ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #3331
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
They are up in the Andes in South America...
Yikes, that's close to 21,000 feet.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #3332
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,253
add me to the montana 600 club. 4.03 already installed. pushing out a canadian pre-made osm map for an initial test before loading up the usa version (the us map is 3x the size of canada!). figure i'd waste 1/3 of the time by trying canada first to see it's look/feel.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #3333
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Boy, did the Garmin Montana Team miss this boat. I guess if you can get PR free, all's good.

Cheers,
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #3334
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Well, while neat that hey are using a Montana, it is scary that they need two and a 60csx as a backup.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #3335
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Well, while neat that hey are using a Montana, it is scary that they need two and a 60csx as a backup.

Actually they each had a Montana.

I'm speculating that they were for verification of the Altitude Record's. No forests up there so I don't suppose they needed the GPS's to find there way.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #3336
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
That's a bummer - sorry about that!

I was curious about your "cross ship charge." Both of my gps units are down at the moment and my brain doesn't remember how to find anything on it's own! Is that a normal thing? I.e. do they let you pay that deposit and then ship your unit right away, refunding the difference when your broken unit shows up?
Yup, exactly.

I had to ask—they certainly didn't volunteer—but for that additional charge, they were able to ship the replacement unit before receiving the busted one. I'm hoping that results in a much better turnaround than the 10-14 business days cited in the initial email. I don't really need the Montana, but it's certainly very handy to have.

Is there a way to set the map to be the startup page for a given profile? I seem to recall there was some way to configure that, and in the event that I manage to maim another one (which I certainly hope not to), I'd like to be able to at least continue navigating whatever route I'm on (or at least see where I am).
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #3337
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
"Well, while neat that hey are using a Montana, it is scary that they need two and a 60csx as a backup"

If I had the balls an resources to do what they did I would take three of everything! Many carry a few tools or a spare tire when traveling off the beaten path? Hell. I take tools and a compressor to Starbucks!! GH

GH41 screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 05:58 PM
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #3338
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 650
Screen protector

I put one of the Garmin screen protectors on and couldn't get the #2 tab removed. It finally tore off which looks crappy. I left slightly butchered protector on for now.
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #3339
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Cool to find our pics here. In case you guys didn't know, all 3 members of the Husaberg Adventure Team are inmates (Beta, Colebatch and myself).

Quote:

Actually they each had a Montana.

I'm speculating that they were for verification of the Altitude Record's. No forests up there so I don't suppose they needed the GPS's to find there way.

Cheers,
That's exactly it. We each had a Montana, and in addition my bike had my old 60CSX as backup. Two of those GPSs had also been sent to Garmin before and after the trip to verify that they had not been tampered with, and that the recorded GPS track data was genuine.

And yeah, it did suck that Garmin did not really want to support us in any way. It took us weeks and contacting dozens of people until somebody in the London office even agreed to do the verification for us. They are just lucky that the Montana is so good that we wanted to have them anyway.

Btw navigation was not that easy, especially in the snow on the glaciers we had to hand pick our route first and then follow it very precisely. At this altitude you don't want to fall into a crevasse or get stuck in a stream of melted ice water....

Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #3340
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,044
Just read the report (AFTER asking what was at 6K meter ASL ). I was wondering if that was you Lukas! Cool - sounds like an amazing trip!!

So accurate does Garmin think the elevation is? My info may be old but I was thinking elevation could easily be off by as much as 10X what the horizontal accuracy was? I.e. if the unit shows 3m accuracy you should be within 30m accuracy vertically.
I just spontaneously hiked a 2,580 peak in Thailand while riding by. I had my 62s which put a certain false peak at 2,180 on the way up and 2,297 on the way down. I can't remember if it was set to GPS altitude or using the barometer... (or even if I switched it in the midle!)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #3341
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Cool to find our pics here. In case you guys didn't know, all 3 members of the Husaberg Adventure Team are inmates (Beta, Colebatch and myself).
That is GPS elevation and not Pressure elevation correct? I was fooling with it on an airplane. Pressure elevation would only go up to 10K' because of the cabin pressure
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #3342
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
After several ride with no problems, last night while heading home, the Montana had a mind of it's own. Losing maps, data not updating, rebooting, white screen It just wouldn't stop or should I say, it just wound't stay up and running. Sure hope the Garmin get this worked out before the real riding season starts

Now, it was the first time I rode at night. Maybe it was just past the Montana's bedtime

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #3343
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

That's exactly it. We each had a Montana, and in addition my bike had my old 60CSX as backup. Two of those GPSs had also been sent to Garmin before and after the trip to verify that they had not been tampered with, and that the recorded GPS track data was genuine.

And yeah, it did suck that Garmin did not really want to support us in any way. It took us weeks and contacting dozens of people until somebody in the London office even agreed to do the verification for us. They are just lucky that the Montana is so good that we wanted to have them anyway.

Btw navigation was not that easy, especially in the snow on the glaciers we had to hand pick our route first and then follow it very precisely. At this altitude you don't want to fall into a crevasse or get stuck in a stream of melted ice water....
Please forgive my light heartiness regarding your navigation on the mountain.

I've climbed a few mountains and crossed enough glaciers in my day to know it's nothing to be too casual about in the doing.

I posted your pic's here since the Montana's were topical but I've been following your efforts and you folks (including Sherri-Jo) deserve all the respect one can muster. What's next?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 08:45 AM Reason: Thanks Mike :-)
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #3344
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
After several ride with no problems, last night while heading home, the Montana had a mind of it's own. Losing maps, data not updating, rebooting, white screen It just wouldn't stop or should I say, it just wound't stay up and running. Sure hope the Garmin get this worked out before the real riding season starts

Now, it was the first time I rode at night. Maybe it was just past the Montana's bedtime
Are you using the v4.03beta? I've had a bit of unstable operation with this beta. Very few issues that were repeatable - just "glitchy".

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #3345
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,253
for those that want, i've been converting OSM maps to be garmin montana compatible (using mkgmap). so far i have maps done and they seem to work - they are routable but they aren't searchable. i think i've corrected that and will know tomorrow (when i load a fresh batch). the POIs from OSM are not anywhere near as comprehensive as the garmin maps (no surprise).

i unfortunately don't have anywhere to host these files but if someone would like them and can provide a way to move them i'd be happy to share what i have.

so far i have:

new york
new jersey
connecticut
pennsylvania
west virginia
massachusetts
new hampshire
vermont
maine
ontario
quebec

this is still very much a work in progress for me and i'm still playing/learning. use at your own risk yadda yadda