ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #3826
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
There still seems to be quite a few problems,freezes,failures,and issues with the Montana,something I was not aware of until I found this thread.
I have had no problems, freezes, failures or issues of any kind on my Montana. Either I have been using it totally inappropriately or I read the manual and learned to use the device.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #3827
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I have had no problems, freezes, failures or issues of any kind on my Montana. Either I have been using it totally inappropriately or I read the manual and learned to use the device.
Same here, totally reliable, no WSOD, no rebooting, nothing. Same for my wife and her 650.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #3828
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Regarding your slow recalc, I have seen that condition when I had multiple routable maps installed on the unit and both were Enabled. If you unit continues to display that behavior, I would call Product Support and have the unit repaired/replaced.

Cheers,
It is booked in to be replaced when I arrive at garmins front door in a few weeks. Prior to that it needs to get me IN and OUT of London, we shall see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #3829
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_;

travellingstrom in extended touring with Montana right now, we are benefiting from real time feedback. is Montana ready for RTW yet?
I would have to say not quite there yet.

I like the unit and using it to paperless geocache is great. But satnav is a bit unreliable, using the Europe maps I mean, but as I cannot update them because it is on SD card, I may be at fault, not wanting to keep paying for updates when there was never an opportunity to buy a DVD with lifetime updates in the first place, I only need it another month, then I am on OSM maps

The fact that it still has software issues, as experienced by me( direction arrows show straight ahead, text says take next exit, this has happened many many times, I ignore the arrows now) and the hardware issues, freezing screen, loose battery, loose SD card means it is not quite ready for continuous use overland on a motorcycle

I have no comment on water or aviation mode. It does work fine in recreational mode, by that I mean by walking

Cheers
TS

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #3830
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
I would have to say not quite there yet.

I like the unit and using it to paperless geocache is great. But satnav is a bit unreliable, using the Europe maps I mean, but as I cannot update them because it is on SD card, I may be at fault, not wanting to keep paying for updates when there was never an opportunity to buy a DVD with lifetime updates in the first place, I only need it another month, then I am on OSM maps

The fact that it still has software issues, as experienced by me( direction arrows show straight ahead, text says take next exit, this has happened many many times, I ignore the arrows now) and the hardware issues, freezing screen, loose battery, loose SD card means it is not quite ready for continuous use overland on a motorcycle

I have no comment on water or aviation mode. It does work fine in recreational mode, by that I mean by walking

Cheers
TS

Cheers
TravellingStrom
I'd definitely say your Montana is not ready for much of any travel given the problems you've had. I now have over 8,000 miles on mine and it has preformed as expected through all types of riding with big DS bikes: BMW GS Adv & HP2E.

Sure hope they turn around a new one for you quickly.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #3831
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,876
Quote:
So? What did you do with the RV Waypoint? The Montana can do a lot of things but I don't think it can just up and delete waypoints on it's own. Was this waypoint part of one of the Route's you deleted? Did you try reseating your µSD card? Give us the rest of the story man

Cheers,
I got back to the RV following the Delorme, put the bike back in the trailer, opened a (couple) cold ones and went to bed. This morning I got up, cleaned up the RV and went home. Gps is still on the bike which is now in the garage.

I really am having problems with this 4.x production (as well as when it was beta) code. all my short cuts for things like show track, don't show track, erase track, reset trip computer, toggle map, etc. When you touch on them instead of lighting up, then going dim (like they used to do) they just light up and stay highlight until I click the arrow buttons to move back to another menu screen. The shorts cuts still work, they just don't work like they used to.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #3832
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
I do think the Touratech Montana Locking Mount has merit but it doesn't support rotating the Montana so you can take advantage of the Portrait mode. I prefer Portrait mode so I can see more of what's ahead of me unless I'm in a city where I actually like Landscape mode so I can see more of what's "around" me - incase I have to "turn Right, NOW!"
The Touratech Locking Mount does support Portrait mode if you are using a Ram ball on the back of it. In that case, it is essentially a rugged mount with a lockable "exoskeleton" around it.

Instead, if you use the two standard Touratech clamps on the back of it which are designed to attach to the Touratech GPS bars, then you are correct, you are stuck with landscape.

It is very easy to set it up either way.

Eric

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #3833
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
From our friend TravelingStrom:
"Hi all, I have a problem and hope someone can point me in the right direction

I am travelling, so sending my GPS to a repair shop is out of the question, sthis is what happened yesterday near Sarejevo.

There are no roads or not many and coming in from Croatia, we covered about 100km of 'there be dragons' terrritory. When I did finally get on a road it knew, the screen froze, so I pulled over and removed the battery to reset it but then it just made a beep, the screen went from total 100% dark to about 90% dark and I could see nor do nothing!

I tried this a few times, then took the LI battery out and powered it from bike cradle, phew it still works and when I installed 3AA rechargeables, it also worked, so the LI battery is either faulty, or the charge/power system internally in the GPS is crook.It failed right in the middle of Vienna the other day, it took a few attempts to get the map back. It seems to fail while riding and missing a turn, so it is recalculating while you ride and you have now gone the wrong way which confuses it.

I am muddling along with it, but I might buy a cheap TomTom as backup to get me around.

My enthusiasm for this product is waning.

One thing that may be causing the issues though is not the battery but the data card,

Now, it is useable the way it is, not ideal but works."

Up until the last week I hardly ever read this thread because I hadn't purchased my montana yet, but I do remember reading two people stating that they were already on their 3rd Montana! My very first time using mine, it froze on me several times on a 4 day trip.I won't deny that my reading the manual and then being able to apply what I've read is not nearly as great as yours,but I guess that's why we have threads like this-to ask and learn
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #3834
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
My very first time using mine, it froze on me several times on a 4 day trip.I won't deny that my reading the manual and then being able to apply what I've read is not nearly as great as yours,but I guess that's why we have threads like this-to ask and learn
Indeed, but we also have these threads to try to quantify exactly what comments like "quite a few problems" really means beyond pointing to a thread where someone had a problem with few details other than mentioning a problem that has been covered well over a dozen times in this thread.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #3835
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Problem being, if something has been mentioned many times why has it not been fixed in a dozen firmware updates? I think a good number of the issues revolve around the customization aspect of the unit. If you leave everything alone it seems to be more stable than if you go customizing everything. The problem is the unit sells itself on that very customization that seems to make things less stable.

I've had some issues and had features that are standard with the unit just disappear. I seems to be humming along fine for the moment after a factory reset.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #3836
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,792
Laugh

Just thought I'd drop in a little update after my mild rant on this device thew other day.

I tracked down a mount from the San Diego BMW dealer to use on my way home. Plugs right into my power outlet and mounted up with some zip ties. 4 big ones, and a teather to make sure it doesn't go too far away

I have now put about 1,000 miles on it over the last couple of days. Day one I decided to set all my parameters and put my trust in its navigation and see where it took me. I was only headed to the grocery store about five miles way in San Diego, but have found myself I Flagstaff this morning

I've had a lot of fun with the device over the last few days. Found some cool roads! Its kinda nice to see your progress and all the data options. Love that the screen is so easy to read in the sunlight. That was a pleasant surprise.

Now if I could figure out how to turn the display orange to match my gauges

Decided to keep it and ordered two proper mounts!

Quick picture from the middle of nowhere Cali desert!

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #3837
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Question, do period characters used when naming waypoints and tracks transfer over correctly to the Montana from Basecamp? I understand that they could not be used in earlier Garmin devices and people were forced to substitute periods with dashes for example. I have been routing in Basecamp with the Topo maps, but I have yet to buy the Montana, which is why I am asking.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #3838
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
i bought mine from REI, and on my 3rd Montana....going 4th in 6 months....

the store has 100% satisfaction guarantee policy.

1st failure - unsupported battery detected, new batt still no worky, foam behind the batt, still no worky

2nd failure - lost sattelite reception completely

3rd failure - blank screen

all failure happens while mounted on the handle bar of my 640E (the paint shaker)
Mounted up my nearly-new Montana 650 for a dual sport ride this past weekend. Started getting the "unsupported battery detected" error repeatedly as well as the unit continuously restarting. Very annoying. Wedging a thick folded piece of paper at the non-contact end of the battery seemed to help, but not cure the issue. Seemed to mostly happen on high-speed asphalt sections of riding (this was mounted on a dirt bike, with knobbies) so I think it's caused by high frequency vibrations. On the trails it was fine.
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #3839
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Mounted up my nearly-new Montana 650 for a dual sport ride this past weekend. Started getting the "unsupported battery detected" error repeatedly as well as the unit continuously restarting. Very annoying. Wedging a thick folded piece of paper at the non-contact end of the battery seemed to help, but not cure the issue. Seemed to mostly happen on high-speed asphalt sections of riding (this was mounted on a dirt bike, with knobbies) so I think it's caused by high frequency vibrations. On the trails it was fine.
One thing that I've not seen mentioned is that the Touratech mounts incorporate anti-vibration dampeners. So, if you are riding a thumper, you might want to think about how to eliminate the vibration.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #3840
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
One thing that I've not seen mentioned is that the Touratech mounts incorporate anti-vibration dampeners. So, if you are riding a thumper, you might want to think about how to eliminate the vibration.

I would try Foam in the battery box or even an Ear Plug like others here have done before buying the Touratech box.