ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #3826
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Sorry, newbie question

Sorry for the ill-placed question, but was wondering if this is the device that I seek?

I'm getting ready to purchase (as of today) a Super Tenere and was looking for a GPS unit to mount on it. I need easy to use, waterproof, and to be able to use in conjunction with a computer.

So, if you can make recommendations it might save me from sorting through 256 pages, I would appreciate you gentlemen even more.

I'm also considering one of the Zumos, is there anything better than the 550?

Thanks!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #3827
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
I'm getting ready to purchase (as of today) a Super Tenere and was looking for a GPS unit to mount on it. I need easy to use, waterproof, and to be able to use in conjunction with a computer.

So, if you can make recommendations it might save me from sorting through 256 pages, I would appreciate you gentlemen even more.
I think it would be perfect for a Super Ten but then I'm biased. Check my sig for the information you need to make your decision.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #3828
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Thank you kind sir!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #3829
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Sorry for the ill-placed question, but was wondering if this is the device that I seek?

Thanks!
As much as I like the Montana Series the zumo 660 is a very capable unit and is arguably a bit easier to use - fewer features. Both will mount up on your S10 with the proper mounting hardware. Go to a retailer where you can see each unit and judge which one works better for you. They both can navigate Routes and Tracks*. You will pay more for the zumo 660 than for a Montana 650 (for example) mainly because of the addition of preinstalled Map (CNNA), Bluetooth, MP3 support and both of the Automotive and Motorcycle mounts w/RAM components. If you were to add the Maps and Mounts to the Montana you would still be below the retail price of the zumo.

So, in my opinion, it really comes down to features and which GPS you find is easier to use - since that was your stated criteria.

Garmin also just announce the follow-on to the zumo 550, the zumo 350LM. But, I would want to have someone eval this unit before making any conclusions. It does appear to be more "on-road" oriented given its feature list.

Cheers,

*Tracks: the zumo 660 can navigate a Track if it is Imported via the Trip Log function. The Track is converted to a Route and will reside in the Custom Routes function. The resulting Route cannot be recalculated or it will lose the original Track's path - so Recalculation needs to be set to Off. If while navigating one of these routes, it does become recalculated, simply stop Navigating and restart the Route from your current position.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 09:09 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #3830
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:

Thanks!
Check out

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=2

and

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...28&postcount=3

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #3831
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,054
one disadvantage of Montana is it's not a mature platform yet. for instance 4.10 OS was just released after many beta versions.

advantage with Montana is state of the art in GPS hardware and features. powered rugged cradle is an integral part of Montana. coupled with Ram mounting hardware, makes one of best mount system anywhere. no high $$ TT mounts needed.

travellingstrom in extended touring with Montana right now, we are benefiting from real time feedback. is Montana ready for RTW yet?

_cy_ screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 10:52 AM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #3832
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think it would be perfect for a Super Ten but then I'm biased.
Perfect on my S10. Great size, easy to see and reach, dependable power supply.

Little Blue goes looking for Orange
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #3833
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Setup->Tracks->Color=your_choice, then when you want to change color, Track Manager->Current Track->Save Track, then back to Setup->Tacks->Color=your_new_color. Repeat.

It would be nice if we had some additional Setup options for Track's in the Shortcut's area (they have been asked for - but not by enough folks to move them up the list).

Cheers,
Ahh,thanks you-that makes sense. Speaking of saving a track in track manager,I was trying to do one today as a practice in my car & was confused by a few things. I went to tracks>track log>record,show on map. I chose red as my color. I wanted to see what would happen if I hit the Mark Waypoint flag along the route. When I returned home and saved the track in my gps this is what I saw:
The track shows up as magenta instead of red,yet while I was driving it, it was red? It did show the waypoints that I dropped,but it also showed these green mountains,white top with a red arrow facing up . Sometimes it was near my way points-other times not.It also showed a blk/white checked flag that said end point-I don't understand why or how those symbols appeared on my track?
For one section of the track it shows a straight magenta line going from one way point to the other,but also showing the magenta line following the curves of the road next to it? Last, when I view this route near my house,I see other magenta lines from other practice routes that are saved in my gps. Why are the other routes showing up if I told the gps I only want a particular route?My concern is that If I'm in an area where I drive alot and have saved routes I'll be confused by the lines everywhere.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #3834
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks!
I'd agree with DRTBWK,the Zumo 660 is MUCH easier to learn and use. I actually have the Zumo 600(not 660) on my GSA,and just recently purchased the montana for my WR250R. If I had to do it over I think I would have bought another zumo mount for my WR250R,purchased the topo sd cards for the zumo and called it a day. It's easier to view and use the zumo over the montana-not much but it is for me. I've had mine for 2 years( $700 from GPSonSALE with a 7 yr. warranty) ,20,000+ miles,lots of rain,dust,dirt,vibration and no issues.
There still seems to be quite a few problems,freezes,failures,and issues with the Montana,something I was not aware of until I found this thread. I think in the long run I will be very happy with my montana purchase,but there are SOOO many features with this gps, that it's been hard for me to remember how to do things with it that I found intuitive with my zumo.

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 06:47 PM
Old 06-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #3835
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Ahh,thanks you-that makes sense. Speaking of saving a track in track manager,I was trying to do one today as a practice in my car & was confused by a few things. I went to tracks>track log>record,show on map. I chose red as my color. I wanted to see what would happen if I hit the Mark Waypoint flag along the route. When I returned home and saved the track in my gps this is what I saw:
The track shows up as magenta instead of red,yet while I was driving it, it was red? It did show the waypoints that I dropped,but it also showed these green mountains,white top with a red arrow facing up . Sometimes it was near my way points-other times not.It also showed a blk/white checked flag that said end point-I don't understand why or how those symbols appeared on my track?
For one section of the track it shows a straight magenta line going from one way point to the other,but also showing the magenta line following the curves of the road next to it? Last, when I view this route near my house,I see other magenta lines from other practice routes that are saved in my gps. Why are the other routes showing up if I told the gps I only want a particular route?My concern is that If I'm in an area where I drive alot and have saved routes I'll be confused by the lines everywhere.
It sounds like what you did when you got home was to select a saved Track and then direct the GPS to navigate it (by selecting View Map->GO). This does turn the color to Magenta (just like when you navigate a Route). The "mountain" symbols you see along the Track are major changes in Elevation and the red arrow indicates Ascent or Descent. These are handy when you don't have Topo maps but can be a bit distracting since they also are displayed in the Trip Computer data fields for Dist to Next, etc.

If you are seeing multiple TRACKs on the map it is because you selected the Show on Map setting in the Track properties of each one that is displayed on the map (Track Manager->select a track->Show on Map). If the color is Magenta, it is because you set that color for each of the Tracks or you set that color as your Track Log color and then saved those tracks as we talked about previously. You can change a Tracks Color in the Track Manager->select a track->Set Color.

Tracks and Routes are not the same thing although they both can be navigated. If you understand these two better and don't use the word route when you mean TRACK, it will help us visualize what it is you are asking.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 12:53 PM
Old 06-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #3836
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys for the quick recommendation, I'll check into the Zumo 660 and see if that's for me. I have a 2720 on my Tiger right now and it's been very dependable.

Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #3837
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
It sounds like what you did when you got home was to select a saved Track and then direct the GPS to navigate it (by selecting View Map->GO). This does turn the color to Magenta (just like when you navigate a Route). The "mountain" symbols you see along the Track are major changes in Elevation and the red arrow indicates Ascent or Descent. These are handy when you don't have Topo maps but can be a bit distracting since they also are displayed in the Trip Computer data fields for Dist to Next, etc.

If you are seeing multiple TRACKs on the map it is because you selected the Show on Map setting in the Track properties of each one that is displayed on the map (Track Manager->select a track->Show on Map). If the color is Magenta, it is because you set that color for each of the Tracks or you set that color as your Track Log color and then saved those tracks as we talked about previously. You can change a Tracks Color in the Track Manager->select a track->Set Color.

Tracks and Routes are not the same thing although they both can be navigated. If you understand these two better and don't use the word route when you mean TRACK, it will help us visualize what it is you are asking.

Cheers,
I don't know how you know so much about this gps,but I sure do appreciate you sharing your knowledge/advice. It's also been very helpful when you give the actual way to do something when you say: Track Manager>select track>show on map...
Is a route basically something you plot out on the computer or gps with a start & ending point;and the track would be a recording of something you've actually ridden that your gps recorded?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #3838
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,675
Some times this Montana can really piss me off. I transferred some tracks I made today into basecamp and moved a small 14 mile route onto montana. I unplugged GPS, turned it on and removed some old routes and way-points I no longer needed using the GPS menus. I left the 2 on there. One to someones house I rode with today, and one for RV.

Went out and rode the 14 mile route. (remember I am in a mountain area where I really don't know my way around.) When leaving the destination of the route, I hit my shortcut to RV and it said something like waypoint not found.
check waypoint manager and all the ones on the SD card are missing. Once again, the Delorme PN40 brought me home. Sure glad I kept that thing
Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #3839
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I don't know how you know so much about this gps,but I sure do appreciate you sharing your knowledge/advice. It's also been very helpful when you give the actual way to do something when you say: Track Manager>select track>show on map...
Is a route basically something you plot out on the computer or gps with a start & ending point;and the track would be a recording of something you've actually ridden that your gps recorded?
Happy to help when I can.

Yes, your view of Route's and Track's is a good rule to apply and historically correct.

Today with the more advanced Trip Planning software like BaseCamp and others, a Track can also be created on your computer. But, they should only be used to navigate when you know the path is a valid one.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #3840
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Some times this Montana can really piss me off. I transferred some tracks I made today into basecamp and moved a small 14 mile route onto montana. I unplugged GPS, turned it on and removed some old routes and way-points I no longer needed using the GPS menus. I left the 2 on there. One to someones house I rode with today, and one for RV.

Went out and rode the 14 mile route. (remember I am in a mountain area where I really don't know my way around.) When leaving the destination of the route, I hit my shortcut to RV and it said something like waypoint not found.
check waypoint manager and all the ones on the SD card are missing. Once again, the Delorme PN40 brought me home. Sure glad I kept that thing
So? What did you do with the RV Waypoint? The Montana can do a lot of things but I don't think it can just up and delete waypoints on it's own. Was this waypoint part of one of the Route's you deleted? Did you try reseating your µSD card? Give us the rest of the story man

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS