ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #4006
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeClay View Post
I have noticed that at highway speed, the bike vibrates so much, it auto rotates all by itself.
It is possible to lock the screen orientation to avoid this problem. I do it in a profile so that it can be changed quickly when needed. One profile for riding which locks the screen, another for planning that enables auto rotation.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #4007
2strokeClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
It is possible to lock the screen orientation to avoid this problem. I do it in a profile so that it can be changed quickly when needed. One profile for riding which locks the screen, another for planning that enables auto rotation.
Good point. I probalby should have mentioned that I did indeed lock it for my "Motorcycle" profile. (It would also rotate when I went around corners. That means no chicken stips, right?)

I put it in my car on the "Automotive" profile since my speedometer is not very accurate, and I just got a Garmin FR60 heart rate monitor from gpscity, and I intend to use it on the "Fitness" profile. This is my first GPS, I intend to get as much out of it as I can. I hope to see just how versitile it is...I plan to put it on my dirt bike, use it on a boat, and hope to get in to a little geocaching.

2strokeClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #4008
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
I just got a Garmin FR60 heart rate monitor from gpscity, and I intend to use it on the "Fitness" profile.
If you use that on a motorcycle profile you can tell how much fun you are having

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #4009
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,053
Quote:
Good point. I probalby should have mentioned that I did indeed lock it for my "Motorcycle" profile. (It would also rotate when I went around corners. That means no chicken stips, right?)

I put it in my car on the "Automotive" profile since my speedometer is not very accurate, and I just got a Garmin FR60 heart rate monitor from gpscity, and I intend to use it on the "Fitness" profile. This is my first GPS, I intend to get as much out of it as I can. I hope to see just how versitile it is...
Don't forget Geocaching - there's no better way to get used to it.

Also, you know it's got a built-in alarm clock?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #4010
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,774
Well, after reading through much of this thread over the past couple of days, I began very excited about the Montana, but after looking through all the information, I don't see much reason to move away from the 478 I've been using for the past couple of years.

But I'm not sure. The Montana looks like a great GPS. A few things which I don't like about the 478 is the crappy antenna. I lose signal quite a bit. It's never been a big issue, but the newer antenna design would be much better. Also, the UI for the 478 is a little dated and non-intuitive. I navigate to a lot of addresses, and the 478 is just not very good for entering the address. It's very tedious, and if you mess up, you often times have to start over from scratch.

One thing I really like about the 478 is the custom road preferences:

I don't always plan my route ahead of time, so I'll just set my destination and have the 478 route me and I've been quite happy with how that works. It appears that the Montana does not have this option. In fact, a few posts in this thread have described the Montana's routing as "rudimentary." Does it have avoidances or a way to keep to the back roads and off the highways?

Perhaps I missed an update, but early in the thread, it was mentioned that the Montana doesn't support waypoint categories. Though not a dealbreaker, I have all my waypoints divided by category; it makes organization much neater. Did they add that feature yet?

The touch screen seems like a big plus to me, too.

Anyone go from a 478 to the Montana? Thoughts? Comparison?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #4011
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
At $159, I'll say it is a bit pricey!!

So, if all you want to do is get two inputs to your earbuds, the Montana and a Nano, and don't care about overrides or volume control, how do you determine if a Y cord is going to damage those two particular units? Embeedee? DRTBYK? anyone tried this without problems?
With most modern electronics, a y cable is unlikely to cause damage. What you will notice is noise and lack of volume, since the load presented to your earbuds is double, and the two units will compete with each other. You need to isolate the two sources.
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #4012
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Well, after reading through much of this thread over the past couple of days, I began very excited about the Montana, but after looking through all the information, I don't see much reason to move away from the 478 I've been using for the past couple of years.

But I'm not sure. The Montana looks like a great GPS. A few things which I don't like about the 478 is the crappy antenna. I lose signal quite a bit. It's never been a big issue, but the newer antenna design would be much better. Also, the UI for the 478 is a little dated and non-intuitive. I navigate to a lot of addresses, and the 478 is just not very good for entering the address. It's very tedious, and if you mess up, you often times have to start over from scratch.

One thing I really like about the 478 is the custom road preferences:

I don't always plan my route ahead of time, so I'll just set my destination and have the 478 route me and I've been quite happy with how that works. It appears that the Montana does not have this option. In fact, a few posts in this thread have described the Montana's routing as "rudimentary." Does it have avoidances or a way to keep to the back roads and off the highways?

Perhaps I missed an update, but early in the thread, it was mentioned that the Montana doesn't support waypoint categories. Though not a dealbreaker, I have all my waypoints divided by category; it makes organization much neater. Did they add that feature yet?

The touch screen seems like a big plus to me, too.

Anyone go from a 478 to the Montana? Thoughts? Comparison?

Jamie
I've never has a 478, but if you're basing your research on this thread, a lot of progress has been made in many respects so many of the gripes/annoyances are long resolved.

The Montana does allow you a lot of choices in the routing. Here are some Montana screen captures you might find useful.

To me, one of the best things about the Montana series is the "Profiles".

I suggest you try one out yourself; you're the only one who can tell if these things are worth it to you.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 10:14 AM
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #4013
AvidRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
That's what I've discovered too. My motorcycle profile is setup to avoid almost all the options in the avoid screen. The only option missing would be a "scenic" route as it still won't pick the most motorcycle friendly roads.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #4014
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,876
I been meaning to post this, but keep forgetting.

Around 4.X upgrade I ran into a problem with my shortcuts.

I have shortcuts, to do things (actions) like Track log on, track log off, show track, do not show track, etc.

I also have 2 profiles I created in use. ADV and Auto. I use the same shortcuts (in same menu locations so I can find them) across both profile menu screens.

before upgrade, I could click on the icon and it would show highlighted, then return to normal view after action was complete.
After 4.x upgrade, when I clicked on icon it would show highlighted, but stick highlighted until I changed view screens.
I can actually click on 1 shortcut icon, then another and they will both show highlighted, until I hit an arrow key to change menu screens.

Now I discovered that shortcuts must end with an application (I just used map) or they will appear to hang when you press the icon. I edited all these action shortcuts so application MAP (instead of none) is configured.
Now when I press the icon, action takes place, and Map appears.

I would prefer to not have to end shortcuts with an application, but if that's what works, i guess I have to.

FYI.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #4015
TowPro
Getting there

I might have missed the post here (been busy) but when I plugged my Montana into basecame today it installed 4.20
Old 06-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #4016
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I been meaning to post this, but keep forgetting.

Around 4.X upgrade I ran into a problem with my shortcuts.

I have shortcuts, to do things (actions) like Track log on, track log off, show track, do not show track, etc.

I also have 2 profiles I created in use. ADV and Auto. I use the same shortcuts (in same menu locations so I can find them) across both profile menu screens.

before upgrade, I could click on the icon and it would show highlighted, then return to normal view after action was complete.
After 4.x upgrade, when I clicked on icon it would show highlighted, but stick highlighted until I changed view screens.
I can actually click on 1 shortcut icon, then another and they will both show highlighted, until I hit an arrow key to change menu screens.

Now I discovered that shortcuts must end with an application (I just used map) or they will appear to hang when you press the icon. I edited all these action shortcuts so application MAP (instead of none) is configured.
Now when I press the icon, action takes place, and Map appears.

I would prefer to not have to end shortcuts with an application, but if that's what works, i guess I have to.

FYI.
Not sure how you have your shortcuts set up but I created a shortcut which toggles the track log, it's in the fourth field down in Shortcut Setup, and called "Setup 1", with no Application chosen, and it seems to work as it should.

I added it to the "Shortcuts" menu which I have enabled on a single push on the power button, and when I choose the shortcut it become highlighted for half a second, and does what it's supposed to, then exits that screen.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #4017
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I might have missed the post here (been busy) but when I plugged my Montana into basecame today it installed 4.20
Yeehaw!

Running WebUpdater gives the update, with the following changes:

Changes from version 4.10 to version 4.20:
Added ability to sort waypoints alphabetically

Improved search speed in Where To? menus
Fixed review of individual route points through the Route Planner
Fixed issue with the Glide Ratio data field
Fixed occasional map display issue when using Topo Deutschland 2012 Pro or Garmin TransAlpin 2012 Pro

Just compared my 650 with 4.20 and my wife's 650 with 4.10 and there's a new "Sort" field that allows you to sort by "Nearest" or "Alphabetical" in the menu in "Waypoint Manager" and in "Where To/Waypoints".

Yay!

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 12:28 PM
Old 06-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #4018
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not sure how you have your shortcuts set up but I created a shortcut which toggles the track log, it's in the fourth field down in Shortcut Setup, and called "Setup 1", with no Application chosen, and it seems to work as it should.

I added it to the "Shortcuts" menu which I have enabled on a single push on the power button, and when I choose the shortcut it become highlighted for half a second, and does what it's supposed to, then exits that screen.
Mine don't do that. When I switched to the first 4.x beta they stopped working correct. when I went back to 3.9 production they still seemed to freeze when I pressed them (even though they still do the action correct).

I just deleted it, created a new one Track Log On
Setup , Track, Track log, Record, Show On Map
No application

same thing, touch icon and it highlights. it stays highlighted until I press an arrow key to change screens.

Maybe I need to do a master reset, then rebuilt it again.
remind me how to do the master reset ? (I have only done it 2 or 3 times and don't recall) :(

TowPro screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 12:24 PM
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #4019
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
remind me how to do the master reset ? (I have only done it 2 or 3 times and don't recall) :(
It's in post 4 of the Wisdom and FAQ thread.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #4020
TowPro
Getting there

I am looking to copy a .gdb file out of basecamp, so I can convert it with GPSbable to Delorme.

But where is the folder "my Collection" found on a windows machine? What directory is it below?
I can't seem to find it.