ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #3961
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidrider View Post
removed the gpsmap 478 (with its locking touratech mount and associated ram paraphernalia) and wired up the montana 600 to the good old fuzeblock.

I decided to forgo a tt and ram combo and instead mounted the garmin rm directly to the crossbars of my '01 r1150gs. It seems to work like a charm. Went on a short test ride and the unit is easy to see, easy to reach and easy to use.

In case anyone wants to do the same thing, i bought a bicycle inner tube for five bucks, cut several strips off of it and glued each strip to the back of the rm where it would contact the crossbar and to the inside of each of the u-clamps that would secure the rm to the crossbar.

The thin pieces of rubber provide isolation and some limited play yet the unit is solid when using the touchscreen. I can wiggle the unit slightly when i grab it but it doesn't vibrate, doesn't slip or move and the angle is great even in direct sunlight.

For those who wish the simplest install (other than putting the thing in a tankbag) this is probably it. The rubber inner tube seems to be the trick.

Cheers
pics ????????
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #3962
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Put the GOOP tube in the sun before use and it becomes a lot easier (lower viscosity) to drizzle less of it in the correct wanted spots. With glue sometimes (like most times) less is more.
Good idea... I've been re-reading the process as described by HodakaGuy. Just might do it myself.

But today my gps started going weird, like the invisible man was making selections on the screen and not letting me back out of his choices.

The gps had been sitting in the hot sun and I think that had something to do with it. Looked like heat in the display caused issues. If those problems continue, then I'll send the 650 back before the warranty expires.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #3963
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Sun cover

Have you seen anything like this that fits the Montana ?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #3964
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Have you seen anything like this that fits the Montana ?

Make one!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #3965
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Make one!
My bike is in a complete tear down and rebuild process. One of the items to do is I am making a Carbon Finer Dash panel. The sun shade may be incorporated. I love toying with carbon. I will post pics here once completed, in a month or so.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #3966
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
My bike is in a complete tear down and rebuild process. One of the items to do is I am making a Carbon Finer Dash panel. The sun shade may be incorporated. I love toying with carbon. I will post pics here once completed, in a month or so.
Please do! I know myself and many others will be interested!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #3967
AvidRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
pics ????????
Was too lazy. I'll try later this week.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #3968
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Just returned from a 2 day trip (rain, snow, and sleet we had it all) with 2 montana's in our group, both units failed on day 1 with auto shutdown, loss of SD drive and unsupported battery error . We were riding a lot of single track trails so conditions were extreme for electronic devices.

On the evening of day 1 we inspected both units and turns out the foam earplug insert was not present. We somehow both forgot to put this back into our units.

On day 2, with foam inserted added and more extreme rocky trails, no failures. Just wanted to drive home securing the battery is a must do mod for this generation of Montana.

Hodakaguy, nice write up !!! Looking forward to reading your ride report this week. Remote sections of NV is one of my favorite places to ride....
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #3969
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Just returned from a 2 day trip (rain, snow, and sleet we had it all) with 2 montana's in our group, both units failed on day 1 with auto shutdown, loss of SD drive and unsupported battery error . We were riding a lot of single track trails so conditions were extreme for electronic devices.
Recently had the same - unsupported battery error, repeated shutdowns & restarts.

Am currently awaiting a replacement unit from Garmin . Since my unit is less than one month old, I made sure they are replacing with a new unit and not a refurb. Only real downside is that once I get the new unit, I will have to call support to make sure my map products are unlocked for the new unit.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #3970
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Recently had the same - unsupported battery error, repeated shutdowns & restarts.

Am currently awaiting a replacement unit from Garmin . Since my unit is less than one month old, I made sure they are replacing with a new unit and not a refurb. Only real downside is that once I get the new unit, I will have to call support to make sure my map products are unlocked for the new unit.
Will a new unit fix the problem? I thought it was a well known issue with all Montanas and that the only fix was to add a foamy earplug or some other mechanism to support the battery in the device?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #3971
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Will a new unit fix the problem? I thought it was a well known issue with all Montanas and that the only fix was to add a foamy earplug or some other mechanism to support the battery in the device?
It's very unlikely a new unit will cure the problem unless Garmin starts adding an earplug (or the equivalent) under the battery cover.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 07:58 AM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #3972
dvwalker
Working to ride

Just to drive home the point, warranty replacement or newly purchased units will NOT fix the problem mentioned above. This is a design issue in all mfg Montana's to date, which requires the discussed easy workaround.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #3973
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

How long ?

What is the warranty / return period when buying a new Montana ?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #3974
dvwalker
Working to ride

Quote:
What is the warranty / return period when buying a new Montana ?
one year, garmin link

After one year, Garmin has the $170 out-of-warranty replacement program
Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #3975
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
First road test

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Taking any bets on this?
Sure - one foam (slightly used) earplug
Just returned for a 600 mile road test and the Montana worked great - Not like the last time when it seemed like the Montana had a mind of it's own But that was before EmmB reminded my about the earplug. Next week I'll do a off-road test but I believe the ear plug solved the constant reboot/nomaps/freeze problems.

So, EmmB looks like I own you one of these

where do you want it shipped

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote