ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #3061
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
So, you are correct that any change you make to a Profile will (should) stick. And there is currently no "locking, unlocking" feature for Profiles. Aside from backing up your profiles to your computer (recommended), I make a "masterProfile" of the two custom profiles I have on my Montana and I don't screw with them unless I make the overt decision to change a setting for the better. That way I don't need to connect to my computer to "recover" a Profile to it's "original condition". I often experiment with my daily profile and the easy way to return to my "original" settings is to just delete it and create a new one from the "masterProfile".

Cheers,
So you are saying that you create two identical profiles simultaneously to do several specific things. I.E, in my example, I would create TopoMaster, with all the original settings as defined, and Topo, which I would use as I played with various settings. Then, when I was happy with the changes, I would overwrite TopoMaster with the new Topo and rename it, or delete the Master and rename Topo to TopoMaster and clone it to Topo again to start the process all over?

Now we get into the problem of remembering just what all changes were incorporated into the daily use profile, and why you do or don't like it! It would be nice if one could parse the file. Oh well, after a few more months I'll get it.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #3062
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Map displays don't get much better than this: we still use Canada Enhanced Basemap, a mapset which Garmin gave up on years ago, but which can't be beat for backroad travelling since they show the secondary roads as far out as the 5 kilometer zoom level. ...
Does Canada Enhanced Basemap do Follow Roads routing?
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #3063
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
BaseCamp gurus.

Got 3.98 Montana update, got 3.3.2 Basecamp. Now the BaseCamp designed Icon for my desktop shortcut is not dragable to the screen. I simply get a Microsoft designed jargon! It's not in "search program and files" either.

Cheeers..
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #3064
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,431
running beta 3.98 ... audio is not working with gamin suction cup clamp w/speakers. OS is also not holding settings. for instance will move an option upwards... then will find option back to it's original position

anyone else having issues with beta?
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #3065
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
running beta 3.98 ... audio is not working with gamin suction cup clamp w/speakers. OS is also not holding settings. for instance will move an option upwards... then will find option back to it's original position

anyone else having issues with beta?
I have seen issues with the Car mount audio (but running last release version). I think if i start it out of the mount, clip it in, then start a route I only get beeps at turns.
Just removing it from the mount asd inserting it again and voice starts. I don't think it's loss of contact to mount (because charge works), I think it's an issue of GPS knowing it's in the car mount
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #3066
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Does Canada Enhanced Basemap do Follow Roads routing?
I doubt it - that's what City Navigator does best. A complete install of the CEB product is 28 megabytes.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #3067
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Is it just me?

Every time I disconnect my Montana from a computer, PC or Mac, it never shuts down. Just sits there with the word "Garmin" on the screen until I pull the battery.

This only started happening on version 3.98.

Time to email the Beta team.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #3068
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Is it just me?

Every time I disconnect my Montana from a computer, PC or Mac, it never shuts down. Just sits there with the word "Garmin" on the screen until I pull the battery.

It's not just you. I've tried nine ways to sunday unmounting, ejecting, hitting power before unplugging. It's always unplug USB, then battery out to restart.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #3069
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
It's not just you. I've tried nine ways to sunday unmounting, ejecting, hitting power before unplugging. It's always unplug USB, then battery out to restart.
I've reported it. It wouldn't surprise me to see an update to 3.99 this week.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #3070
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,092
Quote:
I have noticed the same thing...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #3071
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Is it just me?

Yup, me too. I think this beta version may have taken a step backwards. I'm having route/edit/recalculate problems too.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #3072
tubebender
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 84
Hi there.

First off, thanks to all of you who take the time to explain stuff. It’s a really long thread which has taken me about a month to get through, but there is such a wealth of information buried in here.

I’ve had my Montana 600 for a few weeks now. This is my 3rd Garmin GPS so I’m not new to how they do things (sill have my V and Quest).

Getting use to Basecamp wasn’t that hard after I upgraded to the latest version (the version that came on the disk had me going WTF!). I like the database format. Being able organize, drag and drop waypoints, etc, and moving what you want on and off the unit is slick.

Loaded the beta version 3.98 on the 600 last night. I wasn’t going to do it until I saw that you could get rid of the push pin when panning. I really hated that.

Found the Avoidance bug. Don’t do a ‘Reset to Defaults’ if you want to build a route within the unit! ----------- But wait, there’s more!

I found a workaround. Go to Setup >> Routing >> Avoidance Setup, uncheck the selection, then select it again (checkmark is visible). Do this for each avoidance. Go back to Routing menu, and when you return to Avoidance Setup, you’re preference is correct!

I verified this by building a route in the unit under both scenarios.

I’ll send this off to the Beta team.

CA
tubebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #3073
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Shut down

anybody else getting a shutdown when enabling or disabling different maps?

It's not consistent for me... there may be a pattern, enabling or disabling maps with smaller & more tiles like topos seem to trigger it more than CNNA or the basemap. Seems to choke if I enable / disable then scroll before the screen has fully drawn. My maps are stored on the µSD (except basemap).
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #3074
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
anybody else getting a shutdown when enabling or disabling different maps?

It's not consistent for me... there may be a pattern, enabling or disabling maps with smaller & more tiles like topos seem to trigger it more than CNNA or the basemap. My maps are stored on the µSD (except basemap).
Not here - I've been doing a lot of map changes, making sure each map is in its own file so as not to encounter issues based on mapsets containing more than one map product. Since a few of my IMG files were compiled for the 60/76 series, they contained multiples, and it was hard to tell when the file was on the gps.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #3075
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Is it just me?

It does that if you just pull the USB out.

However, if you click on "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" on the Status Bar (PC), then it just shuts down correctly when you unplug the USB.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote