ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 254 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #2491
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 568
A person much wiser than me gave me some good advice once about setting a "home" waypoint in my GPS. I am not a paranoid person by any means ( I just like my privacy ) but when he suggested that I make my home waypoint somewhere within a radius of my house and not right at it, that made sense to me.

My "home" waypoint is actually a few kilometers down the road.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #2492
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 548
Or you could mark it at your house and call it something else other than "home"....
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #2493
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
As Emmbeedee implied, there really isn't a Go Home location. On the Montana, the Go Home function is a Shortcut. To make the Shortcut useful, you need to Edit the Go Home shortcut and add your own "home" location (Waypoint) to the Shortcut "Where To?" function.
I tried out the "Home" Shortcut while I was out on the bike yesterday (first ride of the year!). I had configured the shortcut properly, linking it to the waypoint I chose as "Home".

So when I clicked on the shortcut, it automatically changed profiles to Automotive from my Open Street Maps one and maps as well, as the Automotive profile had CNNA enabled.

Kinda surprised me that the gps all of a sudden looked so different.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #2494
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,117
Thx everyone. I named a waypoint "home", selected the house icon and put it in my "drawer" and all is good thx.

Now if I can only figure out how to import google maps to basecamp. For some reason I cant figure out how to shape routes with basecamp/Montana. If there are any easy tips without me reading 2000 posts let me know.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #2495
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
A person much wiser than me gave me some good advice once about setting a "home" waypoint in my GPS. I am not a paranoid person by any means ( I just like my privacy ) but when he suggested that I make my home waypoint somewhere within a radius of my house and not right at it, that made sense to me.

My "home" waypoint is actually a few kilometers down the road.

Suppose an honest person finds your gps, it will never get back to you.

I don't think most dishonest people think along the same line as you but do whatever works to make yourself feel secure.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #2496
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I tried out the "Home" Shortcut while I was out on the bike yesterday (first ride of the year!). I had configured the shortcut properly, linking it to the waypoint I chose as "Home".

So when I clicked on the shortcut, it automatically changed profiles to Automotive from my Open Street Maps one and maps as well, as the Automotive profile had CNNA enabled.

Kinda surprised me that the gps all of a sudden looked so different.
Remember that Shortcuts have Six (6) Edit fields. One of which is PROFILE - if you don't choose a Profile it has a "default". In this case it's Automotive. Just edit the Shortcut...

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #2497
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
Edit the /garmin/startup.txt file to display your name and phone number. It might get back to you if you are really lucky. :^)
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #2498
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:

I don't think most dishonest people think along the same line as you but do whatever works to make yourself feel secure.
Honest people can see that address label I put on the battery (with my phone number).
Also "flo" has been my insurance agent since 1990. Since I have never had a claim my deductible is $0 (even though I carry $1000 Deductible). I would hope insurance would cover a lost/stolen GPS.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #2499
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Thx everyone. I named a waypoint "home", selected the house icon and put it in my "drawer" and all is good thx.

Now if I can only figure out how to import google maps to basecamp. For some reason I cant figure out how to shape routes with basecamp/Montana. If there are any easy tips without me reading 2000 posts let me know.
Have you read the Help for Routing? Have you watched the Video Tutorial's? It really isn't vary difficult to create a route but if you are trying to work like you do in Google Maps you will certainly have problems.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #2500
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Remember that Shortcuts have Six (6) Edit fields. One of which is PROFILE - if you don't choose a Profile it has a "default". In this case it's Automotive. Just edit the Shortcut...

Cheers,
On my GPS I have 2 distinct profiles I use named ADV and Driving. (Both created from copies of factory profiles so if the gps crashes, I don't corrupt the factory profiles, thanks Dan)

Each profile will auto change based on mount. Out of mount it will stay on the last profile in use.
Each profile is setup exactly the same in the shortcut windows. All shortcuts are used in both profiles in exactly the same locations (makes it eaiser to remember how to use it), accept the change profile shortcuts, same place, just different shortcut to change to the "other" profile.

No mater what profile I am running on, when I select my shortcut named Go Home, the profile does not change, and routing to Home will be based on the current profile.
My home profile don't change maps either.
I have shortcuts three to "toggle" my stone road map and topo map. this turns that map on or off (based on the maps current state) and overlays on top of CNNA maps.
As a test, I turned on Topo, then hit Home. Topo stayed on.

If I go into setup/shortcuts them pick your "home" shortcut, Edit then look at the different bars:
Name (Go home)
Icon (I have a house)
Profile (empty)
Setup (empty)
Where to? Home
application Map

I bet you will show something in profile and under setup you might have changed or turned off a map.

I changed mine to use ADV profile and it showed Profile ADV, Tested it and it definitely changed to ADV profile.
then I went back in to shortcuts and selected None under profile and it cleared the profile bar.

Don't get disheartened fooling with shortcuts, it is possible to produce a shortcut that will "crash" the gps every time you select it :( If this happens, just delete the shortcut and start over
(but does it really delete the shortcut? Everytime you create one it starts at the next number, even though you renamed or deleted them.)
Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #2501
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Have you read the Help for Routing? Have you watched the Video Tutorial's? It really isn't vary difficult to create a route but if you are trying to work like you do in Google Maps you will certainly have problems.

Cheers,
I have read and watched. Maybe the problem is I keep thinking google maps. I just can find a prescribed way to drag a line/route. When I add waypoints I puts me in a circle even after I delete previous rout and create a new one with the waypoints in basecamp.

I'll read and watch again. Thx.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #2502
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,382
Quote:

Cheers,
Wow, I don't remember seeing all those setup options last time I looked at Shortcuts. Guess I need to keep exploring this thing.

Thanks!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #2503
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Wow, I don't remember seeing all those setup options last time I looked at Shortcuts. Guess I need to keep exploring this thing.

Thanks!
Agreed. I'm thinking shortcuts are probably the most powerful and under utilized feature in the Montana. Macros are always exciting when they work...
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #2504
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:

You could easily achieve that (having GPS returned by an honest person) by simply adding your name, home city and phone numbers(s) etc. to the opening splash screen. You don't need to have a Home waypoint to do that.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #2505
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Does anyone know if the Montana can be Pin locked?

My TTR2 had this and on power up, it stayed on the splash screen with my name and phone number, reward offered etc until the PIN was entered

This made it useless to anyone who found it, but they could earn some cash if they were honest. A lot more chance of it coming home if the finder cannot use it IMHO. I think there was a limited amount of PIN attempts as well, but cannot recall that bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom