ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #4381
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Maybe they can even code a new warning into the firmware:

ALERT: Touch Screen Failure Imminent Due To Heat

Funny I've never had a heat related issue. Including riding in, and having the unit parked in the 100+ heat many times.

Of course I don't use screen protectors.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #4382
firedevildog
Ahole firefighter

Oddometer: 28
Cry Cant see 100k topo on montana

I got my Montana 600 yesterday with City Nav dvd and 100k US topo dvd. updated 600 to newest software downloaded newest version on mapinstaller and JaVaWa manager per thread advice. The City Nav loaded fine Loaded 100k US topo and cant see it on 600 have set up different profiles some with topo only enabled others with City Nav and topo enabled still cant see topo. when i go to 3D view it states that there is not significant elevation on this map or something like that.
Now the JaVaWa manager says that the City Nav is on the 600 itself with 162 segments and the 100k topo is on the sd card i 5 different maps with over 6000 segments this seem like to many since I read it can only handle 4000 at a time. don't know whats going on or what to do I am lost any help would be great thank
firedevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #4383
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedevildog View Post
I got my Montana 600 yesterday with City Nav dvd and 100k US topo dvd. updated 600 to newest software downloaded newest version on mapinstaller and JaVaWa manager per thread advice. The City Nav loaded fine Loaded 100k US topo and cant see it on 600 have set up different profiles some with topo only enabled others with City Nav and topo enabled still cant see topo. when i go to 3D view it states that there is not significant elevation on this map or something like that.
Now the JaVaWa manager says that the City Nav is on the 600 itself with 162 segments and the 100k topo is on the sd card i 5 different maps with over 6000 segments this seem like to many since I read it can only handle 4000 at a time. don't know whats going on or what to do I am lost any help would be great thank
You will need to remove the 100K topo maps you are not using (area you are not near)... Then use MapInstall to select a portion of the 100K topo near you and send only that section to your SD card. Recheck with JaVaWa and make sure you are not over 4000 total map segments on your device.

I suspect your Montana never gets to the 3D elevation data portion of the 100K topo before it stops indexing map segments.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #4384
firedevildog
Ahole firefighter

Oddometer: 28
K thanks
firedevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #4385
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post

Funny I've never had a heat related issue. Including riding in, and having the unit parked in the 100+ heat many times.

I do have the screen protector on and I'm not having the phantom selection happening. Weird!

And since I ride with EmmBeeDee we are in the same conditions so I wonder why it happens to his and not to mine.
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #4386
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
we are in the same conditions so I wonder why it happens to his and not to mine.

That could be said about just about every issue in this thread.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #4387
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
I do have the screen protector on and I'm not having the phantom selection happening. Weird!

And since I ride with EmmBeeDee we are in the same conditions so I wonder why it happens to his and not to mine.
How far apart are the SN for yours and MBD's Montana?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #4388
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post

I do..riding on the TAT in Oklahoma's desert. The screen window is puffed as if it has expanded(swelled), while in the morning it is back tight again. Of course I removed the screen protector as it made things worse. I tend to remove the Montana nightly..and boy is it hot from the bike and surrounding heat. Garmin needs to look at the screen material!

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 03:42 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #4389
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
How close is too close? The space between them is where my TomTom Rider was mounted for three years and I never had an issue with it, software wise, I did have mechanical issues not related to mapping

Maybe I can add some shielding between the two

Or I can try with the SPOT turned off While I try to navigate out of St P to get to Moscow

I have never used it in Track or North up mode while riding, it might take some getting used to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom

OK, I kept the SPOT in the top box behind my back and it was turned off. I tried to navigate out of St Petersburg and the stupid thing was so slow I had to stop and ask a copper which way to go? It could not keep up with the normal street pace of traffic and kept locking up

He pointed to the map on the GPS and although I tried to stop him, he touched the screen and poof, white screen white out, useless piece of crap.

It eventually came good after I did some illegal Uturns after asking some locals where was the road to Moscow. The compass was no much chop either.

You can see what I mean by this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwF88I1NB2k

I am dreading heading into Moscow today, I am leaving myself some extra time to get lost in

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #4390
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Hey TS,

That totally sucks. I had to laugh when you told him "it's shit". I know it's not funny to you but his reaction to it locking up was a look of "oh know I just broke his GPS".

I would be so frustrated with all the issues you have had I probably would have ran over the Montana by now. I sure hope heading into Moscow did not becom a nightmare.

Jon...
Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #4391
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I arrived in Moscow with many freezes and late calls. I was in a 10km traffic jam, I filtered through the traffic and it still locked up

I put it into Track Up mode and it seemed a but quicker to react but I still had to stop after every turn so it knew where I was heading, the time I did not stop I got stuck in a detour for 5 Kim's in the wrong direction

I think I will be writing to Garmin for my money back, this is NOT a useful item for an adventure rider

I may try and get my old MAP76S sent over, at least it had a black line to follow and I never had a system problem with that for over 259,000km

Or maybe I should buy a cheap Chinese knock off

I think I may resort to aap and hand signals

Roll in Kazakstan and China groan

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #4392
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
I think I will be writing to Garmin for my money back, this is NOT a useful item for an adventure rider
You certainly use your Montana in different conditions than the vast majority of other users who have no such problems. Do you think the problems you have had with your Montana are due to the conditions in which you use it or just a bad individual device? The one I have has been trouble free and is a useful item for an adventure rider. After all the trouble you have had, hopefully Garmin will resolve this to your satisfaction!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #4393
KTMDUB
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks to all in this thread tons of info..

Just got a 650t looking to get some maps.. has anybody used Rails-to-Trails Conservancy Trail Maps - West..? Im looking for Maps with mostly off road 4x4 trails type stuff mostly westcoast stuff ...What about the 24k maps they any better then the 100k ? thanks For any input..
KTMDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #4394
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
You certainly use your Montana in different conditions than the vast majority of other users who have no such problems. Do you think the problems you have had with your Montana are due to the conditions in which you use it or just a bad individual device? The one I have has been trouble free and is a useful item for an adventure rider. After all the trouble you have had, hopefully Garmin will resolve this to your satisfaction!
Well you make some good points

I believe the device is intended for multiple environments which is why it is supposed to handle air sea and land

I do not believe it can do all these successfully but only have first hand knowledge of it being unable to handle the land in a routable way

I reckon it can probably handle a direct line from A to B and when I select geocache or recreational it does point to where I need to go

Do I believe I have a dud unit, I would have to be extremely unlucky to get two units, with serial numbers worlds apart with the exact same fault.

I wont commit to it being another faulty unit, but watching the behavior of it all day every day, I cannot in all truth trust my life to it, I have considered a few times throwing it off a bridge I am crossing, but it cost me $850, that is a lot of petrol or beer to throw away

I am not doing anything different than other users, I am just in a different map area, the basic principles should be the same, I try and pick a destination on screen, or plot a route using BC then try and follow it. I cannot trust it, that is the problem in a nutshell

I know others have had no problems, you also by the sounds of it, and maybe I am unlucky, but, unfortunately for Garmin, I am a traveller in the middle of a strange land and had planned my trip around electronic navigation. I do not believe at this moment in time that I have chosen the correct brand to make me feel comfortable to continue using it

Now, that said, I know of a member called Colebatch on Horizons Unlimited who is using a Montana successfully on his trips throughout Asia, so who knows, maybe I do have another dud, where do I get it replaced, I don't have the time for reshipping?

I am in Moscow, confused and a bit pissed off with no real end in sight

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 07-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #4395
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

TS, which maps are you using in your travels?

Can you try other mapping options and see if the behavior changes?