ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #4006
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It only takes one earplug between the cover and the battery to make the Montana stop giving "Unsupported Battery" messages in my experience.
Maybe your not trying hard enough ... Don't worry. It will get worse over time.

Paul Jr
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #4007
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Maybe your not trying hard enough ... Don't worry. It will get worse over time.

Paul Jr
I don't ride a paint shaker so it's unlikely I'll ever find out.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #4008
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
thanks for reposting this bit. My various map img's were not showing up correctly in basecamp. Now after using Gmaptool and updating the img files on my SD card all is well.

This could come in handy down the road when out on the trail and need to make an emergency track update, without a laptop in tow. Just need to find a PC in a hotel, cafe, etc, install BC and plug-in the montana. I also saved a copy of the BC installer onto my Montana SD card, just in case.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #4009
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer H View Post
Here is a solution some of you may want to consider... http://www.mixitproducts.com/

It is a bit on the pricey side, but it definitely solved my issue. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it works well for me.
I know a few folks that use them and they do like them a lot. I wish it had Bluetooth at that price. Although it probably would work with a BT dongle.

Back to the Montana...

I've been debating on which GPS to mount on my GS and while playing around with different locations I noticed that the display on my Zumo 550 is brighter than the Montana. That really surprised me because I think everything I have read says the Montana display should be better (brighter). And yes, I did make sure the brightness was turned up.

I have not ridden the bike with them on it yet so my observation may change once I get out on the road in the daylight.

Jon...
Old 06-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #4010
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
thanks for reposting this bit. My various map img's were not showing up correctly in basecamp. Now after using Gmaptool and updating the img files on my SD card all is well.

This could come in handy down the road when out on the trail and need to make an emergency track update, without a laptop in tow. Just need to find a PC in a hotel, cafe, etc, install BC and plug-in the montana. I also saved a copy of the BC installer onto my Montana SD card, just in case.
I wonder if you could install Basecamp on your memory stick, or make a portable app out of BC?

Happy to hear GMapTool worked for you.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #4011
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:

Wish I could have found this earlier. I was in the exact situation this past week when I needed to redo some routing due to a change in itinerary. I plugged in the Montana and could only see the basemap and an OSM map. I'll have to try the GMaptool.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #4012
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Wish I could have found this earlier. I was in the exact situation this past week when I needed to redo some routing due to a change in itinerary. I plugged in the Montana and could only see the basemap and an OSM map. I'll have to try the GMaptool.
I've posted that information at least twice before. Did you not read from page one?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #4013
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
After 420 miles that day I just wanted to eat dinner and go to bed.

I wanted an answer spoon-fed to me.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #4014
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
After 420 miles that day I just wanted to eat dinner and go to bed.

I wanted an answer spoon-fed to me.
I understand. I was out of spoons that day.

I wrote up something about the problem in the latest Wisdom and FAQ post.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #4015
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Actually, the Scala intercom has an audio input for a cable, so that would allow me to plug the Rugged Mount output to the headset. If I felt the need, that is.
Just to follow up on this idea I got the cable out for my Scala headset and plugged the Rugged Mount output into the Scala and it sounds great! The Scala is a little difficult to set up intially but now that I've been using the G4 for a couple of months, I like it a lot.

The thing to keep in mind with the Scala is that each input/function, be it the cable in, Bluetooth, FM Radio, intercom etc has its OWN volume setting. So when you're in a particular mode, like the gps audio through the cable, that's the only time you can change the volume level for that function, and when you do change it, it gets saved without affecting the volume of the other input/functions.

You can just see the coiled cable connected to the Scala base, at the back of the unit. The cable's a perfect length for this application.

Ok, back to Montana news: it sure is funny to hear Dr Nightmare say in his ghoulish voice "Let me consult my magic book" when he's recalculating...
Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #4016
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:

So, downloaded and installed Gmaptool, Now what???

Or, if I have to ask, stay the heck away???
Old 06-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #4017
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,748
Emmbeedee, thanks for the tip of using hose on the security tool. I just lost my 2nd cap.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #4018
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Emmbeedee, thanks for the tip of using hose on the security tool. I just lost my 2nd cap.
No problem. I'd send you one of the ones I stopped using but my wife wanted it. She likes having the factory part on there, while I prefer the tube.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #4019
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
So, downloaded and installed Gmaptool, Now what???

Or, if I have to ask, stay the heck away???
I created a little Jing video screen capture showing how to make it work. There's only ambient noise in the video - dogs, tractors, nothing interesting. But it shows how easy the process is.

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.>

Make sure you have backups of your maps, just in case. Don't work directly on your Montana, whatever you do. If you make a mistake and cause your Montana to become unresponsive, you can just take the SD card out and the Montana will start up normally.

If your maps are on a uSD card, take it out of the Montana, make a complete copy of it and use that to work on.
  1. Backup everything.
  2. Backup everything.
  3. Open Gmaptool
  4. Click on "Add Files"
  5. Browse to the map directory X:\Garmin (Substitute your drive letter)
  6. Select the file (you can do one at a time if you want - probably safer to do so)
  7. Go to the "Options" Tab
  8. Select "Advanced Options" (You only need to set this once)
  9. Go to the "Write" tab
  10. Select "Set Version in Header"
  11. Add 0 in "MS" field (Number Zero)
  12. Click "Write All"

That's it. Then eject the SD card, put it into your gps and plug the gps into your computer, then run Basecamp.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 04:37 AM
Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #4020
2strokeClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I know a few folks that use them and they do like them a lot. I wish it had Bluetooth at that price. Although it probably would work with a BT dongle.

Back to the Montana...

I've been debating on which GPS to mount on my GS and while playing around with different locations I noticed that the display on my Zumo 550 is brighter than the Montana. That really surprised me because I think everything I have read says the Montana display should be better (brighter). And yes, I did make sure the brightness was turned up.

I have not ridden the bike with them on it yet so my observation may change once I get out on the road in the daylight.

Jon...
I have put a few miles on my GS with a Montana 650 rugged mounted via ram ball to mirror mount on the left side. If I am on the street in the daylight, I turn the back light off and can read the screen almost as well as as at 100% back light. If I get in the shade, I might need to turn on the back light. I usually run a motocross helmet, and in the day I have tinted goggles or use sunglasses. I havent had any issues seeing the screen. I have noticed that at highway speed, the bike vibrates so much, it auto rotates all by itself.
2strokeClay is offline   Reply With Quote