ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #3931
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Why do this procedure while the unit is under warranty in the first place? If the antenna comes loose while in use within the warranty period (or maybe even a little beyond since it is a new model), I have every reason to believe that Garmin would fix or replace it, right? And if the device were not under warranty, then it wouldn't matter to Garmin if you did this or not.
I would carry an external antenna on rides where the antenna failure would be critical, and send the defective unit back to Garmin.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #3932
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Why do this procedure while the unit is under warranty in the first place? If the antenna comes loose while in use within the warranty period (or maybe even a little beyond since it is a new model), I have every reason to believe that Garmin would fix or replace it, right? And if the device were not under warranty, then it wouldn't matter to Garmin if you did this or not.
The reason I decided to go ahead and modify mine is we travel WAY out in the middle of know where and reliability is key. When I'm out in the remote desert knowing that Garmin will fix my broken antenna isn't much comfort...what I need is a working GPS. Like I said in the How-To the choice to worry about it/mod it is up to the individual, it won't be for everyone. For me the reliability is worth the risk.

I like the external antenna idea as a backup

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #3933
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post

I like the external antenna idea as a backup

Hodakaguy
Or run with 2 different GPS's I prefer Delorme GPS for the mapping software and Garmin for the versidility of the Montana. Since they both refuse to work with each other I just run both. The Delorme has brought me home 2X so far this spring when the Montana waypoints (RV location) would suddenly come up missing.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #3934
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy
...what I need is a working GPS...I like the external antenna idea as a backup
Hodakaguy
[sarc]How about a MAP as a backup?![/sarc]
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #3935
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
[sarc]How about a MAP as a backup?![/sarc]
Yep Map is defiantly a must...but no replacement for a GPS while on the trail. I spend days setting up our tracks before we head out on a desert trip, having well prepared tracks makes the trip go sooooo much smoother than using maps.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #3936
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Hi John, I was originally going to add a thin piece of sticky back foam to the back of the antenna as well as the hot glue, but when I went to re-assemble the unit it felt like the foam was putting pressure on the circuit board and causing the board to bend slightly when tightening the screws. I didn't want to take a chance so I removed the foam and just went with the hot glue.

No tamper seals....and if you had a thinner piece of sticky foam that may just work. I'll add that into the How-To.

Thanks.

Hodakaguy
Yeah I kind of had that thought too regarding the thickness of the foam. Since you have had the unit open I figured you would know if there was any room in there for it.

Good to know there are no tamper seals inside.

Thanks,

Jon...
Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #3937
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I would carry an external antenna on rides where the antenna failure would be critical, and send the defective unit back to Garmin.
Does Garmin sell the external antennas or is that an aftermarket item?

Jon...
Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #3938
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,537
Fuse

Just added a Fuzeblock to my bike and want to run my 650 through it. I'm going to test with the switched and un-switched sides but can't find any info from Garmin as to what size fuse I should use.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #3939
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
Just added a Fuzeblock to my bike and want to run my 650 through it. I'm going to test with the switched and un-switched sides but can't find any info from Garmin as to what size fuse I should use.

Anyone know?
The Montana rugged mount comes with a 2 Amp in-line fuse.

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #3940
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Does Garmin sell the external antennas or is that an aftermarket item?

Jon...
I bought two through Fleabay for about $15 each many years ago. They pack up into a nice small bag you could likely put under your seat for that emergency...

Mine came from NorthStar_gps Click his user name and you'll see an antenna which works with the Montana for $18.99 + $5 shipping. The guy's reputable, and only ever sent me quality gear.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 05:55 PM
Old 06-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #3941
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Hi John, I was originally going to add a thin piece of sticky back foam to the back of the antenna as well as the hot glue, but when I went to re-assemble the unit it felt like the foam was putting pressure on the circuit board and causing the board to bend slightly when tightening the screws. I didn't want to take a chance so I removed the foam and just went with the hot glue.
There's a product called Goop which I bet would work really well in this application. It flows into cracks and over electronics nicely and ends up like a kind of seal over the parts, but it also comes off fairly easily if necessary.

I used this Goop to completely seal my Heat-Troller and it has not harmed the electronics in any way.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #3942
AvidRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Installed the Montana today

Removed the GPSmap 478 (with its locking Touratech mount and associated RAM paraphernalia) and wired up the Montana 600 to the good old Fuzeblock.

I decided to forgo a TT and RAM combo and instead mounted the Garmin RM directly to the crossbars of my '01 R1150GS. It seems to work like a charm. Went on a short test ride and the unit is easy to see, easy to reach and easy to use.

In case anyone wants to do the same thing, I bought a bicycle inner tube for five bucks, cut several strips off of it and glued each strip to the back of the RM where it would contact the crossbar and to the inside of each of the u-clamps that would secure the RM to the crossbar.

The thin pieces of rubber provide isolation and some limited play yet the unit is solid when using the touchscreen. I can wiggle the unit slightly when I grab it but it doesn't vibrate, doesn't slip or move and the angle is great even in direct sunlight. I had to add larger washers as the supplied washers were allowing the screw to pull through the rubber inserts as it was being tightened.

For those who wish the simplest install (other than putting the thing in a tankbag) this is probably it. The rubber inner tube seems to be the trick.

Post Installation

Rubber inner tube strips on each u-clamp to protect the crossbar and aid in dampening

Another piece of bicycle inner tube glued to the RM (blue arrow)

Finally, the GPS as it sits after the install, nothing is blocked except my view of the ignition switch (this pic is NOT from the rider's perspective)

Cheers

AvidRider screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 01:55 PM Reason: Adding pics
AvidRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #3943
AvidRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post

Anyone know?

Thanks.
I have a 2A in the Fuzeblock for the Garmin.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #3944
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I bought two through Fleabay for about $15 each many years ago. They pack up into a nice small bag you could likely put under your seat for that emergency...

Mine came from NorthStar_gps Click his user name and you'll see an antenna which works with the Montana for $18.99 + $5 shipping. The guy's reputable, and only ever sent me quality gear.
Well that's cheap enough and it will work for all my GPS units. Seeing how I spend a lot more than that on my toys there is no reason not to get one.

Thanks,

Jon...
Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #3945
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
There's a product called Goop which I bet would work really well in this application. It flows into cracks and over electronics nicely and ends up like a kind of seal over the parts, but it also comes off fairly easily if necessary.

I used this Goop to completely seal my Heat-Troller and it has not harmed the electronics in any way.
Put the GOOP tube in the sun before use and it becomes a lot easier (lower viscosity) to drizzle less of it in the correct wanted spots. With glue sometimes (like most times) less is more.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote