ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #3796
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Red is very bad for me. I can hardly read it when Red on Black.

I will go back to White bolded and other grammar highlights to illuminate
Thanks, and I'll see if I can add warnings in my posts in a colour other than red.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #3797
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Basecamp double/split image?

I'm trying to use my basecamp,and when I open it up the map area is split in 2 down the middle showing 2 identical maps. Did I accidently hit something to do that,and if so how can I get it back to seeing just one map?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #3798
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I'm trying to use my basecamp,and when I open it up the map area is split in 2 down the middle showing 2 identical maps. Did I accidently hit something to do that,and if so how can I get it back to seeing just one map?
Try looking under the View menu and see if you have an option to "View 2D Map Only". On the Mac, there is an option to "View both 2D and 3D Maps" which gives a split screen. Select the "View 2D Map Only"

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #3799
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,688
Question

Ugh.....maybe I'm going to have to read th is whole thread Somebody may need to save me here!

I have had a Garmin eTrex Legand since they originally came out. Loved it. But only carry it on the bike as an "emergency GPS" only time it ever gets turned on is rich before a trip just to make sure it still works.

I've put about 6,000 miles on my bike in the last 5 weeks from Denver to the west coast. Lots of that is dirt. Many of the guys I've talked to or riden with have a gps mounted to their bike. I've just been getting by using my iPad to plan a route and I can easily remember the turns, or same the maps for no data areas.

I've been in San Diego for a few days with not much to do (taking care of mom after a surgery). So I tracked down the only Garmin Montana within 100 miles. Road up and got it yesterday. A 650t ( it was all they had, bought at REI).

So far........I hate it!! Feel like I just stepped back into the dark ages, anyone had a match?

$600 bones and it does not even come with the basic city maps of the $100 units.....then it costs nearly that much to ad that function? WTF. My frustration is compounded by the lack of being able to find a mount locally so I can use it on the trip back to Colorado. Would love to use it to find yet another cool route home!

Seems the only way to really take advantage of this thing is to have a real computer? I've been iPad only for the last two years and love it!!! No need at all for a computer.....until I bought this chunk of old world technology!

I have this sweet Montana in my pocket but using my phone to navigate around with because I have no way to update t his thing without dropping more money that I'm not sure is worth it at this point!?

Are there advantages Im missing here? Do I need to run out and buy a computer just to use this thing?

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #3800
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Do I need to run out and buy a computer just to use this thing?
No, just borrow a friends from time to time

Moto-Treks
Old 05-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #3801
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
And don't believe the apple hype that the iPad will replace a computer.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #3802
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
When you buy a computer do you get upset that you the have to buy software to make it do what you want? Sure, you can do a lot with free software but does that suit your needs?

And no, you do not need to use a computer with the Montana. It does, however add to the functionality of the thing.

Quote:
Ugh.....maybe I'm going to have to read th is whole thread Somebody may need to save me here!

I have had a Garmin eTrex Legand since they originally came out. Loved it. But only carry it on the bike as an "emergency GPS" only time it ever gets turned on is rich before a trip just to make sure it still works.

I've put about 6,000 miles on my bike in the last 5 weeks from Denver to the west coast. Lots of that is dirt. Many of the guys I've talked to or riden with have a gps mounted to their bike. I've just been getting by using my iPad to plan a route and I can easily remember the turns, or same the maps for no data areas.

I've been in San Diego for a few days with not much to do (taking care of mom after a surgery). So I tracked down the only Garmin Montana within 100 miles. Road up and got it yesterday. A 650t ( it was all they had, bought at REI).

So far........I hate it!! Feel like I just stepped back into the dark ages, anyone had a match?

$600 bones and it does not even come with the basic city maps of the $100 units.....then it costs nearly that much to ad that function? WTF. My frustration is compounded by the lack of being able to find a mount locally so I can use it on the trip back to Colorado. Would love to use it to find yet another cool route home!

Seems the only way to really take advantage of this thing is to have a real computer? I've been iPad only for the last two years and love it!!! No need at all for a computer.....until I bought this chunk of old world technology!

I have this sweet Montana in my pocket but using my phone to navigate around with because I have no way to update t his thing without dropping more money that I'm not sure is worth it at this point!?

Are there advantages Im missing here? Do I need to run out and buy a computer just to use this thing?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #3803
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
And don't believe the apple hype that the iPad will replace a computer.
Hype? I totally replaced my computer for 2+ years ago and the ipad has done more than my computer ever did for the way I need to use it. Have not missed a slow chunky computer at all. I'm seriously considering just taking the montana back if I'm going to need to use a computer to get good functionality out of it.

02 F650GS DAKAR
Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #3804
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
When you buy a computer do you get upset that you the have to buy software to make it do what you want?
I would if I could have purchased a computer for 1/6the price that included the software!

That is part of what I don't get here. Why is this thing 6x the price as the Nuvi units that already come with the basic around town nav? For the price it should at least include the basic stuff!

02 F650GS DAKAR
Old 05-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #3805
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
I would if I could have purchased a computer for 1/6the price that included the software!

That is part of what I don't get here. Why is this thing 6x the price as the Nuvi units that already come with the basic around town nav? For the price it should at least include the basic stuff!
Take the Montana back to REI, Cole. You'll be happier. When you find another GPS that will connect to your iPad so you can update the software let me know - I've been looking for one.

Cheers,

P.S., So for two years you haven't updated the software in your iPad?
EDIT: I don't think I can let this slip by. . . you're an intelligent guy so you could have figured these things out long before you purchased the Montana...
  • The Montana's design point was to address the needs of multiple user communities: e.g, Aviation, Marine, Hicking, Bicycling, 4wheeling and 2wheeling.
  • So, Garmin did include the basics in the unit you purchased: US 100K Topo's - For Hicking!
  • Garmin didn't include City Navigator routable maps because the Marine, Aviation, Bicycling folks might not want to pay for street maps when they have to purchase Marine Charts or Aviation packages anyway.
  • You see where this is going, right?
As for why does it cost more than the $100 unit you've used, see the above. You've used an eTrex for a long time so no feigning ignorance about Garmin. Oh, and no sympathy regarding the whining over the unavailability of the AMPS Rugged Mount. When you do things spur of the moment your expectations need to be set accordingly.

I'll toss you a couple of sticks to start that fire of enlightenment you're about to embark upon with the Montana since I'm sure you can find a computer somewhere.

P.P.S, If you had a computer to attach your Montana to, you could download Free routable maps for most any place (some places better data than others).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 05:33 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #3806
moto-treks
Back Home

You can get a routable map on a microSD card for North America from Garmin, plug it into your Montanan and start navigating the roads of North America. All without a computer.

You will not be able to update the OS of the Montanan unless you find someone that will let you connect your Montanan to the computer, PC or Mac.

BTW, iOS just recently incorporated the self updating capability without a computer. I too use an iPad but it does have it's limitation. For some, it can replace a computer, for others, it can't. Just like some can use a Nuvi for their navigation needs and others find a Montanan a better fit.

REI has a great return policy. Take the Montana back and get a Nuvi. Just remember to stick it in a plastic bag when it rains

Moto-Treks
Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #3807
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Take the Montana back to REI, Cole. You'll be happier. When you find another GPS that will connect to your iPad so you can update the software let me know - I've been looking for one.

Cheers,

P.S., So for two years you haven't updated the software in your iPad?
iPad 3 . No need for a computer to update the software. Same with my Android phone.

Kinda wish for the price the Montana had the ability to do a lot of this stuff wirelessly too....

I tracked down a SD Card with the city maps today off Craiglist for a good deal today

Still have not found a mount, but will take a trip to the hardware store and make one for the trip back toward Colorado. The rugged mount should be at home by the time I get there.

Not really a complaint. Just have not had a chance to see the light with this thing yet.......maybe over the next few days on the road

Edit.....maybe I'll just use this as an excuse to buy a MacBook Air.....

02 F650GS DAKAR

Xtremjeepn screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 06:37 PM
Old 05-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #3808
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I still travel with both (MBAir & iPad3) for one reason - Garmin GPS's.

If Garmin would port BaseCamp to the iPad and support connecting Garmin GPS's via USB, the MBAir would be staying home.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #3809
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

By the way, in case y'all think I was a little hard on Cole (Xtremjeepn), we meet at the Overland Expo two weeks ago and I figured he could take a little poke in the ribs seeing as how he "blamed" me for the purchase of his Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #3810
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
By the way, in case y'all think I was a little hard on Cole (Xtremjeepn), we meet at the Overland Expo two weeks ago and I figured he could take a little poke in the ribs seeing as how he "blamed" me for the purchase of his Montana.

Cheers,
I'm not worried about it

I'm excited to plan my route back to Denver with it.....and see how lost I can get

02 F650GS DAKAR