ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #3211
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I do the exact same, but with a long route I'd make a map overlay of the tracks. It can be unfiltered, thus highly detailed, and has no trackpoint limit and takes almost no memory.
I use to make "track overlay" maps for some rides but with the latest series of changes to the Montana, you can now show all 200 Tracks in the Track Manager on the map at the same time. The only limiting factor is still that no single Track can be more than 10K points or that Track gets truncated.

Soooo, no more overlays for me. I do hope that we'll get the ability to set "Show on Map" in BaseCamp and have that setting transfer to the Montana. It takes quite a while to set 200 tracks to "Show on Map" on the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 11:07 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #3212
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,908
Here are examples of the screens I have with shortcuts enabled to the other profiles:

This is my Auto Navigation mode, with CNNA enabled, Auto Zoom on, etc. This mode also has a Geocaching shortcut which switches the gps to Topo maps, and pedestrian options.

This is my Topo mode setup.

Canada Enhanced Basemaps, with Auto Zoom off, at a 3k zoom level where I can still see the back roads on the screen.

Shortcuts are very powerful, but easy to create.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #3213
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Shortcuts are very powerful, but easy to create.
You are obviously not OCD enough since you do not put all the common icons in the same order/position on each of the optional pages...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #3214
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
You are obviously not OCD enough since you do not put all the common icons in the same order/position on each of the optional pages...
I'm working on it... those are not actually the most recent iterations.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #3215
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Here are examples of the screens I have with shortcuts enabled to the other profiles:
When I try to create a map change shortcut (ie, "Topo Mode") and assign Setup-->Map Information (enable, disable, etc), the map state doesn't change while editing the shortcut. Tried setting various profiles in the shortcut with same result. Appears to be a bug in v4.01. Can you confirm? I'm assuming you created your shortcuts prior to 4.01.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #3216
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I use to make "track overlay" maps for some rides but with the latest series of changes to the Montana, you can now show all 200 Tracks in the Track Manager on the map at the same time. The only limiting factor is still that no single Track can be more than 10K points or that Track gets truncated.
Cheers,
I'm still holding out hope for the "Show All" or "Remove All" Tracks On Map feature. As you indicated, singularly painful with lots of tracks. I've also seen where the Montana can loose the show state of the tracks, then forced to to re-show the tracks again.

I need to play around a bit with img overlay in the field, but at a minimum I see this as a great backup or secondary option for long trips.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #3217
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Quick question on basecamp guys... on mapsource there is a dropdown menu that lets you chose detail level. I like it for printing papermaps - I can chose how much detail I want...

I can't find it anywhere on basecamp?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #3218
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
I've heard that kind of reasoning before - the reality is you'll sell the Dakota before long to buy the right mounts to put the Montana on all those other vehicles too.

Once you get used to that beautiful map display, and the extra features, there's no going back... Portrait/Landscape mode, awesome shortcuts, lockable powered mount, load as many maps as you want each in separate files.

What more could you ask for?
For it to be 500 dollars less.....ha ha
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #3219
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
When I try to create a map change shortcut (ie, "Topo Mode") and assign Setup-->Map Information (enable, disable, etc), the map state doesn't change while editing the shortcut. Tried setting various profiles in the shortcut with same result. Appears to be a bug in v4.01. Can you confirm? I'm assuming you created your shortcuts prior to 4.01.
My shortcuts are to different profiles, and in each profile the map is set up appropriately. Is that what you're trying to do? I did create the profiles before 4.01, but it's only after 4.01 that the map choices in each profile are preserved when you change profiles.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #3220
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Quick question on basecamp guys... on mapsource there is a dropdown menu that lets you chose detail level. I like it for printing papermaps - I can chose how much detail I want...

I can't find it anywhere on basecamp?
It took me awhile to find it as well. Go to View -> Toolbars -> Detail Level

Mine disappears now and again and I can't figure out the reason.

Eric

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. - Unknown
"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #3221
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
For it to be 500 dollars less.....ha ha
You tend to forget how much you paid quite quickly once you have the gps in your hands. And if you want to wait, it'll eventually be cheaper, as with all technology.

I found this receipt the other day... it's from the purchase of a 60 and 76CSx.

Sorta puts the Montana price in perspective - the Montana is no more expensive than the 60/76 were when they were in their prime, but the Montana is much more powerful. So to me, it's a much better deal.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #3222
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Oddometer: 330
Mapinstall

Just got my new 650 in the mail and installed CNNA in the internal memory with Mapinstall: no problems. I would like to load other maps & data onto SD card so I put one in: no problem.

Before I screw things up I would like to ask a question. When I try to install a third party topo map using Mapinstall, I don't get the option of installing to internal memory or an external card, I have one option Garmin 650 unit #xxxxx + external disk.

My question is how do you guys that use the SD card to segregate your data do it? Just cut and paste from your computer hard drive to the SD card? If so is there a specific file structure that needs to be used or just copy away and the unit will find what it needs.

Do I create separate files for tracks, routes and waypoints and cut and paste to those rather than use Basecamp to load them?

I am using a Mac if that matters.

Thanks for your help. The user's guide leaves much to the imagination.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #3223
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMERPECKER View Post
Just got my new 650 in the mail and installed CNNA in the internal memory with Mapinstall: no problems. I would like to load other maps & data onto SD card so I put one in: no problem.

Before I screw things up I would like to ask a question. When I try to install a third party topo map using Mapinstall, I don't get the option of installing to internal memory or an external card, I have one option Garmin 650 unit #xxxxx + external disk.

My question is how do you guys that use the SD card to segregate your data do it? Just cut and paste from your computer hard drive to the SD card? If so is there a specific file structure that needs to be used or just copy away and the unit will find what it needs.

Do I create separate files for tracks, routes and waypoints and cut and paste to those rather than use Basecamp to load them?

When you start up MapInstall you can choose where to send maps to, as seen here in a screen shot of my Montana and SD card.

Pffft. An update offered itself, I installed it and now I have the same question as you.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 05:42 AM
Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #3224
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMERPECKER View Post

To be clear, where you put your maps and your data (waypoints, tracks, routes, etc.) are up to you. If you read back a couple of pages I outlined how the Montana and BaseCamp work when it comes to where you put your data and the advantages of one location over the other. (I'm not advocating that I like this process - just that this is how it currently works).

As for MapInstall, it just handles installing maps for you. The first screen you see once you are past the "device found" screen is the one that Emmbeedee has posted above. The v4 MapInstall apparently looks on your computer for all of the maps you have installed in BaseCamp and it lists them on that page IF they will fit on the combined storage of your Montana. When you go to the next screen you are presented with the list of Maps that were detected ON your Montana at the top of the list and all the remaining maps below. You can choose any or all that will fit - but not partial maps. If you want to send pieces of one or multiple maps press the advanced button.

Now the confusion lies in the fact that MapInstall never has asked exactly WHERE you want to install your map/s.

Here is what I found. If you have previously installed maps on your µSD card, MapInstall will default to that location. I have not found a way to tell MapInstall that I want to put one map on INTERNAL and one map on µSD in the same install. Nor have I found a way to make MapInstall put a map on internal when all of my other maps are on µSD.

As for updating a map with MapInstall, it appears that MapInstall will do that correctly.

I think what we need is to tell the MapInstall developer that we need just a bit more information about what MapInstall intends to do with any selected action and the ability to direct MapInstall to put maps where we want; regardless of what currently exists on the device.

Thoughts?

P.S, you might take a look at this User Guide - not updated to the latest version yet.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 07:08 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #3225
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:

This is my Auto Navigation mode, with CNNA enabled, Auto Zoom on, etc. This mode also has a Geocaching shortcut which switches the gps to Topo maps, and pedestrian options.

How did you get it set up with 9 icons on the screen? Mine only seems to allow 4.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote