ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #4231
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post
ok so I have loaded some GPX files into my Montana
How? Manually or using software? Are they in the \Garmin\GPX\ directory?

Quote:
but I don't know how to pull them up on the Montana.
Depends what type of GPS they are: Map, track, route, Geocaches, Waypoints, etc.

Quote:
I downloaded the kvl file from a google map route that I planned out
I assume you mean 'KML'

Quote:
and turned it into a gpx.
How was this conversion accomplished?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #4232
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
How? Manually or using software? Are they in the \Garmin\GPX\ directory?

Depends what type of GPS they are: Map, track, route, Geocaches, Waypoints, etc.

I assume you mean 'KML'

How was this conversion accomplished?
I first used the poi loader but that just loaded in a single point and not the route, then I just put the GPX file in the GPX directory and couldn't find it...

I used gpsvisualizer.com to convert the kml to the gpx file.
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #4233
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
You must first select which map you are looking at. See the drop down menu at the top left corner.
I found it and it seems to be working thanks! I still can't get the google maps route I made to show up on my garmin though...

Tourniquet screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 06:41 PM
Old 07-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #4234
Tourniquet
Adventurer

So I loaded the GPX file into basecamp and it worked. Then I just pulled the file down from the computer onto the "my files".

I think I found the "directions" under the tracking icon. It loaded them at first but then I lost them, I tried to load them again and then none of the buttons would push like the "show map" button etc. Then I restarted, tried it again and it worked...

So far my first 12 hours with the Montana make it seem incredibly impossible and buggy...

Tourniquet screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 08:09 PM
Old 07-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #4235
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,361
Quote:
So far my first 12 hours with the Montana make it seem incredibly impossible and buggy...
Maybe you'd like this one better?

Just because it's got you stumped doesn't mean it's "impossible and buggy". 12 hours is nowhere near enough time for you to pronounce judgment.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #4236
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Definitely a steep learning curve. I am not pronouncing any judgements just making an observation - It does SEEM impossible and buggy, but like I said I have only had it a few hour and have no GPS background...

Thanks for the help guys, I am sure I will be in and out of this thread.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #4237
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I just added a topic on the Wisdom and FAQ thread describing the 'Ghost in the Machine', where the Montana seems to develop a mind of its' own.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #4238
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Maybe you'd like this one better?

Just because it's got you stumped doesn't mean it's "impossible and buggy". 12 hours is nowhere near enough time for you to pronounce judgment.

That's awesome!

There is definitely a learning curve with the Montana AND Basecamp. It's all about adjusting your thinking from what you're used to, to something a bit different. It's probably more like 12 months vs 12 hours. Haha! Ok, maybe 12 weeks. Or 12 weeks and 12 hours.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #4239
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomspins View Post
Ouch, that blows! For the $$ the 650t brings that's very sh*tty!

Any other products out there that aren't complete crap?
Any Topo, whether 100K or 24K, free or paid, is going to be somewhat out of date on roads, it's the nature of the data source. I still find both the old USA 100K topo from 1998 and the free state 24K's from GPSDepot useful, particularly in the back country where CNNA may not show any roads at all. With the Montana's huge memory (and a mSD card) you can have a whole lot of maps, then create shortcuts to them so you don't have to go all through the menus. I find that I'm now seeing the Montana as more like two different units, one like the old Garmins that let's you do routes the old way, direct with lots of waypoints, as shown on a Topo map and one like the Nuvi or Zumo with autorouting on CNNA and loads of useful POI's for searches (a shortcut to fuel services is a good one). I switch back and forth a lot.

One thing that is handy is after you have created a mapset and loaded it (don't forget to rename it from Gpsmapsupp.img to something meaningful so the next mapset doesn't overwrite it) is to copy it back to a directory on your hard disk. Then you don't have to go through the process again if you delete it and a year later decide that you want that map image back for a trip. Just copy it back to the Garmin directory on either the card or the unit.

Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #4240
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Resetting Odometer

I have been trying to reset my 'Odometer' reading & have tried it numerous times from the 'Trip Info Screen' and done a RESET - RESET ALL Settings & it still remains (which I find rather stupid if this is how you have to get it reset as you loose all your settings).

Anyone have any ideas? I have searched using Google search with no luck... do I have to call Garmin for a replacement .
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #4241
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Have you tried [Setup | Reset | Reset Trip Data]?

If you are using a shortcut to so, there is a known issue where shortcuts will not properly reset some trip computer values.
I have a shortcut I access through a single power button press which resets my trip and track. Works well.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #4242
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I have a shortcut I access through a single power button press which resets my trip and track. Works well.
Sorry, but you mistook what I am trying to reset..my 'Trip Odometer' does reset. But I can not get the 'Odometer' to reset even using 'Rest All'
Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #4243
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
I have been trying to reset my 'Odometer' reading & have tried it numerous times from the 'Trip Info Screen' and done a RESET - RESET ALL Settings & it still remains (which I find rather stupid if this is how you have to get it reset as you loose all your settings).

Anyone have any ideas? I have searched using Google search with no luck... do I have to call Garmin for a replacement .
sorry, not possible yet without master reset; enhancement #14 on Dan's master list.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #4244
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
sorry, not possible yet without master reset; enhancement #14 on Dan's master list.
Well that is what I call bad design. It should be I hope resettable independent of the Trip.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #4245
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Is there any way to change the color of waypoint marker if the route is done with the BaseCamp?
Currently my vehicle is the blue arrow, waypoint markers are blue, rivers and lakes are blue. I need more colors.

Where I could find a custom vehicle icon which is a red arrow whose tip points to my location?
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote