ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 193 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #3436
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean View Post
Question, I cannot figure out how to turn off routing when I want to navigate to a waypoint.

When I select go - it autoroutes to that waypoint. I don't want to auto route to the waypoint - I just want the compass to guide me to the waypoint... meandering around the back roads until I get to my destination.

When I select - where to - then select the waypoint it calculates a route... when I then go to compass - to just follow the compass it then points to the next turn in the route - not my end destination.

I know you can do this when the profile is set to recreation but I cannot figure out how to turn it off when I am in my custom profile.

I am using either topo canada maps (which are routable) or cityNav maps - is it tied to the map I am using? IF the map is routable it maps to that?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
You could just put the unit in Direct Routing Activity mode (Setup->Routing->Activity Mode) and then put either the compass on your Map Dashboard or use the Trip Computer with the Compass Dashboard. You can also setup the Compass Dial to display Course Deviation

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #3437
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I've seen that done before. Like in this camping thread. The admin idea was a good because it would remove the burden of updating the list from one person.

If you want help, I'd be willing to scan through a part of this thread for useful info. Just let me know the starting post #
Thanks for the offer - it's going to be a huge task so any help is appreciated. Not too sure how we'll approach it but I think this thread will still be very useful in the discussion of what goes to the "Wisdom" thread.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #3438
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 461
You should be able to continuously update/modify the first post of your thread anytime you want to add info to it. That's the way we do it on our other vBulletin boards. Great idea btw. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Somebody mentioned the earplug fix... reminded me that I did that to mine and have had no trouble with that since.

I'm currently prepping routes in Basecamp for my Trans Lab trip. I think I may be getting the hang of Basecamp now. I get it. I think. I actually like it too. It's pretty easy to manage everything on the Montana.

Next weekend I get to use the Montana on the DRZ in the mountains. Can't wait!!!
woodsatyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #3439
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
You should be able to continuously update/modify the first post of your thread anytime you want to add info to it. That's the way we do it on our other vBulletin boards. Great idea btw. If I can help in any way, let me know.
Glad to hear your Montana's behaving now! Thanks for the offer - we'll keep it in mind. Starting to think it might be useful if people choose an area to focus on, and work on that.

Hey Dan, this is your baby too! What do you think of this? We could have a DRTBYK Dan Area in the Wisdom thread.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #3440
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That's pretty much what I'd thought would work but 9Dave replied that it's not possible to give individuals control over one thread. He suggested we keep expanding the first few posts in the thread as the collection, and that would work.

But having the discussion in this thread, then distilling that and posting the short, final version to the 'Wisdom' thread would be ideal.
Obviously some individuals have control over thread/s, called moderators.

It would be great if they, the thread moderators or site controller, made you a moderator and allowed you access to only this new thread that you are trying to create. Furthermore if they do change the access allowability then you could appoint/allow access to only a couple/few of some other post'rs here that have regularly offered and replied with short concise and correct information, to assist you with the effort that will be involved to keep it updated. Say when you are away multi-day testing a Montana then they could keep the rest of us inline on target.

Hey 9Dave are you ready this thread.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #3441
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,857
How does one control the volume on this thing?

I tried hitting the power button and got the backlight control. No volume. I tried it with headphones and with the automobile mount. No luck.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #3442
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,857
Is there a way to download the latest bets software on a Mac? Their requirements say PC only.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #3443
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
Is there a way to download the latest bets software on a Mac? Their requirements say PC only.
Yes you can install the Windows Beta version on your gps with a Mac but it's a little complicated.

Save the PC version, rename it from .exe to .zip, expand it to a directory on your computer then using the Finder, look for the file called gupdate.gcd and copy that file to the Montana's \Garmin directory then reboot it.

That should do it.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #3444
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
How does one control the volume on this thing?

I tried hitting the power button and got the backlight control. No volume. I tried it with headphones and with the automobile mount. No luck.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
You only get the volume slider & mute button if you have something plugged in to the Audio Out jack.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #3445
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
. . .

Hey Dan, this is your baby too! What do you think of this? We could have a DRTBYK Dan Area in the Wisdom thread.
I'm happy to contribute. Much of what I know about the Montana is in this thread. I'm just a little concerned about trying to make a wiki out of a Forum.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #3446
SLACKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Montana 650t for sale or trade

GARMIN MONTANA 650T TOURATECH COMBO
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...bad3d50fa7ced0

I bought this 650T a few days ago and decided I would prefer Zumo 660..................Touratech does not accept gps returns unfortunately....................It includes everything in the link above as well as the maps
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...bad3d50fa7ced0
I paid $829- plus $79- = $908- and will sell for $725
It was delivered on May 9......................the warranty has not been activated, so the buyer will have that benefit............I can scan and post a receopt if wanted
SLACKER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #3447
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You only get the volume slider & mute button if you have something plugged in to the Audio Out jack.

Cheers,
Dan - Doesn't the volume control also work with the automobile mount?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #3448
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Dan - Doesn't the volume control also work with the automobile mount?
It's supposed to - the mount has a speaker built in.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #3449
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
If you have your Rugged Mount wiring connected with a SAE plug, you could just unplug that to run off the battery while your bike's battery is too low.
I noticed you keep almost all of the wiring that came with the Montana mount, wrap it around the base of your ram mount, and have the SAE plug at the end. Is there any reason why you couldn't cut almost all of that off and end up with the SAE plug in the first 6 inches.

I've also seen some pics in the past several pages where people where talking about which pins in the mount were for power and for ground. Are some people completely removing the wiring harness that came with the mount and re-attaching a 2 wire SAE plug directly to the mount.

This is something I need to do in the next few weeks and wasn't sure how to go about it.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #3450
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42 View Post
I noticed you keep almost all of the wiring that came with the Montana mount, wrap it around the base of your ram mount, and have the SAE plug at the end. Is there any reason why you couldn't cut almost all of that off and end up with the SAE plug in the first 6 inches.
I cut the cable as short as I could while leaving the audio connector intact. Still leaves a lot of excess cable, as you noticed.

I don't really care about the extra cable. It might come in handy someday. If the SAE connector up at the bars quits, I have enough cable there to go all the way to my second SAE connector down under the seat.