ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #3061
tubebender
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 90
Hi there.

First off, thanks to all of you who take the time to explain stuff. It’s a really long thread which has taken me about a month to get through, but there is such a wealth of information buried in here.

I’ve had my Montana 600 for a few weeks now. This is my 3rd Garmin GPS so I’m not new to how they do things (sill have my V and Quest).

Getting use to Basecamp wasn’t that hard after I upgraded to the latest version (the version that came on the disk had me going WTF!). I like the database format. Being able organize, drag and drop waypoints, etc, and moving what you want on and off the unit is slick.

Loaded the beta version 3.98 on the 600 last night. I wasn’t going to do it until I saw that you could get rid of the push pin when panning. I really hated that.

Found the Avoidance bug. Don’t do a ‘Reset to Defaults’ if you want to build a route within the unit! ----------- But wait, there’s more!

I found a workaround. Go to Setup >> Routing >> Avoidance Setup, uncheck the selection, then select it again (checkmark is visible). Do this for each avoidance. Go back to Routing menu, and when you return to Avoidance Setup, you’re preference is correct!

I verified this by building a route in the unit under both scenarios.

I’ll send this off to the Beta team.

CA
tubebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #3062
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Shut down

anybody else getting a shutdown when enabling or disabling different maps?

It's not consistent for me... there may be a pattern, enabling or disabling maps with smaller & more tiles like topos seem to trigger it more than CNNA or the basemap. Seems to choke if I enable / disable then scroll before the screen has fully drawn. My maps are stored on the µSD (except basemap).
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #3063
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
anybody else getting a shutdown when enabling or disabling different maps?

It's not consistent for me... there may be a pattern, enabling or disabling maps with smaller & more tiles like topos seem to trigger it more than CNNA or the basemap. My maps are stored on the µSD (except basemap).
Not here - I've been doing a lot of map changes, making sure each map is in its own file so as not to encounter issues based on mapsets containing more than one map product. Since a few of my IMG files were compiled for the 60/76 series, they contained multiples, and it was hard to tell when the file was on the gps.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #3064
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Is it just me?

Every time I disconnect my Montana from a computer, PC or Mac, it never shuts down. Just sits there with the word "Garmin" on the screen until I pull the battery.

This only started happening on version 3.98.

Time to email the Beta team.
It does that if you just pull the USB out.

However, if you click on "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" on the Status Bar (PC), then it just shuts down correctly when you unplug the USB.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 AM   #3065
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,589
Quote:
Is it just me?

Every time I disconnect my Montana from a computer, PC or Mac, it never shuts down. Just sits there with the word "Garmin" on the screen until I pull the battery.

This only started happening on version 3.98.

Time to email the Beta team.
how does one uninstall 3.98 beta?

I've tried reinstalling last official release with no luck
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #3066
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
It does that if you just pull the USB out.

However, if you click on "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" on the Status Bar (PC), then it just shuts down correctly when you unplug the USB.
Not in my case - it locks after disconnect even if I "Safely Eject" the device.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #3067
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 461
I updated to 3.98. I'll have to test the unplugging from the computer thing. However I did get another white screen. :mope: This was after using it in the auto mount a few times. But I just turned it off with the power button and turned it back on and it came up normally. May or may not be related to this release. No way of knowing.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #3068
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Sigh

Sent: 04/24/12 09:00 AM
To: montanabeta@garmin.com
Subject: bug report

Montana 600, firmware 3.98. Multiple maps loaded (CNNA, Various 24K U.S. topos, U.S. Topo 2008, assorted free topos of individual western states -- no maps are combined into a gmapsupp.img file, none are bigger than 1.6GB and none have excessive tiles). While enabling, disabling scrolling and zooming maps, loading time seems longer and responsiveness slower compared to v3.90. Intermittantly, usually when DISABLING a map in set-up, the unit stalls for about 4 seconds, then powers off. Requires power butten to restart. No obvious damage or other corruption. Seems like a processor is choking on data, becomes non-responsive, and then crashes the whole unit. This can happen when disabling topo maps or CNNA, but seems to happen more frequently with small-tile maps like topo 2008. It can happen with maps stored on the unit's memory, as well as with maps stored on the µSD card.

With the SAME maps loaded in the same places with v3.90, enabling, disabling and scrolling / zooming maps is faster, and NO power off crashes.

I'm happy to provide more details at your request.

I just want to thank your team for the responsiveness and willingness to work closely with end-users to get these units working up to their full potential.

regards,
d
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 04-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #3069
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post

To uninstall, use the Web Updater. It will say that you're on the latest version but as you can see on this screen shot, it will let you "reinstall" and that should give you version 3.90.

Also, if you can update or install more languages, and scrolling down, there's a time zone map update as well. These updates can be made independently of the software update.

Sometimes you'll find Basemap updates here too, so it's worth checking periodically.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #3070
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:

It's been awhile but if I remember correctly I just ran the update and I got a msg telling me the version on the unit was newer and asking if I wanted to proceed with the install of the older version. I told it yes and it loaded the version I wanted.

But......I was not trying to replace a beta version with a non-beta version. I was going from v3.90 back to the version that the unit came with out of the box (I think v3.14). So maybe there is something different when replacing a beta version.

Jon...
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #3071
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
It's been awhile but if I remember correctly I just ran the update and I got a msg telling me the version on the unit was newer and asking if I wanted to proceed with the install of the older version. I told it yes and it loaded the version I wanted.

But......I was not trying to replace a beta version with a non-beta version. I was going from v3.90 back to the version that the unit came with out of the box (I think v3.14). So maybe there is something different when replacing a beta version.

Jon...
with the web updater software .. there is no option
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #3072
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Not in my case - it locks after disconnect even if I "Safely Eject" the device.

Mine has no problems at all regardless of how I eject/yank the plug, etc.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #3073
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
with the web updater software .. there is no option
Oh that's right.....I'm tired from working all night and was not thinking.

I got the msg about installing an older version when the Montana rebooted but before it ran the firmware install.

I got the .gcd file from here....

Garmin Montana Software Versions
http://garminmontana.wikispaces.com/Software+Versions

So I did not use the web updater (see instructions at above link).

Jon...
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #3074
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

To: montanabeta@garmin.com
Subject: bug report

Montana 600, firmware 3.98. Multiple maps loaded ...

I just want to thank your team for the responsiveness and willingness to work closely with end-users to get these units working up to their full potential.
I'm very impressed with the Garmin Montana Beta team. They respond to every email I've sent and often with good news

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #3075
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Unmounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Mine has no problems at all regardless of how I eject/yank the plug, etc.
I've had luck on a mac doing the following:

Open Disk Utility. Select both (pressing the command key) "Garmin" and "No Name" VOLUMES (or whatever you have them named), not the SD Card / disk images, Click "UNmount"

Once the volumes have disappeared from the desktop, they won't reappear. Next, unplug the USB cable, and immediately press and hold the power button until the unit shuts off.

Recite one (1) Hail Mary.

Power on.

The Hail Mary may be optional, but I'm scared to try leaving it out.