ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #4216
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Thanks Embeedee and atlas cached....WOW..!! I guess something is awry. Should I do a "Master Reset"?
I would try the reset, if it was mine. Reset is nowhere near as destructive as it used to be.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 05:19 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #4217
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 126
Did my first proper test run with Montana; 15000km in 25 days!

Happy to report that Montana worked great. Only hiccup during the trip was a frozen screen in town
area when doing a POI search and started navigating towards that POI. Happened twice and both
times the POI was really close (~200m). No need for reset, unit returned to normal operation after
a while.

Have to admit that I was quite nervous about leaving my 276c home and putting my money on
Montana. Riding buddy had a Zumo, so I took the calculated "risk". Really happy I made the switch,
it's a great (and somewhat complicated) tool!

Zumo also was a great device, as a paper weigh, in Mongolia.. (no track support, other than record a track)

-m
Miikka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #4218
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikka View Post
Only hiccup during the trip was a frozen screen in town
area when doing a POI search and started navigating towards that POI. Happened twice and both
times the POI was really close (~200m). No need for reset, unit returned to normal operation after
a while.
Miikka, your comment about a frozen screen is interesting. I did not experienced your specific problem (freezing during a POI search/navigation). However, I did experience several screen freezes during a recent trip while navigating using routes. I posted about it here. Unfortunately, no one here on this forum has commented yet about what they think may have been the cause for the freezes.

When your Montana froze, did it do so while calculating the route to the POI or did it freeze after completing the calculation (that is, after having drawn the route on the Montana display)?
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #4219
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Miikka, your comment about a frozen screen is interesting. I did not experienced your specific problem (freezing during a POI search/navigation). However, I did experience several screen freezes during a recent trip while navigating using routes. I posted about it here. Unfortunately, no one here on this forum has commented yet about what they think may have been the cause for the freezes.

When your Montana froze, did it do so while calculating the route to the POI or did it freeze after completing the calculation (that is, after having drawn the route on the Montana display)?
It froze while calculating route to POI. It happened twice and both times that particular POI was really close and I was moving as I initiated the calculation. (In smaller towns in Russia all the buildings / doors look alike, so knowing you're 200m away from your POI may not be enough to locate it. At least without asking someone)
I did not turn off the unit nor do reset, just continued search old fashion way + with the help of Zumo on the other bike.
My Montana came back alive (after exhausting itself with the calculation..) in a minute or two.

Not a big deal. But not convincing either. Apples and oranges but 276c never froze on me.

-m
Miikka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #4220
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Interesting to hear other people's issues with freezing

I have a replacement unit and I am still having issues with the graphic freezing. I can see the magneta line I am to travel, I can see the motorcycle icon and the blue line that shows where I have been. But, the blue line is ahead of me by a long way, the bike and road does not move but the distance to next turn, in Automotive mode, is still counting down .

I have learnt to leave it and it will correct after a few minutes, BUT, when you are arriving at a major multi turn crossover it is scary and not very good.

The other bad thing I have noticed is best explained by example.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341667107.276057.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  80.0 KB

So, I am in southern Ireland and decide to head to Belfast, I type in Belfast for my CITY name and the first choice on the list is Belfast, in New Zealand, nearly 19,000km away, why would it not use the 2nd choice of Northern Ireland?

I have noticed this many times, very annoying and it makes me think it is an unfinished product and not ready for the market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 07-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #4221
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks Embeedee and atlas cached....WOW..!! I guess something is awry. Should I do a "Master Reset"?
I know what your problem is! Your touch screen is self-selecting while in bright sun. If you see an arrow at the bottom left, that the problem. Put a cover over your Montana if you are parked in bright sun, to prevent the problem.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #4222
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Just got a Montana 600 and trying to plan a route using basecamp. I have the CN North America NT 2012.10 map installed.

I can't find any real backroads on the basecamp map. I am using google maps and it has so much more detail - backroads, country roads etc.

Why is this? What am I doing wrong?
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #4223
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
zoom in closer?
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #4224
Tourniquet
Adventurer

zoomed in all the way... I also can see much more detail on my Montana than on basecamp...
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #4225
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I know what your problem is! Your touch screen is self-selecting while in bright sun. If you see an arrow at the bottom left, that the problem. Put a cover over your Montana if you are parked in bright sun, to prevent the problem.
You mean the default "curved" arrow(return) or some arbritary arrow. If so, never saw another arrow other than the one I just mentioned.

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #4226
thomspins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
What could I be missing? I just purchased a new 650t with a CN card added in and am doing some map comparisons on basecamp and see some pretty big misses on topo100k. See the below and if anyone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong or what's up I'd greatly appreciate it. Knowing the area, it seems as topo 100k is way behind, like 2008 or something.
100K:

compared to cn:

thomspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #4227
thomspins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ouch, that blows! For the $$ the 650t brings that's very sh*tty!

Any other products out there that aren't complete crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Very good guess! The Garmin Topo 100k v4 is in fact 2008 data. These maps are well known for being pretty sloppy, at best.
thomspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #4228
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
You mean the default "curved" arrow(return) or some arbritary arrow. If so, never saw another arrow other than the one I just mentioned.

cheers...
You're not supposed to have an arrow in the normal map screen. It should be an X.

The same thing happened to me today: I was riding along wondering why the map screen wasn't moving, then I noticed the curved arrow (back) which I recognized as the one you see when you're in map scroll mode. I hadn't done anything to go into that mode, so the sun, while I was stopped must have selected the mode.

I think it has something to do with the Garmin screen protector; when the sun hits it it must be exerting some pressure on the Montana's touch screen layer. It doesn't seem to happen much while I'm moving, only when I stop.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 02:37 PM
Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #4229
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post
zoomed in all the way... I also can see much more detail on my Montana than on basecamp...
You must first select which map you are looking at. See the drop down menu at the top left corner.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #4230
Tourniquet
Adventurer

ok so I have loaded some GPX files into my Montana but I don't know how to pull them up on the Montana. I downloaded the kvl file from a google map route that I planned out and turned it into a gpx.