ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #2461
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,114
Ok... I've been playing with my 650 for a couple weeks, read the manual and looked a about 100 posts here.

Can anyone tell me how to program a location for the "go home" icon. I would like to get to my house with the touch of a button. I have the I on locked on the homescreen but I can't program in my address.

Help?!
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #2462
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Ok... I've been playing with my 650 for a couple weeks, read the manual and looked a about 100 posts here.

Can anyone tell me how to program a location for the "go home" icon. I would like to get to my house with the touch of a button. I have the I on locked on the homescreen but I can't program in my address.

Help?!
The Montana doesn't have the same "Home" location as found on Nuvis and Zumos. What you need to do is create a waypoint and call it Home, then try to remember not to delete it in the future.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #2463
Britome
Get Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The Montana doesn't have the same "Home" location as found on Nuvis and Zumos. What you need to do is create a waypoint and call it Home, then try to remember not to delete it in the future.
Ok. Thx. But what is the garmin "home" location? Seems strange that Alli of us would be automatically routed to the same "go home" location
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #2464
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Ok. Thx. But what is the garmin "home" location? Seems strange that Alli of us would be automatically routed to the same "go home" location
The Garmin Home location is set by you, often when you bring your new Nuvi/Zumo outside as you set it up on Christmas day. ;)
Old 03-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #2465
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,328
Quote:
As Emmbeedee implied, there really isn't a Go Home location. On the Montana, the Go Home function is a Shortcut. To make the Shortcut useful, you need to Edit the Go Home shortcut and add your own "home" location (Waypoint) to the Shortcut "Where To?" function. And, as Emmbeedee pointed out, you need to remember not to delete your "home" Waypoint.

It would have been a bit more convenient if the Montana had used the same approach as the nuvi-based Units and made the Go Home an Application rather than a Shortcut. I like Shortcuts but since you can't "protect" data used in a Shortcut like you can in an App, this is a rather fragile Shortcut - in that it is easy to make it non-functional by deleting your "home" waypoint.

Might be a good Feature Request for those of you that actually use it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #2466
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

What "go home" shortcut?

I don't see one listed.

Jon...
Old 03-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #2467
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
TS,

The reply you received from Garmin is just what I was referring to when I was talking about the divergence between Win-BC and Mac-BC. On Mac-BC we CAN do just what you want to do. Below is the "use-case" you can share with the Win-BC team. It seems that the Win-BC team is doing anything and everything they possibly can to NOT provide a modern, usable, Planning application. I think they are afraid they might get slammed for doing something that looked marginally like MapSource. To bad.

Here I have a Track and then I did the Create Route from Track with my Routing Preferences set to Automotive mode. The resulting route is certainly not a Direct Route - it only has 5 Viapoints.

Maybe you should just buy a Mac and be done with it. . .

Cheers,
Hey yeah, so it can be done, well maybe I will make a mention of this when I log back in.

As for going to Mac, you picked the right smiley EVIL but seriously I am on the road in 50 days for about 12 months. Learning Montana and basecamp before I go is enough hassle let alone a new OS

Cheers
TS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 03-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #2468
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
As Emmbeedee implied, there really isn't a Go Home location. On the Montana, the Go Home function is a Shortcut. To make the Shortcut useful, you need to Edit the Go Home shortcut and add your own "home" location (Waypoint) to the Shortcut "Where To?" function. And, as Emmbeedee pointed out, you need to remember not to delete your "home" Waypoint.

It would have been a bit more convenient if the Montana had used the same approach as the nuvi-based Units and made the Go Home an Application rather than a Shortcut. I like Shortcuts but since you can't "protect" data used in a Shortcut like you can in an App, this is a rather fragile Shortcut - in that it is easy to make it non-functional by deleting your "home" waypoint.

Might be a good Feature Request for those of you that actually use it.

Cheers,
Sounds like this is on of those items that we all should write to Garmin about and the more the better.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #2469
Britome
Get Free

I'm doing my best to hang with the Montana. I'm no tech tard but this is more complex than any device I've owned. And more powerful.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #2470
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
What "go home" shortcut?

I don't see one listed.

Jon...
You need to create one from scratch. Unless this is something which could be shared to all of us through Dropbox? What do you think, Dan? I really haven't played with shortcuts.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #2471
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You need to create one from scratch. Unless this is something which could be shared to all of us through Dropbox? What do you think, Dan? I really haven't played with shortcuts.
Just got it figured out. It was in the settings - shortcuts section. It let me place it on the main menu.

Another question....

When I put the shortcut on the main menu the icons became smaller (had 4, now have 5 icons) to fit them on the screen. I decided to play around with it and went back into the shortcuts section and told it to remove it from the main menu since I don't really need it there.

After doing that I noticed the icons for the remaining 4 items did not return to the original larger size. Anyone know how to increase the size of the icons on the main menu screen?

I looked around for an icon size setting but can't find one.

Thanks,

Jon...
Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #2472
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Just got it figured out. It was in the settings - shortcuts section. It let me place it on the main menu.

Another question....

When I put the shortcut on the main menu the icons became smaller (had 4, now have 5 icons) to fit them on the screen. I decided to play around with it and went back into the shortcuts section and told it to remove it from the main menu since I don't really need it there.

After doing that I noticed the icons for the remaining 4 items did not return to the original larger size. Anyone know how to increase the size of the icons on the main menu screen?

I looked around for an icon size setting but can't find one.

Thanks,

Jon...
Just a thought, and it may not work, turn the unit off then back on again.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #2473
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I was just looking at the Calendar on my Montana and noticed the auto track archives show up in the Calendar on the date they were created, providing a quick link to the track archive itself. I wonder when that was added? Can't see any record of it on the Montana Wiki.

That could be useful.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #2474
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Just a thought, and it may not work, turn the unit off then back on again.
Good thought but it did not work. Icons on the main screen are still smaller than they were.....hummmmmm.

It's a profile I made so I can always delete it and create a new one. So it's not the end of the world. But it would be nice to be able to change icon sizes when desired.

Jon...
Old 03-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #2475
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was just looking at the Calendar on my Montana and noticed the auto track archives show up in the Calendar on the date they were created, providing a quick link to the track archive itself. I wonder when that was added? Can't see any record of it on the Montana Wiki.

That could be useful.
Yeah that is kind of a cool feature. I thought it was always there though.

Jon...