ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 247 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #2716
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
Mine was doing this also. Here is how I fixed it.

Reset device back to factory settings:
I'll be interested to see if this really is a fix for the "White Screen" problem. It seemed to me more like what Dan described - a condition where something would only be flushed with a power switch shutdown/restart. I think the shutdown method is far less work, and the first thing to try, IMHO.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #2717
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Depends if you just did a "Where To", without creating a route then navigating that.

If you create a route in the Route Planner, it will exist as a route you can add waypoints to, but if you're doing a simple "Navigate" to a point, I don't think your original destination remains as it's no longer your destination. You will find it in the "Recently Founds", though, so you can resume that way..

Hmmmm. I'm going to have to explore that now. This is an adjustment in thinking from Nuvi to Montana. Thanks for educating me.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #2718
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Just did a test. I started a route (router planner --> Route X --> View map --> GO). Then I went to Where to --> Find another (the only other choices were "stop route navigation" and "change route activity") --> food and drink --> Restaurant A --> GO (only option). It stopped my original route and changed to going to Restaurant A. There were no other options to add it the route (a real route as opposed to going to a waypoint). So what am I doing wrong?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #2719
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Just did a test. I started a route (router planner --> Route X --> View map --> GO). Then I went to Where to --> Find another (the only other choices were "stop route navigation" and "change route activity") --> food and drink --> Restaurant A --> GO (only option). It stopped my original route and changed to going to Restaurant A. There were no other options to add it the route (a real route as opposed to going to a waypoint). So what am I doing wrong?
Nothing. The Montana has very rudimentary Routing. If you desire more routing options you should make your wishes known to the Montana Team.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #2720
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Go back to the Route Planner, select the route, select Edit Route, select a point on the route, then you can change that point's location in the route sequence, or Insert a point in the route.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #2721
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Nothing. The Montana has very rudimentary Routing. If you desire more routing options you should make your wishes known to the Montana Team.

Cheers,
Doh. I will make the suggestion.

Quote:
Go back to the Route Planner, select the route, select Edit Route, select a point on the route, then you can change that point's location in the route sequence, or Insert a point in the route.
Wow. A lot of steps there. I'll give it a try.

Thanks both of ya!!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #2722
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Wow. A lot of steps there. I'll give it a try.

Thanks both of ya!!
Well you could create a Shortcut to the Route Planner, save a bit of time if you need it often.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #2723
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Well you could create a Shortcut to the Route Planner, save a bit of time if you need it often.
I have that already. I was thinking more along the lines of "add as via point" would be SO much faster than "select a route, edit route, select a point on the route, insert a point" etc. Especially when it looks like you'd have to have a preselected waypoint saved to be able to insert it into the route. I briefly messed with it last night and didn't see how you could search for a POI and add that to the route without saving it in your waypoint list. Knowhudimean? So you're traveling on your route, you need to stop for fuel, you search for a station, then add to your list of waypoints so you can go back to your route, edit the route, and insert the fuel station as a stop.

I'll make a suggestion to Garmin that they put in an "add as via point" option in.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #2724
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Especially when it looks like you'd have to have a preselected waypoint saved to be able to insert it into the route.
Not sure where you got this impression. There's no need to save waypoints beforehand in order to add them to a route. When you're in the Route Planner, select Insert, choose the category "Fuel Services", choose the station and add it to the route.

There's no doubt it could be easier to add a waypoint to the active route but I don't really see the benefit of adding a specific gas station to a route. I'd just find the nearest station, navigate to that station, then get back on the original route. What's so important about keeping that waypoint in the route?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #2725
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Not sure where you got this impression. There's no need to save waypoints beforehand in order to add them to a route. When you're in the Route Planner, select Insert, choose the category "Fuel Services", choose the station and add it to the route.

There's no doubt it could be easier to add a waypoint to the active route but I don't really see the benefit of adding a specific gas station to a route. I'd just find the nearest station, navigate to that station, then get back on the original route. What's so important about keeping that waypoint in the route?
When you navigate to that nearest station, it stops the current route you're on. You have to go back in and restart the route after you've completed your detour to the gas station. If you need to do more than one stop, you're constantly having to go in and start and stop routes over and over.

I dunno. I guess I'm just being unreasonable.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #2726
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,829
rugged mount question.....

I know the rugged mount has a 'security' screw to sort of lock the Montana to the mount, but do you guys trust it? I've always uplugged my past gps units and took them with me when I left my bike. What do you folks do??

Still waiting for that 600 sale price.....
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #2727
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,114
Yep. I unplug and stick in my coat pocket
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #2728
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
I know the rugged mount has a 'security' screw to sort of lock the Montana to the mount, but do you guys trust it? I've always uplugged my past gps units and took them with me when I left my bike. What do you folks do??

I leave mine on the bike, as long as the bike's not hidden from view.

But I'm in Canada.

In fact last weekend my wife and I left both our Montanas on our bikes, and we couldn't see them from where we were, but the cook, the owner if this sweet little R80 could watch over it for us.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 10:23 AM
Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #2729
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post

I just leave it on the bike. But where I ride no one would really take it. I also leave my tank bag, helmet, jacket, gloves, etc. Now, if I was in a major city and couldn't see my bike when I left it I might take that stuff with me.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #2730
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Has anyone come up with a good way to cover the camera lens? Mine keeps getting dust/dirt/bugs on it when riding. Have to clean it anytime I stop to take a picture.

I'm guessing some sort of rubber plug would work, have to check a Lowe's to see what is available.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote