ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 247 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #3286
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Keep in mind that the Montana/Mount assembly is not rated IPX7. And neither is your motorcycle.

Cheers,
this is a good point
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #3287
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Beating a dead horse

So I finally got up the courage to update to 4.03 beta from 3.90, 'cause I'm going camping in Utah in few days and have made all these nice perfect autoroutes in Basecamp (In automotive activity) and don't want them messed with.

How does the Montana know when NOT to recalculate an imported route? Is there a toggle hidden on some menu page?

Another question for Basecamp gurus: How do you append waypoints to an existing file in the SD card? When I add a couple of waypoints from some new list, all the old ones disappear.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #3288
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
So I finally got up the courage to update to 4.03 beta from 3.90, 'cause I'm going camping in Utah in few days and have made all these nice perfect autoroutes in Basecamp (In automotive activity) and don't want them messed with.

How does the Montana know when NOT to recalculate an imported route? Is there a toggle hidden on some menu page?
If you download your auto-routed route to the Montana from BaseCamp it knows 1) that it was not created in the Montana and 2) that the route has been auto-routed vs. direct route, therefore it will not recalculate. No special switch is needed.

You will want to make sure your Montana has the Recalculate option set to No or Prompt to stop it from recalculating when you are off route.

Moto-Treks

moto-treks screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 06:24 PM
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #3289
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,998
Quote:
Keep in mind that the Montana/Mount assembly is not rated IPX7. And neither is your motorcycle.

Cheers,
I got the IPX7 for the montana 600 right off the specs sheet at garmin. Maybe the mount is not IPX7?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #3290
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I got the IPX7 for the montana 600 right off the specs sheet at garmin. Maybe the mount is not IPX7?
Yes the Montana is IPX7. But, the "assembly" of the two is not rated so I don't think "submersion to 1 meter for 30 minutes" while powered would be a good idea. But, as I said, my experience has been that there really doesn't need to be concern with using the Montana in the powered Rugged Mount in the rain.

Or, look at it this way, if the rider and the bike can withstand the rain, so can the Montana & Rugged Mount.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #3291
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Interesting. So the speed limit data is not used at all for routing or does it use speed limit data where available and the pre-defined averages where it does not?

Thanks for your insight into how this works!
In Garmin's past, Routing algorithms did not use the Posted Speed Limit data besides show it on the Map. It would seem to me that from a programing perspective, looking at the map Speed Limit data to generate those calculations would be "costly" and as we know not all maps, nor all roads in a single map, have that data.

To bad the Montana folks don't answer some of these questions.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #3292
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post

Another question for Basecamp gurus: How do you append waypoints to an existing file in the SD card? When I add a couple of waypoints from some new list, all the old ones disappear.
Ooops, forgot about that bug in BaseCamp. You will have to duplicate your µSD Card waypoints in a temp list in BC and then add your new ones to it before sending that temp list back to the µSD card. Or, just send them to internal memory where you can make delta-additions all day long without overwriting - well up to 4000 waypoints anyway.

Hopefully BC will fix this in the next release.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 05:40 PM
Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #3293
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
If you download your auto-routed route to the Montana from BaseCamp it knows 1) that it was not created in the Montana and 2) that it's been auto-routed vs. direct route, therefore it will not recalculate. No special switch is needed.

HOW SIMPLE!!!!! Amazing!!! Hooray!!!
Let's see, it took the engineers just about a whole year to get this.

I just didn't have time to test before my trip, thanks much.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #3294
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Or, just send them to internal memory where you can make delta-additions all day long without overwriting - well up to 4000 waypoints anyway.

Cheers,

I think I can manage to do that!

Thanks DRTBYK, you really could make a million dollars by doing a book on the Montana and Basecamp! (That is, if you didn't have a real life to get in the way of the 6,000 + hours it would take.....)
Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #3295
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
GPX direct routes, can be calculated on the unit, and can be edited on the unit.
OK, finally got round to testing this and it works. I guess I can live with the added step of changing the route to direct routing in BaseCamp after building it as autoroute.

To me, if you don't want a route to be edited or recalculated in the Montanan then just change it to a track

Moto-Treks
Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #3296
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,998
Quote:

To me, if you don't want a route to be edited or recalculated in the Montanan then just change it to a track
I tried following tracks this weekend.
First I had no voice because the cable end got crushed by the stearing stop when the GPS was not on the bike.
then I tried to load my route and it come up with an error about to many points on a road route (can't remember the actual error).

so I loaded the track, the map had a button GO so I clicked it.

It would not show me automotive turn direction, but it was telling me distance to next, and when I got to a turn the map would auto zoom in :). It was actually pretty easy. Only one time did it trick me when I came to a fork in the road. who ever made the track might have been using an older GPS that was not as accurate, I had to go around 100' down the wrong road to see it was not the correct way.

After I got to the end point I needed to route back home. First I changed one of the tags on the screen from bearing to Time to destination. I told the GPS to take me to waypoint RV. GPS said 3:32 arrival time, it was 2:15 This was all 35 MPH back roads, which I ran at around 65mph , without any stops, and I was still 8minutes late getting there. Who knows where Garmin got it's speed aveages from
Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #3297
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Ok so I know it has been covered.,, but the thread is so huge it is impossible to find simple answers... I bought a 600, and the CD version of City Navigator.. registered the 600, inserted the CNNA into my computer,, Garmin tells me a newer version is available so I download it to the 600.. but I can not find it for the life of me.. It is not in the available maps screen, and I cant find it when looking at the Garmin via "my computer" I have read I need to rename the file? but where the hell did Garmin put it? sorry I know this has been explained before.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #3298
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Ok so I know it has been covered.,, but the thread is so huge it is impossible to find simple answers... I bought a 600, and the CD version of City Navigator.. registered the 600, inserted the CNNA into my computer,, Garmin tells me a newer version is available so I download it to the 600.. but I can not find it for the life of me.. It is not in the available maps screen, and I cant find it when looking at the Garmin via "my computer" I have read I need to rename the file? but where the hell did Garmin put it? sorry I know this has been explained before.
I see you said you downloaded to your 600 but did you also download it to your computer? IIRC there is a checkbox or something you need to set to get a copy on your computer.

Moto-Treks
Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #3299
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
I see you said you downloaded to your 600 but did you also download it to your computer? IIRC there is a checkbox or something you need to set to get a copy on your computer.
no i dont believe I did...what would the file extension be?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #3300
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
no i dont believe I did...what would the file extension be?
on a Mac it would be something like "City Navigator North America NT 2012.40.gmap". A PC will have a folder most likely named "City Navigator ...." (sorry I don't have CNNA installed on a PC) with a lot of .img files.

If you plug your Garmin into your computer you will be able to look at the Montana's memory with Explorer (it will mount up like a USB drive.) You should see several large files in the Garmin directory like gmapbmap.img or gmapsupp.img. Not sure how the Garmin map updated loaded City Navigator but my guess is it would be gmapsupp.img.

Moto-Treks