ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 AM   #4516
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpeebles View Post
......not needing to scroll every way point that's on the machine.
What other waypoints do you have? Are they hotels, repair shops, banks etc? You can build your own set of POI's, then send them to the gps using Garmin's POI Loader. The POI's will only appear in 'Extras' when you do a Find/Search. It works on my 62s, I'd have to believe you could do it on the Montana.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod...poiloader.html
http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 11:00 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #4517
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
What other waypoints do you have? Are they hotels, repair shops, banks etc. You can build your own set of POI's using Garmin's POI Loader. The POI's will only appear in 'Extras' when you do a Find/Search. It works on my 62s, I'd have to believe you could do it on the Montana.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

daryl
That's a really good idea - create your own "Favorites" category. Of course POILoader does work with the Montana line, the same way it does with the 62. In fact just yesterday I loaded a POI file of lighthouses to my Montana and doing a "Where To/Extras" brings up the Lighthouses category, as expected.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #4518
JustRon
ex-broadwayron
 
JustRon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
It would have only been mentioned if someone didn't make sure that the unit was well seated in the Rugged Mount. I don't even bother to use the security screw when I use the Montana on my HP2 off-road - and I like rugged terrain. Never had any issues with the unit popping out of the mount. Having said that I do use a tether even when it's mounted on my GSA.

Cheers,
I wasn't using the RUGGED mount- I had the cheaper Ram cradle (no wiring). I think I'll buy the Rugged mount, though.
Question about that mount... if you don't want to hardwire the Montana, do the cables detach from the mount, or will I have to ziptie them and stuff 'em somewhere? I don't want to cut them, but I don't want to hardwire it right now (maybe in the future, but I've never run out of battery power yet).
__________________
2010 520RR
2013 TR650
JustRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #4519
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
I wasn't using the RUGGED mount- I had the cheaper Ram cradle (no wiring). I think I'll buy the Rugged mount, though.
Question about that mount... if you don't want to hardwire the Montana, do the cables detach from the mount, or will I have to ziptie them and stuff 'em somewhere? I don't want to cut them, but I don't want to hardwire it right now (maybe in the future, but I've never run out of battery power yet).
You can detach the Cable/Connector from the Rugged Mount if you have a small T6 Torx driver. If you do remove the cable, I suggest putting it and the screws in a zip-loc bag so you don't lose the screws.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #4520
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpeebles View Post
Sorry if this has been covered but I can't find the answer with thread searches nor with Google.

On our Zumo 550 we can mark certain locations as "Favorite" destinations. Then when starting a trip a "Whereto" operation lets us select from those, not needing to scroll every way point that's on the machine.

Is there a way to do this on the Montana 650t?

Thanks.

rw

(Great thread here ... many thanks to all the posters! )
Features must have changed on the zumo's since I owned them. Where are the "other" waypoints located on the zumo if not in the Favorites?

On the Montana, in addition to the POI suggestion, you could just choose a naming convention for your "favorite" waypoints so that they pop to the top of the list when you Sort Alphabetically. I use an (!) Exclamation Point at the beginning of each name for my "favorites" since it is first in the list of other-punctuation marks and therefore will always come to the top of the sort list.

There is a "Favorite" Dashboard on the Montana so don't get it confused with "Favorites=Waypoints" on the zumo's.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 09:13 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #4521
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer
 
Rocky TFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
On the Montana, in addition to the POI suggestion, you could just choose a naming convention for your "favorite" waypoints so that they pop to the top of the list when you Sort Alphabetically. I use an (!) Exclamation Point at the beginning of each name for my "favorites" since it is first in the list of other-punctuation marks and therefore will always come to the top of the sort list.

Cheers,
What a great idea!!!!!!

More votes for Dan to get a free Montana from Garmin!!!!!!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #4522
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
There is a "Favorite" Dashboard on the Montana so don't get it confused with "Favorites=Waypoints" on the zumo's.

Cheers,
If you were to create shortcuts for your favorite destinations, you could put them in the 'Favorite Dashboard' and have access to them from the Map Screen :)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #4523
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
If you were to create shortcuts for your favorite destinations, you could put them in the 'Favorite Dashboard' and have access to them from the Map Screen :)
Yeah, the only problem I have with creating Shortcuts to Waypoints is that the Waypoint can not be set to "read-only" on the Montana. If you accidentally delete the Waypoint you've screwed the Shortcut (technical speak).

It would be nice if the Montana Team would give us the ability to set Waypoints "read-only" (I requested it many months ago).

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #4524
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Yeah, the only problem I have with creating Shortcuts to Waypoints is that the Waypoint can not be set to "read-only" on the Montana. If you accidentally delete the Waypoint you've screwed the Shortcut (technical speak).

It would be nice if the Montana Team would give us the ability to set Waypoints "read-only" (I requested it many months ago).

Cheers,
Exactly. I have also requested Garmin allow a read only directory on the GPSr.

Seeing as how the unit will only write to the GPX directory on the Montana, I don't see why they couldn't just make the uSD card all write protected... which would prevent the user from making any changes to data on the uSD from the GPSr interface...

So long as the end user understood the limits, I do not see any reason not to do this?

I would prefer, however, Garmin simply add a new GPX2 directory and make it read only....
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #4525
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Exactly. I have also requested Garmin allow a read only directory on the GPSr.

Seeing as how the unit will only write to the GPX directory on the Montana, I don't see why they couldn't just make the uSD card all write protected... which would prevent the user from making any changes to data on the uSD from the GPSr interface...

So long as the end user understood the limits, I do not see any reason not to do this?

I would prefer, however, Garmin simply add a new GPX2 directory and make it read only....
I think I'd prefer to have Garmin respect the FAT32 File System they are using both Internally and on the µSD Card. Currently on the Montana they ignore FAT "read-only" and "locked" settings. BaseCamp (v4.0.0.6) just crashes when you try to Delete a Locked (read-only) file.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #4526
JustRon
ex-broadwayron
 
JustRon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You can detach the Cable/Connector from the Rugged Mount if you have a small T6 Torx driver. If you do remove the cable, I suggest putting it and the screws in a zip-loc bag so you don't lose the screws.

Cheers,
Thanks! I looked all over the web for that info, and found nothing.
__________________
2010 520RR
2013 TR650
JustRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #4527
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I think I'd prefer to have Garmin respect the FAT32 File System they are using both Internally and on the µSD Card. Currently on the Montana they ignore FAT "read-only" and "locked" settings. BaseCamp (v4.0.0.6) just crashes when you try to Delete a Locked (read-only) file.

Cheers,
That would work just fine for me also ;-)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #4528
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....
 
RFlagg42's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 1,139
Edit: Nevermind, it hit me as soon as I turned off my computer and put away the GPS. All the extra points cluttering the map were from my custom POI files. While I don't consider those to be the same thing as User Waypoints, the Montana obviously does. I will just move my POI file to the backup folder when I am using the Montana for this particular application.
---------------------------------------------

I am hoping someone has an idea of how to solve this issue:

I wanted to be able to see my Waypoints on the map when I zoom out far, so I went into Setup Map -> Advanced Setup -> Zoom Levels -> User Waypoints, and set that value to 120mi.

When I went to go look at the map, it was pretty much useless because all these other points besides my Waypoints completely clutter the map.

The points aren't tied to either of the maps, as I disabled every map in my GPS one by one (I usually just have the base map and CNNA enabled) and they still show up. They definitely appear and disappear at various zoom levels based on what I set the User Waypoints value to. I am guessing they are all the Cities which can be pulled up in the Where To menu, but I couldn't find any particular file on the GPS which would obviously contain that data.

Bottom line: I need those points to not be there because the map pictured above is useless to me, but I want to be able to see my Waypoints. Any ideas on how to filter those out. I am even willing to temporarily move files off the GPS for this particular application even if it means many of the POIs in the Where To section become useless.

Eric
__________________

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11

RFlagg42 screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 08:42 PM
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #4529
JD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JD's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra
Oddometer: 369
Max waypoints?

Just picked up a Montana 650T and have a couple of questions.

Can someone tell me how many waypoints a Montana 650T can store?

And also, can they be stored on the SD card somewhere or only internal memory?

Cheers,
JD
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 AM   #4530
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42 View Post
Edit: Nevermind, it hit me as soon as I turned off my computer and put away the GPS. All the extra points cluttering the map were from my custom POI files. While I don't consider those to be the same thing as User Waypoints, the Montana obviously does. I will just move my POI file to the backup folder when I am using the Montana for this particular application.
Just create a profile for each. And if you make a shortcut to each profile, it's very quick to flip from one to the other.

No need to be moving files.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014