ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 185 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #3631
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Hi all, I have a problem and hope someone can point me in the right direction

I am travelling, so sending my GPS to a repair shop is out of the question, sthis is what happened yesterday near Sarejevo.

There are no roads or not many and coming in from Croatia, we covered about 100km of 'there be dragons' terrritory. When I did finally get on a road it knew, the screen froze, so I pulled over and removed the battery to reset it but then it just made a beep, the screen went from total 100% dark to about 90% dark and I could see nor do nothing!

I tried this a few times, then took the LI battery out and powered it from bike cradle, phew it still works and when I installed 3AA rechargeables, it also worked, so the LI battery is either faulty, or the charge/power system internally in the GPS is crook.

Now, it is useable the way it is, not ideal but works.

I am currently in Bosnia and will be heading up to Austria/Germany soon for the HU meeting and VSRI meetings.

My question is, how do I get this fixed, under warrenty WITHOUT sending it away?

Should I contact the seller(I bought it on eBay as a NEW unit) or as it is registered with Garmin, contact them direct?

My preffered option would be for me to ride to a Garmin dealer where there is a replacement unit to swap out, but I am doubtful this would happen.

My units serial number was well outside the earlier problem units range but I have had a few white screens during my travels, which can be a bit unerving to say the least.

Any thoughts to set my mind at ease?

Cheers from Bosnia
TravellingStrom
At least contact Garmin in the area.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #3632
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Hi all, I have a problem and hope someone can point me in the right direction

I am travelling, so sending my GPS to a repair shop is out of the question, sthis is what happened yesterday near Sarejevo.
Call Garmin direct ... someone posted earlier about getting a refurbished Montana when it's not possible to send problem GPS back in first. cost is about $190. then sent your old montana back to get your $$$ back.

sounds like your li-ion battery is suspect. if you have a volt meter?
measure DC volts from contact nearest to edge of battery to other 3 contacts.
battery appears to be a lithium cobalt battery with 3 internal cells wired in parallel.

on my battery, two cells reads 4.0v, one cell reads 3.3v
so I've got one cell getting ready to die.
lithium cobalt batteries are fully charged at 4.2v .. dead at 3.0v
when cell drops below 3.5v it's effectively dead.

montana will only charge li-ion battery from cradle. if problem is isolated to li-ion battery. operate montana with 3x AA rechargeable. then take out 3x AA battery out to recharge when needed.

_cy_ screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 02:26 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #3633
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
Call Garmin direct ... someone posted earlier about getting a refurbished Montana when it's not possible to send problem GPS back in first. cost is about $190. then sent your old montana back to get your $$$ back.
isnt this just the loose battery?
Old 05-24-2012, 02:51 AM   #3634
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
isnt this just the loose battery?
loose battery is one possibility, that why it'd be worth measuring voltage of battery to determine if battery is dead. if battery internal cells measures 3.6v to 4.2v, then it's within normal operating range. put an soft foam ear plug under battery cover to tighten battery.

if it's not a loose battery connection. call Garmin direct to get replacement battery or refurbished montana
Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #3635
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
Amigos por Favor....any solution for post #3623 ....>

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...88775&page=242

Thank you..
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #3636
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
Can someone tell me if the Garmin Montana 650, that's in a RAM mount powered off of a 12v socket/mini usb port, will shut off when disconnected from the 12v power source and mount to take a picture. I'm hoping it will automatically switch to internal power.
Yes, it will ask if you want to remain on and if you don't click in time, it will shut off.

But what possible reason could there be to choose to power via usb when you could be using the Rugged Mount? Powering via USB is a recipe for failure. Failure from water getting into the connection in the rain, and failure from the connector itself wearing out.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #3637
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Amigos por Favor....any solution for post #3623 ....>

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...88775&page=242

Thank you..
Linking to the page does not work. Try linking to the message by clicking its number at the top right of the message itself.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #3638
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Hi Emmbeedee..this is what I wrote....

Routes from BaseCamp...

This might have been covered somewhere here but once again: I drew backroad "routes" across a State then send them to the Montana. Checked the transfer to the Montana for the routes in that State and by zooming them in I noticed that they are all straight lined rather than follwing the exact contoured drawn routes of those in BaseCamp.

Must I physically be at the trail head, not checking from my armchair in order to get exact contoured road following routes? And how do I remove the hundreds of waypoint pins...this might be the problem?

Thank you...
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #3639
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Must I physically be at the trail head, not checking from my armchair in order to get exact contoured road following routes? And how do I remove the hundreds of waypoint pins...this might be the problem?
I'm not too sure what the solution is, but it sounds like an "activity" type problem. Your gps is set to a different activity type than was used to plan the route?

Or perhaps different maps being used in the construction of the route than are on the gps, perhaps?

Do you want to share the route to see if we get the same thing you do? You should be able to simulate the route in demo mode without having to be there at the trail head to see it.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #3640
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Hi Emmbeedee..this is what I wrote....

Routes from BaseCamp...

This might have been covered somewhere here but once again: I drew backroad "routes" across a State then send them to the Montana. Checked the transfer to the Montana for the routes in that State and by zooming them in I noticed that they are all straight lined rather than follwing the exact contoured drawn routes of those in BaseCamp.

Thank you...
You can "View" the route in the Route Manager. You do not have to be at the trailhead. However, you didn't say what maps you have loading on the Montana or what Activity the route is using.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #3641
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

@ TravellingStrom just got off the line with Garmin USA about my battery. they can only ship out to north & south America. you need to contact Garmin Europe +44 023 8052 4000
Old 05-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #3642
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
@ TravellingStrom just got off the line with Garmin USA about my battery. they can only ship out to north & south America. you need to contact Garmin Europe +44 023 8052 4000
There are probably more than a few spare batteries kicking around from people having to send their Montanas back to Garmin. We have a spare at home we kept when we sent our 650 in for exchange.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #3643
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
You can "View" the route in the Route Manager. You do not have to be at the trailhead. However, you didn't say what maps you have loading on the Montana or what Activity the route is using.
Sorry for being so Basic among you Gurus..am pretty much a newbie. I have CNNA 2012.4 and use BaseCamp. Created/drawn Routes from BaseCamp were send to the Montana 650-(Beta update-4.04). Actvity,hmmnn: Nuvi; motorcycle(mudslinger);

Yes, I can view the route in Route manager..but there's no "GO" when the route is displayed. The route is cluttered with hundreds of "Pins". From each "pin"(waypoint) to the next the lines of travel are straigh not following the curves of the roads(backroads). What I am trying to do is draw the TAT(Trans America Trail) maps onto BaseCamp when both the TAT map and BaseCamp are within the same map ratios using either routes or tracks when needed. Then send them to the Montana!

Thank you...
Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #3644
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I'm not too sure what the solution is, but it sounds like an "activity" type problem. Your gps is set to a different activity type than was used to plan the route?

Or perhaps different maps being used in the construction of the route than are on the gps, perhaps?

Do you want to share the route to see if we get the same thing you do? You should be able to simulate the route in demo mode without having to be there at the trail head to see it.
Activity type of problem ?? Please educate me in this regard..am pretty much a noob. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #3645
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Sorry for being so Basic among you Gurus..am pretty much a newbie. I have CNNA 2012.4 and use BaseCamp. Created/drawn Routes from BaseCamp were send to the Montana 650-(Beta update-4.04). Actvity,hmmnn: Nuvi; motorcycle(mudslinger);

Yes, I can view the route in Route manager..but there's no "GO" when the route is displayed. The route is cluttered with hundreds of "Pins". From each "pin"(waypoint) to the next the lines of travel are straigh not following the curves of the roads(backroads). What I am trying to do is draw the TAT(Trans America Trail) maps onto BaseCamp when both the TAT map and BaseCamp are within the same map ratios using either routes or tracks when needed. Then send them to the Montana!

Thank you...
No worries. Interesting that there is not a Go button - haven't seen that before. Is CNNA on the Montana and activated?

This doesn't answer your questions, but for the TAT, I'd be drawing tracks and not routes. Why? Because you don't want the Montana changing/recalculating the route from the planing route. As an example, below is a track of the TAT that I downloaded and then converted to a route. As you can see, BaseCamp's routing algorithm has decided to take different roads at times.

The Montana has a mode where is doesn't recalculate routes created in BaseCamp but I wouldn't want to take the chance that it would. For this type of planning, I would first load all the waypoints from the roll chart into BaseCamp. Then I would use those to create a route and see how accurate the route is. Once I get an accurate route I'd convert it into a track and download that to the Montana. I would also download the route.

I'll try downloading the route I just created for the Nevada section and see if I get what you are seeing.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote