ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 149 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #3391
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
Hey fellas,

I am about to pull the trigger on a new GPS, and was looking for feedback from you guys who have used the Montana now for a bit. I've read parts of this thread, from the begining and skipped through a lot of the middle and caught up at the end. I see the new update has some issues, but that doesn't really bother me as I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

Overall, now that you have some experience with the unit would you still recommend it? Any issues with mounting I should be aware of? Anything else to add as sort of a summary?

Thanks guys!

ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #3392
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadySmurf View Post
Overall, now that you have some experience with the unit would you still recommend it? Any issues with mounting I should be aware of? Anything else to add as sort of a summary?
There just is not a better gps for motorcycle use right now. Sure, if you need Bluetooth or media players then get yourself a Zumo, but if all you want is the best gps, then get the Montana.

As far as mounting goes, get the Garmin Rugged Mount, and a lanyard, and when you use the mount, lock the gps into it so you know for sure it's not going to fall out. There has been one report of the gps coming out of the mount but odds are it wasn't locked in.

The "Rugged Mount" is only about $35 extra, but make sure you also order the AMPS mount, assuming you already have a RAM stalk on your bars.

Click the image to see the mount on the GPSCity site.

Don't get the 650T model - the Topo 100k maps are fairly useless, I've heard. The 650 is the same, minus the Topo maps.

You decide if you want the 650 with the camera, or the 600 without. Aside from that, they are identical. I think, for an extra $40 or so, the camera is worth having.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #3393
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There just is not a better gps for motorcycle use right now. Sure, if you need Bluetooth or media players then get yourself a Zumo, but if all you want is the best gps, then get the Montana.

As far as mounting goes, get the Garmin Rugged Mount, and a lanyard, and when you use the mount, lock the gps into it so you know for sure it's not going to fall out. There has been one report of the gps coming out of the mount but odds are it wasn't locked in.
Ok, good summary, thanks for that.

The bluetooth was kind of a con for me, so I was kind of looking at the zumo 66X. The reported zooming issues on those units to see smaller side roads, and the unit not tracking correctly when on those roads is turning me to the Montana. And I can just bluetooth to my phone for music anyway.

I haven't come across anyone talking about these problems with the Montana, just the reported software power problems as a main issue right now.

Anyone have any issues with forest/county/dirt roads? Such as having to zoom really far in to see them, or it not tracking correctly?
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #3394
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Bringing a backup
No backup necessary. My unit works very well and I can avoid the two issues in the Beta I have reported to Garmin.

Besides, if for some reason the unit failed, I was navigating my way through jungles long before GPS's were invented. Not planning on visiting any jungles this trip

Good Riding To All...It's Summer!!!!

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #3395
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,677
security screw driver

I just noticed the cover end of my security screwdriver is missing. Wonder if Garmin sells replacements?

When I got it the end used to stick on, so I put case (bullet) sizing wax on it. Guess it did too good a job, now the cover is missing
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #3396
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I just noticed the cover end of my security screwdriver is missing. Wonder if Garmin sells replacements?

When I got it the end used to stick on, so I put case (bullet) sizing wax on it. Guess it did too good a job, now the cover is missing
Click the image to go to the site.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #3397
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Anyone have any issues with forest/county/dirt roads? Such as having to zoom really far in to see them, or it not tracking correctly?
This is very dependent on maps. Garmin maps tend to lose back/secondary roads if you zoom out past 1.2km, not sure what the miles equivalent is. But the good news is that Open Street Maps and others can retain detail as far out as 5km, and the Montana's display is so sharp and detailed that you can still use the maps at those zoom levels.

Here's an example of an old map, Garmin's Canada Enhanced Basemap, one of very few Garmin products which retain high levels of detail when zoomed out.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 07:58 PM
Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #3398
jruh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Track is not completely displayed

Sorry if this has been discussed before but this is a very long thread and the search wouldn't find anything relevant for me.

I made a long track in Google Earth, imported it into Basecamp then loaded the .gpx file to the Montana.
As shown in following pictures, the Montana has truncated the track.

Basecamp:

and on Montana:

Is there a limit to the length of tracks that the Montana will display? This track is 590 miles, 13591 points.
I guess I should have made 2 or more smaller tracks?

Thanks, John
jruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #3399
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Hey fellas,

I am about to pull the trigger on a new GPS, and was looking for feedback from you guys who have used the Montana now for a bit. I've read parts of this thread, from the begining and skipped through a lot of the middle and caught up at the end. I see the new update has some issues, but that doesn't really bother me as I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

Thanks guys!

PM me when you get back. I have both a Zumo 550 and a Montana so you can see them side by side and kick the tires a bit.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #3400
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
My real life test starts tomorrow. My backup is a wife with a 76cx.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Doc, you two have a great ride. I am looking forward to reading of your adventures again. Let the Beta test end and the "real life test begin
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #3401
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
that's what I was thinking... with all the recent changes. Montana is not high on my list for being ready for a trip. got a Nuvi and iphone 4 for backups.
it wasnt so long ago that ALL trips were GPS less.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #3402
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruh View Post
Is there a limit to the length of tracks that the Montana will display? This track is 590 miles, 13591 points.
I think I read that tracks can only have 10,000 points displayed at a time, so that would about line up with how much of yours is not showing on the gps.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #3403
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruh View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before but this is a very long thread and the search wouldn't find anything relevant for me.

I made a long track in Google Earth, imported it into Basecamp then loaded the .gpx file to the Montana.
As shown in following pictures, the Montana has truncated the track.

Basecamp:

and on Montana:

Thanks, John
As Emmbeedee pointed out, any single Track can only be 10,000 points. You can set the Transfer properties in BaseCamp to filter your tracks upon transfer to less than 10K points.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #3404
jruh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Thanks Emmbeedee, DRTBYK.

I split the track into 2 and that solved it but will look into the transfer settings in BaseCamp as Dan suggested.

John
jruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #3405
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 650
I figured out how to send paper topos via ExpertGPS to the Montana. Very cool. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. It may have been that I originally was trying to dump them directly to the uSD card via the slot on the laptop. I was also able to transfer OSM 24K digital topos of Nevada to the unit. I always seem to buy some new gadget a month before a big vacation.....then scramble trying to figure it out.

caver screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 10:02 AM
caver is offline   Reply With Quote