ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #3646
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post
Just got my 600 and am leaving on a trip in the morning.The basics are pretty simple and I can learn as I go,but right now I need to figure out how to get the speed and direction to display on the map screen without reading all 244 pages........Any help out there ?

Thanks
Go to the map screen, select Menu, Setup Map, Dashboard and choose the one you want from many with those attributes.

Automotive, Small Data Fields, Large Data Fields, Custom will all give you what you want, with a little fiddling to make the right data fields show up. ie, they may show different data than what you want but just select the data field you want to change and make it so.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #3647
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
GOT IT !!! Thanks
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #3648
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
GOT IT !!! Thanks
Just remember, if anything goes wrong, restart it :). (also, maybe put something like an ear plug in the battery compartment before you leave). I find mine still shuts off at times, but that is doing things like switching profiles in the middle of a route,etc.

Off topic, I started out this afternoon to go buy gas. Not far down the road I forgot all about the gas and started exploring. I am way up on top of a mountain and remember "oh Crap, I need gas"!
I switched the bike computer to the "miles to empty" screen and it read 40. Hit my shortcut on the GPS for "gas services". 7 miles down the road, view, GO, and away we went. Since I had no idea where I really was, Sure glad I got this GPS :)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #3649
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
[Here's an example of a camera screen shot of the Montana:
COLOR=darkorange]Moto-treks..[/COLOR]

CN North America NT 2012.4 is alive and well-activated sitting in the Montana..

You can see they're all straight lines and no "GO" window. ....
The info box with the coordinates, and the RED pin, shows you are in the scroll and/or "make a waypoint" screen and the GO button disappears when you do that. Use the back button and you should get back to the screen with the GO button.

Check this post.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #3650
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,893
Quote:
Just got my 600 and am leaving on a trip in the morning.The basics are pretty simple and I can learn as I go,but right now I need to figure out how to get the speed and direction to display on the map screen without reading all 244 pages........Any help out there ?

Thanks
best thing to do is just start using it. take it everywhere, keep going through all the menus.
Montana has an initial steep learning curve. but once you get over initial hump it gets much easier.
beta 4.04 has a help menu that accelerates learning.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #3651
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Was just reviewing what I wrote about mounts earlier today and realized I forgot to mention that the Rugged Mount includes screen protectors, then I thought about the guy who broke his touch screen when removing the ZAGG protector, so one thing led to another, and so the latest "Wisdom and FAQ" post deals with protectors...

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 08:46 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #3652
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Off topic, I started out this afternoon to go buy gas. Not far down the road I forgot all about the gas and started exploring. I am way up on top of a mountain and remember "oh Crap, I need gas"!
I switched the bike computer to the "miles to empty" screen and it read 40. Hit my shortcut on the GPS for "gas services". 7 miles down the road, view, GO, and away we went. Since I had no idea where I really was, Sure glad I got this GPS :)
Mind telling us just what steps you took to set up this shortcut? I get as far as the where to?, but all I see then is my waypoints, not any options for services. (Ver. 4.04.)
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #3653
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You can 'Nuke' double posts. Go to 'Edit'...
I just figured that out at about the same time you posted!!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #3654
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Mind telling us just what steps you took to set up this shortcut? I get as far as the where to?, but all I see then is my waypoints, not any options for services. (Ver. 4.04.)
It's not a shortcut per say. You can Add this Where To? Application to your Main Menu's or Drawer during Setup. Just select Add (+), Application and Where To? -> then select the service/location you are interested in and the appropriate Icon will be added to your Menu/Drawer.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #3655
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 254
Well, in the past 24 hours I've made some great progress in getting this new fangeled Montana figured out....

To start with, I downloaded Basecamp. I then got my hands on some great routable maps from OSM. Of course the maps wouldn't fit on the memory of the stock Garmin, so I had to upgrade the SD card. After some (much) struggling and reading pages and pages of info here, I made a few routes on Basecamp and uploaded them (and the OSM map) to the Garmin. Sweet!

So I was thumbing through the routes on the Garmin and it appears as if sometimes the routes are actually routes and sometimes they just show up as straight lines in between the beginning and ending waypoints. Why, oh why does this happen? When I first tap to see a route, it always shows up (momentarily) as a straight line and then usually shows up as a route after a second or two of seemingly deep thought occurring inside the Montana's brain.

Any ideas about this conundrum? I'm leaving on a trip from So Cal to Portland in a month and my goal is to take more dirt miles than pavement miles and I hope I'm not being a fool by depending on this device. ;)
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #3656
wtiger
Submariner

Oddometer: 144
Tracks?

Does the montana hold 200 tracks at 10000 points each? or is it 10000 points total?
thx
wtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #3657
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
The info box with the coordinates, and the RED pin, shows you are in the scroll and/or "make a waypoint" screen and the GO button disappears when you do that. Use the back button and you should get back to the screen with the GO button.

Check this post.

Bob
What Bob said

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #3658
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Moto-treks..

Here's an example of a camera screen shot of the Montana:

CN North America NT 2012.4 is alive and well-activated sitting in the Montana..

You can see they're all straight lines and no "GO" window.

Oh, sure "Tracks" are better but the Eastern TAT section is sooo easy to " follow route" while the western will all be "Tracks" only. UNderstand about it might re-route but plan to shut this off. My problem as said before no "go" button and routes don't follow the contour of the backroads. Just wonder once I get on the trail head I will still have the route on the Montana and will see "myself" taging along it even thought no "GO" start button. So if I do a Master Reset what might be the caveats!/
To me, it looks like the "Direct" activity is selected for this route. If you pick "Where To->Routes" and then select this route does the Montana calculate a route? If not, try changing the activity on the Montana while the route is your current active route to something like Automobile Driving or Cycling; Where To->Change Route Activity

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #3659
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtiger View Post
Does the montana hold 200 tracks at 10000 points each? or is it 10000 points total?
thx
This has become a moving target. As of v4.04beta, I currently have 200 Tracks in my Track Manager several of the Tracks are over 10,000 points and one Track is 34,421 points. They ALL will show on the map at the same time!

So, currently the limit is 200 Tracks in your Track Manager and unlimited Tracks in Archive. I don't know what the single Track point limit is yet (with v4.04) nor do I know what the total "Show On Map" point count is. Let's just say I doubt you will exceed it at this point.
Ooops, I had my "filter" on. . . Let's try this again....standby.

Okay, I reloaded my test Tracks package of 200 Tracks of various point counts: a total of 302,995 points. Some of those tracks were 10,000 points. As long as no single Track is over 10,000pts all 200 can be displayed on the Map. Any Track over 10,000pts will be truncated at that 10K. I don't expect this will change so this should probably go in the "wisdom" thread.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 04:07 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #3660
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
To start with, I downloaded Basecamp. I then got my hands on some great routable maps from OSM. Of course the maps wouldn't fit on the memory of the stock Garmin, so I had to upgrade the SD card. After some (much) struggling and reading pages and pages of info here, I made a few routes on Basecamp and uploaded them (and the OSM map) to the Garmin. Sweet!

So I was thumbing through the routes on the Garmin and it appears as if sometimes the routes are actually routes and sometimes they just show up as straight lines in between the beginning and ending waypoints. Why, oh why does this happen? When I first tap to see a route, it always shows up (momentarily) as a straight line and then usually shows up as a route after a second or two of seemingly deep thought occurring inside the Montana's brain.

Any ideas about this conundrum? I'm leaving on a trip from So Cal to Portland in a month and my goal is to take more dirt miles than pavement miles and I hope I'm not being a fool by depending on this device. ;)

What? You're not willing to read through 244 pages of posts to find the answer?

I did, and I have a Word document that has excerpts from all of them that I thought relevant to my use of the beast. If you PM me with your
email, I'll be happy to send it to you. (it is rather large, but a whole lot smaller than 244 pages!)

The short answer is:
A:
1. Start with the same map selected in Basecamp and the Montana.
2. If it is a routable map, select the same activity (motorcycling) in the drop down menu in BC and in the Setup>Routing page on the Montana.
3, Create your route in BC, using as many Via points as necessary to get it to autoroute the way you want it to. (if it takes more than about 10, see next section)
4. Upload it to the Montana, select it in Route Planner, and zoom in on the map to be sure it comes close to what you set in BC. If it does not, you may not have enough via points or one is not in a critical position. The autorouting should be close, but may not be identical.
Generally, I use a Via point at any place where the autorouting has a choice that I want to set to a certain road, and I set the point just a few hundred feet down that road. You will do a lot of zooming during the creation process.

B:
1. If it is not a routable map, set both activities to Direct and create a route with as many points as necessary to get the route line to follow your intended route closely enough so as to admit no confusion. (may be a hundred, limit is two hundred).
3. Upload. There is no need to check since Montana will not recalc direct routes.

At this point, you may decide that converting this direct route to a track (in BC before transfer) is a better choice, because a track can have hundreds of points, allowing minute control over the route. However, you will not have any alerting, although you could alert by creating proximity warnings for critical turns (kinda cumbersome).

What I think you will find is that as you get farther and farther from civilization on maps that are supposedly routable the flakier autorouting becomes, until it is just too frustrating to use. This is where you switch to a direct route.
If you are in terrain that is inherently confusing, with a real maze of dirt roads and trails, direct routing is the only safe option. Also, keeping a track is a real good idea in those circumstances, since it simply can't make a mistake by its very nature, and will always get you back out the way you came.

One of the problems we will always have is that way out in the boonies the maps often don't correspond with the present reality and will try to take you on roads that no longer exist or miss new ones....same problem with paper. Welcome to the wonderful world of cartography! This is why I always like to have a decent, fairly new small scale (detailed) paper map with me at all times. Usually the mistakes are not identical, and often the paper map will allow you to realize that the route you planned on the software is not viable, or vice versa.

Thinking about how to best accomplish the above, it makes sense to create two new profiles, one to autoroute and one to direct route, perhaps changing to a topo as well. I really prefer topo maps, preferably at 1:24,000, for the boonies. Even if the roads are in the wrong place on the loaded map you can often figure out how they might have changed just by the topography. Modern road builders simply don't route over cliffs...

Best of luck!

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 12:54 PM