ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #346
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Creative. . .

My dirt bike is rather large (HP2) so maybe it doesn't vibrate as much as some. I'm using a RAM Short-arm and Ball with the AMPS Rugged Mount. I just did a 100mi day in some rather ruff conditions. No shake what so ever. And, I can rotate the Montana in 10 seconds.

Cheers,
I used a plastic diamond ball mount on one end...had several left over from some previous mount...I later found one made from aluminum, so I'll try that and see if it reduces the vibration...
I had an HP2...wish I had kept it sometimes...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #347
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,565
Quote:
Already there. Use the "Smart List" feature.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-C...ist-tracks.jpg
Do you run a Mac? I can't seem to find "Smart List" on my PC.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #348
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Do you run a Mac? I can't seem to find "Smart List" on my PC.
Yes. . .

I just now had the time to load the PC BaseCamp v3.2.1. I see that they at least got rid of the wacky interface layout but the PC version doesn't include most of the data management features the Mac BC got. No SmartList's or Folder/Sub-Folder's. Looks like the Mac version got most of the good features for a change.

I did ask for those at one point during the WinPC Beta testing and was told that PC users aren't use to data management features like SmartList's (DB Filters that show a virtual copy of the filter requested data) - OK, but Folder's/Sub-folder's? I see when I import my Mac files into WinBC it actually shows a Folder Icon next to my SmartList data but WinBC can't actually manage the list in a "smart" way - it's just a "copy" of My Collection data. If I Delete and Undo the parent Item, the SmartList "copy" does not recover the Undo object.

If I were a PC user these days I'd be all over the Garmin Forum for Windows BaseCamp asking for SmartList's and Folder/Sub-folder's. Bummer.

Still lots of room for improvement on both OS versions.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #349
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 938
Serial cable?? What for??

Dumb question time once again...... So I'm hooking up the AMPS mount and can't figure out what to do with the 3 serial cables! What does someone use the serial cables for?? Should I shrink wrap them for later use??
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #350
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I've never used them - either on my old Chartplotters or even the USB cable on my zumo's mounts. I suppose these could be useful if you were using the Montana in a Marine application where you wanted to connect it to other NMEA Marine devices.

I just cut mine back with the cable when I terminated it for my CANbus plug on the HP2. On my older R1150GSA I still cut the whole cable back and connected the 12VDC lines to my custom terminal block. In both applications the Serial lines and Audio are covered by shrink wrap.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #351
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
I've never used them - either on my old Chartplotters or even the USB cable on my zumo's mounts. I suppose these could be useful if you were using the Montana in a Marine application where you wanted to connect it to other NMEA Marine devices.

I just cut mine back with the cable when I terminated it for my CANbus plug on the HP2. On my older R1150GSA I still cut the whole cable back and connected the 12VDC lines to my custom terminal block. In both applications the Serial lines and Audio are covered by shrink wrap.

Cheers,
Oh, I see. Thanks for the info.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #352
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
Dumb question time once again...... So I'm hooking up the AMPS mount and can't figure out what to do with the 3 serial cables! What does someone use the serial cables for?? Should I shrink wrap them for later use??
Yeah, absolutely no information in either the Montana manual or the Amps mount manual explaining what the serial cables were for or how they were to be wired. I just assumed it was to do with the depth and water temp displays associated with the marine profile.

I certainly like this unit the most of all the Garmin offerings for bikes so far, including the Quest, StreetPilot and the Zumo but I wish there were more players in this market. Garmin seems to produce "Toys" rather navigation units. This is evident throughout their line from aviation to marine and automotive. There is no reason to continuously deliver "buggy" products to the marketplace without proper documentation.

On the Montana, I can't put the elevation plot icon onto my dash because it shuts the unit down each time I launch it. Keep in the drawer and it works fine. So far, this is the only issue I am having, which for a Garmin product, is pretty outstanding.

On the positive side, the customization is a welcome feature after the Zumo. No more just a magenta line on a beige background. I can actually see what is around me, including small roads. I can control the zoom levels and detail features for each zoom level. I can decide what information I want to see on the screen. I can monitor barometric pressure which is very helpful for preparing for a rainy campsite overnight. The Navteq maps however still have me making left turns by doing three rights occasionally. We use Navteq at the airline I work for ( not for maps thank god ) and their system is very buggy.

So I am very very happy overall with my Montana but is it because it is a great GPS or is because Garmin has been so successful in lowering our expectations over the years?
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #353
pepetrueba
PePeBaJa

Oddometer: 194
Montana

here's my dumb question of the day.
i loaded us city navigator on unternal memory.
mexico e32 topo, california topo 11, arizona, utah, etx along with waypoints, tracks and routes.
i tried testing navigator on san diego city streest on auto friction mount with built in speaker....WELL Jill or John or whoever i choose to guide me is asleep. no turn left, go right, at destination. i toggled mapsets disabling the custom downloaded and leaving on the city navigator, that prompted a voice message stating "recalculating" and that was it. nothing more???
what am i doing wrong. garmin 276c was easy, stable and i just sold it yesterday :(
any settings i am missing?
thanks and all flak will be taken
Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #354
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepetrueba View Post
here's my dumb question of the day.
i loaded us city navigator on unternal memory.
mexico e32 topo, california topo 11, arizona, utah, etx along with waypoints, tracks and routes.
i tried testing navigator on san diego city streest on auto friction mount with built in speaker....WELL Jill or John or whoever i choose to guide me is asleep. no turn left, go right, at destination. i toggled mapsets disabling the custom downloaded and leaving on the city navigator, that prompted a voice message stating "recalculating" and that was it. nothing more???
what am i doing wrong. garmin 276c was easy, stable and i just sold it yesterday :(
any settings i am missing?
thanks and all flak will be taken
I've loaded City Navigator on mine and tested it driving back & forth to work...no problems with the voice prompts unless I try changing from Jill to Michele...Michele is dead!...no voice...I haven't tried any of the other choices, but from the posts on this forum, it appears that Garmin has once again sent a product to market that isn't fully de-bugged...I'm keeping my 276 until the bozos at Garmin get their shit together...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #355
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
Yeah, absolutely no information in either the Montana manual or the Amps mount manual explaining what the serial cables were for or how they were to be wired. I just assumed it was to do with the depth and water temp displays associated with the marine profile.

I certainly like this unit the most of all the Garmin offerings for bikes so far, including the Quest, StreetPilot and the Zumo but I wish there were more players in this market. Garmin seems to produce "Toys" rather navigation units. This is evident throughout their line from aviation to marine and automotive. There is no reason to continuously deliver "buggy" products to the marketplace without proper documentation.

On the Montana, I can't put the elevation plot icon onto my dash because it shuts the unit down each time I launch it. Keep in the drawer and it works fine. So far, this is the only issue I am having, which for a Garmin product, is pretty outstanding.

On the positive side, the customization is a welcome feature after the Zumo. No more just a magenta line on a beige background. I can actually see what is around me, including small roads. I can control the zoom levels and detail features for each zoom level. I can decide what information I want to see on the screen. I can monitor barometric pressure which is very helpful for preparing for a rainy campsite overnight. The Navteq maps however still have me making left turns by doing three rights occasionally. We use Navteq at the airline I work for ( not for maps thank god ) and their system is very buggy.

So I am very very happy overall with my Montana but is it because it is a great GPS or is because Garmin has been so successful in lowering our expectations over the years?
Ooops, you missed the AMPS Rugged Mount Documentation in the box. . .

The Shortcut code has some bugs in it and Garmin has indicated [at least to me] that they are aware and working on a fix.

I don't like the Software Engineering (using the term loosely) practices used by Garmin either. But, consumers have brought this on themselves in some part. We are so vocal here with each other (misery loves company) but we need to be speaking directly to Garmin. Use the Garmin.com/Ideas webpage to voice your displeasure with code quality of new devices.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #356
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I've loaded City Navigator on mine and tested it driving back & forth to work...no problems with the voice prompts unless I try changing from Jill to Michele...Michele is dead!...no voice...I haven't tried any of the other choices, but from the posts on this forum, it appears that Garmin has once again sent a product to market that isn't fully de-bugged...I'm keeping my 276 until the bozos at Garmin get their shit together...
SKINNY,

Did you report this via email to Product Support? We have to have a collective voice in order to make changes at Garmin.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #357
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
SKINNY,

Did you report this via email to Product Support? We have to have a collective voice in order to make changes at Garmin.

Cheers,
I'm going on a road trip this coming week-end, so I expect to get more familiar with the possible dysfunction of my new Montana...I'll email Garmin with all the bugs I encounter...
Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #358
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 696
Got out for another long ride this past weekend with the montana and didn't find any new issues (other than what's already been reported). All the issues/enhancements I've found have been politely logged with Garmin.

My biggest irratation (albeit fairly trival) are the very small +- zoom hotspots which are a PITA to use with a gloved finger. As a workaround, I grabbed an old pair of enduro gloves and cut the tip of the index fingers off. No show/hide track issues encountered on my unit (knock on head) as others have reported.

I'll admit early that the v1.0 Montana is fairly close to the wishful unit I actually had in my mind when I purchased my zumo 550, 60csx, and 78s. With future firmware releases the unit will just keep getting better.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #359
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Always trade offs when it comes to touch screens. But, you just may have created a new product - "The touch-screen-friendly-glove". Only 50% more than the glove WITH the finger tip!

One of the techniques I use on the touch screen when waring gloves is to touch a little lighter and hold a little longer before moving my finger. This seems to allow for "centering" of the touch in the area I intended. Doesn't always work but more often than not.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #360
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,769
Has anyone found the sensitivity of the touchscreen different when using a screen protector or not?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is online now   Reply With Quote