ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #3331
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Are you using the v4.03beta? I've had a bit of unstable operation with this beta. Very few issues that were repeatable - just "glitchy".

Cheers,
Yes, 4.03. And I agree, it was very hard to find a pattern to the problems.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #3332
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
for those that want, i've been converting OSM maps to be garmin montana compatible (using mkgmap). so far i have maps done and they seem to work - they are routable but they aren't searchable. i think i've corrected that and will know tomorrow (when i load a fresh batch). the POIs from OSM are not anywhere near as comprehensive as the garmin maps (no surprise).

i unfortunately don't have anywhere to host these files but if someone would like them and can provide a way to move them i'd be happy to share what i have.

so far i have:

new york
new jersey
connecticut
pennsylvania
west virginia
massachusetts
new hampshire
vermont
maine
ontario
quebec

this is still very much a work in progress for me and i'm still playing/learning. use at your own risk yadda yadda
What is the difference from what you can create/download here http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Moto-Treks
Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #3333
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,470
theoretically nothing (except my source data is based on newer OSM data). i wanted to learn how to do it myself
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #3334
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
theoretically nothing (except my source data is based on newer OSM data). i wanted to learn how to do it myself
The only issue with "newer" data is that it may actually be less accurate than data pulled from last month, or prior, due to the data cleansing for the new licensing. Lot's of data was removed in the US.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #3335
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
According to the Montana Team. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
. . .
Is there a way to set the map to be the startup page for a given profile? I seem to recall there was some way to configure that, and in the event that I manage to maim another one (which I certainly hope not to), I'd like to be able to at least continue navigating whatever route I'm on (or at least see where I am).
There is currently no way to setup the Montana so that the unit boots to the Map Page.

My personal interpretation of the word "currently" is that if we ask we might get that feature.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 09:16 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #3336
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I have a question for the gurus, or anyone that knows the answer.

I am riding, usually following a route so I see a magneta line, usually with the Nuvi dash.

I am also wanting to do Geocaching. Is there some way of riding along with the above AND have all the loaded Geocaches show up, so as I ride past I can see one over there about ten km or do and can choose to visit it or not?

At the moment I have to try and work out which cache is in front of me and still not lose my route which makes for many profile changes while riding. If I stopped every time I would get nowhere!

Cheers
TS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #3337
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
I have a question for the gurus, or anyone that knows the answer.

I am riding, usually following a route so I see a magneta line, usually with the Nuvi dash.

I am also wanting to do Geocaching. Is there some way of riding along with the above AND have all the loaded Geocaches show up, so as I ride past I can see one over there about ten km or do and can choose to visit it or not?

At the moment I have to try and work out which cache is in front of me and still not lose my route which makes for many profile changes while riding. If I stopped every time I would get nowhere!
If you're using the Nuvi Dashboard you can't see the Geocaches near you. But if you switch to the Geocaching Dashboard, you can. The way I choose to do this is to have a shortcut to a clone of the Automotive Profile, with Geocaching attributes applied to it, so that the right Dashboard shows up anytime I want it. Then, when I'm finished caching, I can use the Automotive Shortcut to take me back to the Automotive Profile with Nuvi Dashboard, etc.

This is my Montana in Automotive Profile:

The "Geocaching Mode" shortcut does not take me to the Montana's Geocaching app; instead it switches to the Geocaching Profile, and opens up the app from there.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 09:46 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #3338
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
After several ride with no problems, last night while heading home, the Montana had a mind of it's own. Losing maps, data not updating, rebooting, white screen It just wouldn't stop or should I say, it just wound't stay up and running. Sure hope the Garmin get this worked out before the real riding season starts
Did you have anything holding your battery in place, like a foam earplug or tape around it? Sounds to me like the kind of problems you might see with the battery bouncing around.

Speaking of batteries, I taped an extra uSD card to mine, in case the uSD card in the gps is ever corrupted for whatever reason.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 11:39 AM
Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #3339
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Did you have anything holding your battery in place, like a foam earplug or tape around it? Sounds to me like the kind of problems you might see with the battery bouncing around.
No I don't have any foam on the battery. I had thought if that was the issue I would have seen the problem when I was riding on dirt roads earlier in the day. This occurred at night on a Interstate (flat & smooth). Maybe I should try the foam trick after a test ride today to validate I still have the problem.

Moto-Treks
Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #3340
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
No I don't have any foam on the battery. I had thought if that was the issue I would have seen the problem when I was riding on dirt roads earlier in the day. This occurred at night on a Interstate (flat & smooth). Maybe I should try the foam trick after a test ride today to validate I still have the problem.
Taking any bets on this?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #3341
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Taking any bets on this?
Sure - one foam (slightly used) earplug

Moto-Treks
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #3342
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Sure - one foam (slightly used) earplug
Yuck. You're going to need it, though.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #3343
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Yes, 4.03. And I agree, it was very hard to find a pattern to the problems.
I'm using 4.03 too, and so far the only problem I've encountered was that the profiles did not transfer properly...once I reset them to my original setups, they seemed to stick. Not overwriting with the good ones, but setup each one again wherever I found a setting that did not save correctly. (Maps, some fields in compass)

No white screens, no shutdowns,(didn't mess with Altimeter yet) I'm keeping all fingers and toes crossed 'cause I'm going to Utah for 10 days. (76C for backup)

I'm beginning to like Autorouting! It got me from the hotel to several shopping centers, restaurants, and offices and back without a single wierdness on yesterday's trip to Boise.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #3344
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 671
I loaded an older version of Metro Guide in my new Montana 600. It still gives me the dreaded route calculation error, maps do not have routable roads in this area. Will City Navigator solve this problem?
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #3345
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver View Post
I loaded an older version of Metro Guide in my new Montana 600. It still gives me the dreaded route calculation error, maps do not have routable roads in this area. Will City Navigator solve this problem?
City Nav will solve the problem, but so will the OSM maps mentioned earlier.