ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #4111
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think that's what dvwalker did. Looking at the screen shot, I'd bet on it.

In fact, it says so: 3. plug Montana into any Windows XP/7 PC and run BaseCamp.exe

I never even looked at the screen shot that close but you are correct. I just assumed he had it loaded on a thumb drive. Putting it on the card in the Montana is perfect because will always have it with you.

Jon...
Old 06-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #4112
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Bob, Not a query, an observation. I understand the limits of the Montana and most other Garmin GPS's. The point I was attempting to make (feebly) was that there is no error message for Along-road Routes over 50pts. There use to be. Maybe it's just my Montana that's not working as it should.

Cheers,
I'm on V4.20 and if I load a 50+ point route when my routing is set to Motorcycle (i.e. Follow Road) then I get the eror message "Only 50 points can be used for follow road navigation" and press "OK" and screen returns to map screen. With 60CSx you went back to the choose routing method screen.

When routing method is set to Prompted or Direct it just loads the 50+ point route and it's Navigating.

If yours doesn't work like this perhaps some setting in your Custom Profiles is affecting it. I did notice in both you On Road and Off Road profiles you use Follow Road routing.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #4113
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I'm on V4.20 and if I load a 50+ point route when my routing is set to Motorcycle (i.e. Follow Road) then I get the eror message "Only 50 points can be used for follow road navigation" and press "OK" and screen returns to map screen. With 60CSx you went back to the choose routing method screen.

When routing method is set to Prompted or Direct it just loads the 50+ point route and it's Navigating.

If yours doesn't work like this perhaps some setting in your Custom Profiles is affecting it. I did notice in both you On Road and Off Road profiles you use Follow Road routing.

Bob
If you're referring to my Profiles on the Montana Dropbox they are quite old but the "Lock On Road" parameter is set to Yes for my current Profile that is using Automobile Driving Activity.

I think I'll reinstall v4.20 and see if I get the appropriate error message.

UPDATE: I reloaded v4.20. Now I do receive the error message for over 50 points Along-road routes as long as the "Calculation Method" is not set to Prompted. If the Calculation Method is set to Prompted there is no error message and the unit just ignores the request to navigate the route. I think this error condition still needs some work. Seems to me that the unit should present the error (>50 points) condition as soon as you select the Route when the unit is in an Along-road Routing Activity. I can't see any reason why it should wait until you press the "GO" button. At any rate, the current software is inconsistent and needs fixing.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 12:14 PM
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #4114
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
... I reloaded v4.20. Now I do receive the error message for over 50 points Along-road routes as long as the "Calculation Method" is not set to Prompted. If the Calculation Method is set to Prompted there is no error message and the unit just ignores the request to navigate the route. ...,
Your unit seems to work quite differently to mine. Wonder if there are other settings that change this feature?

When I set the Routing Activity to "Prompted" and load a 101 point route (designed for Off Road routing), the route fully draws straight legs for the entire route. If I wait a few seconds before pressing "Go", the route redraws up to waypoint 50 and is shown along the roads. When I press "Go" I get the prompting screen to select Activity. Selecting any Activity EXCEPT "Direct Routing" brings up the "Over 50 ..."error message. Selecting "Direct" puts the unit into Navigation mode and the full 101 point route is shown on the screen and Waypoint 002 is shown as the next waypoint (correct, as Direct mode never routes you to 001).

Really, I think the unit is worked "as intended", it's just the developer probably doesn't know that previous Garmin units handled the 50 waypoint limit differently.

I have screen shots of each step above.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #4115
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Your unit seems to work quite differently to mine. Wonder if there are other settings that change this feature?

When I set the Routing Activity to "Prompted" and load a 101 point route (designed for Off Road routing), the route fully draws straight legs for the entire route. If I wait a few seconds before pressing "Go", the route redraws up to waypoint 50 and is shown along the roads. When I press "Go" I get the prompting screen to select Activity. Selecting any Activity EXCEPT "Direct Routing" brings up the "Over 50 ..."error message. Selecting "Direct" puts the unit into Navigation mode and the full 101 point route is shown on the screen and Waypoint 002 is shown as the next waypoint (correct, as Direct mode never routes you to 001).
You just made my point. . .

That is how it should work for Activity=Prompted, because the unit doesn't know which Activity you are going to use when you select a Route with >50pts.

But, if you have configured your Routing Settings such that the Activity=(any of the Along-road Routing modes), the unit should know that it can't calculate >50 points and show the error message as soon as the Route is selected to View Map, rather than sitting with the route displayed on the map or sometimes hanging the unit if the point count is >60pts.

My point has been that I'd like to see an early and consistent error message handler for this condition - otherwise, it just confuses those folks how don't know this stuff as we do.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #4116
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Why have the 50 point limit at all on such a new unit? The zumos don't have the limit, makes it harder to share routes...
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #4117
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would need anything near 50 waypoints for an along-road route.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #4118
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would need anything near 50 waypoints for an along-road route.
Shaping points.?
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #4119
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Shaping points.?
Yeah, but even still...
Old 06-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #4120
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 446
Quote:

I'm just guessing but from a route I got from someone else, this is what I saw: it was a dual sport route that if you tried routing from Point A to Point B using either faster time or shorter distance, you would not get the route you want. There were LOTS of turns. It had more than 50 points although it was created from a track. I tried to create a route with less points manually but it didn't work. But that was early on in Montana update history and some of the issues creating routes have been corrected.

So I don't know. Just guessing.

I've found that I like creating several routes for a big trip. I haven't counted but for my trip in August, I've created about a dozen routes. Some are simple point to point; others are "scenic" with lots of turns. It should be very manageable on the road.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #4121
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Unlike Canada our roads are pretty convoluted.

Seriously though if you are trying to follow an exact route it's pretty much impossible to do without using tracks. Especially if you want to get all riders on the same route.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #4122
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,903
latest best deal on Montana bundles???? Montana, rugged mount and maps.

Thanks!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #4123
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
We obviously use them in different ways, below is a small part of a 300km route which is split into three 100km parts and I still hit the limit on Montana, they work perfectly on the zumos...

konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #4124
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post
We obviously use them in different ways, below is a small part of a 300km route which is split into three 100km parts and I still hit the limit on Montana, they work perfectly on the zumos...
Perfect. . .!

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-24-2012, 04:37 AM   #4125
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post

No, I think we use them in the same way. It's just that in much of North America we don't have road networks that look like blood vessels and arteries. I've been back and forth across this continent numerous times and I've never needed anything close to 50 waypoints to construct an on-road route. I can see why you might need to, though, on those roads.