ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #4066
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I'm mapping out the TAT using a Mac and basecamp. I just came to a road that was not on basecamp,but was on my map from Sam,as well as on my Delorme Atlas. I tried using the selector tool to "force it do direct route(which is what I had it set to at that moment),but it wouldn't work. Is there a way I can drop way points or via points where there is no road and force it to connect?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #4067
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I'm mapping out the TAT using a Mac and basecamp. I just came to a road that was not on basecamp,but was on my map from Sam,as well as on my Delorme Atlas. I tried using the selector tool to "force it do direct route(which is what I had it set to at that moment),but it wouldn't work. Is there a way I can drop way points or via points where there is no road and force it to connect?
If Sam"s TAT maps shows a road and BaseCamp doesn't..use your "track" tool to force a "track" road across to the next roads connection. As a matter try to always use "tracks" instead of "routes" while GPS mapping the TAT.

Am I right Montana Gurus ??

Cheers..
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #4068
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
What is the "track tool"? I did convert the route to a track when I finished that state. I am also using City Nav. North Amer 2012.4 map as my map choice-I didn't try to connect my Montana to the computer so I could see the topo maps-wonder if that would make a difference?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #4069
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFaller View Post
So I'm having a unique problem with my montana that some of you may be able to help me with:

I recently had my montana exchanged because the antenna separated from the circuit board. when I got it back I reloaded my City Nav NT and it went on just fine, then added my Forest Service Trail Map, also fine, and a couple custom map images, and all was good. The problem is that for the life of me I cant get my Topo Maps to take.

I have a set of garmin mapsourse topos from back around 2002, they are 1:100,000 scale and they worked great before.

now when I install them (via map installer) it acts like all is good, it takes about an hour to send all the western U.S. to my gps, then when its all complete and i reboot the montana there is nothing, and the maps arent listed in the map select window....

any tips?

I solved my own problem...

I think there is a problem with the stand-alone map loader as well as the basecamp map uploader, because when I tried again in Mapsource the Topo's loaded just fine....

Stupid thing.
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #4070
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious View Post
Is there a way to change the sort order for tracks that you load into the Montana? ....
Yes, there is but they are then sorted by date. If you transfer your Tracks to the Garmin/GPX/Archive folder, they will display by File Date. This may not solve your problem but it does give you another option.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #4071
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
What is the "track tool"? I did convert the route to a track when I finished that state. I am also using City Nav. North Amer 2012.4 map as my map choice-I didn't try to connect my Montana to the computer so I could see the topo maps-wonder if that would make a difference?
This is the Track Tool in Mac-BaseCamp:

As Abenteuerfahrer noted, it would be easier to use the Route Tool when there are roads that match up with the TAT maps and then convert them to Tracks. When you come to a unmapped road section in the TAT, just use the Track Tool to create a track of that section and "add" it to the previous or following Track section.

As a data point you can, using Mac-BaseCamp only, create a "mixed-route" (a route with both Direct and Along-road sections).

To create a mixed-route:
  1. Start by using one of the Along-road Activity's to map your route.
  2. When you come to a segment where your want to go "off-road" on the map, just move the cursor over to the Route in your List and select it. Open the Route Properties window and change the Activity to Direct.
  3. The Route on the map will change to a Direct Route but don't worry, just use the Cmd-Z (undo) and the Route will revert back to the Along-road route you had before. Now with the Activity still set to Direct the next via point you place will be in Direct Activity mode.
  4. Continue placing your via points until you get back to a routable road on the Map.
  5. When you want to go back to Along-road routing, just change the Activity in the Route Properties window and you're Along-road routing again. You can repeat the steps above as many times as you like to create your route.

I then recommend converting your mixed-route to a Track.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #4072
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
This is my Feature Request list "open items" for the Montana. If you like/want any of these and haven't expressed it to the Montana Team please do so. If you have others...?

Feature & Description
  1. Four Corner - Transparent Data Fields. Please provide an additional Dashboard option for Small (1/3 smaller than the current "Small") Transparent-background, Configurable Data fields in the four corners of the Map screen similar to the zumo 660's More Map View or the GPSMAP 478.
  2. Track Manager - Options. Provide a Setting tab option on the main Track Manager screen to: "Show All Tracks on Map", "Hide All Tracks on Map", "Delete All Tracks".
  3. Waypoint Categories. Support Waypoint Categories
  4. Waypoint Contact Info. Support Waypoint Contact Info Fields (Street Address, City, State, ZIP, Country, Phone #'s)
  5. Display - Screen Capture. Save Screen Capture setting in Profile
  6. Where To? Search - Along Active Route. When navigating; Option to search "Along Active Route"
  7. Power Management - Option. Keep unit on when External Power is lost as a Profile setting.
  8. Multiple Trip Odometers. Multiple Independently resettable Trip Odometers
  9. TracBack - Shortcut. One touch shortcut for TracBack
  10. Camera Settings. Provide Camera settings (Resolution and Storage Location) as part of the Profile data.
  11. Save Current Track Shortcut option. Provide a Shortcut Setting for Track - Save Current Track. Allow this setting to be combined with Clear Current Track as part of a "Save and Clear" Shortcut.
  12. Track - "Show on Map". Please save the Track "Show on Map" selection in the GPX data so that when a Track is shared with other GPS it will show on the Map as defined in the GPX data - just like Color selection is saved.
  13. Shortcut "Setup" - Indicate Option(s). Indicate the Setup Options applied to a Shortcut using # and Alfa combo for each option selected.
  14. Resettable Odometer. A Shortcut / Reset option to reset the Odometer without having to preform a Master Reset. (dacrazyrn)
  15. Data field for voltage from Mount.
  16. Display setting to allow Topo data to be hidden, showing Major and/or Minor topo lines at greater than specified zoom level.
  17. Track Manager/Waypoint Manager/Route Planner - please add the ability to "sort by Alphanumeric" to these data lists.
  18. Security Lock: "PIN" code and location support.
  19. Route Edit - Make all Routes on the Montana Editable whether created on or transferred to the Montana.

By the way, I have a spreadsheet where I track these and what version they were provided in (if any).

Cheers,

I wanted to bring this list up and absolutely agree that all of these updates would be highly desirable for the Montana! A few also apply to the Oregon! My biggest gripe with both is #2 on the list. These units NEED a way to Show and Hide All the Tracks! Apparently the e-mail address that DRTBYK references in the post (MontanaBeta@garmin.com) doesn't fall on deaf ears, but they aren't going to listed to one or two of us. There is also OregonBeta@garmin.com for owners of that unit. Another option that a sympathetic (old dirtbiker who wants a KTM 990! ) Customer Support Rep told me about today is the Garmin Forum! They have a "Feature Requests" subforum under the Garmin Connect forum. Technically it is for the Garmin Connect service, but the Customer Service Rep said the device engineers also monitor that forum. Here is a Direct Link to the Feature Requests Forum. We have to let them know we want this functionality or it just will not get done.
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #4073
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
I wanted to bring this list up and absolutely agree that all of these updates would be highly desirable for the Montana! A few also apply to the Oregon! My biggest gripe with both is #2 on the list. These units NEED a way to Show and Hide All the Tracks!
I couldn't agree more. I finally upgraded to the Montana this past weekend from my 6 year old, faithful, GPSmap 60cx, and the biggest reason was better track capabilities. When I discovered the tracks had to be individually toggled, and the sorting couldn't be user defined (e.g. by name vs. the apparent proximity order), I was a bit let down.
Gregarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #4074
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 981
Tat

Quote:
I just finished making tracks for the entire tat, do it in google earth ( u actually see road) them open up in basecamp
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #4075
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious View Post
I couldn't agree more. I finally upgraded to the Montana this past weekend from my 6 year old, faithful, GPSmap 60cx, and the biggest reason was better track capabilities. When I discovered the tracks had to be individually toggled, and the sorting couldn't be user defined (e.g. by name vs. the apparent proximity order), I was a bit let down.
Well little by little, we did receive 1/3 of #17 on the master list in the last release. The waypoint sort setting sticks, like it should, so one needs to remember to set from Alpha back to Nearest if that is preferred.

The Montana really does need many of the other enhancement items though...dev team has been mainly concerned with stability this past year, with a few bones (route no-calc) here and there...
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #4076
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
..dev team has been mainly concerned with stability this past year, with a few bones (route no-calc) here and there...
For me personally, stability is #1 on my list. But then I do not use the Montana at the level most in this thread use it. If I did, I'm sure the other things that have been added, or folks would like to see added, would be higher on my list.

Also, a quick thanks for all the knowledge that is being shared here. I've learned a lot more about the Montana, and GPS's in general, than I thought possible.

Jon...
Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #4077
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Well little by little, we did receive 1/3 of #17 on the master list in the last release. The waypoint sort setting sticks, like it should, so one needs to remember to set from Alpha back to Nearest if that is preferred.
1/3? How does one get 1/3 of Alphanumeric? With the option to "filter" by Symbol, the resultant list is still sorted by distance. Did I miss something? That has happened a few times in my life. . .

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #4078
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
1/3? How does one get 1/3 of Alphanumeric? With the option to "filter" by Symbol, the resultant list is still sorted by distance. Did I miss something? That has happened a few times in my life. . .
You did know that version 4.20, available through WebUpdater, does give Alphanumeric sorting? At first I thought you were being facetious then I realized you may not have noticed a few pages back where we discussed it.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #4079
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You did know that version 4.20, available through WebUpdater, does give Alphanumeric sorting? At first I thought you were being facetious then I realized you may not have noticed a few pages back where we discussed it.
Alpha sorting is only available with waypoints. Would be nice to extend to all POI categories as well as tracks, routes, etc.

I would suggest that we have note even received 1/10th of this feature with firmware 4.20.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #4080
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Alpha sorting is only available with waypoints. Would be nice to extend to all POI categories as well as tracks, routes, etc.

I would suggest that we have note even received 1/10th of this feature with firmware 4.20.
I realize that, and the message I responded to from Dan was about waypoints.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote