ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 145 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #3916
Berin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That's the general idea. You don't need to set anything individually, as long as you have a tone set for the alert in Setup\Tones.
Hi Emmbeedee, could you elaborate please? I can see the Speed cam POI files. If I touch Proximity Alerts>Creat Alarm>Extras then I can see the speed cam locations listed under "all databases" - do I have to activate each one? Or is the proximity alert set by the POI downloader settings?

thanks!
Berin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #3917
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,596
Laugh

I'm just I just missed it somewhere here. What size is the tamper resistant torx? And more importantly, anyone know where I can get a really short one? (I may just have to cut and weld one to fit in the tight spot between my windscreen and the GPS., or drill a hole in the windscreen )

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #3918
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-montan...torx-tool.html
GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #3919
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
$10 for a full set of short security bits:

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-pie...set-91310.html
Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #3920
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Can someone help me here with what I think is a simple issue but I am confused.

Ok, I want to import a pocket query of Geocaches and I do so. Now, I then highlight them all and right click 'send to' and I select my SD card as destination but when I am riding there are no caches to he found so why is that?

I thought by adding them to the card rather than internal memory would make the gps load faster. Well it does because it does not load the caches

So, should I forget about loading anything to the SD card except maps or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Did you look on your SD Card/GPX/ directory for the geocache.gpx file? There is no reason why your Geocaches should not transfer from BC to either internal or external (SD Card) storage.

There is NO performance advantage to having your data on the SD Card. The only advantage, other than the obvious (space), is that when you place your Routes and Waypoints on the SD Card they are transferred in a single GPX file so there is no duplication of Waypoints in the Waypoint Manager.

There IS a performance advantage to storing your Tracks and Routes on Internal storage. The Montana directs BC to write each Track and/or Route to an individual GPX file which makes opening a large Track or Route much faster and most likely you'll have somewhat faster operations on that file (like when navigating).

Having penned the above, it just dawned on my that you've been having lots of problems with your SD Card and holder. Aside from making sure there is a geocache.gpx file on there, you may want to try resetting the card in the holder.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 06:59 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #3921
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I'm just I just missed it somewhere here. What size is the tamper resistant torx? And more importantly, anyone know where I can get a really short one? (I may just have to cut and weld one to fit in the tight spot between my windscreen and the GPS., or drill a hole in the windscreen )

Two choices:
  1. Travel with someone who has really small hands, or
  2. Drill a hole in the windscreen.

Oh, gee, I totally missed the Ad. . . I mean cool mini-tablet on your handlebars.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #3922
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,500
[QUOTE=FatChance;18858404]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Ya mean like this

I have downloaded POI files from the POI factory. I have used POI Loader to create the *.gpi files on my computer (PC) and to load or copy them to my Montana to get the results you have. But how can I get this *.gpi POI file data into Basecamp either as waypoints or POIs? Basecamp apparently does not import *.gpi files.

Edit: Nevermind. I used GPSBable to convert gpi to gdb and that works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Seeing as Garmin place all the POIs under Extras, to eliminate one step in the "Where To / Extras / {select Brewpubs, Camping, etc}, create a Shortcut to Extras and place it beside "Where To" on your Main Menu. One tap on the shortcut and you're right at your Custom POI Categories.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
As you know, ALL Custom POI's will be listed under Extras. But, you can have "categories" under Extras and you can pick the names. You just need to organize your POI's on your computer into Folders and Sub-folders. Then point the POILoader to the top-level Folder for your Categories.

In the screenshot below, my "categories" are the folders under POI so I point the POILoader to my POI Folder:

The result on the Montana:

And under the RoadFood category, a separate GPX (CSV) file for BurgersBurgersBurgers, GreasySpoons, etc.:

Yes, I do like my "RoadFood"

Hope that helps you out a little. . .

Cheers,
Thanks, everyone. That will work. Just have to figure out how to do it but that is what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the help.

Brewpubs and RoadFood - I'm getting thirsty and hungry.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #3923
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berin View Post
Hi Emmbeedee, could you elaborate please? I can see the Speed cam POI files. If I touch Proximity Alerts>Creat Alarm>Extras then I can see the speed cam locations listed under "all databases" - do I have to activate each one? Or is the proximity alert set by the POI downloader settings?

thanks!
Sorry for the delay. I am in a tentt, without glasses, typing on my Iphone so can't help now.

Just finished listening to Ned Suesse, speak about his Dakar ride! Wow!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #3924
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
... Thanks, everyone. That will work. Just have to figure out how to do it but that is what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the help. ....
I have the shortcut on my Montana and I did it like this, which technically is NOT a "Shortcut" but is a "Main Menu Customisation":

Setup / Main Menu / Select an item to change / Select Category / Where To / Extras

You will then have an Icon on your Main Menu that shows a "gift-wrapped box with a small magnifying glass".

Note: When you create a Main Menu icon, that option disappears from the "Selection Category" list to prevent you creating a duplicate icon.

Bob

BobM screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 08:11 AM Reason: Added additional explanation
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #3925
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,836
Seeing your list of folders, I think you should consider another folder for cardiologists.

Quote:
As you know, ALL Custom POI's will be listed under Extras. But, you can have "categories" under Extras and you can pick the names. You just need to organize your POI's on your computer into Folders and Sub-folders. Then point the POILoader to the top-level Folder for your Categories.

In the screenshot below, my "categories" are the folders under POI so I point the POILoader to my POI Folder:

The result on the Montana:

And under the RoadFood category, a separate GPX (CSV) file for BurgersBurgersBurgers, GreasySpoons, etc.:

Yes, I do like my "RoadFood"

Hope that helps you out a little. . .

Cheers,

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #3926
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lavigne View Post
$10 for a full set of short security bits:

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-pie...set-91310.html
Perfect. Think I will head to HF tomorrow. Still may have to trim one down and weld a little handle to it Thanks!

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #3927
Berin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sorry for the delay. I am in a tentt, without glasses, typing on my Iphone so can't help now.

Just finished listening to Ned Suesse, speak about his Dakar ride! Wow!
thanks! I bet that was a good talk.
Berin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #3928
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Did you look on your SD Card/GPX/ directory for the geocache.gpx file? There is no reason why your Geocaches should not transfer from BC to either internal or external (SD Card) storage.

There is NO performance advantage to having your data on the SD Card. The only advantage, other than the obvious (space), is that when you place your Routes and Waypoints on the SD Card they are transferred in a single GPX file so there is no duplication of Waypoints in the Waypoint Manager.

There IS a performance advantage to storing your Tracks and Routes on Internal storage. The Montana directs BC to write each Track and/or Route to an individual GPX file which makes opening a large Track or Route much faster and most likely you'll have somewhat faster operations on that file (like when navigating).

Having penned the above, it just dawned on my that you've been having lots of problems with your SD Card and holder. Aside from making sure there is a geocache.gpx file on there, you may want to try resetting the card in the holder.

Cheers,
HI Dan

I do NOT have a geocahce.gpx file in EITHER Garmin folder, the SD card nor the main unit, what is going on? I have a number of Waypoints files, one is 17Mb so I am guessing that is the caches? But maybe not, I have other stuff on there as well.

I have reset the SD card many times, and just recently folded some paper and put that over it and between the battery, this has helped I feel from the past 1000km or so since I did it.

I have been getting masses amounts of error messages when I start BC with the garmin connected, check this out

When I went looking for the geocache.gpx file I noticed many tracks and other files with zero or very low file size so I deleted them all, that may fix the above problem.

Still cannot find my geocaches though :(

How should I be installing them, 'send to' like I have ben or just highlight, copy and paste into the internal memory?

Cheers
TS

++++ edit++++ Hmm, I just did a "sendTo" and a file appeared on internal memory as Wasypoints11.gpx but no actual geocache.gpx file?

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 01:03 AM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #3929
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
HI Dan

I do NOT have a geocahce.gpx file in EITHER Garmin folder, the SD card nor the main unit, what is going on? I have a number of Waypoints files, one is 17Mb so I am guessing that is the caches? But maybe not, I have other stuff on there as well.

I have reset the SD card many times, and just recently folded some paper and put that over it and between the battery, this has helped I feel from the past 1000km or so since I did it.

I have been getting masses amounts of error messages when I start BC with the garmin connected, check this out

When I went looking for the geocache.gpx file I noticed many tracks and other files with zero or very low file size so I deleted them all, that may fix the above problem.

Still cannot find my geocaches though :(

How should I be installing them, 'send to' like I have ben or just highlight, copy and paste into the internal memory?

Cheers
TS

++++ edit++++ Hmm, I just did a "sendTo" and a file appeared on internal memory as Wasypoints11.gpx but no actual geocache.gpx file?
From long distance I can't really tell what BaseCamp/Montana are doing. But obviously it is treating your Geocaches like waypoints. Unless you are installing a lot of Tracks I'd say your GPS has more than a few problems. You can see that BaseCamp recognizes the geocaches OK so if you've tried the various ways to transfer the data (drag/drop, send to) I think at this point you should just write it off...

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #3930
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
I have reset the SD card many times,
You are locking the SD card, aren't you?
From the Owner's Manual:
4. Place the microSD card in the device with the gold contacts facing own.
5. Close the card holder.
6. Slide the card holder toward the bottom of the device to lock it.

When I slide the holder, it kinda clicks into place and I know it's locked.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote