen, with a blue progress bar growing from left to right). Then it went blank. Every time I try to power it up, it shows the Garmin logo, then my name/phone details etc that I added, then it goes dead.

Any ideas as to what I do now, or what I might have done wrong?

I just tried running the update again, but when I held down the Montana power button, I'm now stuck with the Garmin logo on the screen and nothing else. When I plug it into the Netbook, the Garmin Beta Updater can't seem to find it (I'm stuck on the update screen which says to "select the drive letter used by your storage card reader". There's a drop-down menu there, but it's blank, even after I hit the "Find Drive" button. Could I have possibly screwed this up the first time I tried the update by selecting the wrong drive? If I recall, there were two choices in that drop-down menu: G and H. I selected the one that said Garmin, though the other seemed Garmin-related as well.

OK, now I took the battery out and re-installed it. When I pushed the power button I get the same result as before: the Garmin logo, then my name etc. for a few seconds then all goes blank. I even tried plugging it into the netbook (it started to power up by itself and then the same thing happened as before).

Am I completely screwed, or what?

marco polo screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 12:44 PM
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #2404
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
ok let's add to the mix that it looks like topo 100k was released with auto-routing as well.

I haven't confirmed it, but others in the forum have.

Not sure when this new version came out and how to differentiate the non-routing to the routing version.
I just starting to read through this thread,and hoped someone can explain what"auto-routing"means. I also want to be sure-if I buy the 600 and add the 24k sd cards,can I use those in my 660 zumo. Last, if I don't buy the dvd maps (which I know will let me see it in basecamp),can I plug the Montana into my mac with the sd card loaded,and view the sd card maps in basecamp?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #2405
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
OK, I used my wife's little used HP netbook to download the beta update and then load it onto my Montana (although we're now an all-Mac household, Garmin does not provide for loading beta updates using a Mac). Everything seemed normal. I downloaded the update using the link; I plugged in the Montana and went through the steps until it told me to unplug the GPS, which I did. I then powered up the GPS and it went through its ritual of "validating the update" (or words to that effect on the screen, with a blue progress bar growing from left to right). Then it went blank. Every time I try to power it up, it shows the Garmin logo, then my name/phone details etc that I added, then it goes dead.

Any ideas as to what I do now, or what I might have done wrong?

I just tried running the update again, but when I held down the Montana power button, I'm now stuck with the Garmin logo on the screen and nothing else. When I plug it into the Netbook, the Garmin Beta Updater can't seem to find it (I'm stuck on the update screen which says to "select the drive letter used by your storage card reader". There's a drop-down menu there, but it's blank, even after I hit the "Find Drive" button. Could I have possibly screwed this up the first time I tried the update by selecting the wrong drive? If I recall, there were two choices in that drop-down menu: G and H. I selected the one that said Garmin, though the other seemed Garmin-related as well.

OK, now I took the battery out and re-installed it. When I pushed the power button I get the same result as before: the Garmin logo, then my name etc. for a few seconds then all goes blank. I even tried plugging it into the netbook (it started to power up by itself and then the same thing happened as before).

Am I completely screwed, or what?
Try re-installing 3.90 and see if that works...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #2406
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post

Bear with me, but how do I do that? If that's the latest "public" release, I tried WebUpdater on my iMac, but the GPS won't power on far enough for it to be recognized (it's not shown in the Mac's Finder either).
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #2407
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Bear with me, but how do I do that? If that's the latest "public" release, I tried WebUpdater on my iMac, but the GPS won't power on far enough for it to be recognized (it's not shown in the Mac's Finder either).
I'm not a Mac user, so I can't be much help...in the PC world, you download the previous version and run it in the fond hope that it will re-install...Drtbyk is a mac nut..wait for him to wander along and he'll have some words of wisdom...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #2408
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Did you happen to try a Master Reset on your Montana?

How do I perform a Master Reset on my Montana?

There are a few instances in which you may want to perform a master reset on your Montana, such as:
  • not receiving a satellite signal
  • want to restore the factory default settings
  • not functioning properly

All settings, user data*, and satellite data may be erased when resetting the GPS. User data can be backed up to the computer, therefore refer to the FAQ article "How do I back up user data from my outdoor GPS with a USB interface?" before performing the reset.

To perform the master reset:
  1. Power the device off
  2. Press and hold your finger on the upper left side of the display
  3. Power the device on while still maintaining pressure on the display
  4. Release on the display when the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
  5. Touch Yes

The Montana is now reset. You will want to leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #2409
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not a Mac user, so I can't be much help...in the PC world, you download the previous version and run it in the fond hope that it will re-install...Drtbyk is a mac nut..wait for him to wander along and he'll have some words of wisdom...
I can confirm that on Mac or PC the unit still has to power up to the point of going into USB mode. It sounds like it's not getting that far.

I don't remember if you said you took the SD card out. If it's still in there, take it out and see what happens.

Hopefully the Master Reset will get it to the point of going into USB mode. If not, I'm not sure what you need to do.

Jon...
Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #2410
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
That's really weird. The beta download page calls this "version 3.90 Beta", and sure enough, the file downloaded is called 3.90, and what it installs is actually version 3.90 according to the System/About screen on my 650, which supposedly has the new Beta on it.

The description I pasted into here this morning called it version 3.93.

Must be flawed so they pulled it, I bet.

Edit - just checked the "Change History" on the download page and it says this:

"Change History

Changes made from version 3.90 to 3.90:"

Nothing else.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #2411
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Found this on the Groundspeak site:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...post&p=4989369

"HOLD OFF ON 3.93 BETA.

I attempted to install 3.93 BETA and my 650 has been bricked.I called Garmin (USA) they suggested a few fixes all to no avail.

I have been instructed by Garmin to send my 650 in for a replacement 650. "

And this:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...post&p=4989166

CAREFULLLLLLLLLL, YOU MIGHT WANT TO SKIP THIS ONE!!

I changed profile from Auto to Geocaching, and now the device powers up and crashes immediatly :

EDIT2:

Here's what happened:

Installed 3.93, first boot fine and verified for 3.93.
Changed profile from Auto to Geocaching: device hung, batteries removed.
Now device power-up, boots, loads maps & chaches & photos, and then does a power down crash :mad:

It might be that because of the battery removal the profile-file might be corrupt? I'll download a profile from somewhere else, and if that doens't work, try to backup my settings and do a factory reset.

EDIT 3:

After factory reset all fine and dandy (someone else reported no problems with updating and switching to Geo profile), except when I try to switch to the Geo profile, the device still crashes. Now I'm trying to find a "clean" geocache profile-file.

EDIT 4:
I sent Garmin my system file, they analysed it, and wrote me back they think it is actually a bug. So be careful with this update.

EDIT 5:
The crash is Dashboard related! If you haven't got a Dashboard "on" at the moment, or any other than Geocaching, then the update might work. I deleted my Geocache profile, started building a new one, and as soon when I set my Dashboard from None to Geocaching in the Map-settings, the device powered down.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #2412
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Marco, If you're still having problems getting the unit into USB mode try this. Hold the Power button down for 30sec. (watch the clock) or until the unit shows it is in USB mode.

If that works install v3.90 and don't mess with the Beta stuff. It's getting dangerous out there folks. . .

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #2413
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If that works install v3.90 and don't mess with the Beta stuff. It's getting dangerous out there folks. . .
What is "getting dangerous out there"?

It's too bad this Beta was flawed - I normally am one of the first adopters but I didn't have my Montana with me at work, so I dodged the bullet, but there won't be anyone left hanging there with a bricked gps, I'm sure. Garmin does not usually have this kind of problem but when they do, they fix it for the users.

If I had bricked mine, it would have been an annoyance and an inconvenience but not the end of the world.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #2414
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Found this on the Groundspeak site:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...post&p=4989369

"HOLD OFF ON 3.93 BETA.

I attempted to install 3.93 BETA and my 650 has been bricked.I called Garmin (USA) they suggested a few fixes all to no avail.

I have been instructed by Garmin to send my 650 in for a replacement 650. "

And this:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...post&p=4989166

CAREFULLLLLLLLLL, YOU MIGHT WANT TO SKIP THIS ONE!!

I changed profile from Auto to Geocaching, and now the device powers up and crashes immediatly :

EDIT2:

Here's what happened:

Installed 3.93, first boot fine and verified for 3.93.
Changed profile from Auto to Geocaching: device hung, batteries removed.
Now device power-up, boots, loads maps & chaches & photos, and then does a power down crash :mad:

It might be that because of the battery removal the profile-file might be corrupt? I'll download a profile from somewhere else, and if that doens't work, try to backup my settings and do a factory reset.

EDIT 3:

After factory reset all fine and dandy (someone else reported no problems with updating and switching to Geo profile), except when I try to switch to the Geo profile, the device still crashes. Now I'm trying to find a "clean" geocache profile-file.

EDIT 4:
I sent Garmin my system file, they analysed it, and wrote me back they think it is actually a bug. So be careful with this update.

EDIT 5:
The crash is Dashboard related! If you haven't got a Dashboard "on" at the moment, or any other than Geocaching, then the update might work. I deleted my Geocache profile, started building a new one, and as soon when I set my Dashboard from None to Geocaching in the Map-settings, the device powered down.
If you want a "Factory Fresh" Geocache Profile, I placed all of the OEM Profiles on the Montana Dropbox Share.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #2415
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you want a "Factory Fresh" Geocache Profile, I placed all of the OEM Profiles on the Montana Dropbox Share.

Cheers,
I don't need any fresh profiles - but possibly people on Groundspeak might.