ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #4396
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,098
Rugged Mount "security screw" just spins...

I'm trying to get a Montana 600 to work (with enormous problems...partly my own ignorance and partly Garmin's ridiculous documentation).

However...I figured I'd at least see if it fits in the cradle and...it does, but the "security screw" (the Torx screw) doesn't engage, just spins around.

That figures.

Anyone else have problems with the "security screw." Some security...

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #4397
bigdog1807
Miles Craven

Oddometer: 135
GPS Noob needing help with Montana

Anyone willing to get on the phone with me and get this 650 set up for TAT? My buddy handed his new GPS to me and asked me to figure it out. The TAT trip is coming up in two weeks and I have no idea how to get the GPX files or waypoints or whatever loaded on it. I'm still a map guy. Willing to make a nice donation to ADVrider in whoever' name that helps me.
bigdog1807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #4398
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog1807 View Post
Anyone willing to get on the phone with me and get this 650 set up for TAT? My buddy handed his new GPS to me and asked me to figure it out. The TAT trip is coming up in two weeks and I have no idea how to get the GPX files or waypoints or whatever loaded on it. I'm still a map guy. Willing to make a nice donation to ADVrider in whoever' name that helps me.
There are lots of YouTube videos that show you how to do what you want. Typing/phone instructions for a new user is pretty much like a reading a manual.

Go to YouTube or here http://www.gpscity.ca/gps-videos.html?category=handheld and invest a bit of time going through some videos to show you what to do.

You have to realize that there is a learning curve involved that you will have to go through - there are no short cuts - so be prepared for the fact that you will have to invest some time in trial and error.

You should also spend some time understanding how Basecamp http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...s.jsp?id=4435/ on a laptop interacts with the Montana to load maps, gps files and waypoints.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #4399
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
I'm trying to get a Montana 600 to work (with enormous problems...partly my own ignorance and partly Garmin's ridiculous documentation).

However...I figured I'd at least see if it fits in the cradle and...it does, but the "security screw" (the Torx screw) doesn't engage, just spins around.

That figures.

Anyone else have problems with the "security screw." Some security...

--Doc

Make sure the unit is seated properly. If the unit didn't make a nice click when the top clamped down then odds are it's not all the way seated and the security screw will just spin around.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #4400
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom
I wont commit to it being another faulty unit, but watching the behavior of it all day every day, I cannot in all truth trust my life to it, I have considered a few times throwing it off a bridge I am crossing, but it cost me $850, that is a lot of petrol or beer to throw away
I have not had any problems with mine…but having had Garmins before, I learned that calibrating EVERYTHING possible once in awhile, fixes little navigation glitches. Calibrating the compass, the altitude, and whatever else you can find. Had a "freeze" on an older unit because it couldn't decide which way it was going and how to display the map (only know this because turning off and calibrating compass the issue quit).
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #4401
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Make sure the unit is seated properly. If the unit didn't make a nice click when the top clamped down then odds are it's not all the way seated and the security screw will just spin around.
Plus you kind of need to push down on the screw to engage
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #4402
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
I am in Moscow, confused and a bit pissed off with no real end in sight
Excellent response, thank you! As you know, there are so many variables with a situation like this. It could be any combination of your device(s) serial number with the firmware with the map coverage with the map version with Basecamp/Mapsource versions with the connections with the Rugged Mount with satellite coverage with motorcycle and environmental electrical variances, etc., etc. To give you some solace, I can say that I think your publicized travails will help give Garmin the impetus to evolve the device/software to the point that your problems are something that the rest of us do not have to deal with in the future. I hope the rest of your trip is safe and enjoyable!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #4403
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
TS, which maps are you using in your travels?

Can you try other mapping options and see if the behavior changes?

I am using Open Street Maps of Russia, but prior to that I was using City Navigator 2012 Europe, an official Garmin product.

It seems not to matter what I use, it is not helpful as a SatNav unit at this point in time
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #4404
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I have had my Montana since December. I haven't had any problems with it (touch wood).

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #4405
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,711
Quote:
I am using Open Street Maps of Russia, but prior to that I was using City Navigator 2012 Europe, an official Garmin product.

It seems not to matter what I use, it is not helpful as a SatNav unit at this point in time
Have you tried using it in the local language where you are to see if that helps speed things up. Just as an experiment, anyway? Or have you removed the other languages from the device?
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #4406
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,275
Disgusted

While I am sure some are trouble free, there are FAR too many of us having the same problems with the same Garmin product.

I've taken the screen protector off entirely, run straight on battery (both Garmins' and AA cells), and sync'd software to the Garmin site. My AMPS mount is vibration protected. I'm only using maps from Garmin.

The screen STILL locks up with heat, the unit still occasionally changes its' own settings if using bike OR CAR power, and TravellingStrom captured the subject in writing that this Garmin device can not be trusted. Plus the Garmin interface is a pain in the a$$.

Quote:
Well you make some good points

I believe the device is intended for multiple environments which is why it is supposed to handle air sea and land

I do not believe it can do all these successfully but only have first hand knowledge of it being unable to handle the land in a routable way

I reckon it can probably handle a direct line from A to B and when I select geocache or recreational it does point to where I need to go

Do I believe I have a dud unit, I would have to be extremely unlucky to get two units, with serial numbers worlds apart with the exact same fault.

I wont commit to it being another faulty unit, but watching the behavior of it all day every day, I cannot in all truth trust my life to it, I have considered a few times throwing it off a bridge I am crossing, but it cost me $850, that is a lot of petrol or beer to throw away

I am not doing anything different than other users, I am just in a different map area, the basic principles should be the same, I try and pick a destination on screen, or plot a route using BC then try and follow it. I cannot trust it, that is the problem in a nutshell

I know others have had no problems, you also by the sounds of it, and maybe I am unlucky, but, unfortunately for Garmin, I am a traveller in the middle of a strange land and had planned my trip around electronic navigation. I do not believe at this moment in time that I have chosen the correct brand to make me feel comfortable to continue using it

Now, that said, I know of a member called Colebatch on Horizons Unlimited who is using a Montana successfully on his trips throughout Asia, so who knows, maybe I do have another dud, where do I get it replaced, I don't have the time for reshipping?

I am in Moscow, confused and a bit pissed off with no real end in sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 07-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #4407
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Did you do a master reset?

I've had issues early on and I think the issues were caused by profiles that I made, and possibly from running beta firmware. Doing a master reset after the latest firmware upgrade and everything has been running just peachy for thousands of miles.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #4408
Ronin120
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
While I am sure some are trouble free, there are FAR too many of us having the same problems with the same Garmin product.

I've taken the screen protector off entirely, run straight on battery (both Garmins' and AA cells), and sync'd software to the Garmin site. My AMPS mount is vibration protected. I'm only using maps from Garmin.

The screen STILL locks up with heat, the unit still occasionally changes its' own settings if using bike OR CAR power, and TravellingStrom captured the subject in writing that this Garmin device can not be trusted. Plus the Garmin interface is a pain in the a$$.
I've been using my 600 now for some time, off-road and on, and I have had the same issues as WreckChecker. I had hoped that over time that the interface would make more sense as I used it and that problems would be resolved by Garmin. Unfortunately that has not proven to be and my feelings about this unit in relation to my GPSMAP 376c still stand. It is unnecessarily complex and quite unreliable. IMO, it is still WOFTAM.
Ronin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #4409
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Sounds like you'll need to analyze the waypoints to see where they fall on or near the roads.

Cheers,
I think I figured it out—if I set the waypoints to be shaping points (command-K, "Don't alert on arrival"), it doesn't work.

If I set them to alert on arrival (which is less than ideal, I don't really give a hoot on most of them), the route works.

This cropped up again on the current route that I'm using to head to Maine again today; despite all the waypoints being on roads and using the same map to create the route as what is active on the GPS, it didn't work. With the points set to alert on arrival, the same route works. If I wasn't trying to leave five minutes ago, I'd try editing the previous route and seeing if the same behavior occurs...but I'm guessing it would.

(the odd part is that the return route last time did have the points set to be shaping points, and it worked...hmm, further investigation definitely needed, but I can't really do it at the moment).
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #4410
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Have you tried using it in the local language where you are to see if that helps speed things up. Just as an experiment, anyway? Or have you removed the other languages from the device?
Hi, hmm, the local language, I still have not worked out which word is beer yet, not sure I want to experiment with my GPS ;) Have you seen the Russian alphabet, it is crazy, I get to go to a Bap for a beer

I have all the languages still on it, it is basically factory, except for the map sets.

I tried to navigate to a HU members place to get an oil change done, in the rain, not good, many white screens, but once I got on the main road west, I could manage to play around with it, 15kms of freeway. In fact I kept getting route errors(I found out a lot later that day the waypoint was off the road, once I put it on the road it was fine as a destination) Instead, in the morning, I changed my profile to Recreational and it then gave me the purple line as a point somewhere over there, I found this to be of use at the time and a lot less stressing.

I changed it to "Track Up" and zoomed in to a nice view and although the thing did lock up, I had a better view of what was ahead.

I do now believe the actual blue TRACK is correct, even though it is ahead of me by some distance, I think it is the very slow map redraw ability of the Garmin software, it just cannot do it fast enough.

The only maps I have enabled are the Russian one and the world map and topo. I have a number of maps disabled.

During today's ride at some stage it decided the waypoint I had as my base(Chillax Hostel) was now no longer in the database WTF, I just came from there!!!

I had to do another reset to factory defaults, then amazingly my hostel was back and available so I could get back to my bed. In the Rain, in fact all day it only rained when I was on the bike and trying to use this thing.

You know, as much as I hate the thing now, I am an adventure rider and looking on the bright side I have cheap beer and cheap petrol, so if I do get lost, it won't cost me too much to live ;)

Cheers
TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 08:30 AM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote