ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #3001
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
I have been getting used to the 650T and set up some profiles, but never really had a chance to use it on the bike, with a planned destination. So I was a bit surprised when this happened on my ride south to Brissy the other day

So, I have been using a profile, lets say Automotive for example and ride into the servo to fuel up, the unit is in a rugged mount. It asks me if I want to keep power on or shut down, I say shut down, it does. When I power up it has now reset back to Recreation mode!!!

I set it to Automotive, a bit peeved, ride for 3 hours or so, stop for fuel, HAH, I'll fix you, when it asks to shut down, I say keep running on battery power, so it does, but inmnediately reverts to RECREATION mode, WTF is going on here?

I must say after just landing in Frankfurt, I really do not want to send this home for warranty, I am hoping it is a setting somewhere that I missed.

I do have a vague memory of different profile defaults for different mounts, but I do not think that should cause it to revert to a default profile at any stage.

Any help with this one please? My bike does not arrive over here for a few days, so I do have some time to master default if need be and start from scratch, unless someone can point me to a shortcut :)

Cheers
TS
I was just reminded by someone that there are In/Out of Mount Profile Options.
Sounds like the device is set to use Recreational when not mounted. If you go to setup -> profiles -> menu -> set mount profiles, then there is an option listed for when the Montana is not mounted. Setting that to "No Change" should solve the problem.

If power gets cut to the rugged mount (for example, when turning off the engine to fill up the gas tank), the Montana thinks it is out of the mount, so it will switch to the "Not Mounted" profile.
Cheers,

( I am not liking this "getting old and forgetting" phenomena)

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 01:52 PM Reason: Brain cramp....old age!
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #3002
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
snip. . .

Now, if they could just get rid of the duplicate waypoint/route issue with Basecamp that doesn't happen in Mapsource, in addition to Dan's wish list, I would be a happy user!
There are definitely issues with BaseCamp and how it "packages" data for the Montana (and I presume other newer On The Trail units).

I did note though some time back that if you send your data to the µSD card you will not get the duplicate Waypoints from your Routes. Sending to Internal storage is the issue because of the way the Montana separates the data objects into Waypoints.gpx, Routes.gpx and Tracks.gpx files on internal storage. I really think this is something that the Montana Team is going to have to deal with but maybe the BC Team can "help".

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #3003
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I did note though some time back that if you send your data to the µSD card you will not get the duplicate Waypoints from your Routes.
I have a Garmin uSD CNNA card for the Montana. I suppose I could get a larger uSD card (8+GB) and copy the contents of the Garmin uSD card to the new card so there would be plenty of room for more data. I have copied the contents of the Garmin CNNA uSD card to a thumb drive for backup and so I can use the CNNA maps on another computer that doesn't have CNNA loaded without having to attach the Montana, so it should work.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #3004
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,269
Laptop and PC...CNNA 2012..??

Excuse my hijack here..as nobody seems to answer my post in the appropriate column:

Windows BaseCamp v3.3.2 released

Hi BaseCamp Gurus.....Can you help here?

I downoladed CNNA 2012 DVD onto my traveling Laptop PC then transferred the chosen maps to my Montana: no problem. Also updated BaseCamp to v3.3.2; no problem. BaseCamp map. "Select a map product to display" shows: 2012.1; 2012.4). Perfect!

Updated BaseCamp on my Desktop PC to v3.3.2: no problem! BUT the "Select a map product for display" in BaseCamp shows that I only have: 2010.1, 2011.2. Where is my CNNA 2012.4 in the ...."map product for display" on the desktop PC even though I am connected to the same Montana. This is my only GPS for both Windows(Laptop and desktop). Although both PC's also have Mapsource!

Thank you...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #3005
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,691
Map recalculation in Route Planner

So what triggers a route to be recalculated in Route Planner and has this changed with beta 3.98?

If I view a route in trip planner that was downloaded prior to 3.98 (GPS is running 3.98) when the map & route appear the route is displayed as direct routing. Then after a few seconds the display is refreshed with the route recalculated. If I do the same thing with a route that was downloaded after 3.98 the route is never calculated and is displayed as direct routing. This is true even if I edit the route in the GPS and add a new waypoint, reverse the route or change my routing activity.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #3006
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Excuse my hijack here..as nobody seems to answer my post in the appropriate column:

Windows BaseCamp v3.3.2 released

Hi BaseCamp Gurus.....Can you help here?

I downoladed CNNA 2012 DVD onto my traveling Laptop PC then transferred the chosen maps to my Montana: no problem. Also updated BaseCamp to v3.3.2; no problem. BaseCamp map. "Select a map product to display" shows: 2012.1; 2012.4). Perfect!
Are you saying that you have the Montana connected to the laptop and when you look in the "Map Product" display only see ONE entry for CNNA 2012.40? If the map on your Montana is being indexed by BaseCamp you should see TWO entries for CNNA2012.40 since you have said you installed CNNA on to the Laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Updated BaseCamp on my Desktop PC to v3.3.2: no problem! BUT the "Select a map product for display" in BaseCamp shows that I only have: 2010.1, 2011.2. Where is my CNNA 2012.4 in the ...."map product for display" on the desktop PC even though I am connected to the same Montana. This is my only GPS for both Windows(Laptop and desktop). Although both PC's also have Mapsource!
Thank you...
My speculation is that BaseCamp is NOT reading the CNNA 2012.40 map from your Montana therefore you don't see any entry for CNNA in your Map Products display. (???)

Unless you use "hacker" software to change the metadata in the CNNA map on your Montana, BaseCamp can only read/index Factory installed maps on a Garmin GPS. This is not the fault of the BaseCamp application. Garmin's Cartography Group has mandated this - for who knows what reason.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 02:24 PM
Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #3007
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Laptop/PC

Quote:
Are you saying that you have the Montana connected to the laptop and when you look in the "Map Product" display only see ONE entry for CNNA 2012.40? If the map on your Montana is being indexed by BaseCamp you should see TWO entries for CNNA2012.40 since you have said you installed CNNA on to the Laptop.

Yes, I see 2 entries: one for 2012.1(when DVD was brought new); the other is a update: 2012.4 on the Laptop.

My speculation is that BaseCamp is NOT reading the CNNA 2012.40 map from your Montana therefore you don't see any entry for CNNA in your Map Products display. (???)

As for the desktop PC...So how come BaseCamp does not read the CNNA 2012 DVD(2012.1) or from my Montana (2012.4). Any recourse?

Thank you

Cheers,
Cheer....
Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #3008
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
So what triggers a route to be recalculated in Route Planner and has this changed with beta 3.98?

If I view a route in trip planner that was downloaded prior to 3.98 (GPS is running 3.98) when the map & route appear the route is displayed as direct routing. Then after a few seconds the display is refreshed with the route recalculated. If I do the same thing with a route that was downloaded after 3.98 the route is never calculated and is displayed as direct routing. This is true even if I edit the route in the GPS and add a new waypoint, reverse the route or change my routing activity.
How many Via-points does this route have in it? If there are more than 50, the Montana will default to Direct Routing and not read the route at all. But, since you didn't say anything about the 50 point error message maybe that's not the issue.

Are you using BaseCamp to transfer the route to the Montana? Assuming BaseCamp, when you view the route on the computer it is routed along-roads?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #3009
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Cheer....
The recourse is to install CNNA 2012.1 or CNNA 2012.4 on your desktop PC so that BaseCamp and MapSource can use them. Eventually Garmin will fix this Cartography Group issue.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #3010
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
I was just reminded by someone that there are In/Out of Mount Profile Options.
Sounds like the device is set to use Recreational when not mounted. If you go to setup -> profiles -> menu -> set mount profiles, then there is an option listed for when the Montana is not mounted. Setting that to "No Change" should solve the problem.

If power gets cut to the rugged mount (for example, when turning off the engine to fill up the gas tank), the Montana thinks it is out of the mount, so it will switch to the "Not Mounted" profile.
Cheers,

( I am not liking this "getting old and forgetting" phenomena)

OK thanks for that Dan, I checked and I had them all set to my personal profile, so I have now changed them all to 'No Change' and when the bike arrives I will check to see what happens :) The first thing I gotta do is find a servo :)
Old 04-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #3011
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
The recourse is to install CNNA 2012.1 or CNNA 2012.4 on your desktop PC so that BaseCamp and MapSource can use them. Eventually Garmin will fix this Cartography Group issue.

Cheers,
Thanks again Dan..it is obvioulsy a cartography issue when I have had mapsource for years and then now a new Montana with BaseCamp. Went into the belly of the beast and got it resolved. Thanks for your guidance

Cheerios...
Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #3012
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,077
Quote:

Cheers,
The other recourse is to use GMapTool to set the flag which will tell BaseCamp to read the map on the gps. That's what I did for all the maps on my gps, including the OSM ones.

Here's how, described on the Garmin forums:

"Actually you can make ANY .img file work like this in basecamp if you know how to use gmaptool. There's a flag embedded in the file that tells Basecamp whether it can be opened. In gmaptool, use the File tab to add the .img file, and select "advanced options" on the Options tab. Now check "Set version in header" and enter "0" in the MS field on the Write tab. Click the "Write all" button. Voila, your map will now appear when the card or device containing the .img file is connected to your computer. THIS IS AN ADVANCED TECHNIQUE THAT SHOULD ONLY BE ATTEMPTED IF YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! Make sure you have a backup before attempting. Gmaptool is a very powerful program, but not very user-friendly. You can do a lot of damage if you don't understand it."

This is where to get GMapTool:

Download GMapTool from here: The Read Me file is here.

Once you've installed it, run the program, click the "Files" tab, locate a backup copy of your map file, then go for it. Once you've modified the file, make sure you place it on your uSD card and not the Montana itself, in case you've done something wrong and the file doesn't load properly.

And after you do nothing but set that flag, you'll see the map(s) on the gps in Basecamp.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #3013
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The other recourse is to use GMapTool to set the flag which will tell BaseCamp to read the map on the gps. That's what I did for all the maps on my gps, including the OSM ones.

Here's how, described on the Garmin forums:

"Actually you can make ANY .img file work like this in basecamp if you know how to use gmaptool. There's a flag embedded in the file that tells Basecamp whether it can be opened. In gmaptool, use the File tab to add the .img file, and select "advanced options" on the Options tab. Now check "Set version in header" and enter "0" in the MS field on the Write tab. Click the "Write all" button. Voila, your map will now appear when the card or device containing the .img file is connected to your computer. THIS IS AN ADVANCED TECHNIQUE THAT SHOULD ONLY BE ATTEMPTED IF YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! Make sure you have a backup before attempting. Gmaptool is a very powerful program, but not very user-friendly. You can do a lot of damage if you don't understand it."

This is where to get GMapTool:

Download GMapTool from here: The Read Me file is here.

Once you've installed it, run the program, click the "Files" tab, locate a backup copy of your map file, then go for it. Once you've modified the file, make sure you place it on your uSD card and not the Montana itself, in case you've done something wrong and the file doesn't load properly.

And after you do nothing but set that flag, you'll see the map(s) on the gps in Basecamp.
Aye Emmbeedee...thanks for the other heads up. you guys rock

Cheers....
Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #3014
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,637
this sounds a very complex peice of equipment....too complex for a complete gps newb?
I am reasonably computer literate .most of my riding is on marked roads but am contemplating a trip which may be on roads not marked on any maps(they arent shown as traced roads on google maps).Can I look at garmin maps for NZ if i dont have a gps?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #3015
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
this sounds a very complex peice of equipment....too complex for a complete gps newb?
I am reasonably computer literate .most of my riding is on marked roads but am contemplating a trip which may be on roads not marked on any maps(they arent shown as traced roads on google maps).Can I look at garmin maps for NZ if i dont have a gps?
City Navigator® Australia & New Zealand NT -

then click on coverage details, you can view them there.
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote