ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #3961
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Just to drive home the point, warranty replacement or newly purchased units will NOT fix the problem mentioned above. This is a design issue in all mfg Montana's to date, which requires the discussed easy workaround.
I must have missed that part of the discussion (we're up to > 260 pages so far!). I did try a piece of card wedged at the end of the battery as well as another on top. Are you talking about a regular earplug squished between the battery and the cover?

The trouble with anything on top of the battery is that it has the potential of "pushing" the battery cover up a little and this will cause the seal around the cover to lose integrity, allowing moisture to penetrate if you're using the unit in the rain/fog. The unit is, after all, supposed to be waterproof.
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #3962
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
So, EmmB looks like I own you one of these

where do you want it shipped
I think you should donate it to a local charity...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #3963
AvidRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
pics ????????
OK, I added the pics . So if you want to give your eyes a break from the buttplug above, go to the top of this page.

AvidRider screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 03:01 PM
AvidRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #3964
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
I must have missed that part of the discussion (we're up to > 260 pages so far!). I did try a piece of card wedged at the end of the battery as well as another on top. Are you talking about a regular earplug squished between the battery and the cover?

The trouble with anything on top of the battery is that it has the potential of "pushing" the battery cover up a little and this will cause the seal around the cover to lose integrity, allowing moisture to penetrate if you're using the unit in the rain/fog. The unit is, after all, supposed to be waterproof.
I don't have the problem with the battery but the cover seems loose to me without an ear plug. It is loose enough that I would put a baggy over the Montana if I were forced to ride in the rain! GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #3965
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
I don't have the problem with the battery but the cover seems loose to me without an ear plug. It is loose enough that I would put a baggy over the Montana if I were forced to ride in the rain! GH
I'd call Garmin to see what can be done about your loose cover. it should seal plenty tight enough to keep out rain. does anyone know what Montana is rated underwater for? low depth for 30 minutes?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #3966
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Off topic question- Are there any open source (Free) marine maps available for the Montana? Garmin is proud of the Blue Charts!! GH
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #3967
AvidRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Off topic question- Are there any open source (Free) marine maps available for the Montana? Garmin is proud of the Blue Charts!! GH
Speaking of off topic. Apple selected TomTom to provide its new turn-by-turn maps.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #3968
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidRider View Post
Speaking of off topic. Apple selected TomTom to provide its new turn-by-turn maps.
I thought TomTom was Gone. GH
Old 06-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #3969
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I thought TomTom was Gone. GH
TomTom folded their manufacturing of small handheld devices but is still a player in other ways.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #3970
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 25,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think you should donate it to a local bioweapons lab...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #3971
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
Found what seems to me to be a significant bug. Of course, maybe I am missing something.

Upon saving the current track, it prompts to clear the current track. I select yes, thinking that this is referring to the track that I just saved. I then notice that all of my Route 4 and Route 5 tracks of the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route are gone. There was a single gpx file I had for each route I placed in the gpx folder on my sd card. Each gpx file had multiple tracks.

I had selected "show on map" for several tracks from each gpx file, so the "clear current track", must have also cleared the gpx files which had tracks showing.

I don't carry a laptop. Thankfully I have my Android phone to manage the files on the SD card. I have a separate folder with various tracks that I move to the gpx folder because I don't want to clog the track manager. I was able to resolve the issue by copying the gpx files into the gpx folder again, replacing the files that were already there.

Anyone else noticed this? Am I missing something?

I had visions of me having to connect my gps to my desktop remotely through usb over rdp, like I had to do a couple years ago with my 60csx. One of the key factors in me purchasing the Montana was the ability to load and manage tracks with nothing more than an Android phone.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #3972
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:

My wife and I have ridden through lots of rain with the earplug in the battery case and never did we see any moisture getting into the battery case. The earplug compresses a lot until it's practically flat when the cover's closed on it. I could show you a picture of what it looks like when I open the case but the Montana's at home, and I'm at work.

And for those who worry about getting the Rugged Mount wet, or plugging the Montana into a wet RM, or what will happen if heavy rain hits the RM while the Montana's on it?

The answer is: nothing.

It just works.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #3973
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,107
Fair play, I can see what folks mean about the closure being held away from the seal if material to clamp the battery is put on the battery, I did it myself when on a trip and have the 'battery authentication' type error message.
Now I have the spong earplugs in and so far, no error message.
I still for the life of me wonder why Garmin have thought I need to know whether I have a blag battery in the unit, as a set of AA cells can be made by many a company, so i guess the 'rechargeable cell' could be too.....? I don't care who makes them as long as this GPS keeps working.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #3974
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
I must have missed that part of the discussion (we're up to > 260 pages so far!). I did try a piece of card wedged at the end of the battery as well as another on top. Are you talking about a regular earplug squished between the battery and the cover ?

Better then before, but I still have unexpected shutdowns.

Paul Jr 8
Old 06-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #3975
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
This is a bit of overkill but at least you know where to look if you need an earplug for its original purpose.