ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #2956
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I wasn't just referring to Montana's. I've been using Garmin GPS's for a long time and they have been having problems ever since they started releasing Beta's rather than just "Updates".

I never saw a beta update when I had an Etrex Legend and I never had a problem with an update. I stopped being an "early adopter" years ago.
I've been using Garmin products since 2003. I still don't remember any bad updates, beta or production, which caused problems for me. I've had multiple 12XLs, Legends, Emap, V, 60/76, Oregons, 62S, and of course the Montanas.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #2957
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
You can create a shortcut for orientation

or

you can add click the compass arrow on the map and temporarily switch between track-up and north-up
Thanks, I've created track up and north up shortcuts. It works pretty good. Although I'm waiting for the compass arrow click to work on released firmware.

Spiritwalker2222 screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 07:30 PM
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #2958
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
"Added new route activity types"

Maybe there'll be an activity that will enable routing BOTH on Interstate (motorcycling) as well as on Narrow Trails (cycling).

I know. Crazy.

Who would do that?
Here are some of the new activity types:
  1. Mountain Biking
  2. Hiking
  3. Mountaineering
  4. ATV/Off Road Driving
  5. Tour Cycling
  6. Pedestrian Walking

And the way to remove pushpins when panning the map is to hit the X at the bottom right of the pushpin's text box at the top of the screen.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #2959
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
As for showing Tracks on the Map, you can set as many Tracks in the Track Manager to "Show on Map" as you like. But, the Montana can only show 10,000 points on the Map at any one time, regardless of how many tracks make up that 10,000 points.
What happens when you have more than 10,000 track points? I currently have two tracks of one area with around 16,000 track points between the two of them. It appears that it's showing everything, but I don't if it is. Is it 10,000 points on the map including what you can't see, or is it only what's currently on the screen?

If it's truncating to 10,000 points, what is it doing. Is it removing the last points(doesn't appear to be what it's doing). Or removing points that are closest to each other?
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #2960
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Thanks, very helpful.

Next question: Besides a hard reset back to factory defaults, is there any way to reset the regular Odometer (not trip)?

I like to reset the trip odometer daily, and leave the regular odometer running for the whole 2-weeks we're on the trail to log our cumulative miles.
The only way to reset the Odometer is to do a Master Reset.

This really isn't as big of a deal as it use to be on other devices. Just set your Profile to Recreation and do a software master reset (Reset All Settings) when you want it reset. Then after you select your Language call up your personal Profile.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 03:05 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #2961
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
... And the way to remove pushpins when panning the map is to hit the X at the bottom right of the pushpin's text box at the top of the screen.
Have you tried it with gloves on?

The ATV/Off Road Driving activity looked interesting but unfortunately it doesn't work with off-road routes (gets the old 'only 50 points can be used for follow road navigation').
BobM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #2962
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Have you tried it with gloves on?
No, I haven't. As long as I'm not wearing boxing gloves, I should be ok.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #2963
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
And the way to remove pushpins when panning the map is to hit the X at the bottom right of the pushpin's text box at the top of the screen.
Man I love that

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #2964
BobM
DualSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
Thanks, I've created track up and north up shortcuts. It works pretty good. Although I'm waiting for the compass arrow click to work on released firmware.
It seems like you need to be setup for "Track Up" first. The map doesn't display a N arrow when in "North Up".

When in Track Up mode, tap the N arrow and screen switches to North Up BUT the N arrow remains displayed so you can tap it and switch back.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #2965
BobM
DualSport

Quote:
No, I haven't. As long as I'm not wearing boxing gloves, I should be ok.
I only get about a 10% sucess rate without gloves - it's a TINY target area.

BTW, I decided to try the Beta s/w as I have endless problems with the Red Pin when scrolling while riding. I've e-mailed MontanaBeta to ask for a Delete "X" next to the Create Waypoint flag (on next page) as that's where I end up trying to hit the X in the map screen waypoint box.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #2966
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Maybe it's your fingers? I just tried it a few more times and have no problem getting the pin to disappear. Try your pinky.

You could keep a stylus around, and scroll/X with that too.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #2967
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
What happens when you have more than 10,000 track points? I currently have two tracks of one area with around 16,000 track points between the two of them. It appears that it's showing everything, but I don't if it is. Is it 10,000 points on the map including what you can't see, or is it only what's currently on the screen?

If it's truncating to 10,000 points, what is it doing. Is it removing the last points(doesn't appear to be what it's doing). Or removing points that are closest to each other?
Well, I suppose I should have checked this after the last 3.90 update. The unit will now show - well I don't know what the limit is until I can clear my current trip data and load my test file with 200 tracks and then set them all to show on the map . But the unit still does truncate any single track at point #10,000.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #2968
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

This is just a little public thank you to the Montana Dev Team. The Montana 600 Series is by far the most advanced feature-rich GPS unit that Garmin has ever produced and I think it will continue to get even better if the Garmin Exec's will continue to fund it.

About the "only" thing I would really like to see is:
Feature & Description
  1. Four Corner - Transparent Data Fields. Please provide an additional Dashboard option for Small (1/3 smaller than the current "Small") Transparent-background, Configurable Data fields in the four corners of the Map screen similar to the zumo 660's More Map View or the GPSMAP 478.
  2. Track Manager - Options. Provide a Setting tab option on the main Track Manager screen to: "Show All Tracks on Map", "Hide All Tracks on Map", "Delete All Tracks".
  3. Waypoint Categories. Support Waypoint Categories and Adventures
  4. Waypoint Contact Info. Support Waypoint Contact Info Fields (Street Address, City, State, ZIP, Country, Phone #'s)
  5. Display - Screen Capture. Save Screen Capture setting in Profile
  6. Where To? Search - Along Active Route. When navigating; Option to search "Along Active Route"
  7. Power Management - Option. Keep unit on when External Power is lost as a Profile setting.
  8. Multiple Trip Odometers. Multiple Independently resettable Trip Odometers
  9. Camera Settings. Provide Camera settings (Resolution and Storage Location) as part of the Profile data.
  10. Save Current Track Shortcut option. Provide a Shortcut Setting for Track - Save Current Track. Allow this setting to be combined with Clear Current Track as part of a "Save and Clear" Shortcut.
  11. Track - "Show on Map". Save the Track "Show on Map" selection in the GPX data so that when a Track is shared with other GPS it will show on the Map as defined in the GPX data - just like Color selection is saved.
  12. Shortcut for TracBack
  13. Shortcut "Setup" - Indicate Option(s). Indicate the Setup Options applied to a Shortcut using # and Alfa combo for each option selected.
  14. Resettable Odometer. A Shortcut / Reset option to reset the Odometer without having to preform a Master Reset. (dacrazyrn)
  15. Data field for voltage from Mount.
  16. Do not recalculate Routes upon Open. Show routes as they were created as long as Map versions are the same.
  17. Support mixed Along-road and Direct Routing routes.
  18. Display setting to allow Topo data to be hidden, showing Major and/or Minor topo lines at greater than specified zoom level.
  19. Track Manager/Waypoint Manager/Route Planner - please add the ability to "short by Alphanumeric" to these data lists.
  20. Security Lock: "PIN" code and location support.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 03:08 PM
Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #2969
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
I'm seeing the same problem in Portrait mode trying to remove the push pin. From Landscape mode seems to work fine. Appears the hotspot still needs some work.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #2970
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Well, it turns out that with the updated Routing feature, the Montana now accepts mixed-routes. Just remember to set "Recalculate=Off" in your Routing settings when you navigate one of these.

The way to create a mixed-route in BaseCamp is to create your along-road segments using your routable map and when you need to go off-road, switch to a non-routable map - don't change the routing Activity as this will recalculate the entire route. Once you have your route the way you want it, just drag and drop the route to the Montana internal or µSD storage.

Oh, here is a screenshot of a mixed-route. The area in the red circle is Direct Routing.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 03:24 PM