ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 170 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #2461
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
"Do they just look at the 1968 edition of the World Book Encyclopedia or do they have other methods? "

I don't know if Navteq has anything to do with Birds Eye but my house is 17 years old and BE shows a wooded lot! I pissed away 30 bucks! GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #2462
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Another Beta, fixing the previous one:

Montana software version 3.94 Beta

as of March 8, 2012
Download (6.46 MB)

View installation instructions and system requirements

Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History
Changes made from version 3.93 to 3.94:

Fixed issues causing crashes with 3.93 beta release
Fixed issue with geocache visits in calendar application
Problems with this beta software may be reported to MontanaBeta@garmin.com

Changes made from version 3.90 to 3.93:

Added symbol filtering to Where To? > Waypoints and Waypoint Manager
Improved GPS response at low speeds
Improved touch screen responsiveness
Improved font sizes for Arabic and Farsi languages
Fixed issues with support for Canada BlueChart g2 maps
Fixed issue with NMEA
Fixed issue with track distance data field when track logging is off
Fixed issue with track log naming when using BaseCamp

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5679
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #2463
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Another Beta, fixing the previous one:

Montana software version 3.94 Beta

as of March 8, 2012
Download (6.46 MB)

View installation instructions and system requirements

Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History
Changes made from version 3.93 to 3.94:

Fixed issues causing crashes with 3.93 beta release
Fixed issue with geocache visits in calendar application

Changes made from version 3.90 to 3.93:

Added symbol filtering to Where To? > Waypoints and Waypoint Manager
Improved GPS response at low speeds
Improved touch screen responsiveness
Improved font sizes for Arabic and Farsi languages
Fixed issues with support for Canada BlueChart g2 maps
Fixed issue with NMEA
Fixed issue with track distance data field when track logging is off
Fixed issue with track log naming when using BaseCamp

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5679
Just had time to install this and it worked perfectly for me. My Montana's now at 3.94 and has rebooted normally.

YMMV
Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #2464
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 666
How soon can we expect 3.94 to be released "officially"?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #2465
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,410
It probably depends on how many try the beta and provide feedback.

Charlie
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Mapsource Tutorial | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Charter Member: T.O. Club | Voted - "Nicest Asshole you will ever meet" by my friends
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #2466
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I'm in the middle of boxing up my Montana to send in for a one-for-one replacement (caused by Beta v3.93). Think I'll give 3.94 a pass.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #2467
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
What about if a state builds a brand new road through what was formerly a cornfield.

Does Navteq check for stuff like this or do they rely on users notifying them?
My understanding is Yes. Basically both happen. Navteq will eventually find out about it. I don't know whether they are doing the Google thing and driving around, or whether they are getting map info from Cities and States or whether it is triggered by user input. I suspect it is some of all of the above. They verify user input so it probably doesn't get changed/added until they drive the road though. That is for road changes.

Who knows about POI stuff. We used to have a small business at the house that we shut down 3 or 4 years ago. Never was a POI on Google or Garmin maps. Just discovered that is now shows on Garmin maps. The business was live for 5 years and it never showed. Shutdown with Texas almost 4 years ago and it shows up new in the latest map set. That's a slow process and explains why we are suddenly getting more calls at the house about small business stuff.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650

WoodButcher screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 09:33 AM
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #2468
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I just checked my Windows-BC and there appears to be a bug that defaults to Direct Routing when you "Create a Route from Track" no matter what your Activity setting is. But then you knew that. You might want to send Windows BaseCamp an email or post on the Garmin Forum. I don't use Win-BC any longer due to it's convoluted approach to UI and workflow.

Cheers,
Well, I did get a response from the Basecamp team after I described what i was trying to do, which was create routes from tracks using the activated profile, not DIRECT, this is their response. I also asked about the track colour being able to be modified from default Grey to whatever the user chooses in preferences.

"Thank you for your feedback.

I am afraid the feature to convert a route from a track isn't supposed to do what you are trying to do. Its purpose is to create a direct route from a track. Normally tracks are very detailed (because they usually are recordings of a trip you have taken) and it wouldn't make sense to convert them to anything but direct routes.

I admit that what you describe could be a valid use-case as well. It's just not something the software is currently made to handle. I'll add this to our list of possible future features, but it might be quite a while till it makes it to BaseCamp.

The default color for tracks (and routes) is definitely doable. I'll add a case for this as well. Again, no promises when this will make it into a release."

Well, someone found a different way to use their software, cool :)

There were some responses from others about the default track colour, along the lines of, what you haven't made a case yet, you told us it was going to happen ages ago!!

Anyway, it looks like I shall continue down the path I was following, a slow laborious task, but the end result will be enjoyable when I ride the roads :)

Cheers
TS
Old 03-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #2469
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
This thread is a great read. Thanks to you guys who own a Montana. I was and am still seriously considering buying a 600.

I also especially like the listed emails for whereto write with location errors. I am hoping the more we all write ( alot ) the better the mapping will be and the more the mapping companies will pay attention to accuracy.

Thanks again and keep it coming with all the bad and the good.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #2470
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Well, I did get a response from the Basecamp team after I described what i was trying to do, which was create routes from tracks using the activated profile, not DIRECT, this is their response. I also asked about the track colour being able to be modified from default Grey to whatever the user chooses in preferences.

"Thank you for your feedback.

I am afraid the feature to convert a route from a track isn't supposed to do what you are trying to do. Its purpose is to create a direct route from a track. Normally tracks are very detailed (because they usually are recordings of a trip you have taken) and it wouldn't make sense to convert them to anything but direct routes.

I admit that what you describe could be a valid use-case as well. It's just not something the software is currently made to handle. I'll add this to our list of possible future features, but it might be quite a while till it makes it to BaseCamp.

The default color for tracks (and routes) is definitely doable. I'll add a case for this as well. Again, no promises when this will make it into a release."

Well, someone found a different way to use their software, cool :)

There were some responses from others about the default track colour, along the lines of, what you haven't made a case yet, you told us it was going to happen ages ago!!

Anyway, it looks like I shall continue down the path I was following, a slow laborious task, but the end result will be enjoyable when I ride the roads :)

Cheers
TS
TS,

The reply you received from Garmin is just what I was referring to when I was talking about the divergence between Win-BC and Mac-BC. On Mac-BC we CAN do just what you want to do. Below is the "use-case" you can share with the Win-BC team. It seems that the Win-BC team is doing anything and everything they possibly can to NOT provide a modern, usable, Planning application. I think they are afraid they might get slammed for doing something that looked marginally like MapSource. To bad.

Here I have a Track and then I did the Create Route from Track with my Routing Preferences set to Automotive mode. The resulting route is certainly not a Direct Route - it only has 5 Viapoints.

Maybe you should just buy a Mac and be done with it. . .

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #2471
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,037
Ok... I've been playing with my 650 for a couple weeks, read the manual and looked a about 100 posts here.

Can anyone tell me how to program a location for the "go home" icon. I would like to get to my house with the touch of a button. I have the I on locked on the homescreen but I can't program in my address.

Help?!
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #2472
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Ok... I've been playing with my 650 for a couple weeks, read the manual and looked a about 100 posts here.

Can anyone tell me how to program a location for the "go home" icon. I would like to get to my house with the touch of a button. I have the I on locked on the homescreen but I can't program in my address.

Help?!
The Montana doesn't have the same "Home" location as found on Nuvis and Zumos. What you need to do is create a waypoint and call it Home, then try to remember not to delete it in the future.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #2473
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The Montana doesn't have the same "Home" location as found on Nuvis and Zumos. What you need to do is create a waypoint and call it Home, then try to remember not to delete it in the future.
Ok. Thx. But what is the garmin "home" location? Seems strange that Alli of us would be automatically routed to the same "go home" location
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #2474
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Ok. Thx. But what is the garmin "home" location? Seems strange that Alli of us would be automatically routed to the same "go home" location
The Garmin Home location is set by you, often when you bring your new Nuvi/Zumo outside as you set it up on Christmas day. ;)
Old 03-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #2475
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
As Emmbeedee implied, there really isn't a Go Home location. On the Montana, the Go Home function is a Shortcut. To make the Shortcut useful, you need to Edit the Go Home shortcut and add your own "home" location (Waypoint) to the Shortcut "Where To?" function. And, as Emmbeedee pointed out, you need to remember not to delete your "home" Waypoint.

It would have been a bit more convenient if the Montana had used the same approach as the nuvi-based Units and made the Go Home an Application rather than a Shortcut. I like Shortcuts but since you can't "protect" data used in a Shortcut like you can in an App, this is a rather fragile Shortcut - in that it is easy to make it non-functional by deleting your "home" waypoint.

Might be a good Feature Request for those of you that actually use it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote