ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #4186
wtiger
Submariner

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Emmbeedee?

Does he need to reformat the card?

wtiger, do you have maps installed on the extra memory card?
i put the city nav 2013 and a bunch of topos from gpsfiledepot on a 32 gig card. when i put it in the card reader, microsquish indicated errors, and gave an option to fix... i did that, and since then the gps has not frozen up... i am willing to reformat the card if this comes back up... what do you guys think?
wtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #4187
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman View Post
Below is the mount I made.. Anti vibration mounts ~ $5.00 for 4.. $3.00 in aluminum.. Few dollars for nuts & bolts.. Total ~ $12.00..

Previously on my Garmin V and then my Garmin 276C I always used Touratech mounts.. I needed something very secure for off-road single track riding (Husqvarna WR250).. For me it wasn't about the bling factor and I was ok with the price because they were bought used from Ebay (about $50.00)..

But with the Garmin Montana the AMPS mount was said by others to be very secure.. And was still needed even when used with the Touratech mount (~$200.00).. Since the Montana is relatively new not many used Touratech mounts were being sold on Ebay.. But I wanted some anti-vibration damping to protect the electronics.. So I made a few of these..

Hey, I think this is an early touratech prototype ......

Moto-Treks

moto-treks screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 09:30 AM
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #4188
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
So were you able to sort out your Geocache loading issue? If it's Groundspeak Pocket Queries you're loading, all you need to do is load the query_name.gpx into the \Garmin\gpx folder and the gps just swallows it up whole and shows you the caches.

Yeah, I did do that and for the first time got a message saying I have reached the limit for geocaches?

Not sure whether I need to remove some of the other stuff I have in there, but after this weekend I should get a chance to clean up as there are a lot of waypoint files in that folder

Cheers
TS

I just fired it back up again and never got that message this time, so maybe I won't touch it ;)

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 10:34 PM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #4189
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Yeah, I did do that and for the first time got a message saying I have reached the limit for geocaches?

I just fired it back up again and never got that message this time, so maybe I won't touch it ;)
You will only see it once. If you were indeed over the 12000 geocache limit, the Montana already decided which caches it was going to ignore when it originally indexed them and presented the warning message.

Remove one of your geocache GPX files, reboot the Montana, return the GPX file, and reboot again.

Do you still get the warning?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #4190
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
When recording a route, ie, making a track with the Montana, the 'Track Log On' icon is hit. Track starts recording and you can see the line travelled on the screen. Then after a while the line becomes broken. When back at my PC, the route has not been fully recorded. There was never a 'Lost Satellite' shout from the unit nor was I under trees, bridges or inner city.
This only seems to have started after the last software update I loaded, v4.10.
The rest of the unit seems to be operatng fine.
Any ideas?

T.

Edit: Just put v4.20 in, but no mention of a fix for this in the brief.

Timpo screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 02:56 AM
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #4191
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtiger View Post
i put the city nav 2013 and a bunch of topos from gpsfiledepot on a 32 gig card. when i put it in the card reader, microsquish indicated errors, and gave an option to fix... i did that, and since then the gps has not frozen up... i am willing to reformat the card if this comes back up... what do you guys think?
I don't think it's necessary to reformat the card if your disk utility has fixed the errors.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #4192
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
I tried to import a KML file of a route I found that displays fine in Google Earth. I go to Import, then open but then I cannot get the track to appear on any menu or in Base Camp. What am I doing wrong?
Use KMZ instead.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #4193
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,618
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Clutch View Post
Jim,

We talked about the Montana a couple weeks ago when Pigpen, Jungle Man, and I ran into you and Parepin at the top of Camp Creek road near Imnaha.

The open street maps that we talked about I learned about on this thread from Emmbeedee. They are available at http://www.osmmaps.com/index.html . These let you see all road detail at a 2 mile zoom on the Montana.

When I first got my Montana at the beginning of June, it crashed on me a few times just while I was playing with it. I updated it to the latest released firmware and the problem went away for the most part. On a 2000 mile trip it might have turned off on me once, and that includes lots of bouncing around.

As for the vibration damping, the mount I modifed for it provides some additional damping, only costs $15 and a bit of time with a drill press. See this post: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3876

Steve Lavigne
Hey Steve... thanx for the info and the links! I'll try to do the latest firmware update tonight and also load that mapping program you showed me.
Thanx again and Peace,
Woooop Wooop
Jim
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #4194
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Hey guys - I have a basecamp question I was hoping you could help me with.

I'm in Indonesia right now and have a good Indonesian map on my unit, but I want to see the maps on a laptop I am using. I've downloaded basecamp onto the laptop, have plugged my device into it and can see my device and all my waypoints and tracks.
However I can't view the Indonesian maps on the big laptop screen.

I tried going under the view tab AND in the drop down menu but it just is not listed in either place.

I thought it was going to work when I used my device as a external hard drive. I opened it up, and had 2 folders; documents and Garmin so I clicked on Garmin:

When the folder opens I can see the file - "navigasi.net Indonesia Maps".

Clicking on it to open it I found the default program to open it was something called "Windows Disc image burner". I changed that program to BaseCamp, clicked on it, and it looked like it was going to open after "struggling" for a bit but then I got this message:

and it wouldn't open. The map is working great on my device, I just want to be able to see the map on the big lap top screen to work some routes. Sorry I should have said I'm using my 62s but posted here as this seems to get the most traffic. :)

Any help greatly appreciated!!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #4195
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Atlas huge thanks - it worked!! And also thanks for the tutorial and links Embeedee!

For any other "techno-tards" like me reading this, here it is with pictures.

1. Download the link Atlas links to above - v1.4 is 2.93 megabytes (about 20 minutes download time on Indonesion broadband! )
2. This is the page that comes up when you start the javaWa program:

Mine didn't find my unit until I hit the "scan drives" button in the upper left corner.

From there I just clicked on the manage maps button and the following page came up with the maps on my 62s (I'm sure Montana would be the same):

I clicked on the map that I hadn't been able to see in basecamp before and then just clicked on the visible in basecamp button. The only catch was I had to shut down basecamp first. When I reopened it, it worked no problems!

One more question for you experts: Should my Indonesia map now be visible on all computers with basecamp when my unit is plugged in, or do I need to download javaWa on all the computers I download basecamp on?
(I like to travel light without a computer, and here in SE Asia, ever town has tons of "internet cafe's" where for mega cheap you can rent computer time with BIG screens!)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #4196
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
One more question for you experts: Should my Indonesia map now be visible on all computers with basecamp when my unit is plugged in, or do I need to download javaWa on all the computers I download basecamp on?
(I like to travel light without a computer, and here in SE Asia, ever town has tons of "internet cafe's" where for mega cheap you can rent computer time with BIG screens!)
You should be good to go, the changes were made on your GPS.

Also, no need to download JaVaWa Device Manager on each computer. Just install it to the uSD card on your GPSr and use it with any host PC.

Likewise with BaseCamp. Just copy your BaseCamp program directory to your uSD card, and run from there on any host machine!

I store many additional maps, waypoint files, tracks, routes, GPX files, etc. in a hidden directory on my Montana uSD card, and am able to manage the unit quite nicely running BaseCamp and JaVaWa Device Manager directly from the unit itself on any host machine with a compatible operating system.

Cheers!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #4197
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
You will only see it once. If you were indeed over the 12000 geocache limit, the Montana already decided which caches it was going to ignore when it originally indexed them and presented the warning message.

Remove one of your geocache GPX files, reboot the Montana, return the GPX file, and reboot again.

Do you still get the warning?
Thanks, I did a check and it was over 14000 so I just used BC and deleted all the unfound ones, then copied across the ones I want now, no more warnings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 07-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #4198
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
I tried to import a KML file of a route I found that displays fine in Google Earth. I go to Import, then open but then I cannot get the track to appear on any menu or in Base Camp. What am I doing wrong?
I keep trying this and get the same result: nothing. Anyone have any insight? The import function acts like it works but I don't see the track on my map and it doesn't show up in any menu that I can see. Help!
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #4199
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Quote:
I keep trying this and get the same result: nothing. Anyone have any insight? The import function acts like it works but I don't see the track on my map and it doesn't show up in any menu that I can see. Help!
Try using *.KMZ, not *.KML
Old 07-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #4200
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,271
Heat stops screen response

Anybody else seen this?

When hotter than about 90f, my 600 screen will continue to display but become unresponsive to touching the screen. Which is the main input method, of course. The power button still works. Pulling the battery doesn't help. If I put the unit somewhere cool, it will function normally when it cools about to the temperature of an air conditioned room.

When placed in the cradle on the bike, the unit does not start up on the map page when powering up, so it is locked to the "home" page with the icons until cooled down. For our latest trip in the summer heat, this made it a very expensive and useless clock and we could not rely on it for navigation.