ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #3766
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Can you [briefly] describe why editing a transferred route on the Montana is important to you? Putting it in terms of a Use Case (workflow) would be very helpful - something like:
  • Spent lots of time creating Routexxx in BaseCamp.
  • Transfer Routexxx to Montana.
  • Montana renders Routexxx perfectly without recalculating the path.
  • I need to change Routexxx on the Montana before navigating because I. . .
  • This is not the same as adding a Via Point while navigating because. . .

Cheers,
I use the GPS for multi-day trips and do my trip planning in BaseCamp by building multiple "planned" routes and then transfer them to the GPS. While on a trip, I often change my "plan" and need to modify a route by combining two routes, following a route for only the first half and then proceeding in a completely different direction or start off on a different direction but need to rejoin the original planned route at some point. Without editing capabilities, I need to rebuild a route to accomplish these two requirements. Additionally, while on the trip and planning the next days ride, I need to know distances so that I can judge fuel requirements and validate the route can be completed in a days available daylight.

If I want a non-editable path to follow then I'll use the track capabilities of the Montana.

Via points are great for that spur-of-the-moment , "lets stop over there" modification to the current active route. However, they are not saved and therefore, don't work while sitting around at night planing the next days ride.

A Route Copy function would be nice too. If Garmin wants to keep the current methodology of "Don't modify that BaseCamp non-direct route" then duplicating the route and editing the copy would be the next best thing.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #3767
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
A Route Copy function would be nice too.
That's a really good suggestion... probably no reason why they can't do that.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #3768
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
I think the rugged mount is fine for 99% of people.
The other 1% ers are already rugged enough, presumably.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #3769
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It's not an 'official' fix but an earplug between the cover and the battery does fix the problem.
I went "high tech" (well I have to since I ride a BMW) and put foam tape on the back of the battery.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #3770
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I went "high tech" (well I have to since I ride a BMW) and put foam tape on the back of the battery.
I ride a BMW as well. That's why all I can afford to put in there is an ear plug.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #3771
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Can you [briefly] describe why editing a transferred route on the Montana is important to you? Putting it in terms of a Use Case (workflow) would be very helpful - something like:
  • Spent lots of time creating Routexxx in BaseCamp.
  • Transfer Routexxx to Montana.
  • Montana renders Routexxx perfectly without recalculating the path.
  • I need to change Routexxx on the Montana before navigating because I. . .
  • This is not the same as adding a Via Point while navigating because. . .

Cheers,
How about this:

Got between Waypoint F and Waypoint G to find out that the class 4 road was not repaired after it got washed out last fall, and I want to reroute while preserving my original intent (ride as much gravel / dirt as possible) while still being time-reasonable given that I now need to detour 25 miles to the next road over the mountains.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #3772
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,899
Question

Anyone know of a physical store in the San Diego area that might have the rugged mount in stock? I'm just passing through and need a mount.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #3773
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon crewe View Post
Emmbeedee,

I downloaded the gpi file to my lap top and then used POI loader to transfer just the original file itself no folder.

Hope that makes sense, the gpi file is sitting on the SD card in the 'Garmin' folder
As a bump reference, I decoded and posted a tips&tricks for Montana custom POIs and symbols, seemingly a lifetime ago. Definitely a few tricks to the process for anyone else interested.

Here's the linky to the original post.

Emmbeedee, if you think it's value add, feel free to copy/paste any of that content to your montana adv wiki
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #3774
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
As a bump reference, I decoded and posted a tips&tricks for Montana custom POIs and symbols, seemingly a lifetime ago. Definitely a few tricks to the process for anyone else interested.

Here's the linky to the original post.

Emmbeedee, if you think it's value add, feel free to copy/paste any of that content to your montana adv wiki
Wow, that post is full of useful information. Thanks for offering it for the Wisdom and FAQ thread - I think I will use it, and give you credit for it, of course. I think the subject needs to be introduced properly so people know it's not "required", in the use of POIs, but is more of an advanced level of POI use.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #3775
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Done! I posted the Custom Waypoint and Custom POI info to the Wisdom and FAQ thread.

Thanks for offering that.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #3776
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
This is my Feature Request list "open items" for the Montana. If you like/want any of these and haven't expressed it to the Montana Team please do so. If you have others...?

Feature & Description
  1. Four Corner - Transparent Data Fields. Please provide an additional Dashboard option for Small (1/3 smaller than the current "Small") Transparent-background, Configurable Data fields in the four corners of the Map screen similar to the zumo 660's More Map View or the GPSMAP 478.
  2. Track Manager - Options. Provide a Setting tab option on the main Track Manager screen to: "Show All Tracks on Map", "Hide All Tracks on Map", "Delete All Tracks".
  3. Waypoint Categories. Support Waypoint Categories
  4. Waypoint Contact Info. Support Waypoint Contact Info Fields (Street Address, City, State, ZIP, Country, Phone #'s)
  5. Display - Screen Capture. Save Screen Capture setting in Profile
  6. Where To? Search - Along Active Route. When navigating; Option to search "Along Active Route"
  7. Power Management - Option. Keep unit on when External Power is lost as a Profile setting.
  8. Multiple Trip Odometers. Multiple Independently resettable Trip Odometers
  9. TracBack - Shortcut. One touch shortcut for TracBack
  10. Camera Settings. Provide Camera settings (Resolution and Storage Location) as part of the Profile data.
  11. Save Current Track Shortcut option. Provide a Shortcut Setting for Track - Save Current Track. Allow this setting to be combined with Clear Current Track as part of a "Save and Clear" Shortcut.
  12. Track - "Show on Map". Please save the Track "Show on Map" selection in the GPX data so that when a Track is shared with other GPS it will show on the Map as defined in the GPX data - just like Color selection is saved.
  13. Shortcut "Setup" - Indicate Option(s). Indicate the Setup Options applied to a Shortcut using # and Alfa combo for each option selected.
  14. Resettable Odometer. A Shortcut / Reset option to reset the Odometer without having to preform a Master Reset. (dacrazyrn)
  15. Data field for voltage from Mount.
  16. Display setting to allow Topo data to be hidden, showing Major and/or Minor topo lines at greater than specified zoom level.
  17. Track Manager/Waypoint Manager/Route Planner - please add the ability to "sort by Alphanumeric" to these data lists.
  18. Security Lock: "PIN" code and location support.
  19. Route Edit - Make all Routes on the Montana Editable whether created on or transferred to the Montana.

By the way, I have a spreadsheet where I track these and what version they were provided in (if any).

Cheers,
All these topics are great and the blue enlarged bolded ones are of greatest interest to me.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #3777
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
All these topics are great and the blue enlarged bolded ones are of greatest interest to me.
When I asked Garmin about item 15, I was told that the Montana does not have the hardware to support the feature.
But I guess we can still ask

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #3778
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
When I asked Garmin about item 15, I was told that the Montana does not have the hardware to support the feature.
But I guess we can still ask
Nothing wrong with asking and asking nicely, it works wonders some times. But if without hardware then that does present a difficult level of ability. Though this may sweeten the pot for getting something else done sooner, only hoping.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #3779
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Nothing wrong with asking and asking nicely, it works wonders some times. But if without hardware then that does present a difficult level of ability. Though this may sweeten the pot for getting something else done sooner, only hoping.
Blue on black is a lousy colour combination when reading. Just sayin'.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #3780
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Blue on black is a lousy colour combination when reading. Just sayin'.
Red is very bad for me. I can hardly read it when Red on Black.

I will go back to White bolded and other grammar highlights to illuminate