ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 247 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #3151
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I assume you use some S/W program to do this? I have office table top, backup external hard drive, and lap top for field work. They are never synchronized!

Congratulations you have found a way to turn Basecmap into MapSource, I like it. The thought of one giant file with all data just won't go down with me.
I use ChronoSync for the Mac's. Used it for years. Utterly bulletproof. As for back-up redundancy. My data is automatically mirrored in the following places:

Home: iMac, MacBook Pro X 2, Mac mini server, external hard drive, and once weekly (manually initiated*) to a separate external HD.

*it's important not to have everything sync automatically so if you trash the wrong file it won't get trashed everywhere.

then to my iPod Classic -- carried to work where it sync's with:

iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini server, smart-phone SD (manually initiated), external hard drive (manually initiated), 2nd external hard drive connected to a PogoPlug so I have my own cloud.

jpeg processed photos are also on SmugMug.

Yep, that's my data, documents, RAW photos, presentations, scanned receipts, waypoints, tracks, etc. available at any time on any of 12 separate hard drives in two physical locations.

Can you tell I lost ALL my files once?

Never again.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #3152
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schannulleke View Post
I am looking at the best option concerning accessories to mount the Montana on my motorcycle as well as on my mountainbike.

I am looking at the Garmin Bike Mount partnumber 010-11654-07

I would be able to mount this on:
- the handle bar of my motorcycle
- a possible future dakar fairing with navigation tower
- the handle bar of my mountainbike

I like this option because it is a low cost but solid mount, very compact and I only need 1 that can be used for both the motorcycle and the mountainbike.

To be able to use external power and/or charge the battery of the Montana when used on the motorcycle I was thinking about:Vehicle power adaptor cable to USB partnumber 010-10851-11

However I've read about the problem that in some cases some GPS devices will draw it's power from this cable but not to charge the battery. Battery will remain uncharged if it is uncharged.
Does anybody know if this problem will pose with specifically the Montana in combination with this specific cable?
If so: any fixes or solutions or alternatives?
The cradle will work on your bicycle, but really, why not just buy the Rugged Mount for the motorcycle? It's only about $35, and it negates any issue you're likely to have by using USB as a power source. The real problem with using usb is not whether it charges or not, it's how soon you'll wear out the usb connector.

And it will happen, sooner or later. Just ask anyone who's used that method to power an Oregon for any length of time.

I went through 3 X 550 Oregons when the usb connectors wore out or the gps died while plugged into usb in the rain.

Do yourself a favour - buy the right mounts.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #3153
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The cradle will work on your bicycle, but really, why not just buy the Rugged Mount for the motorcycle? It's only about $35, and it negates any issue you're likely to have by using USB as a power source. The real problem with using usb is not whether it charges or not, it's how soon you'll wear out the usb connector.

And it will happen, sooner or later. Just ask anyone who's used that method to power an Oregon for any length of time.

I went through 3 X 550 Oregons when the usb connectors wore out or the gps died while plugged into usb in the rain.

What Emmbeedee said or buy the bicycle mount for the mountain bike and carry AAs for spare power if you need it. Put the Rugged Mount on the big bike hard wired for charging on a ram mount. You are going to want it higher on the bike than the bicycle mount will provide. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #3154
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Ok guys, thanks for the heads up about the long term wear of the USB connector. It looks like that is a no go.

What I don't like about the rugged mount is it needs to be attached via the ram mount kit:

Too much pieces and no added functionality for me, I don't like it.

Here is where the Montana should be mounted. Where the black KTM cushion in the middle is:

So I would like to have it mounted as close to the handle bar as possible.
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #3155
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Ok this might be a solution:

Mountainbike: use the bike mount as planned. No external power.
Motorcycle:
- Disassemble the bike mount into [1] and [2]. Is this possible?
- Attach [3] onto [1] and this on the handle bar = motorcycle mount.

-> Compact solid mount with external power (no USB). Is this viable or am I missing something?
Do the electrical contacts on the rugged mount work good in wet weather conditions in comparison to the USB connector?
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #3156
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Ok this might be a solution:

Mountainbike: use the bike mount as planned. No external power.
Motorcycle:
- Disassemble the bike mount into [1] and [2]. Is this possible?
- Attach [3] onto [1] and this on the handle bar = motorcycle mount.

-> Compact solid mount with external power (no USB). Is this viable or am I missing something?
Do the electrical contacts on the rugged mount work good in wet weather conditions in comparison to the USB connector?
I have no idea if the bicycle mount comes apart as you want - I've never seen one of those mounts before.

You don't have to buy that RAM kit to mount the Rugged Mount - there are many examples in this thread of people who've put the mount right onto their dash in various creative ways.

And to answer your second question - the surface contacts on the Rugged Mount work perfectly in rain, unlike the usb one which killed my Oregon and Nuvi 780.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #3157
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Does anyone know the "specs" on the audio out lead on the Garmin rugged mount? I'm assuming it's 3.5mm; is this right?
Yes.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #3158
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
I have this mount. http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...model=bm%2d042 It will do what you want to do with the Rugged Mount if you are not cheap! Mounted where you want it on my bike was too low for me to see withou tilting my head down when seated. The chin bar on the helment is in the way. I ended up putting the mount on the upper left of the handlebar. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #3159
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Here is where the Montana should be mounted. Where the black KTM cushion in the middle is:

So I would like to have it mounted as close to the handle bar as possible.
You could use one of these as the base, on one of your handlebar mount bolts. (Click on the images to see the parts on the GPSCity web site)

Essentially building something like this, but with the AMPS top piece.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #3160
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
waypoints

I'm having trouble getting my waypoints off the device and into mapsource. I connect the device, and check the boxes to upload waypoints and tracks. Mapsource finds the tracks but not the waypoints. The waypoints are visible on the device in the waypoint manager. I must be missing something? Any suggestions?

Thanks, matt
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #3161
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorr View Post
I'm having trouble getting my waypoints off the device and into mapsource. I connect the device, and check the boxes to upload waypoints and tracks. Mapsource finds the tracks but not the waypoints. The waypoints are visible on the device in the waypoint manager. I must be missing something? Any suggestions?

Thanks, matt
Mapsource? What is "Mapsource"?

:

The right tool to use with a Montana is Basecamp.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #3162
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
The right tool to use with a Montana is Basecamp.
Thanks MBD, I'll reacquaint myself with basecamp.

Xplorr screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 07:26 PM
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #3163
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Does anyone know the "specs" on the audio out lead on the Garmin rugged mount? I'm assuming it's 3.5mm; is this right? I can't seem to find that spec anywhere. I like hearing audio prompts in congested areas, and since I ride an R12RT, I'm not going off-road. I use a Sena Bluetooth intercom with my passenger and I anticipate buying the soon-to-be-released Sena SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter. It has 3.5mm ports for things like a GPS with no Bluetooth. Does the number of poles matter (obviously I'd need the appropriate cable to connect the SM10 to the Montana's audio out.

I do not know, but I run a stereo cable from my montana to my Sena SR10, but the SR10 uses HF profile, so it only sends MONO signals to the SMH10. I hear the SM10 is going to use the A2DP profile so it will send Stereo signals to the SMH10.

The jack is the same as any MP3 player.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #3164
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:

Didn't realize that was a known issue. I bought a "authentic" Garmin mini USB power cable for my 62s in Thailand for $55 and it worked for a week or so. I did hit rain a couple times on the trip.
Not only did the cable stop working, but the mini USB port in the 62s stopped working and so I can't upload/download info from the computer etc.
However, being a dummy and not realizing that was the problem I plugged a nuvi 500 into the same cable and it broke the Nuvi's mini USB port as well.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #3165
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Didn't realize that was a known issue. I bought a "authentic" Garmin mini USB power cable for my 62s in Thailand for $55 and it worked for a week or so. I did hit rain a couple times on the trip.
Not only did the cable stop working, but the mini USB port in the 62s stopped working and so I can't upload/download info from the computer etc.
However, being a dummy and not realizing that was the problem I plugged a nuvi 500 into the same cable and it broke the Nuvi's mini USB port as well.
That's exactly what happened to me with my 550 Oregon and Nuvi 780. Moisture got into some part of the cable or the connection and it blew both gps units.