ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #4441
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
I said that I would report back after taking Drtbyk's suggestion to load all my user data into internal storage and not onto the micro SD card as I had before embarking a month-long ride four days ago. My Montana was really not working at all. Now I can report that after taking that suggestion, and also re-enabling the baseman, all seems to be working fine. It was really unbelievable how unresponsive my GPS was simply because of that issue. I never would have thought of that. It begs the question as to why a user can do that and have such a negative result. I was ready to toss the thing in the garbage it was that bad..
Just to be clear, you should not have to move your data. I would suggest reformatting the µSD Card and then you could try reloading your data to it. But, since the Montana is working OK in this data configuration and you're on the road, maybe just leave well enough alone for now.

Hope you have a great ride.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #4442
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,230
Man, I am so on the fence with this thing. I keep getting the urge to sell my 478 and buy a Montana. Then I come in here and see issues like Traveling Strom and the wind just goes out of my sails.

Want touch screen, want more memory, want better antenna, but dammit I don't want to be a beta tester.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #4443
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
How many hundred/thousands of satisfied people are out there for every dissatisfied one. I had some early issues but the firmware updates have me as stable as can be now. My unit has almost 10,000 miles on it at this point and seems to chug along just fine.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #4444
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
How many hundred/thousands of satisfied people are out there for every dissatisfied one. I had some early issues but the firmware updates have me as stable as can be now. My unit has almost 10,000 miles on it at this point and seems to chug along just fine.
DING!!! No Prob here
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #4445
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
DING!!! No Prob here
+2 here.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #4446
KTM Explorer
Dirt Whore

Oddometer: 194
Garmin Montana on the KTM::

I have a RAM bar mount unit with the non-powered cradle. Works great. Wanedt to change to the Garmin Rugged Mount to provide power at all time to the unit - bought one.

Bought a 4-hole RAM ball mount to (theoretically) bolt on to the 4 hole rugged mount....................bzzzzzzt!......... no go. 2 holes line up but the other two are a further distance away.

What do I need to purchase to hook the Gar rugged mount to?

THX!
KTM Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #4447
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
You need an AMPS mount.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-uni...-b-347-g1.html

IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #4448
KTM Explorer
Dirt Whore

Oddometer: 194
Excellent. Just ordered one up from GPS City -
KTM Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #4449
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Man, I am so on the fence with this thing. I keep getting the urge to sell my 478 and buy a Montana. Then I come in here and see issues like Traveling Strom and the wind just goes out of my sails.

Want touch screen, want more memory, want better antenna, but dammit I don't want to be a beta tester.
I went through my share of frustration with this thing, but I did not have any of the really bad issues. Most of the frustration had to do with autorouting. (still does) Mine had 3.90 from the store, and I have never seen a white screen, uncommanded shutdowns, etc., just some odd behavior now and then, which is mostly gone with 4.20.

I love the screen, the programability with profiles, the mounts. Bottom line is get one, be patient, and learn what it actually does as opposed to what you think it should! It could be that it just won't do what you need, but I doubt it.

Plan on a about a week to get it to work well enough to use, and a couple of months of learning to get it to really sing for you......(and re-reading all 300 pages of this forum...)

The maps you decide to load have a HUGE impact on how well it works. Choose carefully.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #4450
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Anyone else here using a Montana with a Scala intercom, where the Rugged Mount cable is wired into the Scala? The reason I ask is that I sent an email to Garmin asking this:

Hi, I was wondering if there would be any way to address this problem: I have a Montana 650, with the Rugged Mount audio cable into a Scala G4 intercom and I always miss the first words of whatever's said, since the intercom's voice activated, but not instant.

I really like my Scala but this part does not work particularly well. It would be much better if the gps could send a wake-up call to the intercom a couple of seconds before the real message is sent.

Garmin replied this way:

We don’t often add features for a single individual, although I’ll add this one to the review pool when we next sort them. We’ll probably need a little more information if/when that happens (how long of a beep?, how long should we wait until speaking?, how loud of a beep?).

This really seems like a bug in the G4. The G4 looks like it is treating the MP3 hardline as if it were an intercom instead of a standard audio input. I guess this works alright for MP3 players, as long as you don’t pause the MP3 player too long. I only ask that you check with them as it seems like they’ve got an option for this for the intercom modes (voice connect vs channel button connect).

End quote

So, anyone else have this problem, and willing to add their voice to the request?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #4451
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Anyone else here using a Montana with a Scala intercom, where the Rugged Mount cable is wired into the Scala? The reason I ask is that I sent an email to Garmin asking this:

Hi, I was wondering if there would be any way to address this problem: I have a Montana 650, with the Rugged Mount audio cable into a Scala G4 intercom and I always miss the first words of whatever's said, since the intercom's voice activated, but not instant.

I really like my Scala but this part does not work particularly well. It would be much better if the gps could send a wake-up call to the intercom a couple of seconds before the real message is sent.

Garmin replied this way:

We don’t often add features for a single individual, although I’ll add this one to the review pool when we next sort them. We’ll probably need a little more information if/when that happens (how long of a beep?, how long should we wait until speaking?, how loud of a beep?).

This really seems like a bug in the G4. The G4 looks like it is treating the MP3 hardline as if it were an intercom instead of a standard audio input. I guess this works alright for MP3 players, as long as you don’t pause the MP3 player too long. I only ask that you check with them as it seems like they’ve got an option for this for the intercom modes (voice connect vs channel button connect).

End quote

So, anyone else have this problem, and willing to add their voice to the request?

I have that setup. I haven't tried it yet though. I didn't think about that part. That is an important feature for sure.

I think it only needs to be a 1 sec pause after the triggering sound. I will typically holler "hey!" when I want to activate the comm unit. Would a beep be enough to activate it?

I can probably take the DRZ out this weekend and give it a test. I haven't hardwired the mount on my FZ yet (that I ride to work everyday).
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #4452
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
I have that setup. I haven't tried it yet though. I didn't think about that part. That is an important feature for sure.

I think it only needs to be a 1 sec pause after the triggering sound. I will typically holler "hey!" when I want to activate the comm unit. Would a beep be enough to activate it?

I can probably take the DRZ out this weekend and give it a test. I haven't hardwired the mount on my FZ yet (that I ride to work everyday).
The wired circuit I plugged the Montana cable into isn't activated via the typical means, it wakes when a signal comes from the device which is plugged into it. It'll work well if you have a music player plugged in because that will keep the circuit alive, but the Montana is quiet while the directions are not being sent, so that part of the circuit on the Scala goes back into listening mode. Asleep, kinda.

So as far as I can tell the only thing that can wake the Scala is an advance signal from the Montana.

Oh, and if it's the G4 you have, a "Hey" will not wake it. You need a long sound with a higher ending note, according to Scala. So a "sooooooWEE!" is required. "Pig Pig Pig" is optional.

The Scala Q2 is activated with a pop sound, but not the G4/9. I was ready to give up on our new G4s this Spring until I found out that little bit of wisdom. Being used to the Q2 for the last two years meant that I tried all kinds of pop sounds but it never woke the G4 and I assumed incorrectly that they were faulty.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #4453
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 462
Ahhh, mine is the Q2. I'm actually quite disappointed in it so I opted for the Sena. I ordered it today so I'll have it for my trip.

So... if the Q2 and Q4 are awakened differently, and there are other brands/models out there that who knows how they're awakened... that's kind of a tough one for Garmin to accomodate (I would think). I think it's awesome that they're game to ponder it at least.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #4454
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Is there a way to skip waypoints in a route? Example is; I go from waypoint A to B. I stop at B for a while and turn off the GPS. I get back on the bike and turn on the gps and click map. I go off riding to waypoint C and notice a few miles from waypoint B that it is trying to get me to make a u-turn and go back past B before going to C.

I did a small day trip today and noticed this while going down the road and had to remember my route in my head since it kept wanting me to go back to the previous waypoint. Hope I make sense.

Thanks
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #4455
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
This seems to be a an issue specific to the actual intercom system, and the way they are designed to prioritise signals.

I have the Camos Bluetooth system, and with my old TomTomRiderII I only heard the end of a long message.

This was because the Camos sensed an incoming signal from the TTR2, the faded down the music from the iPod, but, by the time it faded the music down and faded up the sound from the GPS, the message was finished, a very annoying issue

It seems it is not just Camos that tries to make this transition 'pleasant', it may seem pleasant but it was the reason I stopped using the GPS audio, it turned my music off without giving me any useful information.

I do not believe it is the Garmin problem, but your Scala

Cheers
TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

Garmin replied this way:

End quote