ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 185 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #2656
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Well, they almost got that right. Now, after adding fields, which crashed the unit before, when you reset the values to default it crashes. Another email to MontanaBeta
Restore Default in the Trip Computer setup screen did nothing but reset mine...

3.97 seems to be working well for me.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #2657
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Restore Default in the Trip Computer setup screen did nothing but reset mine...

3.97 seems to be working well for me.
it's a little more than just clicking the Restore Defaults from the Trip Computer

1) open drawer
2) click on Trip Computer
3) select menu option icon (displays Reset, Setup Trip Computer, Change Dashboard, etc)
4) select Setup Trip Computer
5) click Insert
6) add a new field (I added the date)
7) click the return icon
8) click the down arrow to validate the new field was added
9) select menu option icon
10) select Setup Trip Computer
11) select menu option icon
12) select Restore Defaults
13) select return

Crash

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #2658
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
it's a little more than just clicking the Restore Defaults from the Trip Computer

1) open drawer
3) select menu option icon (displays Reset, Setup Trip Computer, Change Dashboard, etc)
5) click Insert
7) click the return icon
13) select return

Crash
Those were almost exactly the steps I took. I had two screens in the Trip Computer, and added more fields, tinkered some more, then hit Menu/Restore Defaults.

Worked for me.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #2659
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:

1) open drawer
5) click Insert
7) click the return icon
13) select return

Crash
Just for the sake of argument, I tried one more time following exactly the steps you listed and once again it worked perfectly.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #2660
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Just for the sake of argument, I tried one more time following exactly the steps you listed and once again it worked perfectly.
Thanks for fixing it. I redid my steps exactly and the GPS crashed. Then I simulated what you did an now mine doesn't crash no matter what I do. You need to get a job at Garmin tech support

Moto-Treks
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #2661
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks for fixing it. I redid my steps exactly and the GPS crashed. Then I simulated what you did an now mine doesn't crash no matter what I do. You need to get a job at Garmin tech support
It's good to know yours is ok now too. Did you change anything, like the Trip Computer Dashboard?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #2662
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
It's good to know yours is ok now too. Did you change anything, like the Trip Computer Dashboard?
Change? Well not really but maybe internally

Because you said you had two screens I wanted to create an environment like that before I tested the steps above. So, I powered up the GPS and opened the Trip Computer in the Recreation profile. Then I added two new fields and returned to the Trip Computer to verify the new fields. I returned to the home screen, powered off the GPS and then turned it back on. I'm guessing that the Trip Computer was now similar to yours with two screens when powered up. Then I repeated the steps and it didn't crash.

The GPS was in it's reset condition now (default fields - one screen) so I cycled power again and tested with my original steps and it did not crash - problem fixed

I had never setup the Trip Computer before so I'm guessing there was a null value or something sitting around that was initialized once I excited the Trip Computer without it crashing. If I have time I'll do a factory reset and try again.

Moto-Treks
Old 03-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #2663
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,737
Quick question. Oregon 650 user, but I'm getting a 600 as soon as I see a sale. A buddy has a Montana but uses the regulations RAM mount and powers his via the usb while riding. I think he's asking for trouble because that's what crapped out my Oregon's usb power connection.

What's the skinny. I'm personally getting the rugged mount and hard wiring it. Also should I get one for each bike or is there some sort of connector so I could switch to another bike?.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #2664
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Quick question. Oregon 650 user, but I'm getting a 600 as soon as I see a sale. A buddy has a Montana but uses the regulations RAM mount and powers his via the usb while riding. I think he's asking for trouble because that's what crapped out my Oregon's usb power connection.

What's the skinny. I'm personally getting the rugged mount and hard wiring it. Also should I get one for each bike or is there some sort of connector so I could switch to another bike?.
USB Power? Just say no.

Far better to get the Rugged Mount, and stick a SAE end on the power wires like this.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #2665
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,056
Quote:
A buddy has a Montana but uses the regulations RAM mount and powers his via the usb while riding. I think he's asking for trouble because that's what crapped out my Oregon's usb power connection.

Garmin engineers one of the best on-bike-power solutions for a GPS (AMPS Rugged Mount) and your friend would rather save $23 and destroy his $600 GPS?!?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 10:25 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #2666
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
I've done the connector thing before but that was with a $$$ touratech mount. For the price of the Garmin rugged mount I'd just buy one for each bike.

Moto-Treks
Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #2667
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 982
AA battery duration

I don't have my Montana hard-wired (one of my bikes doesn't have a battery), and the rechargeable Li doesn't seem to last near as long as Garmin states "up to 16 hours (lithium-ion); up to 22 hours (AA batteries)".
So, I'm going on a real long ride soon, and going to take AA's as a backup... has anyone tested how long they last?
I'm sure I'll be fine with the AA's, but curious if anyone has done a real-world test.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #2668
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I've done the connector thing before but that was with a $$$ touratech mount. For the price of the Garmin rugged mount I'd just buy one for each bike.
I have a rugged mount for each bike but I still use the SAE plug. I just happen to have a Battery Tender connection up at the bars on each bike so it makes sense to use that. Also, if I can take the Rugged Mount off in a hurry, it means I can put it on another bike if I borrow one.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #2669
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
I don't have my Montana hard-wired (one of my bikes doesn't have a battery), and the rechargeable Li doesn't seem to last near as long as Garmin states "up to 16 hours (lithium-ion); up to 22 hours (AA batteries)".
So, I'm going on a real long ride soon, and going to take AA's as a backup... has anyone tested how long they last?
I'm sure I'll be fine with the AA's, but curious if anyone has done a real-world test.
As long as you take advantage of the Battery Saver mode and don't try to use full screen brightness, I'm sure batteries will last well.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #2670
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
I do this on my Beta. With battery saver on, AAs will last me upwards of 25-30 hrs. You have to touch the display to see the map though.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote