ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 248 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #3181
vladg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Montana reliability

Hi all.

I have a Oregon-450 for more then a year. Overall happy with it.

I want to replace it with Montana-600 but reliability of it is my main concern. I have read a lot of bad reviews about screen issues on first Montana. Plus I wanna buy it in US, and my friend will bring it for me.
I'm living in Ukraine and if I will have an issue with screen and will need to return it for screen to be fixed, it will cost me shipping back and forth.

Did Garmin fix screen problems? Maybe new screen installed on older Montana different?

Can I use internal Litium battery with AA batteries at the same time? I use GPS with 80-100% backlight on all the time.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #3182
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
Did Garmin fix screen problems? Maybe new screen installed on older Montana different?

Can I use internal Litium battery with AA batteries at the same time? I use GPS with 80-100% backlight on all the time.

Thanks.
Garmin did stop production for a short time to fix the screen problems. I haven't heard of anyone having problems since then, unless it was for an early production unit. My 650 is an early unit and is still working perfectly.

As seen here, you can't use the rechargeable and AAs at the same time.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #3183
vladg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Garmin did stop production for a short time to fix the screen problems. I haven't heard of anyone having problems since then, unless it was for an early production unit. My 650 is an early unit and is still working perfectly.
So if Garmin stop producing to solve screen issue is new units have different S/N.
I hope that its really small percentage of people having problems Montana.

Thanks for reply.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #3184
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 762
route image overlay on montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I do the exact same, but with a long route I'd make a map overlay of the tracks. It can be unfiltered, thus highly detailed, and has no trackpoint limit and takes almost no memory.
You rock, Dr Rock! Thanks for sharing this tip. Over a cup of coffee I was able to produce a single small image overlay file (~300K) of my up coming summer trip, which includes 188 POIs and 40 tracks (53K points). Added boot wait time on the Montana? almost zero...

Looks like our route paths may be crossing over near the ID T2 with your M9 trip.

dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #3185
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
You rock, Dr Rock! Thanks for sharing this tip. Over a cup of coffee I was able to produce a single small image overlay file (~300K) of my up coming summer trip, which includes 188 POIs and 40 tracks (53K points). Added boot wait time on the Montana? almost zero...

Looks like our route paths may be crossing over near the ID T2 with your M9 trip.

The biggest problem is figuring out what color to use. I think all colors are used in the maps to differentiate road size.
I was following a track somewhere in lower Delaware. the track was the same color as a major 8 lane highway, The track ran on an access road along the side of this major highway, but I ended up on the highway by accident :(
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #3186
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,837
Quick maps question please. -

New 600 owner and I also have CNNA 2012. Do you recommend load the entire dvd to the unit or does that bog things down? Or should I just load the areas I'm likely to ride (eastern USA and provinces).

Maybe load the eastern USA sections - save under file east.img, then load western USA save under west.img and enable west.img if I'm headed that way. I also have some free topo's to load under their own names.

What do most folks do? All ready have to reload CNNA since I over wrote it when I loaded a topo last night. Remembered about the renaming img file thing once I did it.

Great info here. Wading though it all.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #3187
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
The biggest problem is figuring out what color to use. I think all colors are used in the maps to differentiate road size.
I was following a track somewhere in lower Delaware. the track was the same color as a major 8 lane highway, The track ran on an access road along the side of this major highway, but I ended up on the highway by accident :(
Yeah, I ran into that concern as well... My solution is to use the "thin.typ" option on the IMGfromGPX conversion. That way the line is smaller than all but the smallest trails, and when zoomed in, you can see the road underneath extend beyond the edges of the line above. I color the line I'm going to follow green, and the track I'm making red, that way if I turn off routing (which I leave as magenta -- and is always really too thick), even if I'm stopped and the compass has spun the screen around, I can still see where I've been (red) vs. where I want to go (green).
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #3188
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,208
Shortest distance or fastest time?

For years when creating routes for my 276C and now Montana, I have always used fastest time instead of shortest distance. I did this to avoid occasional cutting through residential or industrial areas to save a couple hundred feet, for example. When creating a route, using the fastest time seems to me to be the most accurate for my routing intentions.

What would your reasons be to use shortest distance instead of fastest time?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #3189
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post

New 600 owner and I also have CNNA 2012. Do you recommend load the entire dvd to the unit or does that bog things down? Or should I just load the areas I'm likely to ride (eastern USA and provinces).

Maybe load the eastern USA sections - save under file east.img, then load western USA save under west.img and enable west.img if I'm headed that way. I also have some free topo's to load under their own names.

What do most folks do? All ready have to reload CNNA since I over wrote it when I loaded a topo last night. Remembered about the renaming img file thing once I did it.

Go ahead and load all your maps but make sure each ends up in its own distinctly named mapset file. The only time a large quantity of maps will slow the gps is on initial startup after loading the maps, or if you reset the gps or change maps. Once they have been indexed by the gps, they don't slow the startup at all.

I have many maps, including the full OSM US, OSM Canada, CN-NA, Topo Canada V4, and Canada Enhanced Basemaps, and the gps is never slow.

And now that I'm using version 4.01 of the unit software, I created 4 different profiles with major maps enabled in each of those profiles, with a bunch of shortcuts on the desktop to each of those profiles. I can change everything about the gps very quickly by using the shortcut to the other profiles.

It's awesome!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #3190
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post

I struggled with this, and here's what I came up with:

(Always available) On the Montana internal memory -- the complete CNNA + unlock code files.

(Trip specific) On the removable SD card: A second complete copy of CNNA + unlock code files, (just in case the ones on the internal memory get corrupted), + custom POI folder/files + my map overlay + free topo maps and smaller sections of Garmin's 24K and 2008 topo maps that are specific for the trip I'm taking in the area where I'm traveling (these are where the tile numbers pile up) + other .pdf files for camera, intercom and equipment manuals, DRz service and parts manual, etc, which can be read when the card is loaded into a smartphone.

Map segments on internal memory are read first, and duplicate maps on removable memory seem to be ignored.

I use 8GB cards. I started with a 32GB card*, but you hit the map tile limit WAY before the card is full. I have a second 8GB SD card taped inside the battery bay as a backup with the same files on it.

By the way, what I've learned is that if you disable the basemap, things get slowed WAY down scrolling and zooming around -- and may lead to a crash. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to matter where the maps are located (internal or removable memory), but the more maps you have enabled at once, it does seem to slow down scroll and zoom responsiveness a little bit. I try only to have enabled the minimum of what I need.

*I originally thought that you could have as many maps as you wanted on your SD card and they would all appear in the list, but you couldn't have more than ~4000 map segments ENABLED at any one time. That's not the way it works. The limit is actually how many map segments can be LOADED onto the unit at once during startup. So if you have 10,000 map segments on your internal memory and SD card, only the first ~4000 will be loaded when you turn the unit on -- the remaining maps won't even appear in the list.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 09:00 AM
Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #3191
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
For years when creating routes for my 276C and now Montana, I have always used fastest time instead of shortest distance. I did this to avoid occasional cutting through residential or industrial areas to save a couple hundred feet, for example. When creating a route, using the fastest time seems to me to be the most accurate for my routing intentions.

What would your reasons be to use shortest distance instead of fastest time?
I found that on longer routes, if the 60/76's did a recalculation using fastest time, It would end up putting me on the interstate no matter what. If I lay down a via point on the little roads I want, and route by shortest distance the routing was much more consistent.

The difference may be a consequence of the areas where we're doing our routing -- Out west the interstates are far and few between, but if I'm trying to create a nice backroad ride through NJ/PA/NY, there are interstates and major arterial roads all over the place, and the 60/76's will continually try to put me on the bigger roads if I direct it to prioritize faster time.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #3192
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
but the more maps you have enabled at once, it does seem to slow down scroll and zoom responsiveness a little bit. I try only to have enabled the minimum of what I need.
I think it's a given that you only enable the maps you need. That's what makes shortcuts so valuable - if you have them set up properly, you can flip over to a different mapset very quickly and see what an area looks like from each mapset faster than it would take you to enable and disable maps from the map setup screen.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #3193
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Yeah!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 05/01/12 09:20 AM
To: J. David R
Subject: RE: bug report -- One more observation

Hi David, I’m happy to inform you that we believe we’ve found the problem specific to your use case and have corrected it. The fix will be in our next release, and we would appreciate hearing from you if you are still experiencing shutdowns when reviewing the map.
Thank you for your willingness to help us improve the Garmin Montana. Montana Team

Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #3194
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,208
Quote:
Out west the interstates are far and few between,
The nearest interstate to Durango is about 190-200 miles and that is close enough for me...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #3195
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
I want to replace it with Montana-600 but reliability of it is my main concern. I have read a lot of bad reviews about screen issues on first Montana. Plus I wanna buy it in US, and my friend will bring it for me.
I'm living in Ukraine and if I will have an issue with screen and will need to return it for screen to be fixed, it will cost me shipping back and forth.

I have had the Montana literaly since the day they were available. It has been mounted on my dirt bike and I have taken it though some of the harshest single track crap that the west coast has to offer. Other than the Lithium battery issue, the unit has been fine. Its beat up now, but still works great.

As for the battery, I tried wrapping the lithium battery in tape but still had problems when bashing through the forest. So I went back to AA batteries and not had a problem. Since I use a powered rugged cradle the batteries do not run down.

If you are not going to use yours on nasty trails, perhaps the tape-around-the-battery fix might work for you.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote