ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #3766
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon crewe View Post
Would I be correct in saying that the unit will just offer an 'alert' via the tones as you approach a camera?
That's the general idea. You don't need to set anything individually, as long as you have a tone set for the alert in Setup\Tones.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #3767
Rocky TFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Can you [briefly] describe why editing a transferred route on the Montana is important to you?
Cheers,
I dunno about Mototreks, but for me the ONLY reason is so I can reverse it.....critically important....I don't want to have to make a reversed duplicate of every route I ever created!

Editing and reversing are tied together AFAIK, thus the requirement to do it Moto's way.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #3768
gsyogi
Seeker

Oddometer: 19
Best Way to Mount Montana to R 1200 GS?

I am planning on purchasing a Garmin Montana 650t (I apologize in advance if I have missed this answer in this robust thread; however, I have completed multiple searches and have yet to find anything precisely on point) for my 2011 R 1200 GS. Anyway, what is the best way to connect this to my bike? RAM or the “Rugged Mount” or the Touratech locking system and then RAM/bar/cockpit? … I presently use the Touratech locking mount and RAM mount on my F 800 GS for my Garmin 60csx—excellent system. I have read that the Touratech mount doesn’t offer much in additional security for the $$$, however, I am inclined to go that route … however, what is the best way to attach that system to the bike, i.e., RAM system on the bars, or above the cockpit, using the Touratech “GPS Mounting Bracket, BMW R 1200 GS, 2004-on”? Can anyone direct me to photos of various installations? Thanks in advance.
gsyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #3769
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
I dunno about Mototreks, but for me the ONLY reason is so I can reverse it.....critically important....I don't want to have to make a reversed duplicate of every route I ever created!

Editing and reversing are tied together AFAIK, thus the requirement to do it Moto's way.
Good answer - thanks.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #3770
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
I thought BMW required a Touratech mount otherwise the bike wouldn't start.

I think the rugged mount is fine for 99% of people.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #3771
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsyogi View Post
I am planning on purchasing a Garmin Montana 650t (I apologize in advance if I have missed this answer in this robust thread; however, I have completed multiple searches and have yet to find anything precisely on point) for my 2011 R 1200 GS. Anyway, what is the best way to connect this to my bike? RAM or the “Rugged Mount” or the Touratech locking system and then RAM/bar/cockpit? … I presently use the Touratech locking mount and RAM mount on my F 800 GS for my Garmin 60csx—excellent system. I have read that the Touratech mount doesn’t offer much in additional security for the $$$, however, I am inclined to go that route … however, what is the best way to attach that system to the bike, i.e., RAM system on the bars, or above the cockpit, using the Touratech “GPS Mounting Bracket, BMW R 1200 GS, 2004-on”? Can anyone direct me to photos of various installations? Thanks in advance.
Aside from suggesting you don't use easily removable RAM parts, I don't have any suggestions re how to mount the TT onto a R1200GS since I don't have either. Even Google seems strangely devoid of pictures of that combination.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #3772
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsyogi View Post
This is in this thread early on...but, here is my recommended placement and method for mounting the Montana w/AMPS Rugged Mount on a 2011 GS Adventure. You can add the Touratech "cockpit bar" for the GS to enable the same positioning above the instruments.

I do think the Touratech Montana Locking Mount has merit but it doesn't support rotating the Montana so you can take advantage of the Portrait mode. I prefer Portrait mode so I can see more of what's ahead of me unless I'm in a city where I actually like Landscape mode so I can see more of what's "around" me - incase I have to "turn Right, NOW!"

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #3773
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
I think the rugged mount is fine for 99% of people.
That's excluding the LC4 640 owners. Additional vibration damping in the mount will keep the electronics alive a bit longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I do think the Touratech Montana Locking Mount has merit but it doesn't support rotating the Montana so you can take advantage of the Portrait mode. I prefer Portrait mode so I can see more of what's ahead of me unless I'm in a city where I actually like Landscape mode so I can see more of what's "around" me - incase I have to "turn Right, NOW!"
I think they have a RAM ball joint adapter which allows rotating. I just ordered one, so I really hope it works like that.

- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #3774
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
I think they have a RAM ball joint adapter which allows rotating. I just ordered one, so I really hope it works like that.
As long as you don't come back to the bike and find the TT mount has been stolen.

This is my theft resistant RAM mount system.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #3775
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
As long as you don't come back to the bike and find the TT mount has been stolen.

This is my theft resistant RAM mount system.

What makes it theft resistant? Loctite and rounded nut?
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #3776
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:
just did the same thing. remove quick change nut in favor of conventional nut.
mount is still removable, requires a wrench instead of no tools knob.

screwing down tamper resistant bolt and replacing quick change knob with conventional nut. makes Montana fairly secure on your bike. IHMO this combo makes the tourtech locking mount unnecessary.

rugged mount screwed down combined with locking nut makes removing Montana without tools all but impossible without damage. takes away the casual grab option.

_cy_ screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 02:56 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #3777
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,084
I have more issues with the unit thinking I am running a non-Garmin battery, yet all it has in is the Garmin cell. I have never used AA cells.
Why does the unit need to tell me where the battery came from?
I have put in a spare battery now, and yes of Garmin origin, and the fault seems to have cleared. The old battery has some polish marks on the pin-touch-pads but nothing i would be concerned about......?

I'd like to think there is an official fix for this, along with the moving about of the Garmin cell, which may be the cause of my issues.....

And, I still think the unit is fantastic when it's in full-flight, perfect for my game.

Timpo.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #3778
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I'd like to think there is an official fix for this, along with the moving about of the Garmin cell, which may be the cause of my issues.....

And, I still think the unit is fantastic when it's in full-flight, perfect for my game.

Timpo.
It's not an 'official' fix but an earplug between the cover and the battery does fix the problem.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #3779
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
As _CY_ mentioned, it's just not as quick to remove if a wrench is needed. Stops the theft of opportunity...
Old 05-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #3780
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It's not an 'official' fix but an earplug between the cover and the battery does fix the problem.
I had the very same problem on mine on the very first trip I took with it. Thanks to having read all the good advice in this thread I just pulled over and used the earplug fix. Problem disappeared and hasn't returned.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote