ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #4321
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
So are the solar flares this weekend going to knockout the GPS signals?
Doubt it. I'll be flying over the pole this weekend and last month we had active space weather over the pole but it didn't knock out the GPS, just degraded HF radio. If you are below 70 degrees North Latitude, you probably won't notice a thing.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #4322
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post

I finally realized that the 24K topographic map had somehow been activated (my riding profile is supposed to just have OSM, a custom, non-routable map with all of the class 4 roads and legal trails in Vermont and the worldwide basemap active). When I deactivated the topos, things sped up substantially...and then I got the "the map on which the route was created is not available, do you want to recalculate" message. Choosing yes got me an error about no roads in the routed area; no resulted in the route not being activated.

I finally ended up stopping and creating a route with the remaining waypoints (about 8, IIRC, down from 10) once I got far enough that I didn't remember where I was going. Creating that route on the GPS worked fine.

The return route loads as expected.

Any thoughts? The firmware on the device is current.
The Montana is operating as designed. If you want your planned route to render the same on the Montana you MUST build the route on the same map version as the one on your Montana. If you want to use maps on the Montana other than the one you used to build the route you should use Direct Routing or Tracks.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #4323
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you want to use maps on the Montana other than the one you used to build the route you should use Direct Routing or Tracks.

Cheers,
Or put in enough via-points or intermediate waypoints so the device (even with a different version of CNNA) will route the same as in Basecamp/Mapsource. It is easy to check where the device is routing you after you load the route. We just took a two week trip through the Rockies and none of the pre-planned multiple hundred mile daily routes needed more than maybe a half dozen intermediate waypoints (maximum) to take us exactly where we wanted to go. The device will do exactly what you tell it to do!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #4324
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,802
Sorry for the question guys but can I install a copy on my CN NA on a second computer? I've the original install on my laptop but want to have another copy on a desktop. The laptop has the one time free update, so I'm not sure this would work. Don't want to fudge anything up.

Thanks!
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #4325
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Sorry for the question guys but can I install a copy on my CN NA on a second computer? I've the original install on my laptop but want to have another copy on a desktop. The laptop has the one time free update, so I'm not sure this would work. Don't want to fudge anything up.

Thanks!
I don't think there's anything stopping you from installing to another computer but why not just use CityNav on your connected gps, through Basecap?
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #4326
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,802
I saw that on the 'wisdom' thread. Probably do just that. Just got to be careful I don't bugger up my files.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #4327
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
I saw that on the 'wisdom' thread. Probably do just that. Just got to be careful I don't bugger up my files.
You should back everything up even if you don't plan to do anything else...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #4328
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
So, can the Gurus out there help to explain what is happening with my 650T please.

Have a look at this photo

For those that don't know, this is a replacement unit after the original played up continuously. Well, since I started using this one, it has been better than the old one, but it is always doing what is shown in the above photo.

Basically, I am on a straight road with no change of direction until the roundabout 43km ahead. I have the GPS set to show my track as I ride and what is happening is the map stops moving. The top left KM number is still counting down and the KM to go number in the info box bottom left is also counting down.

The issue is, the blue track is ahead of me, when it works normally the track appears under my wheels and goes behind. This screen locks up and the bike might move if I leave it alone, and in fact this did come good, only to play up again as soon as I entered St Petersbug.

I know this is an OSM map, but it also does this on my CN2012 Europe, so it is the actual unit causing the error not the maps, not by my reckoning anyway.

Does anyone else experience this?

It mostly seems to happen when I NEED the damm thing, like in the middle of a massive friggin city.

It is becoming a liability on this trip and a very expensive piece of crap.

I can navigate a straight line between two cities without it, it is the street nav I expect it to work for, but it always fails :(

Cheers
TS
Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #4329
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
So, can the Gurus out there help to explain what is happening with my 650T please.

Have a look at this photo

There are some who say you need to keep your Spot and gps some distance apart. Yours look fairly close to me. Maybe that has something to do with it? Is your Spot in tracking mode or do you send OK messages with it?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #4330
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post

For those that don't know, this is a replacement unit after the original played up continuously. Well, since I started using this one, it has been better than the old one, but it is always doing what is shown in the above photo.

Basically, I am on a straight road with no change of direction until the roundabout 43km ahead. I have the GPS set to show my track as I ride and what is happening is the map stops moving. The top left KM number is still counting down and the KM to go number in the info box bottom left is also counting down.

The issue is, the blue track is ahead of me, when it works normally the track appears under my wheels and goes behind. This screen locks up and the bike might move if I leave it alone, and in fact this did come good, only to play up again as soon as I entered St Petersbug.

I know this is an OSM map, but it also does this on my CN2012 Europe, so it is the actual unit causing the error not the maps, not by my reckoning anyway.

Does anyone else experience this?

It mostly seems to happen when I NEED the damm thing, like in the middle of a massive friggin city.

It is becoming a liability on this trip and a very expensive piece of crap.

I can navigate a straight line between two cities without it, it is the street nav I expect it to work for, but it always fails :(

Cheers
TS
I agree with Emmbeedee re: the SPOT being to close. Also, if you use the map in TRACK UP mode or NORTH UP mode, do you still have the problem?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #4331
Jeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I'm a tad confused or should I say fustrated with the issues I am having with my 650T. I have 24k topo loaded as well as v7 of Metro Guide North America. This past weekend I downloaded a route that I have previously run to the unit. I click on where to on the GPS. It brings up the downloaded route. I click on it. It loads to the screne and the GO button appears. I click on the GO button and a message appears on the screen that states "This route does not match the avilable maps! It will not follow the roads precisley. Do you want to recalculate the route?" Then below that it gives you the choice of yes or no. If I click on yes it displays a screen the says "Route Calculation Error" Maps do not have routable roads in this area." I have run this route previously on my 176C with v7 and it worked perfect. I double checked to be sure that I was running the v7 software. So I am baffled? WTF am I doin something wrong here?
Jeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #4332
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It already works like that. When you're on the map screen, click on some place, and if a pushpin is dropped there you'll see a clickable area at the top of the screen. If there are multiple items of interest in the area you clicked on there will be multiple items to select.

Here's the sequence:

Click an area; drag the map around so your pushpin is on the place you want it to be and you get something like this:

There were multiple POIs in the place I clicked, as indicated by the multiple line icon, so I get this:

Click the one named "Kingston":

The flag at the bottom of the screen above allows you to save it as a waypoint.

Another example:

So pretty much all you ask for is already possible.
It is possible - through making dozens of clicks and decisions instead of being presented with more options up front.

If I clicked and held somewhere it should give me a decision tree with options such as:

1. create POI ( it currently does this as the only option when you click)
2. Find distance to this point from your location
3. Insert point into route and recalculate (this can be done but you have to first make it a poi, then click some more...)
4. Find gas close to this area
5. etc.

If it were to offer you all these options up front, then you wouldn't have to go through all of the extra clicking to get to these options I guess is what I am trying to say.

Tourniquet screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 01:32 PM
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #4333
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Montana is operating as designed. If you want your planned route to render the same on the Montana you MUST build the route on the same map version as the one on your Montana. If you want to use maps on the Montana other than the one you used to build the route you should use Direct Routing or Tracks.

Cheers,
I had switched back and forth between CNNA and OSM in Basecamp while creating the route, but the last few waypoints were created and the route was finalized while the OSM maps—the same street map I have on the device—was loaded. The route does route correctly in Basemap with the OSM map.

Also, I was under the impression that if I choose "yes" to the recalculate question, it should manage to recalculate the route based on the maps loaded in the device (assuming all the waypoints are close enough to roads, which they should be). This is the part that has be particularly puzzled—if the waypoints were problematic, why would I be able to create a new route on the device with the exact same waypoints?
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #4334
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
All you have to do now is turn down that road, then let GPS recalculate. If you have the right avoidance selected (avoid U turns) it works. You follow that new road, and at the other end the GPS puts you back on track.
This does seem like the best option thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #4335
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Open your track in Basecamp, then just right click on the track and select "create route from track". Just make sure you make the points in the route less than 50. Bingo.
awesome I will try this - thanks!