ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #4351
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
I had switched back and forth between CNNA and OSM in Basecamp while creating the route, but the last few waypoints were created and the route was finalized while the OSM maps—the same street map I have on the device—was loaded. The route does route correctly in Basemap with the OSM map.

Also, I was under the impression that if I choose "yes" to the recalculate question, it should manage to recalculate the route based on the maps loaded in the device (assuming all the waypoints are close enough to roads, which they should be). This is the part that has be particularly puzzled—if the waypoints were problematic, why would I be able to create a new route on the device with the exact same waypoints?
You already told us that you had the 24K Topo maps Enabled. This is the cause of your problem. The road that you want to "route" on is not on the 24K Topo map. Hence, the error message that you were presented with. Did you check to see if all of those waypoints were actually on (or within 50ft) of routable road on the 24K Topo map? If one wasn't then the unit will not be able to route you there using an "Along-road" routing Activity. One way to check is to change the Activity Mode to Direct Routing and then see if you get any errors - don't think you will, since now the unit doesn't care if the waypoints are actually on routable roads.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #4352
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You already told us that you had the 24K Topo maps Enabled. This is the cause of your problem. The road that you want to "route" on is not on the 24K Topo map. Hence, the error message that you were presented with. Did you check to see if all of those waypoints were actually on (or within 50ft) of routable road on the 24K Topo map? If one wasn't then the unit will not be able to route you there using an "Along-road" routing Activity. One way to check is to change the Activity Mode to Direct Routing and then see if you get any errors - don't think you will, since now the unit doesn't care if the waypoints are actually on routable roads.

Cheers,
I got the same error after disabling the 24K topos (and leaving the OSM map enabled).

I also need to figure out how the 24K topos keep getting re-enabled—I can disable them, shut down the unit, and then when I fire it back up, they're enabled again.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #4353
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
I got the same error after disabling the 24K topos (and leaving the OSM map enabled).

I also need to figure out how the 24K topos keep getting re-enabled—I can disable them, shut down the unit, and then when I fire it back up, they're enabled again.
Sounds like you'll need to analyze the waypoints to see where they fall on or near the roads.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #4354
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There are some who say you need to keep your Spot and gps some distance apart. Yours look fairly close to me. Maybe that has something to do with it? Is your Spot in tracking mode or do you send OK messages with it?
Even if they say "Keep the Messenger at least 12 inches away from other GPS devices as SPOT can interfere with signal reception of other GPS devices" It's hard to believe that TS's issue is caused by the SPOT. The messenger sends position only every 10 minutes. it would just lose its position for a second or two. In addition, transmission power of the SPOT is less than that of normal cell phone. There shouldn't be any other electromagnetic interference than occasional jamming of the GPS reception. My guess is a software bug - in the unit itself or on the map. What if you reboot it?

I have seen just few software bugs. If the unit has to recalculate the route dozens of times next after next and I still don't obey it, it may crash. Once it stopped drawing the map for 30 seconds or so. All other information was still updated.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #4355
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
got my KML file from google map into a GPX and made it into a track on BaseCamp. Now I have changed that into a route with 50 waypoints.

The waypoints on the map are all huge and I would rather not see them on the route - how can I hide them?
Tourniquet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #4356
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post
got my KML file from google map into a GPX and made it into a track on BaseCamp. Now I have changed that into a route with 50 waypoints.

The waypoints on the map are all huge and I would rather not see them on the route - how can I hide them?
If I were an Uber User, I might create a custom symbol that is transparent and substitute :)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #4357
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Is the Montana for me (Parents)

So, after reading through this thread, I'm curious what the basic thoughts are on this GPS? Its actually for my 75 year old mother who rides a quad (yes, 75) Anyway. she is currently using a Nuvi 500 which really hasn't worked for her that well and after talking with Garmin, they suggested the Montana

What are the thoughts on general ease of use and functionality? I know this is subjective as many of you look to have some problems, but my experience that almost all new GPS products have their problems. Thanks
Ken
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #4358
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer View Post
I'm a tad confused or should I say fustrated with the issues I am having with my 650T. I have 24k topo loaded as well as v7 of Metro Guide North America. ..... If I click on yes it displays a screen the says "Route Calculation Error" Maps do not have routable roads in this area." I have run this route previously on my 176C with v7 and it worked perfect. I double checked to be sure that I was running the v7 software. So I am baffled? WTF am I doin something wrong here?
MetroGuide stopped allowing auto-routing ON THE GPS after Ver 4, although it does autoroute on the PC. Garmin disabled auto-routing when they introduced City Select in 2003 (?) which was later renamed City Navigator. That's why you are getting the "no routable roads" error. If you used it on your 176, you'd get the same error.

Fortunately, there's a solution - PM me for details.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #4359
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
So, after reading through this thread, I'm curious what the basic thoughts are on this GPS? Its actually for my 75 year old mother who rides a quad (yes, 75) Anyway. she is currently using a Nuvi 500 which really hasn't worked for her that well and after talking with Garmin, they suggested the Montana

What are the thoughts on general ease of use and functionality? I know this is subjective as many of you look to have some problems, but my experience that almost all new GPS products have their problems. Thanks
Ken
Out of the box, the Montana can be used by anyone. But, if you want it to be "easy" to use, someone with a bit more knowledge might want to set up a Profile and a couple of Shortcuts so that the workflow is straightforward and meets your mothers needs. That way you can eliminate from view any Apps that might create confusion while out riding.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 03:54 PM
Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #4360
Jeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
MetroGuide stopped allowing auto-routing ON THE GPS after Ver 4, although it does autoroute on the PC. Garmin disabled auto-routing when they introduced City Select in 2003 (?) which was later renamed City Navigator. That's why you are getting the "no routable roads" error. If you used it on your 176, you'd get the same error.

Fortunately, there's a solution - PM me for details.

Bob
PM sent
Jeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #4361
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There are some who say you need to keep your Spot and gps some distance apart. Yours look fairly close to me. Maybe that has something to do with it? Is your Spot in tracking mode or do you send OK messages with it?
It is in tracking mode and it seems to work 90% of the time so why fail when I enter big cities, the main reason I have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #4362
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I agree with Emmbeedee re: the SPOT being to close. Also, if you use the map in TRACK UP mode or NORTH UP mode, do you still have the problem?

Cheers,
How close is too close? The space between them is where my TomTom Rider was mounted for three years and I never had an issue with it, software wise, I did have mechanical issues not related to mapping

Maybe I can add some shielding between the two

Or I can try with the SPOT turned off While I try to navigate out of St P to get to Moscow

I have never used it in Track or North up mode while riding, it might take some getting used to

Cheers
TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 10:53 PM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #4363
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
Even if they say "Keep the Messenger at least 12 inches away from other GPS devices as SPOT can interfere with signal reception of other GPS devices" It's hard to believe that TS's issue is caused by the SPOT. The messenger sends position only every 10 minutes. it would just lose its position for a second or two. In addition, transmission power of the SPOT is less than that of normal cell phone. There shouldn't be any other electromagnetic interference than occasional jamming of the GPS reception. My guess is a software bug - in the unit itself or on the map. What if you reboot it?

I have seen just few software bugs. If the unit has to recalculate the route dozens of times next after next and I still don't obey it, it may crash. Once it stopped drawing the map for 30 seconds or so. All other information was still updated.
I believe this also, even in track mode the Spot is passive most of the time

As for rebooting it, I am Usually parked in the dead space between major turns on big road junctions when it freezes and have no choice but to reboot, but also do a restore to factory defaults which is very annoying and potentially dangerous

It seems to me the GPSis inherently faulty with hardware/software conflicts and issues

I will test with the Spot off and placed in the top box to prove one way or the other

As for failing to obey and making it recalculate, it does that often and is sooooo slooowww in doing the recalc, unless you are at walking speed you will always miss its next directive and it will lock up and crash, big software bug IMHO

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #4364
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
If I were an Uber User, I might create a custom symbol that is transparent and substitute :)
If you really wanted to be a contributing member to ADV, you would post the information here on how to accomplish that.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #4365
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
If you really wanted to be a contributing member to ADV, you would post the information here on how to accomplish that.
But then people wouldn't go look at his wiki......