ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #3526
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
not a beta in works.... what version o/s do you recommend?
I suggest leaving the version of software you have now and doing a Master Reset.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #3527
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Mine has gotten worse since I went to 4.03. :mope: Coinkydink or not, it's a PITA. Your fix isn't helping it so I think I'll call Garmin again.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #3528
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Could you put the stock profiles on the wisdom page for folks to download if needed?
I was just at a friends the other day and wanted these too. Didn't bring my computer so I didn't have access to my saved copy. I've loaded a set of the default profiles here in case anyone needs access while traveling.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #3529
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I was just at a friends the other day and wanted these too. Didn't bring my computer so I didn't have access to my saved copy. I've loaded a set of the default profiles here in case anyone needs access while traveling.

Thanks!
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #3530
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,018
Quote:
I suggest leaving the version of software you have now and doing a Master Reset.
thanks just did a master reset... everything seems fine again. had several white screens last few days during rides. still on 4.02 .. seems to have less problems than 4.03

_cy_ screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 08:26 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #3531
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I am not sure on whether I need to do the master reset, but it is nice to know it does not delete all user data, on the road that is scary.

I do not know if I have had a white screen problem, but if I describe the symptoms, maybe you can tell.

At some times I lose the actual map that I am using, but the NEXT Turn info is still there, it is still counting down, same with the speed and other data fields, they are all there and working, just no bike nor road etc, is that a white screen that you guys have been talking about?

Mine is a newer model, serial is after the bad production run.

Anyway, something I did when this was happening(multiple battery out) asked me if I wished to delete all data and I said no, but it rebooted and seemed to work for a while.

This was a few days ago in areas where maps are not the best(Macedonia) and I am now in Albania where I am riding on virgin territory according to Garmin, the roads have been here about 10 years or so. :)

Anyway, I will do a master reset, just because, and see what happens

Cheers from Montenegro
TravellingStrom
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #3532
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Question

Okay... There are times when I HATE Garmin!

So I am getting ready to leave for a trip. I want to take a laptop with me so I can have the City Nav NA 2012 and my Topo Maps available for on the fly route creation using Mapsource (Far easier than doing it on the unit). I have a Montana 600 and a legit purchased copy of the City Nav DVD. I have successfully installed the CNNA 2012 on my desktop computer at home and at work from this DVD without any problem. However, when I try to install it on the laptop (Win XP Pro SP3), the Garmin splash screen comes up and after about a minute I get an error message:

"Cannot establish a connection to the server"

And then the install just aborts when I hit okay.

I have verified that the computer has access to the internet. I can surf the web without any problems and I can see and access all the other computers on my home LAN. After reading a FAQ on the Garmin site, I tried going into IE and setting the LAN settings to "Automatically detect proxy settings". No joy.

I tried searching many different phrases on Google hoping someone else has had this problem, but I could not find any solutions. I REALLY want to get this installed so I can take the laptop. I leave Friday afternoon... Any ideas!?

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #3533
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 693
Could be totally irrelevant, but are you running as an Administrator on the laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Okay... There are times when I HATE Garmin!

So I am getting ready to leave for a trip. I want to take a laptop with me so I can have the City Nav NA 2012 and my Topo Maps available for on the fly route creation using Mapsource (Far easier than doing it on the unit). I have a Montana 600 and a legit purchased copy of the City Nav DVD. I have successfully installed the CNNA 2012 on my desktop computer at home and at work from this DVD without any problem. However, when I try to install it on the laptop (Win XP Pro SP3), the Garmin splash screen comes up and after about a minute I get an error message:

"Cannot establish a connection to the server"

And then the install just aborts when I hit okay.

I have verified that the computer has access to the internet. I can surf the web without any problems and I can see and access all the other computers on my home LAN. After reading a FAQ on the Garmin site, I tried going into IE and setting the LAN settings to "Automatically detect proxy settings". No joy.

I tried searching many different phrases on Google hoping someone else has had this problem, but I could not find any solutions. I REALLY want to get this installed so I can take the laptop. I leave Friday afternoon... Any ideas!?

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #3534
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

I also saw something about .NET FRAME needing to be up to date, which the install program said it would take care of. I watched it do an update of that the first time I tried to install. Just for grins, I am making sure that the laptop is up to date on all of the Windows Updates.

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #3535
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
Could be totally irrelevant, but are you running as an Administrator on the laptop?
Yes sir.

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 05-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #3536
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Okay... the laptop has ALL Windows Updates installed. No joy.

What is really weird is that this laptop has Mapsource installed and has the CNNA v8 maps installed. If I go to the "Check for updates" in the Mapsource, it immediately connects to a Garmin server and wants to know if I want to download the latest copy of Mapsource! So why on Earth can it connect for this update but not for the install of the CNNA 2012? Of course, I can't use the CNNA v8 with the Montana because of the ridiculous unlock codes.

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #3537
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Okay... the laptop has ALL Windows Updates installed. No joy.

What is really weird is that this laptop has Mapsource installed and has the CNNA v8 maps installed. If I go to the "Check for updates" in the Mapsource, it immediately connects to a Garmin server and wants to know if I want to download the latest copy of Mapsource! So why on Earth can it connect for this update but not for the install of the CNNA 2012? Of course, I can't use the CNNA v8 with the Montana because of the ridiculous unlock codes.
You should be using Basecamp, not Mapsource. The new Garmins all work better with BC, though it does have a steep learning curve. With BC, maps don't meed to be installed on the computer as the gps maps can be seen by the program when connected via usb.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #3538
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
You should be using Basecamp, not Mapsource. The new Garmins all work better with BC, though it does have a steep learning curve. With BC, maps don't meed to be installed on the computer as the gps maps can be seen by the program when connected via usb.
But don't you still have to install the maps on the GPS then? If so, I don't see how that gets around my problem of the install program failing to connect to the server.

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #3539
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
But don't you still have to install the maps on the GPS then? If so, I don't see how that gets around my problem of the install program failing to connect to the server.
You can update the maps to the GPS directly assuming the map update program can access the server. I prefer then installed in the computer.

Have you tried turning off the internet from your computer? Just an idea but I would think the install program should install without an internet connection.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #3540
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
MapInstall is the program you'd use to install the maps. Maybe it'll be more successful than Mapsource at connecting to the server.