ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #3646
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Activity type of problem ?? Please educate me in this regard..am pretty much a noob. Thank you!
DRTBYK created an article on Basecamp which describes the activity types and a whole lot more: http://globeriders.com/article_pages...basecamp.shtml

Here's a screen shot from that article:

:
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #3647
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
Downloaded my TAT route and viewed in the Route Planner->View

Notice the GO button. This button will disappear if I zoom-in or scroll the map. I did zoom-in on a section and the route does follow the roads.

Notice - no GO button

I have the same version of CNNA and Montana beta as you. Maybe you should try the Master Reset.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #3648
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
.... What I am trying to do is draw the TAT(Trans America Trail) maps onto BaseCamp when both the TAT map and BaseCamp are within the same map ratios using either routes or tracks when needed. Then send them to the Montana! ...
I took a different approach when I converted my TAT maps/roadbook to a GPS format. I was using CNNA NT 2008 and found that most of the TAT I was riding was actually a "road" on CNNA, so I just used the Routing Tool for those sections. When I came to a section that didn't have a road available, I used Direct Routing and worked from Sam's highlighted paper maps and used multiple waypoints.

The composite route was then converted into an uploadable transparent overlay map (MapEdit, cGPSmapper, MapsetToolkit) that gets loaded into my GPS and displays over CNNA, TOPO USA, US Roads & Recreation or whatever is the current map. It also can be enabled/disabled like any other map. It's a lot of work but I think it's better than working with routes and tracks if your GPS is "track limited" like the zumo's and CSx's we were using (this was a 2009 ride).

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #3649
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I took a different approach when I converted my TAT maps/roadbook to a GPS format. I was using CNNA NT 2008 and found that most of the TAT I was riding was actually a "road" on CNNA, so I just used the Routing Tool for those sections. When I came to a section that didn't have a road available, I used Direct Routing and worked from Sam's highlighted paper maps and used multiple waypoints.

The composite route was then converted into an uploadable transparent overlay map (MapEdit, cGPSmapper, MapsetToolkit) that gets loaded into my GPS and displays over CNNA, TOPO USA, US Roads & Recreation or whatever is the current map. It also can be enabled/disabled like any other map. It's a lot of work but I think it's better than working with routes and tracks if your GPS is "track limited" like the zumo's and CSx's we were using (this was a 2009 ride).

Bob
If you can create a GPX with the tracks you want as a map overlay, it's pretty easy to use IMGfromGPX to create it. I've done that with all the class 4 roads and legal trails in Vermont, and although there are some limitations (e.g. they all show up at all zoom levels, making a state-level overview map virtually unreadable), it's rather helpful to be able to glance at the OSM map and know "OK, that road has a class 4 / legal trail overlay showing on, it's probably not something I want to try with full luggage and without knobbies" rather than getting the "this road gets smaller and smaller" scenario.

With a single track, simply turning the track display on in the GPS is certainly an option, too, but the ability to select a bunch of features and export to one GPX file and then turn it into an overlay with thousands of points is a great option, IMO.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #3650
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

The latest post on the Montana Wisdom and FAQ thread is about the various mounts available for the Montana

Hope it's of some use...
Old 05-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #3651
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmbeedee View Post
the latest post on the montana wisdom and faq thread is about the various mounts available for the montana

hope it's of some use...
100%
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #3652
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
100%
Thanks.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #3653
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Moto-treks..

Here's an example of a camera screen shot of the Montana:

CN North America NT 2012.4 is alive and well-activated sitting in the Montana..

You can see they're all straight lines and no "GO" window.

Oh, sure "Tracks" are better but the Eastern TAT section is sooo easy to " follow route" while the western will all be "Tracks" only. UNderstand about it might re-route but plan to shut this off. My problem as said before no "go" button and routes don't follow the contour of the backroads. Just wonder once I get on the trail head I will still have the route on the Montana and will see "myself" taging along it even thought no "GO" start button. So if I do a Master Reset what might be the caveats!/

BobM...said....

"I took a different approach when I converted my TAT maps/roadbook to a GPS format. I was using CNNA NT 2008 and found that most of the TAT I was riding was actually a "road" on CNNA, so I just used the Routing Tool for those sections. When I came to a section that didn't have a road available, I used Direct Routing and worked from Sam's highlighted paper maps and used multiple waypoints."

I use the same approach as you..Thanks
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #3654
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Thanks.
Yeah, perfect timing on the mount information as I have just started a complete rebuild of everything on my Dirt come DS bike and soon will be buying a GPS (probably) Montana 600 and now to be in (probably) a Rugged Mount, mounted on a custom Carbon Fiber Dash Panel with other DS electronic goodies.

Cheers for the concise detail
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #3655
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Yeah, perfect timing on the mount information as I have just started a complete rebuild of everything on my Dirt come DS bike and soon will be buying a GPS (probably) Montana 600 and now to be in (probably) a Rugged Mount, mounted on a custom Carbon Fiber Dash Panel with other DS electronic goodies.

Cheers for the concise detail
I added a little information I thought of later re: using a lanyard, and locking the unit with the Torx screw in the Rugged Mount as insurance that the unit is installed properly...
Old 05-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #3656
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I added a little information I thought of later re: using a lanyard, and locking the unit with the Torx screw in the Rugged Mount as insurance that the unit is installed properly...

Hopefully you're saying that the lanyard is added insurance. (which it is)

You can lock in the top and secure the torx screw without having the bottom properly seated.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #3657
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
Call Garmin direct ... someone posted earlier about getting a refurbished Montana when it's not possible to send problem GPS back in first. cost is about $190. then sent your old montana back to get your $$$ back.

sounds like your li-ion battery is suspect. if you have a volt meter?
measure DC volts from contact nearest to edge of battery to other 3 contacts.
battery appears to be a lithium cobalt battery with 3 internal cells wired in parallel.

on my battery, two cells reads 4.0v, one cell reads 3.3v
so I've got one cell getting ready to die.
lithium cobalt batteries are fully charged at 4.2v .. dead at 3.0v
when cell drops below 3.5v it's effectively dead.

montana will only charge li-ion battery from cradle. if problem is isolated to li-ion battery. operate montana with 3x AA rechargeable. then take out 3x AA battery out to recharge when needed.
Thanks for that info, when the rain stops I will measure the battery, I am running 3 AA now

Cheers
TS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #3658
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
loose battery is one possibility, that why it'd be worth measuring voltage of battery to determine if battery is dead. if battery internal cells measures 3.6v to 4.2v, then it's within normal operating range. put an soft foam ear plug under battery cover to tighten battery.

if it's not a loose battery connection. call Garmin direct to get replacement battery or refurbished montana
I already have the ear plug under, I am an electronic tech and isolated the fact the battery is kaput, just concerned it may have damaged the on board power circuit

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 05-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #3659
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
@ TravellingStrom just got off the line with Garmin USA about my battery. they can only ship out to north & south America. you need to contact Garmin Europe +44 023 8052 4000
Brilliant, thanks mate

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 05-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #3660
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Just got my 600 and am leaving on a trip in the morning.The basics are pretty simple and I can learn as I go,but right now I need to figure out how to get the speed and direction to display on the map screen without reading all 244 pages........Any help out there ?

Thanks
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote