ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 251 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #4471
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
I just tried as you discribed.
The new shortcut (to Classic) does not work in an original profile and neither in the custom profile...

Cheers,

Peter
When you say it doesn't work, what is it doing - or not doing?

One more thing, can you use the Change Profile app to change Profiles?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #4472
PeterS
Loves big headlights...

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
When you say it doesn't work, what is it doing - or not doing?

One more thing, can you use the Change Profile app to change Profiles?

Cheers,
When I push on the shortcut, the screen gives a short freeze/flickr and than nothing happens, it doesn't go to the other profile.

Yes I can change the profiles and the changes are applied to the profile (at least to the custom ones).

Cheers,

Peter
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #4473
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
When I push on the shortcut, the screen gives a short freeze/flickr and than nothing happens, it doesn't go to the other profile.

Yes I can change the profiles and the changes are applied to the profile (at least to the custom ones).

Cheers,

Peter
If it were me I would do a Master Reset. If that doesn't solve the problem, I would reinstall v4.20 using WebUpdater.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #4474
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The wired circuit I plugged the Montana cable into isn't activated via the typical means, it wakes when a signal comes from the device which is plugged into it.
After reading the manual I found out that the Scala G4's MP3/Aux (Wired) circuit works this way:

"Any other audio connection will automatically mute the MP3 Player. The audio signal will return only when the G4 is once again in Standby mode."

I just need to be sure no other channel is active if I want to hear the audio from the Montana through the wired connection.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #4475
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
After reading the manual I found out that the Scala G4's MP3/Aux (Wired) circuit works this way:

"Any other audio connection will automatically mute the MP3 Player. The audio signal will return only when the G4 is once again in Standby mode."

I just need to be sure no other channel is active if I want to hear the audio from the Montana through the wired connection.
So it sounds like the mp3/aux input is the lowest priority then. I guess that makes since since the G4 is really a wireless device that they added a wired input to. Of course the downside in this case is if you are listing to music over Bluetooth (iPhone) then as you have discovered you will miss the beginning of the GPS prompts.

Jon...
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #4476
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I can probably create a language doing what I need with Garmin Voice Studio.
Wow.....I did not know they had that. Very interesting.

It does not list the Montana as a compatible device. Do you think it could still be used to create voices for the Montana?

Jon...
Old 07-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #4477
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Wow.....I did not know they had that. Very interesting.

It does not list the Montana as a compatible device. Do you think it could still be used to create voices for the Montana?

Jon...
I'm sure the voices could be used with the Montana. But it'd be easy enough to download and run the program, then send a voice to the gps and test it.

Edit: The Montana does support custom voices - just sent a sample called "Amy Elk" I found on the web. It does give voice commands when I simulate navigation.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 07:42 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #4478
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Cool.....I think I'll have to play with voices when I have time.

Jon...
Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #4479
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
I'm trying to get a Montana 600 to work (with enormous problems...partly my own ignorance and partly Garmin's ridiculous documentation).

However...I figured I'd at least see if it fits in the cradle and...it does, but the "security screw" (the Torx screw) doesn't engage, just spins around.

That figures.

Anyone else have problems with the "security screw." Some security...

--Doc
Mine has done exactly that since about a month after I got it. No, it is not a security screw, that's for sure but it was handy to help ensure that the Montana wouldn't fall out of the cradle during a rough ride. I haven't bothered getting another mount because it would probably just do the same thing.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #4480
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
How many hundred/thousands of satisfied people are out there for every dissatisfied one. I had some early issues but the firmware updates have me as stable as can be now. My unit has almost 10,000 miles on it at this point and seems to chug along just fine.
4500 posts and over 200 pages? Well that alone says a lot. This thread has been very helpful to some and a few have been fantastic contributors. Some others, like me are not particularly impressed with it. If Garmin would at least provide proper documentation and stop releasing buggy units to the market place, you would not need over 200 pages of beta testing stories and the wisdom of a few who actually have the patience, time and interest to find resolutions, then inform and help others.

Perhaps at a $200 price point one could expect that but not at $800. Just sayin.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #4481
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
Perhaps at a $200 price point one could expect that but not at $800. Just sayin.

I paid a little over $300.00. Oh, and every GPS I've owned has had peculiarities and a learning curve. The fact that this unit can be a lot of things to a lot of different end users just makes that curve a little steeper.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #4482
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
I paid a little over $300.00. Oh, and every GPS I've owned has had peculiarities and a learning curve. The fact that this unit can be a lot of things to a lot of different end users just makes that curve a little steeper.
Of course things have a learning curve but this is a simple GPS, not a laser gyro inertial reference system. I agree that the unit does many things but none of them particularly well. I just wish Garmin would focus on one thing at a time, get that straight and working properly, then move on to the next. As it stands, the Montana, like the Zumo before it, has terrible mapping ability which cannot be trusted ( although the resolution is better ) and annoying bugs like spontaneous and spurious shutdowns, white screens etc.....Now they want to add a remote temp sensor. Really?..

Your experience is different than mine but there are many who have issues with this unit and as I have said before, I find Google Maps to be a much better street navigator for a lot less money. Agreed it won't tell me when is the best time to go fishing but I am more than ok with that for a bug free navigational experience.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #4483
bluerock5
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question How do I change the Language...

just got it and I need to switch to English...Thanks
bluerock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #4484
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
Of course things have a learning curve but this is a simple GPS, not a laser gyro inertial reference system. I agree that the unit does many things but none of them particularly well. I just wish Garmin would focus on one thing at a time, get that straight and working properly, then move on to the next. As it stands, the Montana, like the Zumo before it, has terrible mapping ability which cannot be trusted ( although the resolution is better ) and annoying bugs like spontaneous and spurious shutdowns, white screens etc.....Now they want to add a remote temp sensor. Really?..

Your experience is different than mine but there are many who have issues with this unit and as I have said before, I find Google Maps to be a much better street navigator for a lot less money. Agreed it won't tell me when is the best time to go fishing but I am more than ok with that for a bug free navigational experience.
Why haven't you returned the unit to Garmin for repair?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #4485
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerock5 View Post
just got it and I need to switch to English...Thanks
If the unit was delivered with a not-English base language you will need to do a Master Reset and then select English.

Master Reset: Power unit Off. Press and hold the upper left corner of the screen and power the unit on. Continue to press the upper left corner until there is a message displayed about Deleting all user data... press YES. Then after the unit restarts select English.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 09:25 AM