ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #2536
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Fortunately for all of you, I'll be on the road soon and have fewer opportunities to hang out here.

Cheers,
Yahooooo! I am number 3 and I have only been on this thread for a couple months. I know i asked a lot of questions in the beginning, but I hope i also post usefull information as well.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #2537
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
FYI - "Who Posted"

Not sure people realize this but there's a way to see all the posts anyone has made in the threads on this and many other forums...

You can't be in the forums when you try this so if you go to the list of "Laying Down Tracks" threads here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37 then find the thread you want to check, look at the right end where you see the number of replies and click the number, and lo and behold, you'll see who made how many posts, and be able to go to any person's posts all in one screen by clicking their number.

So if you want to see all of DRTBYK's posts, you can do so!
WOW....I never knew about that feature.....Thanks

That will make it so much easier to find posts when I'm looking for stuff.

Jon...
Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #2538
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Need Help Quick

Leaving tomorrow for a 4 day trip to the Hill Country of Texas

I've been planning routes for weeks and finally done
I've got a Day 1, Day 2 thru Day 4, converted the routes to tracks and named them as such.

I then click and drag them over to the memory card while I'm in Base Camp. They show to move and after I can then click on the Device and see the correct tracks on the memory card. You can click on them and see the track on BC map.

But after unplugging my device from the computer, one of the 4 tracks will disappeard completly from the card/device. I've tried this 6 or 8 times, I've renamed the tracks, I've deleated a bunch of old tracks. But everytime I load the missing track, it appears and another one disappears.

Whats going on???? I need all these tracks and leaving tomorrow.

Helppppppppppp!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #2539
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post

I've got a Day 1, Day 2 thru Day 4, converted the routes to tracks and named them as such.

I then click and drag them over to the memory card while I'm in Base Camp. They show to move and after I can then click on the Device and see the correct tracks on the memory card. You can click on them and see the track on BC map.

But after unplugging my device from the computer, one of the 4 tracks will disappeard completly from the card/device. I've tried this 6 or 8 times, I've renamed the tracks, I've deleated a bunch of old tracks. But everytime I load the missing track, it appears and another one disappears.

Helppppppppppp!!!!!!!!
No expert here, by any means, but instead of dragging and dropping routes/tracks etc., why not just select the appropriate List in Basecamp and then use the "Send List To Device" function to upload them to your Montana (or its microSD card)? Using that function, there will be boxes where you tick off what within that List you want to transfer, e.g., routes, tracks, waypoints etc. BTW, I'm using Basecamp for Mac.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #2540
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,144
Quote:

Helppppppppppp!!!!!!!!
How many Tracks do you have in the Track Manager on the Montana? Sounds like it's full (200). You don't have to delete tracks from the Track Manager just move the ones you don't want "active" to Archive.

If this same Track is the only one causing a problem, I would suggest looking to see how many track points it has. Can't be more than 10,000. But even then, that shouldn't cause it not to load.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #2541
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:

Helppppppppppp!!!!!!!!

I only had about 40ish tracks on the card.

But I got it fixed, not sure how or why.

I deleted them from the card/device completly, then in BC, changed the names totally different than before. Instead of "Hill Country Day 1", I changed it to "HC Sunday" etc.

Then put them back to the card and volia, there they all are, So, got what I want, just not sure why....
Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #2542
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Lat/Lon Format

What Lat/Lon format do folks use in the U.S.?

The Montana, the Zumo, and BaseCamp all default to.... hddd mm.mmm so that's what I have been using.

I'm working on some way points that are given to me as.... hddd.dddd and hddd mm ss.s

1. Does it really matter what format I use?
  2. Is one more accurate than another?
  3. Is there a common standard?
I sure hope this is not like asking what oil to use

Thanks,

Jon...

Jon_PDX screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 05:23 AM
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #2543
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oh, I have another question....

In BaseCamp is there a way to search for coordinates?

I've looked and looked and can't find that in the search fields.

The only way I have been able to mark the way points I'm working on is to create one and then go to the way point properties for the new way point and enter the correct coordinates. There has to be a easier way to do it.

Thanks,

Jon...
Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #2544
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
What Lat/Lon format do folks use in the U.S.?

The Montana, the Zumo, and Base Camp all default to.... hddd mm.mmm so that's what I have been using.

I'm working on some way points that are given to me as.... hddd.dddd and hddd mm ss.s

1. Does it really matter what format I use?
  2. Is one more accurate than another?
  3. Is there a common standard?
I sure hope this is not like asking what oil to use

Thanks,

Jon...

I am pretty sure that the Montana can only work with one format at a time, meaning if you look at your waypoint list in the Montana, the coordinates will all be displayed in the format you have selected from the "position format" tab in the setup menu.

If someone has given you coordinates for a waypoint in a format other than what you have selected, no problem. Prior to entering that waypoint into the Montana, open the "position format" tab in the setup menu and enter the coordinate format that matches your new waypoint. Now all of your waypoints in the Montana will have been converted to that format. Enter the coordinates. Now, if you choose to, you can reselect the format of your choice from the "position format" tab and the coordinates will automatically be converted by the Montana.

There are many standards used these days but I personally use the hdd mm ss because that was the original standard developed back in the days of Magellan when a time piece was critical. It is also the standard we use in aviation. Nowadays, many are using a contracted format showing 10ths of a minute rather than seconds. So just use what suits you the best I guess. As far as one being more accurate than another, I doubt this would be of any concern with a recreational unit like the Montana.

Not sure about BC because I don't use it much but the Montana itself will convert between formats and I would presume that BC would be capable of the same.

You can demonstrate this by marking you position using "mark waypoint". This will save your current position. Now open the "edit" tab and this will display your coordinates in the format you have selected. Save the waypoint, go back and change the position format, reopen your newly saved waypoint and you will now see the same coordinates displayed in the newly selected format.

Pete O Static screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 05:53 AM
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #2545
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Oh, I have another question....

In BaseCamp is there a way to search for coordinates?

I've looked and looked and can't find that in the search fields.

The only way I have been able to mark the way points I'm working on is to create one and then go to the way point properties for the new way point and enter the correct coordinates. There has to be a easier way to do it.

Thanks,

Jon...
For Mac-BC, Find->Locate Coordinates->...Create Waypoint at...

OK, I turned on Windows - dislike that OS...anyway, Win-BC, View->Recenter Map To...->...Create Waypoint

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 07:51 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:37 AM   #2546
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,131
Montana software version 3.96 Beta

as of March 16, 2012

Download (6.47 MB)

View installation instructions and system requirements

Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History

Changes made from version 3.94 to 3.96:

Added ability to toggle map between Track Up and North Up by touching the North arrow
Improved ability to select the geocache photos button when reviewing a geocache
Fixed issue with viewing the Elevation/Distance plot when routing
Fixed issue with Go button not showing up on map when viewing certain Where To? points
Fixed issue causing a freeze when adding certain items to the Main Menu or Drawer
Fixed issue with help files shutting down the device
Fixed orientation change when viewing help
Fixed issue causing a freeze when configuring the power key
Fixed 'Go' button in chirp details
Fixed possible shutdown caused by the Small Data Fields dashboard
Fixed Where To? > Address searching
Fixed issues with spell searching: spell city, geocache name, etc.
Fixed point selection on the Elevation Plot
Problems with this beta software may be reported to MontanaBeta@garmin.com

This is Beta software.

Check here to see what others think about it before updating:

Groundspeak Forums

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5679
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #2547
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Montana software version 3.96 Beta

This is Beta software.
Worked properly for me; the software is now installed and no surprises here. Yet.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #2548
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Worked properly for me; the software is now installed and no surprises here. Yet.
Yesterday afternoon I received my new Montana 600 (in exchange for my previous one which turned into a paper weight when I loaded Beta v3.93). I'm busy setting it up again and loading maps etc. You won't be surprised if I tell you I'm waiting for the next "public" release of updated Montana firmware.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #2549
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Yesterday afternoon I received my new Montana 600 (in exchange for my previous one which turned into a paper weight when I loaded Beta v3.93). I'm busy setting it up again and loading maps etc. You won't be surprised if I tell you I'm waiting for the next "public" release of updated Montana firmware.
No, I'm not surprised.

I am happy to have the ability to toggle between North Up and Track Up right from the map page. That's useful.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #2550
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
3.96 Beta

Just loaded 3.96 on mine and its up and running too

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote