ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 185 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #3601
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
The transfer box

is more of a filter. Meaning BaseCamp will only send the type of data that you select. So, if you select tracks then only tracks preexisting in BaseCamp will be sent to the GPS unit.

To convert a track to a route use the right click menu option

moto-treks....

I like your Basecamp screen. Mine is not even near as detailed as yours. What version of Basecamp is this or did you customize it yourself. Oh, it's the iMac version..right..wow neat compared tothe PC version?

This is mine:

What gives....

Thanks
Abenteuerfahrer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #3602
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
I was running 3.6 (which came on the unit) over the weekend. Just upgraded to 3.9 and tried zooming into Manhattan - still very slow.

dc
I have no idea why it would do that, but in your situation, I'd phone Garmin and ask if that's normal.

Monday–Thursday: 8 AM–6 PM, Friday 8 AM–5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

U.S.: 913-397-8200
U.S. toll-free: 1-800-800-1020
Canada: 1-866-429-9296
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #3603
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
moto-treks....

I like your Basecamp screen. Mine is not even near as detailed as yours. What version of Basecamp is this or did you customize it yourself. Oh, it's the iMac version..right..wow neat compared tothe PC version?

This is mine:

What gives....

Thanks
Yes, it is the Mac version. I've yet to try the PC version. I'm running 3.3.2.0. I get those details when I turn the "Detail" slider all the say up.

oh - and it is a Mac

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #3604
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
I finally tried this edit today, but it did not work on ver. 4.04 (note: it's"trp:Trip", and that's what I deleted). The strange thing is that SOME of the routes I created in Basecamp are editable and reversible, but not others! For the life of me I can't figure out what's different. If I create a route on the Montana, it doesn't look anything like the Basecamp routes xml language, but the editable basecamp routes and the non-editable basecamp routes look the same.(in the headers)
If you download your auto-routed route (Activity set to something other than Direct) to the Montana from BaseCamp the Montana knows 1) that it was not created in the Montana and 2) that it's been auto-routed vs. direct route, therefore it will not recalculate and you can't edit it.

To make a route editable in the Montana just change the Activity to "Direct" in BaseCamp before sending it to the Montana.

I believe the Montana uses the attribute, "creator" and the tag "trp:Trip" in the XML to determine if the route is editable or not.

Moto-Treks
Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #3605
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Yes, it is the Mac version. I've yet to try the PC version. I'm running 3.3.2.0. I get those details when I turn the "Detail" slider all the say up.

oh - and it is a Mac
Argghh..you even have ..'Send to Device" or "receive from device" Icons.... Map detail on the maps is OK with the PC Basecamp version but the header, file, edit...Icons of mag.glass; foot tracks, etc...it indeed very cool with the Mac version. So I guess after a long suffering complaint by the Mac'ers you got your reward while us PC'ers are left to our own devices..aarrghhh.....Am too much of a Dummkopf to relearn the Mac...!

Thank you and cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #3606
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Just returned from a street trip to NYC/Manhattan, and was generally happy with the GPS, with one major exception - the map redraw speed was extremely frustrating in a densely-populated area like Manhattan. When trying to scroll around to see where I should be going or to get my bearings, it would take forever to draw the new section. Similar performance to my old 60cx, but not nearly as good as my friend's 478.
Ok, I did a test - did a "Where To/Manhattan" and got the map on the screen and when in anything higher than "Normal" detail, I got slow screen redraws but when I went to "Normal", redraws were what I would consider normal. The screen always showed up rapidly.

Have you tried the "Normal" setting?

Setup\Map\Advanced Setup\Detail\Normal
Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #3607
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Should this go ion the Collected Wisdom thread ?
Done.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...72&postcount=8
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #3608
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Ok, I did a test - did a "Where To/Manhattan" and got the map on the screen and when in anything higher than "Normal" detail, I got slow screen redraws but when I went to "Normal", redraws were what I would consider normal. The screen always showed up rapidly.

Have you tried the "Normal" setting?

Setup\Map\Advanced Setup\Detail\Normal
Hmm. I just tried a master reset as per your instructions, then navigated to Manhattan again, and it seems totally fine now. Very slightly slower redraws than in a less dense area but it's quite snappy and at least as fast, or faster even, than the 478. Strange.

Anyway, it seems to be working great now. I now have useably quick Manhattan redraws even on detail "most".

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #3609
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 242
I've got a simple basecamp question...

I just downloaded the mac version and started out trying to make a route on some dirt roads in central OR. I'm using 100k topo maps.

I can see the road on the screen, I have the road preferences selected to avoid interstates and state highways but the damn thing absolutely refuses to route me on this dirt road. Instead, it routes me across open country to a large highway and then back to my next click. Seriously. WTF?!?!?!
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #3610
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Thumbs down

Quote:
To make a route editable in the Montana just change the Activity to "Direct" in BaseCamp before sending it to the Montana.
That would explain it! Some of the routes were old ones created in Mapsource for the 76C and TopoUSA.

So I just tested this, reset activity to Direct in Basecamp and uploaded half a dozen or so of the same ones....they all were editable, and if the profile was set to automotive on the Montana, they recalculated.
Now all I have to do is edit hundreds of old routes so that the autorouting doesn't create those annoying little reversals, U-turns, etc., because some via points were a hundred yards off the road!

This could be a 20 page tutorial in itself. Hmmmm, maybe a candidate for the wisdom thread?

Thanks Moto, this was driving me nuts!!!

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 09:29 AM
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #3611
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
This could be a 20 page tutorial in itself. Hmmmm, maybe a candidate for the wisdom thread?

Thanks Moto, this was driving me nuts!!!
Good idea but someone else would need to write it...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #3612
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Good idea but someone else would need to write it...
Well, I might give it a try...but not 'til I get back from my upcoming ride to California Gold Country.

Maybe by then I will understand this damn beast.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #3613
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Now all I have to do is edit hundreds of old routes so that the autorouting doesn't create those annoying little reversals, U-turns, etc., because some via points were a hundred yards off the road!
Or just ignore those parts of the route after all, it is just a tool - you don't have to follow everything is says

Moto-Treks
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #3614
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Or just ignore those parts of the route after all, it is just a tool - you don't have to follow everything is says
Agreed. You're not married to it.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #3615
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Anyone else using the OSM maps finding that they're getting routed on hiking trails?

I'm wondering if this is just a local map data issue or a problem with the translation.

If I set the routing preferences to "shortest distance" from the intersection of Base Station Rd. and Mt. Clinton Rd., just to the west of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, to Bethel, Maine, (east of Mt. Washington on Rt. 2) I get routed up and over Mt. Washington via the Jewell Trail. This happens both in Base Camp and on the Montana in the "Motorcycling" activity on Base Camp, whether or not the "Narrow Trails" avoidance is set.

If I switch the to the 24k topo Northeast maps, the "Narrow Trails" avoidance seems to determine which way I get routed in that case—my "dirt biking" activity profile in Base Camp wants to go up and over Mt. Washington, while the "motorcycling" profile (set to avoid "narrow trails") wants to continue up Jefferson Notch Rd.

This is a bit annoying (it was very annoying at 80' F on Saturday afternoon when I had intended to continue up Jefferson Notch Rd. but found it still closed and gated, so I decided to follow the GPS instructions...until I got to the cog railway parking lot and it was telling me to continue ahead. Riiiight.).
kbroderick is online now   Reply With Quote