ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #3151
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
This needs no explanation. 4.01 is out!

Only one fix but it's a biggie:

Changes made from version 3.99 to 4.01:

Fixed issues with map set selections across Profiles
Problems with this beta software may be reported to MontanaBeta@garmin.com

EDIT:

This fix does work! - it has cured the problem. My map selections are maintained when I switch profiles.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 05:58 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #3152
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Oddometer: 329
Basecamp >>>> Montana 600, 650, 650t

Is possible to send individual routes, tracks or waypoints from Basecamp to the unit or is sending a "list" of any of these the only option as the Basecamp menu would have you believe?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #3153
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
This needs no explanation. 4.01 is out!
I'm to lazy to go look, is it a beta or the real deal?

Jon...
Old 04-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #3154
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post

Jon...
I'm too lazy to answer that.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #3155
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMERPECKER View Post
Is possible to send individual routes, tracks or waypoints from Basecamp to the unit or is sending a "list" of any of these the only option as the Basecamp menu would have you believe?
Of course, you can have a list with a single waypoint, right? As a test I also did a right click and "copy" of a single waypoint from multiple waypoints in an existing list and "pasted" it into All Data on the device using Basecamp. It created a "waypoint.gpx" file in /Garmin/GPX containing that single waypoint and that waypoint shows up on the device in addition to the other waypoints I already had on the Montana. So, yes, it is possible.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 01:53 PM
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #3156
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMERPECKER View Post
If I might add to FatChance's reply. . .

When you send data from BaseCamp to the Montana internal storage, each item (waypoint, track, route) is saved in it's own GPX file labeled according to the type of data: e.g, waypoint.gpx, waypoint1.gpx, waypoint2.gpx, track.gpx, track1.gpx, route.gpx, route1.gpx, route2.gpx, etc....

This method of writing data from BaseCamp to the Montana is handy for multiple data transfers but it is also why some users are seeing duplicates of their Waypoints that are included in Routes. When you select both routes and waypoints from a list (or the whole list) and send it to the Montana internal storage the waypoint that is in a Route.gpx file is also in the Waypoint.gpx file that is created, hence duplicate Waypoints.

This was done so that you could make repeated transfers of data while the GPS was connected to BaseCamp.

But, this only applies to internal storage on the Montana. If you send data to the µSD card it goes into a file called userdata.gpx and there is only one of those created. So if you send a second data object or set of objects to the µSD card the userdata.gpx file is overwritten.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #3157
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post

Jon...
Quote:

Good one EB......you win.

Beta Software: Montana, Ver. 4.01, Beta as of Apr 27, 2012

Jon...
Old 04-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #3158
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
This method of writing data from BaseCamp to the Montana is handy for multiple data transfers but it is also why some users are seeing duplicates of their Waypoints that are included in Routes. When you select both routes and waypoints from a list (or the whole list) and send it to the Montana internal storage the waypoint that is in a Route.gpx file is also in the Waypoint.gpx file that is created, hence duplicate Waypoints.
Hopefully Garmin will find a way to filter duplicate waypoints (using existing waypoint lat/long?) in such situations in a future firmware release.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #3159
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Duplicate waypoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Hopefully Garmin will find a way to filter duplicate waypoints (using existing waypoint lat/long?) in such situations in a future firmware release.
This bug feature is one of the reasons I don't store waypoints / routes / tracks in basecamp or on the unit. I don't like buggy software to be responsible for my data and work. (I have the same issue with using Lightroom as a photo catalog FWIW). The Mac finder / file / folder system (and the Windows equivalent) is about as stable as it gets for keeping track of files and data. It's the same system everyone uses for MSOffice documents... you don't open MSWord and see a list of all your .doc files, right?...

I have a folder with subfolders on my hard drive that contains various "lists" of waypoints and/or routes and/or tracks... trips I'm working on, each exported as it's own .GPX file and named in a way that I know what it contains. These folders and files synchronize automatically from my home and work computers and my laptop. When I want to use basecamp, I open the program, delete anything that was left in "My Collection" and then import the appropriate .GPX file.

When I'm done working with the data, I export the list again as a .GPX file. If I'm really paranoid about losing data or am working on an extended project, I'll name the .GPX files "draft1" "draft2" etc, so I can always go back to a previous version if I've screwed things up. Once I've got the route how I like it, I trash the drafts. When I want to load stuff on my GPS unit, I first delete everything on there (tracks, waypoints, routes), and then send the list over.

This way I never get duplicate waypoints. Basecamp stays lean and fast, and doesn't get bogged down keeping track of a ton of extraneous data.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #3160
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
This bug feature is one of the reasons I don't store waypoints / routes / tracks in basecamp or on the unit. I don't like buggy software to be responsible for my data and work. (I have the same issue with using Lightroom as a photo catalog FWIW). The Mac finder / file / folder system (and the Windows equivalent) is about as stable as it gets for keeping track of files and data. It's the same system everyone uses for MSOffice documents... you don't open MSWord and see a list of all your .doc files, right?...

I have a folder with subfolders on my hard drive that contains various "lists" of waypoints and/or routes and/or tracks... trips I'm working on, each exported as it's own .GPX file and named in a way that I know what it contains. These folders and files synchronize automatically from my home and work computers and my laptop. When I want to use basecamp, I open the program, delete anything that was left in "My Collection" and then import the appropriate .GPX file.

When I'm done working with the data, I export the list again as a .GPX file. If I'm really paranoid about losing data or am working on an extended project, I'll name the .GPX files "draft1" "draft2" etc, so I can always go back to a previous version if I've screwed things up. Once I've got the route how I like it, I trash the drafts. When I want to load stuff on my GPS unit, I first delete everything on there (tracks, waypoints, routes), and then send the list over.

This way I never get duplicate waypoints. Basecamp stays lean and fast, and doesn't get bogged down keeping track of a ton of extraneous data.
An interesting reason for using a database as a document editor Doc. This is not a bug in BaseCamp or on the Montana. They just forgot that normal everyday folks (like us ) often use their Waypoints within their Routes. Knowing this is how the Montana and BC are working together, I always place my data on the µSD card as a userdata.gpx file. I hope that the Montana Team will figure out a work around for this without limiting the Montana's current capabilities.

Through all of the beta testing and moves from Windows to Mac, I have never lost a single data object. BC gives you the option to Backup/Restore your data and it always does an auto-backup of your data as you create/edit/delete. The good news is that you can use BaseCamp and the Montana how you want. Nothing in this world is "fail-safe" though so backup your HDD as well.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #3161
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I think I would prefer the data management handled by me and BaseCamp. Now that I know how the Montana reads the data on both internal and external storage, I just send my data (Waypoints & Routes) to the µSD card. Tracks I send to internal storage to take advantage of the way the Montana reads them into memory.

I'd actually like to see BaseCamp give us the option of sending data as parsed data type files (as it does currently to internal storage) or as most Garmin GPS require, a "userdata.gpx" file with everything in it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #3162
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I am looking at the best option concerning accessories to mount the Montana on my motorcycle as well as on my mountainbike.

I am looking at the Garmin Bike Mount partnumber 010-11654-07

I would be able to mount this on:
- the handle bar of my motorcycle
- a possible future dakar fairing with navigation tower
- the handle bar of my mountainbike

I like this option because it is a low cost but solid mount, very compact and I only need 1 that can be used for both the motorcycle and the mountainbike.

To be able to use external power and/or charge the battery of the Montana when used on the motorcycle I was thinking about:Vehicle power adaptor cable to USB partnumber 010-10851-11

However I've read about the problem that in some cases some GPS devices will draw it's power from this cable but not to charge the battery. Battery will remain uncharged if it is uncharged.
Does anybody know if this problem will pose with specifically the Montana in combination with this specific cable?
If so: any fixes or solutions or alternatives?
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #3163
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
These folders and files synchronize automatically from my home and work computers and my laptop.

When I want to use basecamp, I open the program, delete anything that was left in "My Collection" and then import the appropriate .GPX file. When I'm done working with the data, I export the list again as a .GPX file.
I assume you use some S/W program to do this? I have office table top, backup external hard drive, and lap top for field work. They are never synchronized!

Congratulations you have found a way to turn Basecmap into MapSource, I like it. The thought of one giant file with all data just won't go down with me.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #3164
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Question Re Audio Out On Rugged Mount

Does anyone know the "specs" on the audio out lead on the Garmin rugged mount? I'm assuming it's 3.5mm; is this right? I can't seem to find that spec anywhere. I like hearing audio prompts in congested areas, and since I ride an R12RT, I'm not going off-road. I use a Sena Bluetooth intercom with my passenger and I anticipate buying the soon-to-be-released Sena SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter. It has 3.5mm ports for things like a GPS with no Bluetooth. Does the number of poles matter (obviously I'd need the appropriate cable to connect the SM10 to the Montana's audio out.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #3165
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote: