ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #3391
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I just noticed the cover end of my security screwdriver is missing. Wonder if Garmin sells replacements?

When I got it the end used to stick on, so I put case (bullet) sizing wax on it. Guess it did too good a job, now the cover is missing
Same here. Getting a second one from gpscity, but probably get some clear plastic tubing for the missing end.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #3392
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Same here. Getting a second one from gpscity, but probably get some clear plastic tubing for the missing end.
So Mark, you haven't said what you think of the Montana. You must have played with it for a while now. How does it compare to your old Oregon?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #3393
Nata Harli
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,547
Got it

Got my Montana in the mail today 2 days after ordering it from GPSCity! Great service as always from them.

Now I've got until Tuesday morning to figure it out & get it mounted before I head to Kentucky to do the "Bourbon Trail" and visit some horse farms.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #3394
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Can the Montana be turned off or run of the GPS battery only when it's in the RAM cradle? An odd question to ask, but I was looking for such a feature today when my batter went dead. I bum started the bike a few times and with the Montana in the cradle the bike wouldn't start or would quickly die. Took the Montana out and was able to bum start my bike.

I'm charging up my battery right now and hopefully trouble shoot my bike later today. I'm curious to see how much more of a draw there is on the batter with the Montana in the cradle.

My battery was pretty much dead and wasn't getting any better on the ride home. Whenever I came to a stop and the bike idled my bike's LCD display would either get all messed up or go blank. Battery read 10.12 volts before I put the charger on it.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #3395
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

An idea:

There are lots of complaints in this thread that people feel they have to read the thread from one end to the other to get the benefit of all the various opinions/tips/FAqs, etc. While I was riding today I realised that we need a new thread which is nothing but the facts, so I created this thread in GPS 101: Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs

If this goes according to plan, it should be a fairly short thread, with the current wisdom collected there. I hope to get one or two of us as admins in that thread to stop people from posting irrelevant stuff, so I'll be asking for that.

Hey Dan, do you want to be co-admin, if the idea gets off the ground?

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 04:44 PM
Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #3396
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
Can the Montana be turned off or run of the GPS battery only when it's in the RAM cradle? An odd question to ask, but I was looking for such a feature today when my batter went dead.
There's no reason to buy a RAM cradle for the Montana - it's a waste of money, IMHO.

If you have your Rugged Mount wiring connected with a SAE plug, you could just unplug that to run off the battery while your bike's battery is too low.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 06:31 PM Reason: Changed "mount" to "cradle"
Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #3397
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
An idea:

There are lots of complaints in this thread that people feel they have to read the thread from one end to the other to get the benefit of all the various opinions/tips/FAqs, etc. While I was riding today I realised that we need a new thread which is nothing but the facts, so I created this thread in GPS 101: Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs

If this goes according to plan, it should be a fairly short thread, with the current wisdom collected there. I hope to get one or two of us as admins in that thread to stop people from posting irrelevant stuff, so I'll be asking for that.

Hey Dan, do you want to be co-admin, if the idea gets off the ground?
+1 for this , i,e, no IMHO's but just fact as short and direct (discreetly) as possible
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #3398
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
There's no reason to buy a RAM mount for the Montana - it's a waste of money, IMHO.

If you have your Rugged Mount wiring connected with a SAE plug, you could just unplug that to run off the battery while your bike's battery is too low.
gotta disagree .. really like my RAM mount. rugged mount wiring is hooked to a switched power source. penalty for not turning Montana off could be a dead battery. too easy finding a wire that's only hot when ignition is on.

excellent idea on starting a condensed Montana thread. this thread is way too massive to read if one is just getting started with Montana.

_cy_ screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 06:28 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #3399
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
+1 for this , i,e, no IMHO's but just fact as short and direct (discreetly) as possible
I agree - if I have my way, all posts made by anyone other than admins will either be deleted immediately if they're not relevant to the concept, or aggregated into posts which will each be edited as one topic, or if the posts stand on their own, then possibly be incorporated as footnotes.

I could be wrong on this, but it would be great if the thread became THE place to go for Montana info, like a Wiki.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #3400
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
gotta disagree .. really like my RAM mount. rugged mount wiring is hooked to a switched power source. penalty for not turning Montana off could be a dead battery. too easy finding a wire that's only hot when ignition is on.
Sorry, should have specified "There's no reason to buy a RAM cradle".

The mount, yes, it's great.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #3401
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
There's no reason to buy a RAM cradle for the Montana - it's a waste of money, IMHO.

Sorry, I misspoke. I have the rugged mount, not the ram mount. I've wired it directly too the battery. I could put a plug in there, although I don't plan on this being a recurring problem.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #3402
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
An idea:

Good idea - it could start off being an index into this thread

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #3403
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
I could be wrong on this, but it would be great if the thread became THE place to go for Montana info, like a Wiki.
Isn't this one already started up.
http://garminmontana.wikispaces.com/

WOuld be good for THIS to be the place to go…then I don't have to get off ADV.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #3404
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
Isn't this one already started up.
http://garminmontana.wikispaces.com/

WOuld be good for THIS to be the place to go…then I don't have to get off ADV.
I knew there was already a Wiki but this Wiki will have our slant to it - more specifically an ADV version of the Montana Wiki.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #3405
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Thread

This has been a real good thread I think I have read most all of it, now. The more I find out about the Montana the more I lean that way. First it was going to be a Zumo, for the GSA cause mostly going to be roads. The Montana would be nice though for off road, and tracks, on a dual sport. The mounts are the most reasonable part of the whole GPS item to buy.. Not sure I could figure out how to use a lot of the things a Montana will do, but maybe I will surprise myself.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote