ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 222 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #4396
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I have had my Montana since December. I haven't had any problems with it (touch wood).

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Well, maybe I need to have a lend of yours Becsta ;)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #4397
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Try disabling the topo and basemap. They shouldn't be necessary when navigating on road. Too many enabled maps seems to lead to funkiness.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #4398
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Try disabling the topo and basemap. They shouldn't be necessary when navigating on road. Too many enabled maps seems to lead to funkiness.
I will try anything :)

I wont have much chance to play in the traffic for a few days now though, but I will disable everything except Russia
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #4399
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Just in case you are interested, this is what happens when you are in Automotive mode, it locks up, so then you change map view from Automotive to Track Up, total white screen in this instance. This happens EVERY time I touch the map screen and it then takes minutes to settle down, even if I just want to zoom in a bit or out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WRUjaWJMBE

Cheers from Moscow
TravellingStrom
Old 07-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #4400
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
On The Road -- Having Problems. Any Advice?

Early this morning I set off on a month-long ride to the U.S. southwest. My wife is flying out to meet me in Denver in a few days. I've spent a long time planning, including about 10,000 km worth of routes crafted in Basecamp. So today I get on the bike, fire up the GPS and select my first route. I notice it's taking longer than usual to show the straight magenta line and for the green "Go" button to appear. Finally it does. I hit "Go", then it says the route doesn't match the maps. WTF? I've got exactly the same maps on my Mac and on my Montana -- CNNA 2012.4. I just used the GPS on a four-day weekend shake-down ride three weeks ago. It asks whether I want to re-calculate the route. I hit "yes". Then it tells me something like there are no routable maps. What? I check the maps on the GPS and CN is enabled. Only other map on there is the base map. I tried several times to get it to draw my route that I've uploaded to the GPS from Basecamp. No dice. Then I try a track (as I've also converted all my routes to tracks and loaded them on the device). Soon as I hit "Where To", then "Tracks" and select my track, the GPS crashes. Un-frickin'-believable. I then begin riding with the GPS off. I cross the border after 90 minutes and try again. No luck. I check to see I'm in my motorcycle profile, and I am. Finally, I punch "Where To" again, and instead of a route, or track, I select "Waypoints". I pick the hotel for night one and it calculates a route and it navigates it. So obviously it "knows" the unit has routable maps. What gives? Why will it not let me navigate my pre-planned routes? And no, there aren't many waypoints. Today's route only had four, or five, and it was for a journey of 885 km.

Good God I'm pissed off. I will try and resist talking about how my 276C never let me down in six years of use.

Can anybody help? BTW, I have my MacBook with me and I have all my data saved on it and have Basecamp. The data was just a "backup/restore" process from my Mac at home.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #4401
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
This raises a basic question that I have wondered about for a while -- should the basemap always be disabled, if you are using CNNA mapset?
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #4402
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
This raises a basic question that I have wondered about for a while -- should the basemap always be disabled, if you are using CNNA mapset?
Yes.... On some of the Nuvi's now, Garmin have written recent firmware so that No topographic maps can be enabled while City Navigator is enabled.... Hmmm.....
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #4403
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Yes.... On some of the Nuvi's now, Garmin have written recent firmware so that No topographic maps can be enabled while City Navigator is enabled.... Hmmm.....
OK, I will try something in the next day or so, but really I have no desire to experiment and ride around Moscow and get lost to prove or disprove this!

Mind you, I can be contrary at times and if I am sober enough and bored enough I will give it a go, at least I can find my way back to the hostel.

Don't forget though, my unit was replaced by Garmin in Southampton and I have done nothing to the configuration since they installed 4.20

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #4404
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post

..........I cannot trust it, that is the problem in a nutshell.......
I think that pretty much sums it up. Like you I would need to trust my GPS or it's of no use other than a fancy expensive electronic toy.

I have not had a chance to give my Montana a good workout like you and others have but if it starts giving me issues like I have read about in this thread I'll return it to REI and have to eat the cost of CNNA 2012.

I can't help but wonder how a Zumo or Nuvi would perform on your trip.

Jon...
Old 07-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #4405
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I can't help but wonder how a Zumo or Nuvi would perform on your trip.

Jon...
Yeah, or more to the point, a TomTom Rider, or a Magellen

But I see here many people talking about the 276 being real good, so maybe that would be the way to go, but getting one would e the issue, so it is a moot point
Old 07-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #4406
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,743
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Garmin quietly introduced a new accessory device (availability: 6-8 weeks) that provides wireless Temperature readings to what looks like many of the newer Garmin GPS's and wrist-ware. No spec's yet but it appears to be about the size of the Garmin chirp™ RFTag for geocaching.

I have asked the Montana Team to see when they think they will be supporting the tempe but have not heard back from them yet. I'm guessing that it is an ANT+ wireless device so it shouldn't be to hard to implement on the Montana.

Cheers,
I like this..... Have temp already but would love to compare it to the Montana's.

I also see mention above of different Map enabling....
If I'm using topo it of course won't allow routing, sooo I'll disable it and do the route with City Navigator... then after it displays the route I'll disable City Nav and Re-Enable Topo.... the route is still there allowing me to view the area in Topo detail aaand still see the route.
I like it

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 11:09 PM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #4407
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray
This raises a basic question that I have wondered about for a while -- should the basemap always be disabled, if you are using CNNA map set?
My experience is that if you Disable the Basemap when using City Navigator, the map draw performance when zoomed out past 12mi goes to crap - that is one of the purposes for the Basemap.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #4408
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Early this morning I set off on a month-long ride to the U.S. southwest. My wife is flying out to meet me in Denver in a few days. I've spent a long time planning, including about 10,000 km worth of routes crafted in Basecamp. So today I get on the bike, fire up the GPS and select my first route. I notice it's taking longer than usual to show the straight magenta line and for the green "Go" button to appear. Finally it does. I hit "Go", then it says the route doesn't match the maps. WTF? I've got exactly the same maps on my Mac and on my Montana -- CNNA 2012.4. I just used the GPS on a four-day weekend shake-down ride three weeks ago. It asks whether I want to re-calculate the route. I hit "yes". Then it tells me something like there are no routable maps. What? I check the maps on the GPS and CN is enabled. Only other map on there is the base map. I tried several times to get it to draw my route that I've uploaded to the GPS from Basecamp. No dice. Then I try a track (as I've also converted all my routes to tracks and loaded them on the device). Soon as I hit "Where To", then "Tracks" and select my track, the GPS crashes. Un-frickin'-believable. I then begin riding with the GPS off. I cross the border after 90 minutes and try again. No luck. I check to see I'm in my motorcycle profile, and I am. Finally, I punch "Where To" again, and instead of a route, or track, I select "Waypoints". I pick the hotel for night one and it calculates a route and it navigates it. So obviously it "knows" the unit has routable maps. What gives? Why will it not let me navigate my pre-planned routes? And no, there aren't many waypoints. Today's route only had four, or five, and it was for a journey of 885 km.

Good God I'm pissed off. I will try and resist talking about how my 276C never let me down in six years of use.

Can anybody help? BTW, I have my MacBook with me and I have all my data saved on it and have Basecamp. The data was just a "backup/restore" process from my Mac at home.
Where did you load your Route data to? Internal or µSD Card? When you load your Route's and Track's to the internal storage, BaseCamp will parse each of the Routes/Tracks into a single GPX file. This provides for much better memory performance loading the Route/Track and navigating. If you load to the µSD Card, all Routes/Tracks/Waypoints are in one file that must be read into memory.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #4409
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,240
Quote:
My experience is that if you Disable the Basemap when using City Navigator, the map draw performance when zoomed out past 12mi goes to crap - that is one of the purposes for the Basemap.

Cheers,
I agree. Basemap should be left on with CNNA. But multiple maps should 't. Topo and CNNA together is useless at best and problematic at worst.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #4410
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Where did you load your Route data to? Internal or µSD Card? When you load your Route's and Track's to the internal storage, BaseCamp will parse each of the Routes/Tracks into a single GPX file. This provides for much better memory performance loading the Route/Track and navigating. If you load to the µSD Card, all Routes/Tracks/Waypoints are in one file that must be read into memory.
I am not following why loading Routes and Tracks to the internal storage (which you said Basecamp parses into a single GPX file) provides better memory performance when loading and navigating. You indicated loading to the µSD card results in all Routes/Tracks/Waypoints in one file. So how are the two methods different? Can you elaborate on how these processes work (internal versus the µSD card)?
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote