ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #4171
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
Nearly 2ooo ks over the next two weekends so that will sort it out- I also have trouble at times with loading tracks and routes and have to do it numurous times checking to see if has loaded and make sure when following routes with more than 50 points choose direct route
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #4172
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
I also have trouble at times with loading tracks and routes and have to do it numurous times checking to see if has loaded
Sounds like you might be using Mapsource to load the tracks and routes, if you're having that kind of trouble. Should be using BaseCamp to do that with the Montana.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #4173
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sounds like you might be using Mapsource to load the tracks and routes, if you're having that kind of trouble. Should be using BaseCamp to do that with the Montana.
Yeah your rite i use both but didnt realise {until now } it was mapsource [depends what riders send the tracks to me in}-will send to basecamp then load them from now on -thanks mate
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #4174
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
I'm at about 6,000mi in the last month with the new Montana and have had the whiteouts since taking it from the Ram mount and putting it in the Rugged mount on the dash. I too have come to the conclusion that it's VIBRATION related.
I shake the thing somewhat. Always off-road. As far as I am concerned, on the Rugged Mount without battery, it nevers shutdowns. With batterry, it shut downs every 2 minutes or so ...

Paul Jr
Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #4175
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
This is something I knew nothing about, but will look into it, thanks

Cheers
TS
So were you able to sort out your Geocache loading issue? If it's Groundspeak Pocket Queries you're loading, all you need to do is load the query_name.gpx into the \Garmin\gpx folder and the gps just swallows it up whole and shows you the caches.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #4176
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
I shake the thing somewhat. Always off-road. As far as I am concerned, on the Rugged Mount without battery, it nevers shutdowns. With batterry, it shut downs every 2 minutes or so ...

Paul Jr
I wish it never shut down on me without the battery installed, but it does.... I'll pull the batt and try it again today up Horse creek.
JJ
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #4177
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
I wish it never shut down on me without the battery installed, but it does.... I'll pull the batt and try it again today up Horse creek.
JJ
Jim,

We talked about the Montana a couple weeks ago when Pigpen, Jungle Man, and I ran into you and Parepin at the top of Camp Creek road near Imnaha.

The open street maps that we talked about I learned about on this thread from Emmbeedee. They are available at http://www.osmmaps.com/index.html . These let you see all road detail at a 2 mile zoom on the Montana.

When I first got my Montana at the beginning of June, it crashed on me a few times just while I was playing with it. I updated it to the latest released firmware and the problem went away for the most part. On a 2000 mile trip it might have turned off on me once, and that includes lots of bouncing around.

As for the vibration damping, the mount I modifed for it provides some additional damping, only costs $15 and a bit of time with a drill press. See this post: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3876

Steve Lavigne

Nut Clutch screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 01:56 PM
Nut Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #4178
wtiger
Submariner

Oddometer: 143
upon start up, gets locked in 'loading photos'

screen freezes in startup, loading photos... I can shut it down by holding the power button, but then to power it back up, i have to remove the battery...
i just loaded 4.2...
wtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #4179
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtiger View Post
screen freezes in startup, loading photos... I can shut it down by holding the power button, but then to power it back up, i have to remove the battery...
i just loaded 4.2...
I would do a reset, if that was mine: info here.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #4180
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 364
Import KML file

I tried to import a KML file of a route I found that displays fine in Google Earth. I go to Import, then open but then I cannot get the track to appear on any menu or in Base Camp. What am I doing wrong?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #4181
Crash-n-Skid
WileeeCoyote

Oddometer: 35
Vibration

"As for the vibration damping, the mount I modifed for it provides some additional damping, only costs $15 and a bit of time with a drill press. See this post: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3876"

That's exactly the kind of mount I was thinking I might need to make and use. Thanks for posting that link.

I was really thinking it was the battery connection, not so sure now. I'll leave the foam stuffed in the battery compartment and focus on a location and mount that reduces vibration.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #4182
Splatman
ADVrider wannabe

Oddometer: 28
Below is the mount I made.. Anti vibration mounts ~ $5.00 for 4.. $3.00 in aluminum.. Few dollars for nuts & bolts.. Total ~ $12.00..

Previously on my Garmin V and then my Garmin 276C I always used Touratech mounts.. I needed something very secure for off-road single track riding (Husqvarna WR250).. For me it wasn't about the bling factor and I was ok with the price because they were bought used from Ebay (about $50.00)..

But with the Garmin Montana the AMPS mount was said by others to be very secure.. And was still needed even when used with the Touratech mount (~$200.00).. Since the Montana is relatively new not many used Touratech mounts were being sold on Ebay.. But I wanted some anti-vibration damping to protect the electronics.. So I made a few of these..

Splatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #4183
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I would do a reset, if that was mine: info here.
How about removing the extra memory card and see if it boots without it installed.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #4184
wtiger
Submariner

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
How about removing the extra memory card and see if it boots without it installed.
This.

after a number of resets, and even reloading the new update, it still would freeze up... for some reason i removed the extra memory card and put that in my computer. PC told me there was an error on the card and i clicked on 'fix'
while the card was out, the unit worked fine, and after the PC fix, the unit has been working fine.
Go Figure. I am not computer savvy enough to know what the problem was... but it seems to have been fixed. so yes, good idea!
wtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #4185
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtiger View Post
This.

after a number of resets, and even reloading the new update, it still would freeze up... for some reason i removed the extra memory card and put that in my computer. PC told me there was an error on the card and i clicked on 'fix'
while the card was out, the unit worked fine, and after the PC fix, the unit has been working fine.
Go Figure. I am not computer savvy enough to know what the problem was... but it seems to have been fixed. so yes, good idea!

Emmbeedee?

Does he need to reformat the card?

wtiger, do you have maps installed on the extra memory card?