ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #2716
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,236
This happens when I put an address straight into the unit.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #2717
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
... if you want your ZOOM level to stay at the point at which you were when scrolling the map, just set the Setup Map->Advanced Setup->Auto Zoom = OFF. ...,
I'll try that, thanks. I've always had Auto Zoom = ON ever since my Etrex Legend days as it's really a useful feature IMO.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #2718
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Also, when it does happen, give Emmbeedee's suggestion a try. It appears as though this process of restarting may clear out a buffer that is causing this condition.

Cheers,

Ahhh, ok. Will do. :cross fingers:

Thanks!
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #2719
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
This happens when I put an address straight into the unit.
I had that happen on my first Montana (screen cal failure) but have not seen it since.

If it were me, I would give my Montana a thorough data cleaning - I mean, remove all of your data: SD Card, Maps, Routes, Tracks, Waypoints, etc. Then, place unit in Recreation Profile and Power Off. Then Master Reset. After boot, load just your CNNA map (assumption) and place the unit in Automotive Profile. Then see if you still have the same condition.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #2720
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
When this happens, try shutting it off by holding your finger on the power button for 20 seconds. I think if you use this method instead of taking the battery out, to get through the white screen problem, you'll see the white screen much less often.
Mine does this as well.

Do you need to remove the GPS from the powered mount (rugged mount in my case) to do this? I can hold the power button down forever and nothing happens with the white screen. By the time I take it out of the mount I just pop the battery because I'm fed up at that point.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #2721
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Mine does this as well.

Do you need to remove the GPS from the powered mount (rugged mount in my case) to do this? I can hold the power button down forever and nothing happens with the white screen. By the time I take it out of the mount I just pop the battery because I'm fed up at that point.
I do remove it from the mount when I do this.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #2722
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,236
Quote:
I had that happen on my first Montana (screen cal failure) but have not seen it since.

If it were me, I would give my Montana a thorough data cleaning - I mean, remove all of your data: SD Card, Maps, Routes, Tracks, Waypoints, etc. Then, place unit in Recreation Profile and Power Off. Then Master Reset. After boot, load just your CNNA map (assumption) and place the unit in Automotive Profile. Then see if you still have the same condition.

Cheers,
Changed the dashboard from Nuvi to automotive and all is good. Haven't tried switching back to see if the problem comes back.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #2723
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Ok, I have a question about routing on the Montana (not BaseCamp or Mapsource). Let's say I'm going somewhere (Waypoint X) and I'm cruising along and I get hungry. I want to find a place to eat. So I look up in Where To? and find Restaurant A. On the Montana, I hit GO and my current route disappears and the new route is to Restaurant A. So what happened to my original route? Gone? Still there in the background? On my old Nuvi, it would ask me if I want to "add as via point" or create a new destination. The Montana doesn't offer any options.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #2724
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,798
white screen

Mine was doing this also. Here is how I fixed it.

Reset device back to factory settings:

All though that is what the screen said "reset to factory settings", it really does not!
My First Mistake. When you modify settings to profiles, it will save the changes to the default profile with no way to back out!

Dan gave me copies of default profiles which I loaded back on my GPS.

Now, first, pick Motorcycling profile, save it as a new name (I used ADV) then save changes to this new profile.
I also had to copy back in the origiinal Automotive profile.

Anyway, Now it works fine. I think what happened was I made a mistake on something in a profile when I was first starting and the problems just compound from there. Now that I have more of a clue on how to configure the device, starting from factory defaults (with Dan's help) and I avoided what ever was causing the problem.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #2725
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Ok, I have a question about routing on the Montana (not BaseCamp or Mapsource). Let's say I'm going somewhere (Waypoint X) and I'm cruising along and I get hungry. I want to find a place to eat. So I look up in Where To? and find Restaurant A. On the Montana, I hit GO and my current route disappears and the new route is to Restaurant A. So what happened to my original route? Gone? Still there in the background? On my old Nuvi, it would ask me if I want to "add as via point" or create a new destination. The Montana doesn't offer any options.
Depends if you just did a "Where To", without creating a route then navigating that.

If you create a route in the Route Planner, it will exist as a route you can add waypoints to, but if you're doing a simple "Navigate" to a point, I don't think your original destination remains as it's no longer your destination. You will find it in the "Recently Founds", though, so you can resume that way..
Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #2726
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
Mine was doing this also. Here is how I fixed it.

Reset device back to factory settings:
I'll be interested to see if this really is a fix for the "White Screen" problem. It seemed to me more like what Dan described - a condition where something would only be flushed with a power switch shutdown/restart. I think the shutdown method is far less work, and the first thing to try, IMHO.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #2727
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Depends if you just did a "Where To", without creating a route then navigating that.

If you create a route in the Route Planner, it will exist as a route you can add waypoints to, but if you're doing a simple "Navigate" to a point, I don't think your original destination remains as it's no longer your destination. You will find it in the "Recently Founds", though, so you can resume that way..

Hmmmm. I'm going to have to explore that now. This is an adjustment in thinking from Nuvi to Montana. Thanks for educating me.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #2728
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Just did a test. I started a route (router planner --> Route X --> View map --> GO). Then I went to Where to --> Find another (the only other choices were "stop route navigation" and "change route activity") --> food and drink --> Restaurant A --> GO (only option). It stopped my original route and changed to going to Restaurant A. There were no other options to add it the route (a real route as opposed to going to a waypoint). So what am I doing wrong?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #2729
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,040
Quote:
Just did a test. I started a route (router planner --> Route X --> View map --> GO). Then I went to Where to --> Find another (the only other choices were "stop route navigation" and "change route activity") --> food and drink --> Restaurant A --> GO (only option). It stopped my original route and changed to going to Restaurant A. There were no other options to add it the route (a real route as opposed to going to a waypoint). So what am I doing wrong?
Nothing. The Montana has very rudimentary Routing. If you desire more routing options you should make your wishes known to the Montana Team.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #2730
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Go back to the Route Planner, select the route, select Edit Route, select a point on the route, then you can change that point's location in the route sequence, or Insert a point in the route.