ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #3586
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
tough day with the montana. First it kept routing me down major roads, but everything was checked avoid accept unimproved roads. several times I would turn onto a stone road, the garmin would ask me to "re-route", I would click yes and probably 1 out of every 5 times the GPS would just shut off. restarting it I would find it was still routing.

Then towards the end of the day I setup a route to my RV and it sent me down the highway. I stopped and checked my avoidance, it was set correct. I changed unimproved road to avoid, then don't avoid. When I finished I could hear "recalculating route", and it sent me direct over the mountain on unimproved roads.

Still, I love the GPS, just growing pains. It has only done this since reloading 3.9 coming off 4.X.

Once 4.x is released I will probably be ok again.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #3587
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
It's left on the bike because it's the bike's GPS. No need to drag it in the house everyday..
I use mine in the car, handheld and on the bike. It's safe in my garage but I like having it around. That's how I learn about it, by playing with it in the bath. certainly not something I can do while riding.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #3588
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I use mine in the car, handheld and on the bike. It's safe in my garage but I like having it around. That's how I learn about it, by playing with it in the bath. certainly not something I can do while riding.
Does your wife allow a threesome ?
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #3589
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,687
Hey fellas first up im a noob at this gps stuff and what you guys talk about is way over my head so sorry if this has been discused b4 - I have a new montana 650t the guys i ride with have cheap car gps's wrapped in plastic for waterproofing so the ride we did this weekend was sent to me in three routes - my $700 montana wouldnt let me use them screen kept saying more than 50 points but the cheap car ones were fine they can have 200 points - please tell me that i just have to press a button somewhere to be able to use routes otherwise its useless to me
thanks in advance
B2
Just done some tooling around on basecamp if i change routes that are given to me into tracks will that work

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 04:23 AM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #3590
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
It's not the bike battery that dies (I don't have one of those new LFP types.) It's the Montana's battery that dies

Well, when left on it most certainly will kill the bike battery.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #3591
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburb View Post
I just loaded a track onto Base Camp and when transferring to my Montana a box pops up asking what I would like to load i.e. tracks routs ect. By unchecking a track and checking a rout is this how I change from a track to a rout. I'm new at this and still trying to figure fallowing a track it's about 200 miles off road and don't want to get turned around. I've been experimenting on small rides with track on and can track back but cant track the direction I want to go from a loaded track?
I know this is probably basic stuff to most of you but any help would be appreciated. Thank goodness my bike isn't as smart as this GPS.
The transfer box

is more of a filter. Meaning BaseCamp will only send the type of data that you select. So, if you select tracks then only tracks preexisting in BaseCamp will be sent to the GPS unit.

To convert a track to a route use the right click menu option

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #3592
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Montana Screen Capture?

I just got the Montana and have been playing with it for two days now. I have read a lot of the information on here but have not found how to do a screen capture. Is it possible to do a screen capture on this GPS? If so can someone please inform me? I have tried pressing down the power button but this only gives me the ability to adjust backlighting.

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #3593
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Oil View Post
I just got the Montana and have been playing with it for two days now. I have read a lot of the information on here but have not found how to do a screen capture. Is it possible to do a screen capture on this GPS? If so can someone please inform me? I have tried pressing down the power button but this only gives me the ability to adjust backlighting.
Go to Setup/Display. That's where you set up screen capture.

And it only works until the next time you power down.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 06:19 AM
Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #3594
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Go to Setup/Display. That's where you set uo screen capture.

Thanks Emmbeedee greatly appreciated.

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #3595
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
You put it on your little rubber duckie and watch it navagate?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #3596
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Go to Setup/Display. That's where you set up screen capture.

Should this go ion the Collected Wisdom thread ?
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #3597
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,656
map redraw speed?

Hey guys;

I've enjoyed benefiting from the collective wisdom on this thread for several months before buying a 600 a few days ago.

Just returned from a street trip to NYC/Manhattan, and was generally happy with the GPS, with one major exception - the map redraw speed was extremely frustrating in a densely-populated area like Manhattan. When trying to scroll around to see where I should be going or to get my bearings, it would take forever to draw the new section. Similar performance to my old 60cx, but not nearly as good as my friend's 478.

Is there a fix? Workaround? I tried changing the "map detail" settings and it didn't seem to have an effect. The problem isn't nearly as noticeable out in the country (although still sometimes a bit annoying).

I'm running the latest version of City Nav, installed on the device's memory, with only the world basemap and CityNav enabled.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #3598
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Is there a fix? Workaround? I tried changing the "map detail" settings and it didn't seem to have an effect. The problem isn't nearly as noticeable out in the country (although still sometimes a bit annoying).

I'm running the latest version of City Nav, installed on the device's memory, with only the world basemap and CityNav enabled.

dc
What version of the software are you running? Go to Setup/About.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #3599
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,656
I was running 3.6 (which came on the unit) over the weekend. Just upgraded to 3.9 and tried zooming into Manhattan - still very slow.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #3600
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
So I decided to see just why one can't edit a BaseCamp route downloaded to the Montana but you can edit a route created on the Montana.

Diving into the route.gpx file a bit I found that if I rename the "creator" attribute from "Garmin Desktop App" to "Montana 600" and remove the node "tcp:Trip" then the montana thinks I've created the route on the Montana and you have full edit capability as well as options like "Reverse Route"

So, while it takes a little manipulation it looks like one can get this much needed functionality. Next - a little clean up app to automate this
I finally tried this edit today, but it did not work on ver. 4.04 (note: it's"trp:Trip", and that's what I deleted). The strange thing is that SOME of the routes I created in Basecamp are editable and reversible, but not others! For the life of me I can't figure out what's different. If I create a route on the Montana, it doesn't look anything like the Basecamp routes xml language, but the editable basecamp routes and the non-editable basecamp routes look the same.(in the headers)
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote