ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #4441
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Yes. You click the check button and get to the list but that is an additional click.
OK, thanks. Yeah, either ✔ or X will take you back to the list but what a PITA. I think they really need to remove that.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #4442
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
OK, thanks. Yeah, either ✔ or X will take you back to the list but what a PITA. I think they really need to remove that.

Cheers,
I'm guessing it was an oversight The "Nearest" sort list goes straight to the list with the search being an option.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #4443
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Urgent Help Needed

Hi

I am trying to load some new maps to my Montana

The issue is, when I connect the unit to the computer via USB lead, when it powers up and it asks me if I want to go to Mass Storage, as soon as I say yes, it shuts down?

If I say no, then it works, but I cannot see the SD card which is my goal.

I can maybe get around that by using an SD card adaptor, but it is pretty useless if I want to create routes on Basecamp and upload them

Any ideas please?

I am now doing yet another master reset to see if that will have any effect.

Cheers from Russia
TravellingStrom

***Edit*** OK, the master reset worked, it now boots up as normal when connected, I am going to wear out that corner of the screen the amount of times I am doing master resets, minimum 3 times a day!!!

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 10:25 PM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #4444
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
TS, I have been experiencing that same issue with my Montana 650 intermittently. Nearly 50% of the time, when I select "Yes" to enter Mass Storage Mode, the unit will either shut down or return to the screen that was active before connecting the USB cable.

EXAMPLE

I am running 4.20 - and have reported my findings to Garmin.

atlas cached screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 08:11 PM
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #4445
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Curious. Mine never asks me anything about mass storage mode when I plug it in. Win XP or 7.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #4446
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Curious. Mine never asks me anything about mass storage mode when I plug it in. Win XP or 7.
It will (when it works as designed) once you adjust [Setup] [System] [Interface] to [Garmin Spanner].

This setting is Profile Dependent.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #4447
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
It will (when it works as designed) once you adjust [Setup] [System] [Interface] to [Garmin Spanner].

I see. I have mine set to Garmin Serial and have no issues at all.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #4448
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:

Interesting, I only use Spanner Mode and I haven't seen that problem since the very early days and I am mode switching many times a day. I do believe that there is a major issue with the Montana's Profile schema and have reported several repeatable issues - this may be another one of them where the basic feature is not the problem but rather how it is called in the Profile combined with other Mode settings.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #4449
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
In the past my recommendation for GPS units with µSD cards has been to put all user data on the card. That way you can easily remove data that my get/be corrupted and your unit will continue to function. Not to mention, sharing data with others while on a ride. I still believe that is the best policy. BUT, currently the Montana and BaseCamp operate as I described above.

Also, the v4 BaseCamp Beta is now storing data on the µSD Card the same as it does on Internal Storage. So, once BaseCamp v4 is released and the Montana software is updated, performance should be improved when storing user data on the µSD Card.

Cheers,
Well, working with too many Beta's has caught up to me. Thanks BobM for reminding me that v4.20 changed the way data is written to the µSD Card and corrected the duplicate Waypoint issue.

I think I need to improve my Beta Testing data collection/documentation procedures: 2 BaseCamp Beta's, 4 device Beta's and iOS Beta.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #4450
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Well, working with too many Beta's has caught up to me. Thanks BobM for reminding me that v4.20 changed the way data is written to the µSD Card and corrected the duplicate Waypoint issue.

I think I need to improve my Beta Testing data collection/documentation procedures: 2 BaseCamp Beta's, 4 device Beta's and iOS Beta.

Cheers,
Which duplicate waypoint issue was corrected with 4.20?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #4451
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergster View Post
Low voltage was the problem. I disconnected everything and ran a temp wire direct to battery and BINGO - it worked. Turns out the lead I pulled power from was too low a voltage as you guys correctly pointed out. I found another lead that was approx. 13 volts and all is now working properly.

Thanks all for your help.

I'm getting 12.4 or so volts at the pins but the Montana won't power up in the cradle. The pins are straight and springy. The Montana is aligned and locked in. Still no go.

?????
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #4452
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Which duplicate waypoint issue was corrected with 4.20?
Previous to v4.20, when you transferred Routes that have waypoints in them and the waypoints to the Montana, you would see duplicate waypoints in the Waypoint Manager.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #4453
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by taranaki View Post
I'm getting 12.4 or so volts at the pins but the Montana won't power up in the cradle. The pins are straight and springy. The Montana is aligned and locked in. Still no go.

?????
You sure you have the power cables connected right? I remember another inmate described the same problem eons ago and he hadn't connected them correctly so it's worth checking it over again...

Red is power, black is ground. The rest don't matter.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #4454
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I said that I would report back after taking Drtbyk's suggestion to load all my user data into internal storage and not onto the micro SD card as I had before embarking a month-long ride four days ago. My Montana was really not working at all. Now I can report that after taking that suggestion, and also re-enabling the baseman, all seems to be working fine. It was really unbelievable how unresponsive my GPS was simply because of that issue. I never would have thought of that. It begs the question as to why a user can do that and have such a negative result. I was ready to toss the thing in the garbage it was that bad..
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #4455
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You sure you have the power cables connected right? I remember another inmate described the same problem eons ago and he hadn't connected them correctly so it's worth checking it over again...

Red is power, black is ground. The rest don't matter.

Eureka!