ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 192 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #4261
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
One thing that is handy is after you have created a mapset and loaded it (don't forget to rename it from Gpsmapsupp.img to something meaningful so the next mapset doesn't overwrite it) is to copy it back to a directory on your hard disk. Then you don't have to go through the process again if you delete it and a year later decide that you want that map image back for a trip. Just copy it back to the Garmin directory on either the card or the unit.

There's no need to rename your maps from gmapsupp.img if you use the latest version of MapInstall. That's only required with Mapsource, which you should forget about with the Montana, Oregon, Dakota, 62/78 and Colorado series.

Granted, Mapsource seems easier to use, but MapInstall is much more versatile and fairly easy once you're used to it.

Your suggestion about backing up the map directories is a good one!

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 05:29 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #4262
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Looking for cute custom vehicle icons? This site has some amazing ones.

http://www.vehiclesforgarminnuvi.com/

Nothing like a red arrow with the point on the current location, though.

Actually, there is a red arrow in the 'Whatever' category but I haven't checked if the point is on the current location. Will try it later.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #4263
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I have an arrow with the point on the current location. Should I send it to the dropbox?
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #4264
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There is a red arrow in the 'Whatever' category but I haven't checked if the point is on the current location. Will try it later.
The red icon does not have the point exactly on the current location but it is very visible. I also downloaded a 1919 Excelsior motorcycle icon which I'm going to send to a friend who's got an Excelsior of that era.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #4265
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
I have an arrow with the point on the current location. Should I send it to the dropbox?
Good idea!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #4266
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Done. It's in the Config Folder. The file is triangle_blue_ls2.srf
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #4267
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
There's no need to rename your maps from gmapsupp.img if you use the latest version of MapInstall.
Huh? Did I miss the latest and greatest? So this new version allows you to name the set something meaningful during the process?
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #4268
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Huh? Did I miss the latest and greatest? So this new version allows you to name the set something meaningful during the process?
Even better, it does this for you automatically!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #4269
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Maybe you'd like this one better?

Just because it's got you stumped doesn't mean it's "impossible and buggy". 12 hours is nowhere near enough time for you to pronounce judgment.
The Etch-A-Sketch is cute and I've not had the Montana as long as some here. But I do have a range of Garmin products that are provided to me to use for work & that I've bought, for surface use and in aviation.

I find the Montana not to be "impossible" but it sure it demonstrates repeated bugginess with white screens, uncommanded resets, screen lockups, etc. The Oregon was/is clumsy but gives me less problems. After having been available to the public for as long as it has, combined with the price premium, I find the Montana performance inexcusable and if there were a valid competitor I'd ditch Garmin in a heartbeat due to these functionality issues.

Possibly worse by today's standards is that Garmin's user interface is YEARS behind and the only company which drives me crazier is RIM. While the Montana has all sorts of potential customization as a potentially positive feature, you have to remember how to continually drill through numerous screens. I personally also find their architecture for using the touch screen to be a pain, especially with gloves. And this IS an outdoor device where gloves and heat should both be considered part of the normal environment.

There's this little company called Google and they've provided mapping software for over 7 years. Both the online maps product and Google Earth. From just the aspect of human interface, think about whether you find Google or Garmin to be easier and more intuitive map to use.

We could also discuss licensing and calling customer service, but I think my feelings as a customer are clear.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #4270
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
I find the Montana not to be "impossible" but it sure it demonstrates repeated bugginess with white screens, uncommanded resets, screen lockups, etc. The Oregon was/is clumsy but gives me less problems. After having been available to the public for as long as it has, combined with the price premium, I find the Montana performance inexcusable and if there were a valid competitor I'd ditch Garmin in a heartbeat due to these functionality issues..

We could also discuss licensing and calling customer service, but I think my feelings as a customer are clear.
I have not had to deal with any white screens in months now. If you're using the right shutdown procedure after a wsod failure, then maybe your maps/routes/tracks/gpx files are flawed and if not, then perhaps it's time to send the unit in for repair.

Garmin doesn't have a lot of say re map licensing. Navteq sets the rules in that aspect. Customer service is something Garmin seems to do quite well, in my experience anyway.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #4271
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
Is there any way to change the color of waypoint marker if the route is done with the BaseCamp? .....
I use Mapsource for routes as it fits my needs much better than BaseCamp. My method is to ignore the Route Tool and create waypoints. I set the Waypoint properties in "Edit/Preferences/Waypoint" to a 2 digit prefix that relates to the route e.g. a Bruce Trail route would use waypoints BT001, BT002, BT003, etc. and I set the Symbol to the small green dot in "Civil", and I check the box to use these defaults for all waypoints. I then create the waypoints in the sequence of the route flow. Create an empty route with Edit/New Route and then click Insert Waypoint and select all your waypoints. If I need another waypoint for shaping purposes between, say, waypoints BT065 and BT066, I create it and renumber it BT065A. With my 65CSx I just transfered it from Mapsource, but with my Montana I move the GPX file from Mapsource to Basecamp and then send it to my mSD card.

I just tried the same process in BaseCamp but find it's not possibe. I can't find a way to pre-set waypoint names and symbols. BC seems to assign a Blue flag to all waypoints and uses a sequential number if the waypoint is not on a map feature, otherwise the waypoint gets the feature's name, usually a number and street name. This messes up the sort order of the waypoints when trying to add them to an empty route. However, once you created the necessary waypoints, you can select them all and access Properties to change the symbol from the blue flag.

For my on/off-road Direct routes I guess I'll have to continue using Mapsource unless I've missed these features in BC.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #4272
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
However, once you created the necessary waypoints, you can select them all and access Properties to change the symbol from the blue flag.
How? The "Properties" shows only a dot (with street name and number) in the BC, but the unit shows a blue flag. Can't change either one.

I would also like to see the 250 via points limit raised. Or at least the BC should warn you if you create a route with more than the limit. It's not fun when you find that out while riding. There is no warning about exceeding the 50 point limit in the routing either.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan from Finland screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 03:04 PM
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #4273
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
How? The "Properties" shows only a dot (with street name and number) in the BC, but the unit shows a blue flag. Can't change either one.
Not entirely accurate. You can substitute your own icon for the blue flag, but it is not an entirely simple process to explain.

There is a link around here somewhere with that information.

Maybe google Garmin Montana GPSr custom symbols.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #4274
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
How? The "Properties" shows only a dot (with street name and number) in the BC, but the unit shows a blue flag. Can't change either one. ....
I think you are looking at Route Properties.. The only way I know to control the symbol used for waypoints in a Route is to first create a series of waypoints, change them to the symbol of your choice, then add them to a blank route. I can't find a setting for the default symbol in BC, although the "old" Mapsource product has that feature.

The Properties screen I referred to was the Waypoint Properties in BaseCamp. When you select all the waypoints you created for your route (in the panel at the bottom left of BC screen), you then right-click and choose Properties. You can then change the symbol of the waypoint from a Blue flag. Really, Mapsource seems to have more features than BC for creating my type of routes.

Now, having changed the symbols used for the waypoints in the route, you will still have the problem that the Montana adds a Blue pushpin to every waypoint sysmbol in the route. I have no idea how to change that - in fact, I have no idea why Garmin thinks it's necessary to further clutter routes - my 60CSx never did that and my routes just had a tiny green dot and a 5-digit label at each turn.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #4275
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Not entirely accurate. You can substitute your own icon for the blue flag, but it is not an entirely simple process to explain.
Is it that you can't explain it? The rest of us try our best to explain things but all you do is try to drive people to your Wiki, away from here.