ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #3166
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,165
GPS Topo Download

I stumbled across a great topo map download today (thanks to another inmate for turning me onto GPS File Depot)
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/432/
This is a route-able topo map that shows many fire roads that aren't shown on Garmin 24K topo. Works well on my Montana 650T. I downloaded it directly into the unit.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #3167
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That's exactly what happened to me with my 550 Oregon and Nuvi 780. Moisture got into some part of the cable or the connection and it blew both gps units.
I guess I was lucky with my Creative Zen mp3 player using a Powerlet USB connector on my GS for the last several years. In my case, it was the $50 USB power cable that gave up the ghost and not the mp3 player...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #3168
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
. The real problem with using usb is not whether it charges or not, it's how soon you'll wear out the usb connector.

And it will happen, sooner or later. Just ask anyone who's used that method to power an Oregon for any length of time.

Do yourself a favour - buy the right mounts.
I second "buy the correct mount". Plus in order to use the USB connector, you have to remove the rubber waterproof plug cover. This opens a large hole for water to get into your very expensive GPS.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #3169
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,801
another vote for buying correct mount.

$58 for entire kit with Garmin AMPS rugged mount and enough RAM hardware to mount on most any handlebar. GPS city has it
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #3170
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
I have the Dakota 10 as of right now, great little unit for basic nav duties. However.....Mbd put me on to the Montana. The Dakota will now live on my atv mountain bike and snowmobile. The Montana will live on my new to me strom, and my jeep adventure rig.
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #3171
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
The Dakota will now live on my atv mountain bike and snowmobile. The Montana will live on my new to me strom, and my jeep adventure rig.
I've heard that kind of reasoning before - the reality is you'll sell the Dakota before long to buy the right mounts to put the Montana on all those other vehicles too.

Once you get used to that beautiful map display, and the extra features, there's no going back... Portrait/Landscape mode, awesome shortcuts, lockable powered mount, load as many maps as you want each in separate files.

What more could you ask for?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #3172
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I guess I was lucky with my Creative Zen mp3 player using a Powerlet USB connector on my GS for the last several years. In my case, it was the $50 USB power cable that gave up the ghost and not the mp3 player...
This is only the case for inexpensive devices you don't care too much about, I've found. MP3 players are a dime a dozen.

Some would argue that the $50 cable is worth more than the Zen.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #3173
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 778
I field tested the 4.01 beta over the weekend on a 2 day trip and it generally performed well. I did loose the connection to the SD card one time, but on cold reboot the connection was reestablished. This may have also been caused by the rock garden trail conditions .

Slighty off topic, but on the topic of a companion mp3 to the montana, I've been using the Scosche remote and transmitter plugin for my ipod, works great. I use a piece of velcro on the back of the remote and stick to the top clamp. Easy, peezzy. Battery on the mp3 player (ipod) is quickly recharged via powerlet usb adapter when needed.

dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #3174
TowPro
Getting there

I take a GPX file, open it in BaseCamp, convert it to a route, send it to montana, and only 1/3 of the original Track file shows up as a route (The whole route is only 125 miles long). It this because all the GPX points are turned into route points, and I am exceeding the max limit for the montana?

Guess I need to start over, then tell it to filter to like 450 (I forget what the limit is)

This sucks. I think I need to ALSO bring my PN40 since it don't seem to have these built in limits that might screw me up on my ride(s).

also I have 2 tracks, one is an "optional loop" that fits in along the middle of the other track. I was trying to edit the original track, cut and paste the optional loop into the original track, then clean up the short connector that was used to bypass this optional loop. Then the short cut I removed can be the optional route.
But every time I do this the optional loop is north bound while the rest of the loop is south bound. Even if I invert the loop then add it back in, it's still always backwards to the main loop :(
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #3175
TowPro
Getting there

I think I got it. In base camp I had a folder with the 2 tracks I am working with. With these 2 tracks shown on the basemap screen, I made a new route, clicking on the track as I went so I ended up with a new route with enough points that garmin don't try to reroute it.

One problem: There is one section of the track that does not follow any roads in City Nav. I assume there is roads there because I am pretty sure the person who created the track for me recorded it while riding. (but he might have used google earth)

I then sent that new route to the Montana along with the original track.

Now I need to prove this (unless someone hear guarantees it will work) but here is my plan.

At start of my trip:
1-Display the original track on the map.
2-start the route and follow it.
3- record a new track while doing both 1 and 2.
If the track shown in step 1 does really follow roads not shown in the route (step 2) I will follow the track.
But my end result needs to be a true track to capture "as rode" results.

Will it work?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #3176
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Rugged Mount

Quote:
You could use one of these as the base, on one of your handlebar mount bolts. (Click on the images to see the parts on the GPSCity web site)
Wow, I wish I'd seen that before I bought the short clamp Rugged Mount. However, that combo works really well for me 'cause I have bifocals.

I can bring the Montana up just close enough to see it really well through the near vision section.

I've had no problems since I re-soldered the SAE leads correctly....
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #3177
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I think I got it. In base camp I had a folder with the 2 tracks I am working with. With these 2 tracks shown on the basemap screen, I made a new route, clicking on the track as I went so I ended up with a new route with enough points that garmin don't try to reroute it.

One problem: There is one section of the track that does not follow any roads in City Nav. I assume there is roads there because I am pretty sure the person who created the track for me recorded it while riding. (but he might have used google earth)

I then sent that new route to the Montana along with the original track.

Now I need to prove this (unless someone hear guarantees it will work) but here is my plan.

At start of my trip:
1-Display the original track on the map.
2-start the route and follow it.
3- record a new track while doing both 1 and 2.
If the track shown in step 1 does really follow roads not shown in the route (step 2) I will follow the track.
But my end result needs to be a true track to capture "as rode" results.

Will it work?
Sure. I almost always run with Tracks (colored Green) "under" my Routes (never trust a route - even with the latest software update ). If the Route deviates for any reason, the green track pop's out easy to see.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #3178
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Sure. I almost always run with Tracks (colored Green) "under" my Routes (never trust a route - even with the latest software update ). If the Route deviates for any reason, the green track pop's out easy to see.

Cheers,
I do the exact same, but with a long route I'd make a map overlay of the tracks. It can be unfiltered, thus highly detailed, and has no trackpoint limit and takes almost no memory.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #3179
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I can confirm that in 4.01

importing routes with auto-recalculation OFF works perfectly, provided you have the same maps loaded and enabled on the GPS with which you made the route in BaseCamp.

In fact, this was the only way I could get the Montana to route precisely as I had my routes set up in BaseCamp. I struggled with various Activities and Avoidance settings on the Montana, and there always would be a few little sections that would deviate.

My BaseCamp routing selections are Motorcycle Activity (though it could probably be almost anything since BaseCamp has the full list of Avoidances available except cablecar and climbing trail), Minimize distance, and Avoid nothing. On the 60/76's, I'd save the route as Direct, and then let it recalculate as "Follow Road, Shortest Distance" using "Car/Motorcycle" and Avoiding nothing, and they always calculate the same route as on BaseCamp*.

I really wish Garmin would eliminate these preset Activities. The selections aren't consistent across Basecamp and the various units. If they want to keep them, at least offer a "Multi" or "Custom" Activity which would route on anything routeable, have Prompted Minimization options, and have access to ALL the avoidance options. It would also be of tremendous benefit if the Help file contained info as to how each Activity routed.

*Once there was a really tight switchback that the 76 refused to route across unless "Avoid U-turns" was selected.

Also, if you import the route pre-routed, and then intentionally recalculate it using a different activity, when you stop navigation, and then re-open the route, it opens as the original un-recalculated route again. Whew.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #3180
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
One more advantage to the RAM mount system is that it is easy to change the angle of the screen quickly. Ram now makes a cradle for the Montana that works very well for less than $10, great for battery use. Just please don't use the USB for power, as noted above, it will fail.

I just did a 3 day dual-sport ride on the roughest FS roads/trails I could find in the Ozark NF and the cradle worked great on my KDX220 (no DC). The Montana runs all day on 3 AA Ni-mh rechargeable. The free Arkansas topo map / MyTrails overlay maps from gpsfiledepot make a great combo for exploring or following tracks.

JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schannulleke View Post
Ok guys, thanks for the heads up about the long term wear of the USB connector. It looks like that is a no go.

What I don't like about the rugged mount is it needs to be attached via the ram mount kit:

Too much pieces and no added functionality for me, I don't like it.

Here is where the Montana should be mounted. Where the black KTM cushion in the middle is:

So I would like to have it mounted as close to the handle bar as possible.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote