ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #4516
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
I wholly agree with you..... Pete O Static.... just came back from a TAT ride.... East to West. End point Colorado. 5,592 miles.

Problem:

3) When Navigating and trying to either zoom in or out..the instrument always skips to a way point(pin) screen..then you have to unpin it..revert back to the zooming platform, etc..the touchpad (+)-(-) is too small an area for riding gloves..this is where the Zumo excells as you don't always have to revert to the screen.. you can push( +- )using the rubberized sidecar.

4) When stopping the map screen rotates back and forth while the Zumo is quiet and steady.

Sorry to say that I am NOT impressed with the Montana and wish that Garmin simply revamped the good old Zumo.
Sorry your unit is having issues. Glad that you'll be calling Garmin Support. Regarding the on Map zoom button size, I would agree they are not "glove friendly". I just touch the map to shift it into Browsing mode (ignoring the waypoint pin) and use the larger "+" and "-" button's to zoom - then just back out to the main Map page.

With regards to your map moving while you are not, this is a hysteresis issue with most handheld units from Garmin and others. It's not an issue with the On Road units because the sensitivity of the unit to position movement has been dampened to the point that you can't see the movement on the map (when you're in Track Up). If you were to try and use one of these road going units as a Handheld for hiking you would most likely be complaining about the lack of sensitivity (position movement) of the cursor while you were walking. By the way, if you don't want the map jumping around, just switch to North Up by touching the compass arrow on the map.

Last but not least, Garmin did "revamp the good old zumo" and it was called the zumo 660 and 665. Apparently you don't remember all of the "issues" that plagued the good old zumo's throughout their years - yes they are relatively stable now since they haven't seen any appreciable feature updates in years. Since most of the issues have been resolved over the past five years you might be safe in choosing one of those units instead of the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 11:25 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #4517
vonotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
It would have only been mentioned if someone didn't make sure that the unit was well seated in the Rugged Mount. I don't even bother to use the security screw when I use the Montana on my HP2 off-road - and I like rugged terrain. Never had any issues with the unit popping out of the mount. Having said that I do use a tether even when it's mounted on my GSA.

Cheers,
Did the TLH with the Rugged Mount. Started with the unit locked, but I wanted to use the camera so I just popped it in and out the whole time. No issues with it coming out on it's own, mount was solid.Great GPS by the way
vonotto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #4518
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Sorry your unit is having issues. Glad that you'll be calling Garmin Support. Regarding the on Map zoom button size, I would agree they are not "glove friendly". I just touch the map to shift it into Browsing mode (ignoring the waypoint pin) and use the larger "+" and "-" button's to zoom - then just back out to the main Map page.

With regards to your map moving while you are not, this is a hysteresis issue with most handheld units from Garmin and others. It's not an issue with the On Road units because the sensitivity of the unit to position movement has been dampened to the point that you can't see the movement on the map (when you're in Track Up). If you were to try and use one of these road going units as a Handheld for hiking you would most likely be complaining about the lack of sensitivity (position movement) of the cursor while you were walking. By the way, if you don't want the map jumping around, just switch to North Up by touching the compass arrow on the map.

Last but not least, Garmin did "revamp the good old zumo" and it was called the zumo 660 and 665. Apparently you don't remember all of the "issues" that plagued the good old zumo's throughout their years - yes they are relatively stable now since they haven't seen any appreciable feature updates in years. Since most of the issues have been resolved over the past five years you might be safe in choosing one of those units instead of the Montana.

Cheers,
Oh, no I'll stick with the Montana and wait 5 years for it to be perfected..no problemo. Like the unit..but I just thought from what Garmin has learned in regard to the Zumos..they would have done better with the Montana instead of still tinkering with it and waiting for our input! I guess we will remain their lab animals for a long time to come? Oh, sure I had some basic issues with the Zumo 450; touch screen...set screw...! But nothing like the Montana.

Cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #4519
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Routing issues

Don't know if it is the Montana unit - the map or basecamp.

Think it is the map.

Basecamp on my Mac - all software to date as of two days ago.

Montana - up to date as of two days ago

Map - City Nav - North America

Map enabled - base map - city nav and US topo

Navigating in Canada From Toronto to Calabogie Motorsport park - found via search on Basecamp - made waypoint - routed from waypoint home to waypoint Calabogie...

When I did this it sent me down a road called K&P trail... funny doesn't sound like a road... Google - it is a bicycle path - fun for the GS but not my Xterra loaded up for a race weekend.

Unit was plugged into the computer - and showing in basecamp.

> thinking it was the unit preferences took the unit out
> same thing
> changed preferences in basecamp to be automobile
> same thing
> changed avoidance set up to avoid narrow trails, gravel roads
> same thing
> manually routed around that
>saved to unit
> navigating to Calabogie
> unit took us to the trail (unit rerouted to the K&P trail)
>reset routing preferences while travelling on the unit to Automobile
> nothing
> reset routing preferences on unit to avoid gravel and narrow trails
> no change

Nothing I could change in basecamp or the unit changed my route at all.

I am thinking it is a map anomoly - any ideas?

Or better yet - can anyone make a route and see if their unit routes down the K&P trail - then I will know it is a map issue and not a computer/Montana unit issue.

Funny though that I cannot change the route by changing settings at all.. don't like that.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks, Dean

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #4520
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Dean, I just tried it on my computer using Basecamp (set to Aumotive) & NA 2013.1 maps & checked the whole route & it was on roads all the way. Didn't see K&P Trail you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean View Post

Think it is the map.

Navigating in Canada From Toronto to Calabogie Motorsport park - found via search on Basecamp - made waypoint - routed from waypoint home to waypoint Calabogie...

When I did this it sent me down a road called K&P trail... funny doesn't sound like a road... Google - it is a bicycle path - fun for the GS but not my Xterra loaded up for a race weekend.

> same thing
> same thing
> same thing
>saved to unit
> nothing
> no change

Or better yet - can anyone make a route and see if their unit routes down the K&P trail - then I will know it is a map issue and not a computer/Montana unit issue.

Funny though that I cannot change the route by changing settings at all.. don't like that.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks, Dean
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #4521
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:

Think it is the map.

> same thing
> same thing
> same thing
>saved to unit
> nothing
> no change

Any ideas guys?

Thanks, Dean
It sounds like you created a route in BaseCamp and then changed the Routing Properties for BaseCamp - NOT the Route in question. You needed to select the route in question in your list and open it's Properties. There you can change the Activity Mode and recalculate and/or edit the route.

Once you send the route to the Montana the along-roard route cannot be edited on the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #4522
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,723
Quote:
Why have Topo on? I find a lot of map issues happen when you run with multiple maps enabled.

K(ick) & P(ush) is fun on a dual sport but not a short cut you normally want to use.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #4523
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Why have Topo on? I find a lot of map issues happen when you run with multiple maps enabled.

K(ick) & P(ush) is fun on a dual sport but not a short cut you normally want to use.
Also, it appears that K&P only gets included in the routing if "Unpaved Roads" are allowed in your Avoidance Pref's.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #4524
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,018
It seems that most of the problems that people have had with the Montana is that it is a powerful device designed for a number of different purposes and it takes a while to learn how to use. Read the thread and find out how many of the reported problems over the last couple months were caused by user error and fixed by the excellent knowledge offered by many here. Yes, there were some problems with early devices and some beta software releases but those can be easily remedied by calling Garmin and letting them replace the unit if the problems are really in the hardware. Their customer service really is pretty good. Also, people need to understand how mapping software is developed and used and the difference between hardware, firmware and software. I've been a long time Garmin user and have had none of the reported problems with my Montana.

Before the Montana, I used a 276C and find the Montana has more capabilities and advantages than my old Garmin. I still like the old 276C, but prefer the Montana. New technologies always take some time to learn, especially ones that can be used by users with totally different requirements, but that is a good thing because they do more than the old devices. Maybe I should just sell my old 276C for $1000 to someone who isn't ready for this evolution because it is old technology that is easier to learn by those who haven't spent the time to understand the newest devices?

Sorry if this sounds a little severe to those who wanted the Montana to do what they wanted it to before learning how to use it and the mapping software, but I'm just calling it as I see it after reading this thread...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #4525
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Sorry if this sounds a little severe to those who wanted the Montana to do what they wanted it to before learning how to use it and the mapping software, but I'm just calling it as I see it after reading this thread...
Didn't sound severe to me; I think you've summed it up well. There's no doubt that some people could be having real problems, but by and large, most of us aren't. (IMHO)
Old 07-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #4526
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 930
See my post 4508 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
It seems that most of the problems that people have had with the Montana is that it is a powerful device designed for a number of different purposes and it takes a while to learn how to use. Read the thread and find out how many of the reported problems over the last couple months were caused by user error and fixed by the excellent knowledge offered by many here. Yes, there were some problems with early devices and some beta software releases but those can be easily remedied by calling Garmin and letting them replace the unit if the problems are really in the hardware. Their customer service really is pretty good. Also, people need to understand how mapping software is developed and used and the difference between hardware, firmware and software. I've been a long time Garmin user and have had none of the reported problems with my Montana.

Before the Montana, I used a 276C and find the Montana has more capabilities and advantages than my old Garmin. I still like the old 276C, but prefer the Montana. New technologies always take some time to learn, especially ones that can be used by users with totally different requirements, but that is a good thing because they do more than the old devices. Maybe I should just sell my old 276C for $1000 to someone who isn't ready for this evolution because it is old technology that is easier to learn by those who haven't spent the time to understand the newest devices?

'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #4527
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
See my post 4508 !
Great minds think alike!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #4528
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Thanks everyone... I will give it a try.

I had recalculated - and changed prefs but not the prefs for the actual route...

I will give it a try now.

!!! the K&P trail did look very cool for the GS so might be taking that in the future - good find for sure but not so good in the cage!!!

Thanks,

Dean,

PS - no complaints with this unit - love it to bits - very cool and perfect I think for dual sport... I take it everywhere - hiking, hunting, driving, riding.... even mapping my mtn bike trails.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #4529
snowbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
"Favorites" way points

Sorry if this has been covered but I can't find the answer with thread searches nor with Google.

On our Zumo 550 we can mark certain locations as "Favorite" destinations. Then when starting a trip a "Whereto" operation lets us select from those, not needing to scroll every way point that's on the machine.

Is there a way to do this on the Montana 650t?

Thanks.

rw

(Great thread here ... many thanks to all the posters! )
snowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #4530
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpeebles View Post
On our Zumo 550 we can mark certain locations as "Favorite" destinations. Then when starting a trip a "Whereto" operation lets us select from those, not needing to scroll every way point that's on the machine.

Is there a way to do this on the Montana 650t?
No, there isn't a "Favorite" category in any of the Montanas.