ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #3931
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,079
Custom POI Extras Menu Names?

Based on the information here, I have been downloading custom POI collections from the POI Factory and have set up separate menu items for them under Where to? > Extras by copying over separate *.gpi files. My question is how to control what the name in the Extras menu shows as? For example, in one list of campsite POIs, the menu selection name is "My Places". Some have usable names, but My Places is not very descriptive. Is there any way to change that or is it buried in the *.gpi file?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 08:39 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #3932
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
.... My question is how to control what the name in the Extras menu shows as? For example, in one list of campsite POIs, the menu selection name is "My Places". Some have usable names, but My Places is not very descriptive. Is there any way to change that or is it buried in the *.gpi file?
I don't work with gpi files as such. I create the Folders ../CustomPOI/MC Dealers, ../CustomPOI/Campgrounds, ../CustomPOI/Trailheads, etc and then transfer the individual GPX (or CSV) POI files to the respective folder - e.g. Suzuki.gpx, Honda.gpx, BMW.gpx to the MC Dealers folder.
Run POI Loader and point to the CustomPOI folder. When you go into Extras you will see the Folder names. When you click a "Folder" you'll get a list of the gpx or csv filenames (without the extension).

If you are using someone else's GPI file you'll get whatever Folder/File structure they had on their computer.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #3933
FatChance
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I don't work with gpi files as such. I create the Folders ../CustomPOI/MC Dealers, ../CustomPOI/Campgrounds, ../CustomPOI/Trailheads, etc and then transfer the individual GPX (or CSV) POI files to the respective folder - e.g. Suzuki.gpx, Honda.gpx, BMW.gpx to the MC Dealers folder.
Run POI Loader and point to the CustomPOI folder. When you go into Extras you will see the Folder names. When you click a "Folder" you'll get a list of the gpx or csv filenames (without the extension).

If you are using someone else's GPI file you'll get whatever Folder/File structure they had on their computer.

Bob
Thanks Bob! I usually just copy the gpi files to the POI folder (no need for POI Loader, I don't think) but I'll copy the CVS or gpi files to a new folder and give it a try.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #3934
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
You are locking the SD card, aren't you?
From the Owner's Manual:
4. Place the microSD card in the device with the gold contacts facing own.
5. Close the card holder.
6. Slide the card holder toward the bottom of the device to lock it.

When I slide the holder, it kinda clicks into place and I know it's locked.
Yap it is locked in but no matter what battery combination I use it still becomes loose, the paper helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 06-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #3935
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Yap it is locked in but no matter what battery combination I use it still becomes loose, the paper helped
Not that it's ever come loose but I tape mine down:

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #3936
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I'm just I just missed it somewhere here. What size is the tamper resistant torx? And more importantly, anyone know where I can get a really short one? (I may just have to cut and weld one to fit in the tight spot between my windscreen and the GPS., or drill a hole in the windscreen )
It's a T10 security screw. I was at my local super hardware store the other day and they had the right bits in stock for $3 each. They were short, probably no more than 1" long.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #3937
Emanuele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi all,

just a quick question: between the Garmin Zumo 660 and the Montana 650T, which one would you recommend and why?

Thank you!

E.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #3938
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berin View Post
thanks! I bet that was a good talk.
It was. Ned is spending the whole weekend on a local ride with us. We can ask him anything we want!

Read about it here: Roaming Rally 2012

And to keep this on topic, I've been answering tons of questions from gps users in general, and Montana users as well. It's amazing how many Montanas are on this ride, many having been purchased after reading this thread! I even managed to give away two of my spare 8 gig mirror imaged uSD cards to US riders I thought would benefit from having Canadian mapsets (OSM) for the ride. There was also the full US OSM mapset on those cards. It was an exchange for their mostly empty cards, so it worked out well.

And I added many special profiles and shortcuts for people as well, so they could see just how well the Montana works with quick access to the different mapsets.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 05:17 PM
Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #3939
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Maps

Any idea why I cannot see my CNNA routable maps when I plug my montana into my laptop? I can see the basemap and OSM maps but not the garmin routable maps.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #3940
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,015
We just returned from a long desert ride in NV, there were 5 Montana's being used and one failed on the trip due to a broken internal antenna mount.

I modified my Montana to prevent this from happening to me out on the trail, I typed up a How-To in case anyone else wants to modify theirs. Link Here: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #3941
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Hodakaguy,

That is an excellent writeup!

Thanks for taking the time to write it and include the pictures. With that anyone should be able to disassemble and reassemble their Montana. I know I will be saving a copy on my computer and also printing it out for safe keeping.

For those that don't have a hot glue gun do you think a piece of foam placed between the case and antenna would work?

Also, were there any tamper seals you had to break to take it apart? If not, and you think the foam would work as well as hot glue, then this would be a mod that could be done and reversed if the unit had to go in for warranty work.

Again, thanks for putting that together.

Jon...
Old 06-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #3942
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
We just returned from a long desert ride in NV, there were 5 Montana's being used and one failed on the trip due to a broken internal antenna mount.

I modified my Montana to prevent this from happening to me out on the trail, I typed up a How-To in case anyone else wants to modify theirs. Link Here: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy
Great writeup there! Thanks for that.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #3943
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Hodakaguy,

Thanks for taking the time to write it and include the pictures. With that anyone should be able to disassemble and reassemble their Montana. I know I will be saving a copy on my computer and also printing it out for safe keeping.

For those that don't have a hot glue gun do you think a piece of foam placed between the case and antenna would work?

Also, were there any tamper seals you had to break to take it apart? If not, and you think the foam would work as well as hot glue, then this would be a mod that could be done and reversed if the unit had to go in for warranty work.

Jon...
Hi John, I was originally going to add a thin piece of sticky back foam to the back of the antenna as well as the hot glue, but when I went to re-assemble the unit it felt like the foam was putting pressure on the circuit board and causing the board to bend slightly when tightening the screws. I didn't want to take a chance so I removed the foam and just went with the hot glue.

No tamper seals....and if you had a thinner piece of sticky foam that may just work. I'll add that into the How-To.

Thanks.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #3944
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Hodakaguy,

Jon...

Great question as I too thought that this glue could pose some difficulty if doing a warranty return.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #3945
FatChance
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Great question as I too thought that this glue could pose some difficulty if doing a warranty return.
Why do this procedure while the unit is under warranty in the first place? If the antenna comes loose while in use within the warranty period (or maybe even a little beyond since it is a new model), I have every reason to believe that Garmin would fix or replace it, right? And if the device were not under warranty, then it wouldn't matter to Garmin if you did this or not.