ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #4366
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
After updating to 4.20 my montana doesn't charge it's battery when placed in the rugged amps mount while my bike is running.
Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Prior to 4.20 I had no problems.

south america trip
roadspirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #4367
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I had this happen once on a trip in May/June. But after stopping & reinstalling the Montana all has been good. Maybe check how you placed it in the rugged mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadspirit View Post
After updating to 4.20 my montana doesn't charge it's battery when placed in the rugged amps mount while my bike is running.
Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Prior to 4.20 I had no problems.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #4368
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
If you really wanted to be a contributing member to ADV, you would post the information here on how to accomplish that.
I have no affiliation with Atlas Cached, but I noticed recently when he tried to be helpful by referring people to his wiki where there was relevant information, his post got pulled by the Moderator.

I think his wiki has lots of useful Montana information that complements this thread, rather than competing with it. I visit both.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #4369
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Garmin had contacted me earlier in the week about what I reported as "Phantom Selector / Ghost in the Machine" in the "Wisdom and FAQ" thread. They asked me to try some tests, and to try out my theory about removing the screen protector, to see if that stops the problem. Finally had time, and hot weather today, so I ran a test.
My Montana was finally afflicted with this same disorder while out riding yesterday.

I am also using the Garmin screen protector.

I guess the choice now is either:
  1. No screen protector
  2. Don't use the Montana outside

atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #4370
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
My Montana was finally afflicted with this same disorder while out riding yesterday.

I am also using the Garmin screen protector.

I guess the choice now is either:
  1. No screen protector
  2. Don't use the Montana outside

Not true. The ZAGG InvisibleShield screen protector does not cause this issue - at least on the two Montana's I've had. The past two summers I have ridden in very hot (100℉+) for many hours, including the Montana sitting in the sun stationary with no problems. I believe that the issue is the thickness of the Garmin protector. I think it "pops" when it gets hot causing the screen to record a touch.

Yes, I go out of my way to find hot weather.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #4371
Jeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
MetroGuide stopped allowing auto-routing ON THE GPS after Ver 4, although it does autoroute on the PC. Garmin disabled auto-routing when they introduced City Select in 2003 (?) which was later renamed City Navigator. That's why you are getting the "no routable roads" error. If you used it on your 176, you'd get the same error.

Fortunately, there's a solution - PM me for details.

Bob
Thanks Bob for helping get my issue resolvedAppreciate it!
Jeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #4372
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Not true. The ZAGG InvisibleShield screen protector does not cause this issue - at least on the two Montana's I've had. The past two summers I have ridden in very hot (100℉+) for many hours, including the Montana sitting in the sun stationary with no problems. I believe that the issue is the thickness of the Garmin protector. I think it "pops" when it gets hot causing the screen to record a touch.

Yes, I go out of my way to find hot weather.

Cheers,
Have you been able to remove the ZAGG without damaging the Montana screen?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #4373
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Have you been able to remove the ZAGG without damaging the Montana screen?
Yes. And further back in this thread I outlined how to do so without damaging the touch screen plastic membrane. The directions that ZAGG give are not for screens like the Montana's. The technique used by the fellow that damaged his Montana is designed for hard Glass screens.

To safely remove a ZAGG protector from the Montana, you want to slowly peel back from a corner keeping the ZAGG protector as close to the surface of the screen as possible - DO NOT PULL UP AT A 90deg ANGLE. As you proceed to pull the protector off, you also want to "support" the screen by slightly pressing down with your other hand keeping your thumb on the screen just behind where the protector was. This keeps the plastic Montana screen from flexing out as you pull the protector back and off of the screen.

By the way, ZAGG does not make a protector specifically for the Montana. I use a zumo 660 protector and just cut it to fit.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 11:45 AM
Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #4374
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
If I were an Uber User, I might create a custom symbol that is transparent and substitute :)
Thanks, Atlas! I followed the instructions on the Uber User page of your Montana Wiki on how to replace a standard waypoint symbol, and made a new image to replace the huge Blue Pin that the Montana adds to every turn on a route (and really clutters the display).

Using the standard symbols:

Using a custom-mode small red dot:

Much better.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #4375
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Garmin quietly introduced a new accessory device (availability: 6-8 weeks) that provides wireless Temperature readings to what looks like many of the newer Garmin GPS's and wrist-ware. No spec's yet but it appears to be about the size of the Garmin chirp RFTag for geocaching.

I have asked the Montana Team to see when they think they will be supporting the tempe but have not heard back from them yet. I'm guessing that it is an ANT+ wireless device so it shouldn't be to hard to implement on the Montana.

Cheers,
Looks like an Aug 24th ship date from gpscity for this little Tempe sensor. The Garmin site says compatible with the Montana series. Probably just because of the built-in ANT wireless comm function in the Montana. Although I'm not finding a data field(s) for air temp. Perhaps when the sensor is within range, ANT will detect and connect then dynamically provide the data field??? Most likely will need a firmware release to add the support.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #4376
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Most likely will need a firmware release to add the support.
Exactly.

What applications might any users here use this temp sensor for?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #4377
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 711
how about extra caution when the roads are nearing the freeze mark or confirming the hot-as-hell mark (10?) and time to find a swimming hole in the Aug desert ...just more data...
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #4378
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
how about extra caution when the roads are nearing the freeze mark or confirming the hot-as-hell mark (10?) and time to find a swimming hole in the Aug desert ...just more data...
Maybe they can even code a new warning into the firmware:

ALERT: Touch Screen Failure Imminent Due To Heat

Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #4379
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Exactly.

What applications might any users here use this temp sensor for?

To see how hot my beer may be getting so I know when I have to stop and drink it.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #4380
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Looks like an Aug 24th ship date from gpscity for this little Tempe sensor. The Garmin site says compatible with the Montana series. Probably just because of the built-in ANT wireless comm function in the Montana. Although I'm not finding a data field(s) for air temp. Perhaps when the sensor is within range, ANT will detect and connect then dynamically provide the data field??? Most likely will need a firmware release to add the support.
The reply I received from the Montana team was that tempe would be supported. I'm guessing it will come in the same release that delivers Adventures support.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS