ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 170 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #3751
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Due to this limitation, what I do is build my Along-road routes in BaseCamp as normal. Then, when I'm happy in how they are routed I set the activity for that route to Direct. I then download the route to the Montana. I now have a route thats editable and when viewed/used in the Montana, the Montana will calculate the route based on the current routing activity.

It's a little PIA but, IMO, having a route that is not editable in the Montana makes the route unusable

That's great! I had been narrowing down on some form of this workaround, but so far had only re-converted all my BC routes to Direct. I'd been having so much trouble with autorouting that I'd almost given up on using BC to do it.

So, for example, the using the same CNNA map on both, you massage the autoroute in BC with via points and waypoints as needed until it routes correctly, reset activity to direct in the route properties pane, upload it, and then when you set the Montana route activity to automotive or motorcyle with only the basemap and CNNA enabled, it will recalculate a very close approximation of the original BC autoroute?

This I gotta see!! I've only been trying for two months to get a repeatable autoroute in the Montana!!!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #3752
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
So Garmin wouldn't cut you a deal, recognizing you made a mistake? Did you phone them?
Oh yes, they were very good about it. The DVD should be in my mailbox when I get home.

I didn't see where it said anywhere that if you get the download you can't use the lifetime updater on it. But I could have missed it. I wanted that instant gratification of the download and screwed up. I was very grateful that Garmin was understanding and accommodating.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #3753
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
So, for example, the using the same CNNA map on both, you massage the autoroute in BC with via points and waypoints as needed until it routes correctly, reset activity to direct in the route properties pane, upload it, and then when you set the Montana route activity to automotive or motorcyle with only the basemap and CNNA enabled, it will recalculate a very close approximation of the original BC autoroute?
Yes. I use Motorcycle. I needed to set the avoidances the same in BC and the Montana also the Calculation Mode to Shortest Distance, but after that the calculated maps have been then same on BC and the Montana. If not, you can edit in the Montana

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #3754
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Oh yes, they were very good about it. The DVD should be in my mailbox when I get home.

I didn't see where it said anywhere that if you get the download you can't use the lifetime updater on it. But I could have missed it. I wanted that instant gratification of the download and screwed up. I was very grateful that Garmin was understanding and accommodating.
Must say, I'm not surprised...

Good for you, and great PR for Garmin too.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #3755
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Must say, I'm not surprised...

Good for you, and great PR for Garmin too.

I was surprised. I have had bad experiences in the past with them (when my gps was the 276c). There were lots of complaints about them back then. So I kind of expected a hassle. But they've apparently changed their ways. I'm happy with them now.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #3756
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
I was surprised. I have had bad experiences in the past with them (when my gps was the 276c). There were lots of complaints about them back then. So I kind of expected a hassle. But they've apparently changed their ways. I'm happy with them now.
They replaced an Oregon for us after the warranty had run out 6 months before. Granted, it was a repeat problem, but they didn't have to. And they offered me a half price refurb deal on a 780 long after the warranty had expired.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #3757
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
I agree, Garmin has always been good to me when I call. Replacing units for defective screens after the warranty was the latest That's one of the reasons I keep buying their stuff

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #3758
simon crewe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I read with interest Nibby trying to install a camera database to the montana.

I have downloaded via poi loader a 'gpi' camera file for the UK from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ , they also do the rest of the world as well.

Now the problem! I can see the file on the SD card on the montana, however I cannot find 'Extras' displayed as in emmbeedee's post.

The website I got the gpi file from states that there is a glitch in the Garmin poi loader software, that if you download the file to the unit instead of the SD drive it will not work.

Is it likely to be an incompatible file or a fault with my montana? Any clues gladly received- we have a lot of speed cameras in the UK!!!!!!!!!

Simon
simon crewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #3759
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon crewe View Post
Is it likely to be an incompatible file or a fault with my montana?
No possibility of "Defective User"? Just kidding, of course.

Can you see the file on your sd card?

This:

gives me this on mine:

Old 05-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #3760
simon crewe
Adventurer

Hi Emmbeedee,

It probably is the user! I can see the 'gpi' file that I have downloaded on to the card, however, when I go onto the montana there is no menu item for 'Extras'

It is as if it is not present or has been deleted, the other items such as 'Cities' and POI's are there

Simon
Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #3761
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Hi Emmbeedee,

It probably is the user! I can see the 'gpi' file that I have downloaded on to the card, however, when I go onto the montana there is no menu item for 'Extras'

It is as if it is not present or has been deleted, the other items such as 'Cities' and POI's are there

Simon
Did you reload the file to the card using POILoader or did you copy the folder over?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #3762
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Due to this limitation, what I do is build my Along-road routes in BaseCamp as normal. Then, when I'm happy in how they are routed I set the activity for that route to Direct. I then download the route to the Montana. I now have a route thats editable and when viewed/used in the Montana, the Montana will calculate the route based on the current routing activity.

It's a little PIA but, IMO, having a route that is not editable in the Montana makes the route unusable
Can you [briefly] describe why editing a transferred route on the Montana is important to you? Putting it in terms of a Use Case (workflow) would be very helpful - something like:
  • Spent lots of time creating Routexxx in BaseCamp.
  • Transfer Routexxx to Montana.
  • Montana renders Routexxx perfectly without recalculating the path.
  • I need to change Routexxx on the Montana before navigating because I. . .
  • This is not the same as adding a Via Point while navigating because. . .

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #3763
simon crewe
Adventurer

Emmbeedee,

I downloaded the gpi file to my lap top and then used POI loader to transfer just the original file itself no folder.

Hope that makes sense, the gpi file is sitting on the SD card in the 'Garmin' folder
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #3764
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Emmbeedee,

I downloaded the gpi file to my lap top and then used POI loader to transfer just the original file itself no folder.

Hope that makes sense, the gpi file is sitting on the SD card in the 'Garmin' folder
The file needs to be in a directory called poi, in the Garmin folder, as in the screen shot I posted earlier.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #3765
simon crewe
Adventurer

Emmbeedee,

Thats cracked it! Extras has appeared as if by magic. Many thanks.

One final question, when I now go into extras I see 'All Databases' and each individual camera listed.

If I select an individual camera it shows it on the map with a flag of what the speed is, if I select 'all databases' you then can't see them on the map. Would I be correct in saying that the unit will just offer an 'alert' via the tones as you approach a camera?