ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #3421
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
I've wired it directly too the battery. I could put a plug in there, although I don't plan on this being a recurring problem.
The real advantage of having the SAE plug connection is that you can use it for a lot more than just the Montana mount. I already had the SAE plug on all my bikes to connect a battery charger so it just made sense to use the same connector for the mount.

Makes it easy to move the mount between bikes, too, if you only have one mount and multiple bikes.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #3422
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,691
Ive done the "move the mount to the other bike" thing and with the cost of the Garmin mount I'd just buy one for each bike.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #3423
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Ive done the "move the mount to the other bike" thing and with the cost of the Garmin mount I'd just buy one for each bike.
That's what I've done too; at $35 you might as well. But every one of the 3 Rugged Mounts we have is still wired through an SAE plug.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #3424
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Same here. Getting a second one from gpscity, but probably get some clear plastic tubing for the missing end.
mine was ordered this morning. thanks for the link Emmbeedee.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #3425
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I knew there was already a Wiki but this Wiki will have our slant to it - more specifically an ADV version of the Montana Wiki.
That would be good. Some people hate all motorcycles.
I have found in the Delorme world there are members who once they figure out your using it on a motorcycle they just stop answering questions.
To me ADV use is the whole reason I personal use GPS. IF Garmin sees our numbers they might cater a little more fixes for us.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #3426
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
Sorry, I misspoke. I have the rugged mount, not the ram mount. I've wired it directly too the battery. I could put a plug in there, although I don't plan on this being a recurring problem.
don't wire rugged mount directly to battery. use a switched power source, so when you turn key off, mount goes off too. Montana will self shut down when main power goes off, unless option to stay on is pressed.

All parasitic power drain should be eliminated from your bike. a dead battery the next morning is no fun .. worst yet some batteries don't recover from being drained too low. one good drain is all it takes to kill some batteries. especially new LiFePO4 batteries.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #3427
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
So Mark, you haven't said what you think of the Montana. You must have played with it for a while now. How does it compare to your old Oregon?
Loving it Emmbeedee. Much like the Oregon, only bigger, brighter, much more customizable and a dependable on bike power solution. I did the SAE mod on the rugged mount (I'm a former KLR rider, sue me!) and have it wired to un-switched circuits on my bikes fuse boxes. I'm to cheap and spent to much for the Montana to leave it on my bike so I don't worry about it running down the battery. If I get off the bike for any length of time the Montana comes with me. I'm still learning about custom profiles/shortcuts but this unit is light years ahead of my old Oregon.

SAE connector...

Perfect heads up position on the Super Tenere...

Not to bad on the WR either...

+1 on the new wiki on the Montana. Hopefully it will avoid my noob questions!
Little Blue goes looking for Orange

mbabc screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 09:43 PM
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #3428
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
An idea:

There are lots of complaints in this thread that people feel they have to read the thread from one end to the other to get the benefit of all the various opinions/tips/FAqs, etc. While I was riding today I realized that we need a new thread which is nothing but the facts, so I created this thread in GPS 101: Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs
I think that's a great idea. When I got my Montana and came across this thread it took me forever to read through all the posts. And I think it's doubled in size since then. A FAQ would have saved me a lot of time.

Quote:
If this goes according to plan, it should be a fairly short thread, with the current wisdom collected there. I hope to get one or two of us as admins in that thread to stop people from posting irrelevant stuff, so I'll be asking for that.
I don't know how it all works but here's an idea....

If possible, so that the FAQ does not turn into another Montana thread, can it be locked in such a way that only admin's of the FAQ thread can post to it?

If so, then you can keep it as only a FAQ with tips/information and links to posts in this, or other, threads.

Then by directing people to this thread for general questions you can then pull out the good stuff to be added to the FAQ as this thread grows.

Hope that made sense...

Anyway, that's my 0.02 worth for the day

Jon...
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #3429
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
That's what I've done too; at $35 you might as well. But every one of the 3 Rugged Mounts we have is still wired through an SAE plug.
Did the SAE plug thing too. For me, the dedicated circuit/device just works. I like to jump on the bike and go. Now, if Garmin would just put a wifi/3g/bluetooth interface on the Montana, I'd never take it off the bike.

BTW, just did another 2 rides with the Montana. First went without problems. Second one saw the Montana daemon reappear. So, I pulled an earplug out of my ear and stuck it in the battery compartment and the remainder of the trip went ok. I'll need to take another trip or two to validate the fix worked - then ill send you the other earplug

Moto-Treks
Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #3430
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I think that's a great idea. When I got my Montana and came across this thread it took me forever to read through all the posts. And I think it's doubled in size since then. A FAQ would have saved me a lot of time.

I don't know how it all works but here's an idea....

If possible, so that the FAQ does not turn into another Montana thread, can it be locked in such a way that only admin's of the FAQ thread can post to it?

If so, then you can keep it as only a FAQ with tips/information and links to posts in this, or other, threads.

Then by directing people to this thread for general questions you can then pull out the good stuff to be added to the FAQ as this thread grows.

Hope that made sense...

Anyway, that's my 0.02 worth for the day

Jon...
That's pretty much what I'd thought would work but 9Dave replied that it's not possible to give individuals control over one thread. He suggested we keep expanding the first few posts in the thread as the collection, and that would work.

But having the discussion in this thread, then distilling that and posting the short, final version to the 'Wisdom' thread would be ideal.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #3431
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 696
Emmbeedee/Dan, really appreciate your continued support of this thread. One of my reads with a cup of coffee each day. Keep it coming...

Regarding organizing the collective wisdom for the Montana, that's a good idea for the newbies and us old farts that forget things. Sounds like you hit on all solutions. I think a good thread index in Mr AugustFalcon's OP #1 would be the biggest help. That is if the admin's will grant you perm...

The wikispaces.com site is in desire need of content and TLC, very thin knowledge base on that site currently. Good potential otherwise...
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #3432
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
That's pretty much what I'd thought would work but 9Dave replied that it's not possible to give individuals control over one thread. He suggested we keep expanding the first few posts in the thread as the collection, and that would work.

But having the discussion in this thread, then distilling that and posting the short, final version to the 'Wisdom' thread would be ideal.
I'm all in favor of concise information in an easy to locate source that can be updated when the information changes.

Sounds like a Wiki to me and there is a Montana Wiki - although I'm not particularly a fan of a single-owner-editor wiki (orthogonal to the definition of WIKI).

So, what are you thinking you'll put in this "wisdom" thread?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #3433
moto-treks
Back Home

Wisdom thread

I've seen that done before. Like in this camping thread. The admin idea was a good because it would remove the burden of updating the list from one person.

If you want help, I'd be willing to scan through a part of this thread for useful info. Just let me know the starting post #

Moto-Treks
Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #3434
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Waypoints and routing

Question, I cannot figure out how to turn off routing when I want to navigate to a waypoint.

When I select go - it autoroutes to that waypoint. I don't want to auto route to the waypoint - I just want the compass to guide me to the waypoint... meandering around the back roads until I get to my destination.

When I select - where to - then select the waypoint it calculates a route... when I then go to compass - to just follow the compass it then points to the next turn in the route - not my end destination.

I know you can do this when the profile is set to recreation but I cannot figure out how to turn it off when I am in my custom profile.

I am using either topo canada maps (which are routable) or cityNav maps - is it tied to the map I am using? IF the map is routable it maps to that?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #3435
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean View Post
Question, I cannot figure out how to turn off routing when I want to navigate to a waypoint.

When I select go - it autoroutes to that waypoint. I don't want to auto route to the waypoint - I just want the compass to guide me to the waypoint... meandering around the back roads until I get to my destination.

When I select - where to - then select the waypoint it calculates a route... when I then go to compass - to just follow the compass it then points to the next turn in the route - not my end destination.

I know you can do this when the profile is set to recreation but I cannot figure out how to turn it off when I am in my custom profile.

I am using either topo canada maps (which are routable) or cityNav maps - is it tied to the map I am using? IF the map is routable it maps to that?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
If you already have the waypoint selected and it's auto-routed select Where To->Change Route Activity->Direct Routing

Moto-Treks