ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #3871
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin120 View Post
... in case I have to do a reset. Hate to have to do it though...
A reset is not such a big issue as it used to be. Very little is lost or changed on the gps.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #3872
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin120 View Post
Moto,

No, I don't even get the chance to manually initiate anything at the moment of connection to the Mac. It's the display sequence on the screen of the Montana that occurs prior to Basecamp recognizing the unit as a remote device that is ready for use. Is this something unique to me/my unit?

I walked down the street to this response by Dan just in case I have to do a reset. Hate to have to do it though...

Thanks,
Dave
I have my interface setup as, "Garmin Serial". The display sequence occurs so fast I can't even read that's there

I do remember a shut down problem on connect after download some data but the Master Reset fixed it. Like EmmBeeDee said, it's not a big deal to reset now.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #3873
Ronin120
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot tonight and report back.

Best,
Dave
Ronin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #3874
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I'd definitely say your Montana is not ready for much of any travel given the problems you've had. I now have over 8,000 miles on mine and it has preformed as expected through all types of riding with big DS bikes: BMW GS Adv & HP2E.

Sure hope they turn around a new one for you quickly.

Cheers,
I have tried something else while I am waiting to get a replacement.

Having noticed that the data card 'seems' to be loose when I open it after a total lockup, I have folded a sheet of paper a few times and placed it over the data card clip and then the battery on top should hold that tightly in place.

I have now ditched the foam plug, it had minimal effect IMHO, and instead put some tape around the battery near the contact end.

Everything seems very snug now and i will be entering Vienna again in two days to pick up my passport, so we shall see if it goes wonky again.

After that I have Geneva and not long after, London so it has some thinking to do :)

Cheers
TS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 06-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #3875
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
My Touratech locking mount for the 60csx is really something. Provides amazing functionality. That said, the Touratech mount for the Montana seems downright silly. Still, I wanted to attach the Montana to my 12mm bar without all the crap involved in a ram mount.

I swung by Touratech yesterday and picked this up for $15. It is an accessory mount for their small roadbook.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...-DR-RB-Compact

Then I messed with it a bit:

All you need is the Touratech part, the Garmin mount, and four fender washers. The 4 bolts bolts that come with the Garmin mount could stand to be a couple mm longer, but it still works.

Edit: The Garmin rugged mount comes with M4 x 20mm button head screws. With my setup, you will want M4 x 25mm button head screws so that you don't squeeze the rubber bushings too hard.

Nut Clutch screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 07:30 PM
Nut Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #3876
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Any luck getting the Colorado to show all roads at a scale greater than 0.8 miles? I've noticed that it seems to show them for an instant when I zoom out from 0.8 miles.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #3877
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lavigne View Post
Any luck getting the Colorado to show all roads at a scale greater than 0.8 miles? I've noticed that it seems to show them for an instant when I zoom out from 0.8 miles.
If you mean the Montana, the answer is no. Scale's > 0.8mi tertiary & "street-level" roads are no longer visible.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #3878
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Quote:
If you mean the Montana, the answer is no. Scale of > 0.8mi and tertiary & "street-level" roads are no longer visible.

Cheers,
Thank you very much for reading my mind and answering my question.

The 0.8 mile range and additional pixels is still a huge improvement from my 60csx.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #3879
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
If you mean the Montana, the answer is no. Scale's > 0.8mi tertiary & "street-level" roads are no longer visible.

Cheers,
For City Navigator this is true. For OSM maps, they display a lot of detail when zoomed out farther.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #3880
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
For City Navigator this is true. For OSM maps, they display a lot of detail when zoomed out farther.
Good point. I just made the assumption Steve was talking about CNNA - not usually like me to make assumptions

For all Garmin maps the zoom level at which data shows or not is determined by the TYP file. There are always trade-offs as to how much info to try and put on a display as small as the ones our GPS's have (some smaller than others ).

I do like OSM maps - for many reasons.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #3881
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Any thoughts on below?
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Hi guys. I Recently bought the 600 and have a few questions.

A friend has given me some mapping grid ref to the start and end of some off road tracks. I have the os mapping and can put these into the Montana with no problem, marking them starttrack1, endtrack1 etc etc. There are around 30 tracks in total.

I was going to let the GPS take me to the start of the tracks on the road by simply selecting “where to” “waypoints” and selecting starttrack1 – I’m presuming it will be fairly obvious when I get to the start of each track to find the “endtrack1” as it will be an off road track and hopefully not many choices (but what if I have three tracks to choose from?!)

Then when I get to the end tell the Montana to take me to the start of track2 on the road and start again.

Would you say this is the easiest thing for what I’m trying to achieve and what settings should I make sure the Montana has to achieve this i.e. “do not recalculate” etc.

Or would you put all the waypoints into Basecamp and create a track and follow the track? Or maybe create a track then a route and follow that?

What would be the advantage's of any of the above?

Sorry for being pretty basic but these stupid questions will help me learn
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #3882
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Quote:
For all Garmin maps the zoom level at which data shows or not is determined by the TYP file. There are always trade-offs as to how much info to try and put on a display as small as the ones our GPS's have (some smaller than others ).
Any luck editing the typ file for CNNA? I found some information from you that sounded as if the CNNA typ file is too large to be edited with the various tools available.

There are of course numerous places where a 1.2 mile zoom shows no roads, but a 0.8 mile zoom shows numerous roads. Why Garmin can't get their head out of their ass on this issue is quite baffling. Seems to me to be a fairly simple fix.

Emm, thanks for the mention of the functionality with OSM. I'm going to have to load some on my Garmin.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #3883
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Any luck editing the typ file for CNNA? I found some information from you that sounded as if the CNNA typ file is too large to be edited with the various tools available.

There are of course numerous places where a 1.2 mile zoom shows no roads, but a 0.8 mile zoom shows numerous roads. Why Garmin can't get their head out of their ass on this issue is quite baffling. Seems to me to be a fairly simple fix.

Emm, thanks for the mention of the functionality with OSM. I'm going to have to load some on my Garmin.
I had sent a question to Garmin re: losing detail as you zoomed out and got this back:

A bit of it depends on us, but most depends on the data supplier and how they have classified the detail (collector roads, unpaved roads, arterial roads, and so forth).

I hear what you are talking about with the NavTeq data every so often and can understand based on my own experiences out in some rural areas here in the Lower 48.

They tend to lower classifications to “reduce clutter.”

I’m sure you have the detail set to most (it can help a little, but like I say you know what you are doing so I’m sure you have done that already).

I can’t do much, but I can pass that up the food chain, too. For what it is worth, I tend to (just from my own personal point of view) agree with you.

Best regards,

Loy
Garmin Cartography Admin
Old 06-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #3884
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:

A couple of screen shots showing how the Montana can show much more detail if the maps are compliant:

This is an old product, the Canada Enhanced Basemap at the 5 kilometer zoom level, roughly 3 miles, I think.

And this is the OSM maps at 3k.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #3885
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
A couple of screen shots showing how the Montana can show much more detail if the maps are compliant:
I used http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ to generate a map and load it on to my SD card. I now can see all roads at a 2 mile range, which is just about ideal. A larger range than that will probably not be that usable.

This greatly improves the usability of the Montana. Thank you for the suggestion!

Also love that it is possible to update the Garmin maps anywhere in the world with nothing more than an Android phone and an internet connection.

Nut Clutch screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 07:00 PM
Nut Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote