ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 169 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #3286
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Once the released v4.x (v4.0xbeta now) is available, avocadofarmer and the rest of us can create "mixed-routes" that contain both Along-road Routing and Direct Routing - but you'll need to learn the "secrete" workflow in BaseCamp.

Cheers,

NO SECRETS HERE!!!!!!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #3287
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Once the released v4.x (v4.0xbeta now) is available, avocadofarmer and the rest of us can create "mixed-routes" that contain both Along-road Routing and Direct Routing - but you'll need to learn the "secret" workflow in BaseCamp.

Since the Montana will NOT recalculate the mixed-route you have the best of both worlds - just remember to set Recalculation=OFF or Prompted before you want to navigate that route.

Cheers,
I think this is first for me - quoting my one post

Mix-Route workflow in Mac-BaseCamp & Win-BC....
You must use a non-routable map to route Direct or BC will change your whole route to Direct or Automotive. Example: Start your routing on-road and when you need to go Direct, just switch maps to a non-routable one; or visa versa.

In Mac-BC if you want to do a Mixed-Route using only a routable map here is the workflow...(I couldn't find a way to do this in Win-BC).
Start your Route in the Activity Mode you need to (Automotive or Direct). When you come to the point where you want to transition on or off-road, just open the route properties window and select the new Activity Mode. This will (currently) recalculate the Route. Preform an Undo. This will put your Route back the way it was but will not change the Activity mode and you will now be in the new Activity mode.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #3288
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Tricky !!
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #3289
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Worked well for me too however I didn't have the road hazards avoidance turned on so it didn't warn me about this

I couldn't find the 'Avoid muddy bermed curve' icon today.

4.03 continues to work flawlessly on my 650.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #3290
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post

I Know this is off topic, but I hope that's not a golf tee in your tire. if it is, that tire needs tougher cords.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #3291
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Ha hahahah Oops

Umongst all the trials and tribulations and now to 4.03 ,,,, it is good to see a moment with a little humour.

Things must be a little more settled.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #3292
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
question?

Hey all,

This weekend I rode through some rain (and snow), so I put a spare baggie over the unit. It didn't travel well (the baggie), and I'm wondering if I even need to worry about it? I don't have even the smallest fairing (DR650) so the unit is fully exposed to the elements. Anybody have any experience with the Montana in the rugged mount getting REALLY wet while powered up?

Thanks, matt
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #3293
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorr View Post
Hey all,

This weekend I rode through some rain (and snow), so I put a spare baggie over the unit. It didn't travel well (the baggie), and I'm wondering if I even need to worry about it? I don't have even the smallest fairing (DR650) so the unit is fully exposed to the elements. Anybody have any experience with the Montana in the rugged mount getting REALLY wet while powered up?

Thanks, matt

No personal experience yet, but it does occur to me that in a real downpour the contacts could short out. This would be most likely stopped or at low speed, at speed I would think the wind would keep the water from pooling as much. It could blow the fuse (a good thing), or it could blow the unit (very bad).

I wonder if anyone has done the extreme test and plunked the unit and hot mount into a pail of water? Obviously the unmounted unit will survive this test, but what if it's powered in the mount?
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #3294
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
No personal experience yet, but it does occur to me that in a real downpour the contacts could short out. This would be most likely stopped or at low speed, at speed I would think the wind would keep the water from pooling as much. It could blow the fuse (a good thing), or it could blow the unit (very bad).

I wonder if anyone has done the extreme test and plunked the unit and hot mount into a pail of water? Obviously the unmounted unit will survive this test, but what if it's powered in the mount?

the Montana is IPX7
Found on internet: http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/031142.php

Most handheld GPS units are rated to the IPX7 waterproofing standard; a pretty good standard that keeps the unit sound in the face of whatever a typical hike bike, run or other outing can throw at it. Some handhelds are rated to the IPX6 standard; which is a lower standard that doesn't offer the immersion capability that the IPX7 does...... Immersion capability? Yes, see below:

IPX6 Waterproof Standard
Heavy splashing and rain - This test sends water at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters. Must not fail or show water seepage.
IPX-7 Waterproof Standard Puddle, stream, beer cooler and splash rated - Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

I have had my GPS units out in the driving rain for hours and have dropped them in muddy puddles without issue on the IPX7 standard. I like it and it works for almost anything you can throw at it on a typical day.... except dropping it overboard on a boat..... and luckily that hasn't happened.

End of internet cut and paste.

Now all of this is based on the rubber flap that covers the USB connector is sealed properly.
(with no USB plugged in to connector).

I don't think the low voltage found on the pins has enough power to jump across the pins through water.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #3295
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,073
Why doesn't the Montana show the speed limit all the time with the Nuvi dashboard (as long as you have a route-able mapset)? It would seem in order to do routes and choose between fastest time or shortest distance or to calculate how long to get to your destination that any route-able road would have to have a speed limit associated with it. Yet the speed limit only appears for more major highways. Any idea why that would be?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #3296
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Why doesn't the Montana show the speed limit all the time with the Nuvi dashboard (as long as you have a route-able mapset)? It would seem in order to do routes and choose between fastest time or shortest distance or to calculate how long to get to your destination that any route-able road would have to have a speed limit associated with it. Yet the speed limit only appears for more major highways. Any idea why that would be?
The Speed Limit info on the Montana (nuvi Dashboard) is dependent upon the data in your map. If there is no Speed Limit data for a particular road or section of a road (highway), you won't get the info on the map page.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #3297
FatChance
Road Captain

Quote:
The Speed Limit info on the Montana (nuvi Dashboard) is dependent upon the data in your map. If there is no Speed Limit data for a particular road or section of a road (highway), you won't get the info on the map page.
I use CNNA and it will route me on roads where the speed limit does not appear on the screen and can still estimate how long it will take me to get to the destination. How can it make that time estimation without speed limit data? Does it just assume a minimum like 25mph or 35mph for smaller secondary or tertiary roads?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #3298
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post

I don't think you need to be concerned about rain causing problems when the Montana is in the AMPS Rugged Mount. I have ridden with the zumo 550, zumo 660 and now the Montana (which has the best designed mount so far) for many hours in very hard rain with no problems in over 50K miles collectively. My last "wet ride" saw the mount and Montana fully exposed - my HP2 doesn't have a big fairing - for over 4 hours in very heavy rain.

Keep in mind that the Montana/Mount assembly is not rated IPX7. And neither is your motorcycle.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #3299
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I use CNNA and it will route me on roads where the speed limit does not appear on the screen and can still estimate how long it will take me to get to the destination. How can it make that time estimation without speed limit data? Does it just assume a minimum like 25mph or 35mph for smaller secondary or tertiary roads?
The Routing Algorithm in the Montana is using pre defined Averages - based upon Road Type in the map data. Interstates=65mph, Major Highways=60mph, etc.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 12:56 PM Reason: To be more complete...
Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #3300
FatChance
Road Captain

Quote:
The Routing Algorithm in the Montana is using pre defined Averages - based upon Road Type in the map data. Interstates=65mph, Major Highways=60mph, etc.
Interesting. So the speed limit data is not used at all for routing or does it use speed limit data where available and the pre-defined averages where it does not?

Thanks for your insight into how this works!